Brainfuse

2.7

CEO

Great

I have been working at Brainfuse

Pros

Good way to make supplemental income. I do editing, not live tutoring.

Cons

So many tutors, not enough submissions

Less tutors

Easy Pay but Horribly Managed

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Brainfuse part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Easy pay for minimal work.
    - Some monitors are friendly and do their best not to overwhelm you with several students at once.

Cons

- No training
    - If you do the writing submissions, there is no clear directions on exactly what is needed since majority of the students are unclear when submitting their papers. They don't want you to completely edit the paper (only mark glaring mistakes and fully fill out form) but then you get a trouble for not fully editing and writing too much on the form.
    - Some monitors are helpful and friendly, while others are very rude if you refuse to just give answers to the students.
    - Students can be rude and very inappropriate and nothing happens to them.
    - You are not allowed to simply give the students the answer but you get in trouble for not just giving them the answers.
    - Their rules are very contradictory and due to no training, you get in "trouble" if you don't do it right. Unfortunately, these rules depends on the interpretation of the monitors and upper management. For example, when I asked for clarification on how to do the writing submissions, upper management clearly stated what was expected and sent examples for me. When I followed these expectations, I was told I was doing it wrong and I was not paid for half of my submissions. I asked for more clarification and I never received an answer.
    - Live tutoring is easy but sometimes you will tutor 6 students at once and some monitors will harass you if you can't keep up.
    - Some emails that are sent to all the tutors are extremely rude and unprofessional when management gets upset.

The company lacks clear rules and is poorly managed. I recommend that they train all tutors before letting their employees do live tutoring and writing submissions, thus management can communicate better on what is expected of all their tutors.

Compensation is wholly inadequate for what is expected.

Former Employee - Writing Submission Reviewer
    Former Employee - Writing Submission Reviewer

I worked at Brainfuse as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You can work from home on your own schedule.

Cons

There is very little to recommend this position to an at-home contract worker.

(1) The "training" consisted of three Word documents emailed by the Program Director with no additional instruction. The documents outlined what they expected of you as an independent contractor and walked you through the basics of the system. As a fast reader and a quick learner, it took me two (unpaid) hours to read through their requirements for providing in-text comments, feedback, payment requests, and the in-house style guide.

(2) The maximum amount of time that you allowed to spend reviewing a student's work is 35 minutes. At a base rate of $10/hour (or $6.70/hour after you consider taxes), you are essentially being paid $3.88 to read and provide in-text comments for 10+ pages AND write 2-3 pages of feedback in eight separate categories. That's a lot of reading, reviewing, writing for a pretty piddly amount of money.

(3) Their instructions are not to correct a student's work but to comment in such a way that they will be able to find and correct their own mistakes. When you are working on an ESL paper, it is all but impossible to provide adequate feedback regarding proper grammar, mechanics, and writing instruction in this short amount of time. It's a disservice to a student seeking assistance when a reviewer is only able to highlight one or two sentences when almost every sentence has an error.

Work is difficult to come by in today's market, but you're better than this.

Provide better training than an emailed packet of documents. Compensate your editors for the large amount of brainpower and work that you are asking them to do. Let your editors determine the amount of time they spend on a submission.

It has been a very disorganized sloppy, misguided experience.

I worked at Brainfuse full-time

Pros

You can set your own hours. You almost guaranteed to get a student from 2pm-1am. You get paid on time and there is direct deposit. You can receive tax right offs too.

Cons

No sense of structure, no training, no way to speak verbally to management. You sometimes work with 4 students at once which is unreasonable. How can you be expected to read a 4 page paper for grammar, help another student with science, another with history and another with math? No recognition structure or extra incentive to stay past your shift. You receive emails daily we need more tutors now! Pay more or add more tutors, spamming email is not the way to get help.

Tutors are treated very bad almost at the point of being bullied.Students swear at them, some of the supervisors don't want to be bothered with requests, zero accountability. Why not pay your tutors more for working for more then one student? Add an incentive structure. Feedback is silly no research is done to hear tutor's side. Management ignores emails from you when you send feedback.

Overworked, underpaid, lots of threats

Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Brainfuse as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They always paid on time. That's about it. If you're desperate for work you can make a hot $10 an hour.

Cons

The worst part is being forced to tutor up to 3 people in disparate subjects at the same time, but not let on to any one of them that you have more than one student! The hiring process is fairly easy, but there is literally nobody to contact or talk to. You can't complain about anything at all, or you are threatened with being fired. Students are allowed to swear and say vulgar things to the tutor and nothing is done about it (and again, don't complain or you get fired). The pay is extremely low for the amount of work and stress.

You are giving poor customer service and burning out your tutors by having them tutor more than one student at a time. Raise the pay if you want to retain employees. There should be someone the employees can talk to on staff if needed.

Overall good company

I have been working at Brainfuse

Pros

Great job for good writers.

Cons

If you have little patience with bad grammar, this is not for you.

Mismanaged. Lack of work. Messy. Claustrophobic.

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Brainfuse full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a job if you are starving.

Cons

There is little direction. The office is a stilted, strange, and hostile environment. Customers are ignored regularly. Micromanagement to the point that I was asked to not e-mail back any staff members without approval. Oh and the computers are unpatched, full of viruses, and the Internet constantly goes out due to haphazard network policy. They will try not to pay you when you leave.

Irreparable. It is wrong through and through.

Flexible way to make money

I have been working at Brainfuse

Pros

Work your own hours, Direct Deposit

Cons

Students want you to do their work. Poor feedback from management.

You're on your own here

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Brainfuse as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to telecommute and set your own schedule

Cons

You're on your own
    "secret" and unreasonable tests on your skills

Increase the pay scale. Keep your promise of pay increases

Brainfuse has been an awesome company to work for since getting laid off by a proprietary university (Dr. Aaron Miller)

Current Employee - Online English and Math Tutor
    Current Employee - Online English and Math Tutor

I have been working at Brainfuse as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

*The ability to have two daily tutoring options: task assignments and online assignments
    *The ability to see your timesheet immediately after tutoring.
    *Paychecks are sent via direct deposit or mail every two weeks
    *Staff gets back to you quickly if you have questions about scheduling, etc.
    *Ability to choose your schedule for online tutoring.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say. This company is truly a blessing,