Brainfuse Reviews

Francesco Lecciso

math tutor

Current Employee - Math Tutor
    Current Employee - Math Tutor

I have been working at Brainfuse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Before Brainfuse I was doing in home tutoring and driving about 45 minutes outside the city. Saved myself the drive and now get to make my own hours.

Cons

Background check took longer than I was told.

Advice to Management

Like that you value not only student feedback, but also the tutor's.

2. Account Manager

Current Employee - Graphic Designer/Account Manager in Winnebago, IL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer/Account Manager in Winnebago, IL

I have been working at Brainfuse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Brainfuse has given me many opportunities to grow as a professional. I telecommute and travel to assist with account management. The founders are amazing to work with and always willing to listen to suggestions, questions, and issues.

Cons

There are times of year when things get overwhelming, particularly during conference season and at the start of the school year.

3. Writing Tutor

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Brainfuse as a contractor

Pros

Great opportunity to earn extra money while teaching. It also gives you great experience dealing with a wide range of students at different levels and from different parts of the country.

Cons

This job isn't for everyone. When you teach from a distance it is a lot harder than it seems. You often operate with limited knowledge of the students, especially during drop-in tutoring.

Advice to Management

More information about the students would be helpful. Other than that, I have really appreciated my three-plus years here.

Tutor

Current Contractor - Tutor
    Current Contractor - Tutor

I have been working at Brainfuse as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible scheduling, can control your own time, I enjoy helping students; overall great experience

Cons

would like more hours; sometimes work can be demanding, Brainfuse does not allow tutors to just give out answers, and sometimes some students can get upset or frustrated when they just want an answer

6. Good job if you're unemployed or just want some extra pocket change.

Current Freelancer - Online Math, History and Science Tutor in Portland, OR
    Current Freelancer - Online Math, History and Science Tutor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Brainfuse (More than a year)

Pros

It's good pocket change but it's not meant to be a real income.

Cons

The students are rude. The monitor isn't helpful.

7. Worst employer I've ever had

Former Contractor - Academic Tutor
    Former Contractor - Academic Tutor

I worked at Brainfuse as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

work from home, autonomous, set your own hours

Cons

No training, abusive management, unclear expectations, low pay, ridiculous work demands, salary demands for contract work

Someone must be getting rich from this. They certainly do not care about students and teachers.

Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Brainfuse

Pros

Work from home, easy to tutor platform.

Cons

Low pay, rude students, no accountability for students, outdated lessons, no support from management and this is not a serious job.

Advice to Management

There is so much to advise here, but I do not think theye care at all.

Easy Pay but Horribly Managed

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Brainfuse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Easy pay for minimal work.
    - Some monitors are friendly and do their best not to overwhelm you with several students at once.

Cons

- No training
    - If you do the writing submissions, there is no clear directions on exactly what is needed since majority of the students are unclear when submitting their papers. They don't want you to completely edit the paper (only mark glaring mistakes and fully fill out form) but then you get a trouble for not fully editing and writing too much on the form.
    - Some monitors are helpful and friendly, while others are very rude if you refuse to just give answers to the students.
    - Students can be rude and very inappropriate and nothing happens to them.
    - You are not allowed to simply give the students the answer but you get in trouble for not just giving them the answers.
    - Their rules are very contradictory and due to no training, you get in "trouble" if you don't do it right. Unfortunately, these rules depends on the interpretation of the monitors and upper management. For example, when I asked for clarification on how to do the writing submissions, upper management clearly stated what was expected and sent examples for me. When I followed these expectations, I was told I was doing it wrong and I was not paid for half of my submissions. I asked for more clarification and I never received an answer.
    - Live tutoring is easy but sometimes you will tutor 6 students at once and some monitors will harass you if you can't keep up.
    - Some emails that are sent to all the tutors are extremely rude and unprofessional when management gets upset.

Advice to Management

The company lacks clear rules and is poorly managed. I recommend that they train all tutors before letting their employees do live tutoring and writing submissions, thus management can communicate better on what is expected of all their tutors.

Compensation is wholly inadequate for what is expected.

Former Contractor - Writing Submission Reviewer
    Former Contractor - Writing Submission Reviewer

I worked at Brainfuse as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work from home on your own schedule.

Cons

There is very little to recommend this position to an at-home contract worker.

(1) The "training" consisted of three Word documents emailed by the Program Director with no additional instruction. The documents outlined what they expected of you as an independent contractor and walked you through the basics of the system. As a fast reader and a quick learner, it took me two (unpaid) hours to read through their requirements for providing in-text comments, feedback, payment requests, and the in-house style guide.

(2) The maximum amount of time that you allowed to spend reviewing a student's work is 35 minutes. At a base rate of $10/hour (or $6.70/hour after you consider taxes), you are essentially being paid $3.88 to read and provide in-text comments for 10+ pages AND write 2-3 pages of feedback in eight separate categories. That's a lot of reading, reviewing, writing for a pretty piddly amount of money.

(3) Their instructions are not to correct a student's work but to comment in such a way that they will be able to find and correct their own mistakes. When you are working on an ESL paper, it is all but impossible to provide adequate feedback regarding proper grammar, mechanics, and writing instruction in this short amount of time. It's a disservice to a student seeking assistance when a reviewer is only able to highlight one or two sentences when almost every sentence has an error.

Work is difficult to come by in today's market, but you're better than this.

Advice to Management

Provide better training than an emailed packet of documents. Compensate your editors for the large amount of brainpower and work that you are asking them to do. Let your editors determine the amount of time they spend on a submission.

11. Great

I have been working at Brainfuse

Pros

Good way to make supplemental income. I do editing, not live tutoring.

Cons

So many tutors, not enough submissions

Advice to Management

Less tutors