Brainfuse Reviews

2.9

CEO

Great

I have been working at Brainfuse

Pros

Good way to make supplemental income. I do editing, not live tutoring.

Cons

So many tutors, not enough submissions

Less tutors

It has been a very disorganized sloppy, misguided experience.

I worked at Brainfuse full-time

Pros

You can set your own hours. You almost guaranteed to get a student from 2pm-1am. You get paid on time and there is direct deposit. You can receive tax right offs too.

Cons

No sense of structure, no training, no way to speak verbally to management. You sometimes work with 4 students at once which is unreasonable. How can you be expected to read a 4 page paper for grammar, help another student with science, another with history and another with math? No recognition structure or extra incentive to stay past your shift. You receive emails daily we need more tutors now! Pay more or add more tutors, spamming email is not the way to get help.

Tutors are treated very bad almost at the point of being bullied.Students swear at them, some of the supervisors don't want to be bothered with requests, zero accountability. Why not pay your tutors more for working for more then one student? Add an incentive structure. Feedback is silly no research is done to hear tutor's side. Management ignores emails from you when you send feedback.

Overworked, underpaid, lots of threats

Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Brainfuse as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They always paid on time. That's about it. If you're desperate for work you can make a hot $10 an hour.

Cons

The worst part is being forced to tutor up to 3 people in disparate subjects at the same time, but not let on to any one of them that you have more than one student! The hiring process is fairly easy, but there is literally nobody to contact or talk to. You can't complain about anything at all, or you are threatened with being fired. Students are allowed to swear and say vulgar things to the tutor and nothing is done about it (and again, don't complain or you get fired). The pay is extremely low for the amount of work and stress.

You are giving poor customer service and burning out your tutors by having them tutor more than one student at a time. Raise the pay if you want to retain employees. There should be someone the employees can talk to on staff if needed.

Overall good company

I have been working at Brainfuse

Pros

Great job for good writers.

Cons

If you have little patience with bad grammar, this is not for you.

Mismanaged. Lack of work. Messy. Claustrophobic.

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Brainfuse full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a job if you are starving.

Cons

There is little direction. The office is a stilted, strange, and hostile environment. Customers are ignored regularly. Micromanagement to the point that I was asked to not e-mail back any staff members without approval. Oh and the computers are unpatched, full of viruses, and the Internet constantly goes out due to haphazard network policy. They will try not to pay you when you leave.

Irreparable. It is wrong through and through.

Flexible way to make money

I have been working at Brainfuse

Pros

Work your own hours, Direct Deposit

Cons

Students want you to do their work. Poor feedback from management.

You're on your own here

Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Brainfuse as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to telecommute and set your own schedule

Cons

You're on your own
    "secret" and unreasonable tests on your skills

Increase the pay scale. Keep your promise of pay increases

Brainfuse has been an awesome company to work for since getting laid off by a proprietary university (Dr. Aaron Miller)

Current Employee - Online English and Math Tutor
    Current Employee - Online English and Math Tutor

I have been working at Brainfuse as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

*The ability to have two daily tutoring options: task assignments and online assignments
    *The ability to see your timesheet immediately after tutoring.
    *Paychecks are sent via direct deposit or mail every two weeks
    *Staff gets back to you quickly if you have questions about scheduling, etc.
    *Ability to choose your schedule for online tutoring.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say. This company is truly a blessing,

The Company expects a lot, pays little!

Current Employee - Online Editor/Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online Editor/Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Brainfuse part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Online/at home work, provides flexibility!

Cons

The smallest part of the job is editing papers. You have to fill out a lot of documentation for each paper you, to include a separate sheet explaining all your suggested changes. Cannot put inline comments on paper. All this - they put a 15 minute limit to edit a 2 page paper (complete with all the documentation you have to complete. So I have to edit 4 papers in an hour to earn $10.

Get your system straight on necessary documentation that must be filled in for each paper. The first two weeks I worked for Brainfuse, I received six or more emails with new instructions on how to edit papers (including new documents to be filled out).
    You are asking for a well-edited paper from us - give us the time to do this!

Astonishingly poor managerial guidance & leadership

Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Brainfuse as a contractor

Pros

For me personally, I valued the online-service delivery format: I was able to telecommute from anywhere to assist online clients from anywhere. A large proportion of these clients were public-school-level students, but I also worked with a large group of clients entering the job market (or trying to promote/transfer within their fields). I cannot entirely agree with some anonymous reviews about this company, specifically reviews that complain or critique unprofessional student behaviors. My view is that students anywhere are not yet professionals, and their behaviors are no indication of the company itself.

Cons

The greatest downside has little to do with clientele. Company management practices were unsatisfactory in several areas. Employee training program design and execution was of very low quality; new-hire mentoring was virtually nonexistent; and management-tutor relations were tenuous. My management relied upon pre-made, poorly designed, and outdated training documents on MS Word--that was all. In many cases my policy- and protocol-related questions were not answered. The business brings in significant revenue through contracts with school districts, employee-development-departments, workforce development services at public library programs, etc. However, company practice does not view the front-line tutor staff as employees with value. The lack of professionalism and respect shown to the tutor staff made the choice to work elsewhere an easy one.