Brainfuse

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Overall good company

ProsGreat job for good writers.

ConsIf you have little patience with bad grammar, this is not for you.

Mismanaged. Lack of work. Messy. Claustrophobic.

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIt's a job if you are starving.

ConsThere is little direction. The office is a stilted, strange, and hostile environment. Customers are ignored regularly. Micromanagement to the point that I was asked to not e-mail back any staff members without approval. Oh and the computers are unpatched, full of viruses, and the Internet constantly goes out due to haphazard network policy. They will try not to pay you when you leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementIrreparable. It is wrong through and through.

Flexible way to make money

ProsWork your own hours, Direct Deposit

ConsStudents want you to do their work. Poor feedback from management.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You're on your own here

Tutor (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to telecommute and set your own schedule

ConsYou're on your own
    "secret" and unreasonable tests on your skills

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay scale. Keep your promise of pay increases

Brainfuse has been an awesome company to work for since getting laid off by a proprietary university (Dr. Aaron Miller)

Online English and Math Tutor (Current Employee)

Pros*The ability to have two daily tutoring options: task assignments and online assignments
    *The ability to see your timesheet immediately after tutoring.
    *Paychecks are sent via direct deposit or mail every two weeks
    *Staff gets back to you quickly if you have questions about scheduling, etc.
    *Ability to choose your schedule for online tutoring.

ConsI don't really have anything negative to say. This company is truly a blessing,

The Company expects a lot, pays little!

Online Editor/Tutor (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsOnline/at home work, provides flexibility!

ConsThe smallest part of the job is editing papers. You have to fill out a lot of documentation for each paper you, to include a separate sheet explaining all your suggested changes. Cannot put inline comments on paper. All this - they put a 15 minute limit to edit a 2 page paper (complete with all the documentation you have to complete. So I have to edit 4 papers in an hour to earn $10.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your system straight on necessary documentation that must be filled in for each paper. The first two weeks I worked for Brainfuse, I received six or more emails with new instructions on how to edit papers (including new documents to be filled out).
    You are asking for a well-edited paper from us - give us the time to do this!

Astonishingly poor managerial guidance & leadership

Tutor (Former Employee)

ProsFor me personally, I valued the online-service delivery format: I was able to telecommute from anywhere to assist online clients from anywhere. A large proportion of these clients were public-school-level students, but I also worked with a large group of clients entering the job market (or trying to promote/transfer within their fields). I cannot entirely agree with some anonymous reviews about this company, specifically reviews that complain or critique unprofessional student behaviors. My view is that students anywhere are not yet professionals, and their behaviors are no indication of the company itself.

ConsThe greatest downside has little to do with clientele. Company management practices were unsatisfactory in several areas. Employee training program design and execution was of very low quality; new-hire mentoring was virtually nonexistent; and management-tutor relations were tenuous. My management relied upon pre-made, poorly designed, and outdated training documents on MS Word--that was all. In many cases my policy- and protocol-related questions were not answered. The business brings in significant revenue through contracts with school districts, employee-development-departments, workforce development services at public library programs, etc. However, company practice does not view the front-line tutor staff as employees with value. The lack of professionalism and respect shown to the tutor staff made the choice to work elsewhere an easy one.

Can work from home but too many students

Miami, FL

ProsBrainftuse allows tutors to work online and tutoring in many subject areas as well as industry job prep. They are organized and have effective communication.

ConsIf you are approved for many topics you can frequently end up with many students (4+) who need assistance in different topics at the same time.

a very satisfying teaching job when you need to be home

Waimänalo, HI

ProsThis is a great job. I must work from home, and it gives me the flexibilityt I need. At the same time, it gives me a good opportunity to exercise my teaching muscles. Tutoring online is like nothing you've ever experience. Students zip in and out and every session presents its own challenges. It's a great way to stay current and sharp with your teaching skills.

Consonline teaching can be really draining. don't think you can just sit back and collect pay. It really takes a lot out of you so you really have to be committed to it or you won't be happy.

Advice to Senior Managementyou have made a lot of strides in making it easier for students. you should make similar strides in features for us tutors.

A perfect job for teachers who want to sharpen skills

Roanoke, VA

ProsI had a lot of difficulty finding a job even though I have a masters and am half-way through a PhD. I will eventually move on to another (hopefully more lucrative) job but this has really afforded me an opportunity to get an income while I wait. The tutoring is always different every day and i like that variety. You really have to be on your toes, though, because students come with questions from left field lots of times -- you usually get the challenging and exotic questions, because students can handle the less challenging ones on their own. It can be tough to not provide answers and focus on the process but that's what we're supposed to do so you really need to be patient and let the ideas develop. At the end of the day, you become a better teacher. This is a great job for teachers who want "trial by fire" training.

ConsWish I got more predictable hours. I guess it's the nature of the online world.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great to have a convention of tutors so we could meet management and other tutors, swap stories, best practices etc. I know it would be difficult for a lot of tutors to make such a trip but a few of us would show up!

Worked for Brainfuse? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brainfuse reviews and ratings. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Brainfuse employees.