www.brainshark.com

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.3

Joe Gustafson

Pros
  • Great products, excellent marketing support for sale, some really great people, ability to learn a lot (in 6 reviews)

• Great People, great product, amazing team building and imporoving the products at all times and decent salary (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Meager benefits: no employer 401K match, limited vacation, sick, personal time, etc (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management just wants to sell the company and get out (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Brainshark is Tanking

Current Employee - Current Employee Afraid to Disclose in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Close to the T Station so commuting to work is easy by rail.

Cons

People are leaving this company in droves. Management is clearly not experienced, stupid or both. The product is old and is having trouble in the marketplace competing with other solutions.

Do something that actually makes sense.

The worst

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brainshark full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some good people who work at the company and you occasionally get free food. The bathrooms are also pretty clean in the morning. If you like sharks, there are a few that hang from the ceiling like an aquarium. The seven year old in me was very impressed with that.

Cons

Everything else. Management is terrible, pay is terrible, benefits are terrible. The building even smells. I worked in customer service for about year, but just couldn't make it to that 365 day mark. In the span of a week we were given three times the work we had been hired to do. They also hired someone with ZERO management experience to be the support manager and guess what? She was terrible too. I have had many jobs in my day and a lot of different bosses. Never did I have one who was 100% not qualified to be in a management position. STUPID. Leaving this place was the best decision I have ever made. DON'T EVEN APPLY HERE.

go pet a puppy or something and cheer yourselves up.

"Sinking ship hits reef"

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology - good career move for technology development folks.

Cons

Almost too many to list. The Bottom line - if you are sales = stay FAR away. Low bases, shrinking commissions, lack of direction and competition eating our lunch. And a price increase???

Get a grip. Stop the sales experiment. Start charging for Slideshark

to the one that thinks Senior Management wrote a review..

I have been working at Brainshark

Pros

I can assure you that the review that you are referring to was not written by someone who is in any way part of leadership at Brainshark.

It was written by someone who, like you has been through the recent changes and has experienced the ups and downs alongside you....but believes that the changes that you seem to be so negative about are in fact the changes that are necessary to take the company to the next level.

Glassdoor is not intended to be a blog, but if so, I would ask,

-"have you ever been with a better company, and if so, why did you leave that company and come to Brainshark?"
    -"do you work hard?"
    -"are you upset that renewal business (compensation) is no longer the focus and you are not up for the task of generating new business which will pay you well and grow the business (which every other SaaS company is focused on)?"

Does the company have its challenges? Absolutely. Doesn't every company?

If you are that dissatisfied, then I encourage you to move on and free up some headcount to someone who will take advantage of a great opportunity. There are plenty of people who have and continue to try to get into Brainshark (experienced, high quality reps), because they too fully understand the opportunity and will seize it.

Respectfully,

A rep that probably sits less than 40 feet away from you

Cons

negative reviews from people who expect a utopian work environment

focus on enabling those who are on board, and begin to flush out those who are not

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun, friendly atmosphere, recently added a 401K match, impressive customer list

Cons

Company is making a solid effort but as is typical of most companies, could improve communication from Sr. Management down about direction, initiatives and health of company.

Love how Senior Management is starting to write reviews for this place...pathetic.

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool product, excellent value proposition, good pay (previously)

Cons

Where do I begin...this place is a sinking ship. The insecurity of their "leadership" is downright pathetic. The stop/start mentality of this organization is unreal. CEO is nearly absent. Blew out a bunch of sales managers to the dismay of many. Product is great, just horribly overpriced. Marketing spends their time with Slideshark. How is that going to make the company money?

Make a decision and stick with it. Also, be a bit human occasionally...it might lend you some credibility.

Good company to work for, strong, well engineered product, but needs better direction.

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Talented, and approachable coworkers. Location is close to the commuter rail.

Cons

I would like to see more innovation. Allow the engineers to be free thinkers, but this is difficult in fast pace agile environment.

Do a better job of defining the direction and the mission of the company. I am still not quite sure what this "sales enablement" push is all about.

Leadership Lost & Confused

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Brainshark full-time

Pros

Good product that really delivers if you have a need for an e-learning solution to handle training.

Cons

The company has built a 13 year reputation on training and most recently has departed from this theme into sales enablement because they need more products to sell. Complicating this there is no true sales process or sales methodology in place leaving most on their own to sink or swim. The overall morale in sales is terrible and senior management has failed to heed the signals of needed change. Senior leadership has allowed for the status quo with outdated and failed inbound marketing. Overall, marketing runs this company and the results show with the on-going frustration of sales teams to right the ship. Brainshark has the potential to be more then what they have become but not sure if the leadership really has the business acumen to get it there.

Either sell the company or go to an IPO. Hire some outside consultants quickly while you can before things go further a drift.

Don't Work Here Period!

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for the career experience of witnessing a total corporate meltdown and implosion then this is the place for you!

Cons

This company's best days are clearly behind them. They can't compete with emerging competition which is making it very difficult to earn a living as a salesperson. Additionally, the marketing is largely done by spamming the business world with repetitive emails which has resulted in Brainshark being blacklisted. On top of all this, they have raised their prices which is causing long term enterprise customers to move to the competition.

Reboot this company quick. Otherwise, it's all over.

Terrific

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, great people, getting better with age

Cons

Sales method, culture and process needs an overhaul

Brainshark Photos