Braintree Reviews

4.4
Braintree General Manager Juan Benitez
Juan Benitez

1. Featured Review

Best company I've worked at, ever

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Braintree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could easily write an extremely long list of what makes me so happy to work at Braintree, but in the interest of your time, here are the highlights: - The people - I really enjoy the company of my colleagues - like, each and every one of them is a great person and fun to be around. - Hiring - Braintree's interviews are unlike normal tech interviews. Much more emphasis is put on communication skills and personal integrity. Since we pair on interviews, devs start interviewing candidates soon after they start. (To give you an example, I interviewed my first candidate a month after I started at Braintree). - Pairing - We pair around 80-90% of the time, and pairs switch fairly often. Because of this, I have improved far more as a developer in the months I've been here than in any other role. - Importance - The code I write is responsible for handling billions of dollars. - Polyglot culture - Sharing context is encouraged. It's not unusual for an iOS dev to be working on the Python client library. - Open dev day - Like 20% time, but for the whole day every other Friday. Great for working on open source.

Cons

- Braintree doesn't prioritize open source work as highly as one might want - priority is given to building new features (although this is changing). - (At least in the Bay Area) Stripe dominates PR and developer mindshare in the payments space, not as many people know of Braintree.

Advice to Management

No complaints here. It's clear that senior management at Braintree takes their job very seriously. If you bring something up, they actually listen and do something about it.

Absolutely love this company.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree

Pros

Great work environment, flexible work schedule, awesome perks and amazing people. People care about coming to work every day.

Cons

We're part of PayPal and sometimes the overhang can get a little annoying. Most of the time they keep to themselves, but every once in a while you feel like the daughter company instead of the sister.

Advice to Management

I wish there were more being done internally to track our achievements. I'd love to know how we're doing aside from TPV.

3. Better before Paypal

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Braintree

Pros

- Awesome people - Great tech - All the perks of a well-funded startup, catered lunch, ping pong, etc - Fast moving, little bureaucracy

Cons

Poor management on some teams

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your talent

5. I worked at Braintree

I worked at Braintree

Pros

9 different coffee machines and paid meals. standing desks they use slack

Cons

Identity crisis between Venmo/Braintree/PayPal/eBay PayPal implemented their processes and systems which were cumbersome and impractical Lack of communication and transparency from management Their new office space lacks natural light and feels like a maze getting around. No soda, sweets, or any chocolate

6. Marketer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super smart people, fun office environment, great perks (free lunch, stocked kitchen). Flexibility to work remotely when needed.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Also Braintree is starting to feel more like PayPal since we got acquired by them. They are bringing people over from PayPal who don't understand the Braintree culture and imposing a lot of the PayPal style on us.

Advice to Management

Be careful about who you bring over to Braintree. Make sure they understand the Braintree culture and values and are willing to respect them.

Great workplace!

Current Employee - Support Treep in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Support Treep in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired fairly recently and work as part of the support staff. Many other reviews go over the same pros, but: - Amazing office with a variety of different conference rooms, lounges, little comfy spaces that would suit almost anyone - Automatically adjustable desks so you can switch between standing and sitting as often as you like - Super transparent management that really cares and treats you like adults (this is weirdly rare in support jobs and I value it a lot) - Great coworkers - literally everyone I've met has been kind and welcoming - They value diversity... the company recently sponsored a fellowship for Dev Bootcamp for underrepresented gender/racial groups. I also feel like they really value having employees that are different. Some of the people there are quirky, and it seems like this is not only accepted, but valued. - I work on a team of mostly men (which I was nervous about) but they have all been so kind and welcoming and inclusive - Super delicious coffee, snacks, beverages, and daily catered lunches - Flexibility to work from home on days you're not feeling great but aren't so sick you need a PTO day - Very affordable medical/dental/vision benefits as well as a multitude of other great benefits (transit reimbursement, generous PTO, sabbatical after 5 years) - Fair, competitive compensation

Cons

- Sometimes it does feel like working in a Silicon Valley episode... But honestly that's not really a con. - I feel a little unclear on what a career path might look like there and what kind of opportunities I would have in the future, but I've only recently started and haven't taken the time to ask.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Especially - continue to be transparent, treat employees with utmost respect, and encourage feedback.

Mid-Market Sales

I worked at Braintree

Pros

The office is very cool.

Cons

The boss has his favorites and they are taken care of way more than the rest of the team regardless of performance. If you challenge something, be prepared to be in the dog house.

Designer

Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree full-time

Pros

Wonderful perks - probably the best in the area. Open dev days were you get to work on whatever you'd like, 2 paid conferences a year (and they cover all your expenses). Everyone gets brand new equipment - macbook pro and cinema display. Tons of free swag that keeps on coming (backpacks, shirts, hoodies, thermo bottles, etc). Health/time off benefits are nice. Laid back, open atmosphere. A beautiful new office in the Merchandise Mart. Catered lunch everyday from really good local places. Snacks and drinks on hand at all times. A wellness room, mother's room, bar with kegs on tap, high end ping pong and foosball tables, scooters to get around the office, etc. And there's even more then that and they are open to new ideas to help improve the space. As for the work, it's challenging and motivating. You may think, "what would I do as a designer at a company like Braintree?" But there is A LOT. The design team is broken up by product, and visual. Product as it states, works on our products - really making a difference in how our users/merchants are able to use what we build, and they make it beautiful. They are a hybrid of designer and developer. Visual works on a lot of brand design including materials for events, new programs, swag, and a lot of other internal projects. They make Braintree look good. A product company like Braintree is a great change coming from an agency - there aren't annoyances like time sheets to fill out or a push for a strict process. There are no pitches you are required to work late nights and weekends on. Rarely will you work on a weekend or after hours. You don't have clients, and you are really able to influence your work. And you're compensated for your work, not how high you move up - in fact hierarchy on the team is very minimal. If you want to be a designer here, you can be a designer. You don't need to stop designing in order to escalate your career. And we work together and there isn't that sense of competition.

Cons

Downsides come from Braintree having a start up mentality - what feels like downsides are more like challenges. We have an opportunity to really shape what we want our team to be - how much process do we really want? Where do we need hierarchy in our team? How do we want to work with the other teams in the office who may have a different mentality and different goals then us? It can be frustrating at times, and not everyone always feels on the same page... but if you look at the big picture it's it's nice to know we can make mistakes and try new things to find what works best for us. Another con in some people's eyes would be the fact we use an outside agency to develop our branding. We split a lot of work between the agency and our visual design team. It feels like 2 different teams working on 1 common goal, and that can bring inconsistencies in the work and goals of the brand. To be fair, our visual team is small - so the task of rebranding Braintree wasn't an option to do in house. It's been a challenge finding a way to work together, and have a voice on the overall brand. But again, it's a learning experience and finding how we can contribute and where we can make an impact is something we are working on and making strides towards.

Braintree is an amazing place to be a builder

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Braintree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredibly friendly and down to earth - Zero arrogance and strong emphasis on patience and humility - Ability to make an impact quickly - Amazing offices with lots of amenities, great (free) food & outings - Small company culture with the security / resources of a large public company - True balance between work + life

Cons

- Sometimes slow decision making - Growing into a more medium sized company, so takes more effort to get to know everyone

11. Awesome, smart team. Get to plan a big part in product decisions and still feels like a smaller start-up

Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Braintree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Catered breakfast/lunch * industry-leading benefits (via PayPal/eBay) * good work/life expectations (40~50 hour weeks) * office space is nice with kitchenettes, scooters, premium coffee, adjustable desks, etc * healthy investigation of latest technologies * individualism is embraced

Cons

Corporate vacation policy seems to be lacking. This may change with the announces split of PayPal/eBay this year. The current maternity/paternity benefit is amazing, but uncertain how this will change the second half of 2015.

RSS Feed </> Embed