Brake Check Reviews

1.7
David Peveto

1. Lead Tech

I have been working at Brake Check

Pros

Great employees, and good feel. Lots of business..

Cons

bad pay..don't pay pto.. corporate wont take care of any issues..

2. management

Former Employee - Store Manager in Tomball, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Tomball, TX

I worked at Brake Check (More than a year)

Pros

Store hours are not bad. All close at 6pm.

Cons

Managers ,especially upper management have little to no auto repair experience too many hours for amount paid. no paid holidays. Most stores do not do enough business to bonus much.

Advice to Management

Would only fall on deaf ears. If you have been in one their meetings you would understand.

3. Alignment Technician

Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Brake Check full-time

Pros

The employees. I like this job.

Cons

This is my 2nd time at a store. Worked in Austin for half a yr but got fed up with how everything was being ran...the whole latter!!! I told myself not to ever come back but I did. Only thing I ask for is a decent sized break room, some hours for family time (jus stay closed Sundays), more pay; especially if you have your OWN tools and have knowlege of the business

Advice to Management

Listen to the guys that keep your families mouths fed, everything you have is because of US .... it isn't always about you all....maybe if you all acted like mature adults of this civilization, than we all would have a better lifestyle....quit being too demanding of things. And lastly, NOTHING EVER GOES AS PLANNED, unless you have done the work personally, than I'll listen to your advice. Other than that...let me work my magic.

5. Manager

I have been working at Brake Check

Pros

None at all!!! Really I wish I could think of something positive to say...

Cons

Negativity runs rampant. Upper management talks down to everyone but customers.

6. Over-worked, under paid, high employee turnover

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for a company to start a management career in, Brake Check will hire almost anyone with a little sales background. Also, if you have a criminal record and cannot find work, try Brake Check. You could make more working for McDonald's, but not sure if McDonald's hires criminals.

Cons

If you value your family, Brake Check is not the place to work in a management role. You will work 5 1/2 to 6 days a week and 11 - 14 hour shifts. You will leave home when it's still dark out and get home when it's dark out. You are required to work a minimum of 55 hours/week; otherwise, they will dock your pay (not truly salary). They have a strict dress code, but you are responsible for purchasing those items (logo shirts and jackets). You do not earn vacation pay until you have worked there for 6 months. They will tear you down if sales are down for the day. Somehow, managers are responsible for attracting customers, not just selling services. And if you are a professional and show them the respect and courtesy of giving a 2-week notice when you resign, they will terminate you without pay. It is no wonder managers do not stay too long if they do not have to.

Advice to Management

Consider improving work hours and pay if you want to keep management around longer than you have been able to. Also, if you expect management to pay you the courtesy of providing a 2-week notice to resign, pay the same courtesy of allowing them to close all ties and allow you to find a replacement. Dumping the work load onto other managers is not professional and completely unfair to the managers and their families.

7. BEWARE OF CROOKED COMPANY!!!

I worked at Brake Check full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on who likes you, you can make a decent salary.

Cons

You are expected to do work without any training. The lack of training in the company is unreal. As a Manager, you are taught to up sell on all repair orders, even if they don't need the work. Sales are everything to them and they don't care what you do to get them. Some people are treated better than others and some jobs are saved depending on who you get along with. This company is crooked and and most of the higher managers are as well. They have been taught this way and that is their "culture" that has been passed down for many, many years. To anyone who may be considering a job here, please think twice. You will work 60 hours a week with only one day off. Nobody cares how much you give because at the end of they day, if you don't have any enough sales, you are nothing to them.

Advice to Management

If they could only listen to their employees and their requests on how to make the company better. Take care of your employees because they will take care of you.

8. Company that only cares about upper management

Former Employee - Service Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Brake Check

Pros

If u need a job.

Cons

Little pay longs hours always feels like your job is on the line.

Advice to Management

Owners need to be involved. If you want to be a family company act like ononr.

9. Complete disappointment

Current Employee - Store Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Brake Check full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good, hard working employees giving all they got to get the job done right.

Cons

You will be sold on the amount of money you can make working here, but it simply isn't true. Executive staff will paint the picture of all sorts of money they are making, but when you start running the stores the reality sets in. You will work in excess of 65 hours a week under constant pressure to sell unnecessary parts and services. When you don't sell them, you are looked on as bad manager. At the same time, they are constantly preeching on how the business is based on integrity. They start off by telling would be employees that they can make upto 16% of profit. However, it would take an act of God for anyone to sell enough parts and services to meet those numbers. The reality is that you will get 10% of profits. Unfortunately, even if you sell the budgeted amount, after all the expenses are deductions from the gross profit, you will end up with an average of $500 a month in commission. So after all your work, you end up making just slightly above minimum wage. Except you had to work 65 hours or more a week to get that.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees from the beginning. Lying to employees and then defending yourself by saying " let me see that in writing" is a poor example of management practice. The turnover rate of employees is phenominal due to the lies being told.

10. INSANITY, they do the same thing over and over and expecting different results!

I have been working at Brake Check full-time

Pros

They will hire anyone breathing for $8 per/hr.

Cons

Be warned that if you apply to this company that you’re personal information could be left out in the open for everyone to see!! This includes your drug test results and SSN. Shady company and problem ridden management. The benefits are terrible! They offer a health plan that pays only 60%. Can't retain any talented employees. They sell you a load of crap and it’s too late after you accept a job and have learned the truth. Disorganized and completely unethical in their operations. The communication is horrible and there are no basic processes in place to handle even the littlest thing. Beware!! Read all of this reviews and know that all the negative things said here are absolutely 100% true.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is get a clue! So, be warned that if you interact with this company, there is the complete possibility that everyone and anyone can/will know your personal information. This includes things like your SSN, how many kids you have, your address, birthdate, if you are apply for a mortgage, and drug test results. When these people take in your personal information and who knows what will happen to it when it reaches their hands. The reason is …. There no process in place, written or otherwise, therefore there are no safe guards in place. But, all the problems stem from the top. The owner fancies himself as a visionary but the truth is he is petulant brat and doesn’t like for anyone to speak against him and his whimsical ideas. He changes his mind everyday just like he changes his underwear and unfortunately every employee is subject to his whims. Think of the childhood story of the Emperor’s New Clothes and that is how the employees treat this guy and his ever changing mind and ideas. And, as an employee, never bring up a problem that needs to be addressed. From day one, your fellow coworkers will tell you don’t saying anything, ever! Don’t speak up in a meeting, don’t make suggestions, don’t point out a problem costing the company money, don’t talk about their family,and never ever speak out against the owner's ideas because, he can't stand to hear anything he perceives as negative. Don’t talk in meetings and try to avoid answering any questions is what your coworkers will say. Everybody there adheres to this don’t talk, don’t tell policy. Essentially, no one can tell this man that he running around naked. He is comparable to an ostrich with his head in the sand and his big indulged butt in the air exposed for the world to see. Learn to take constructive comments from you team….you’ll go much further, with a purpose and a real direction. Have an outside company audit all your books. Install a piece of technology in the accounting department that allows you listen and see in real time what is happening. You’ll be surprised how much you learn by these suggestions!

11. You Don't Want to Work Here

I worked at Brake Check full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only thing I can consider a pro is that if you want a job and are breathing, you'll get one here.

Cons

The company culture sucks. It's a family-owned business and all they care about is me, me, me. What's good for me. What's in it for me. How do I win in this?

Advice to Management

Pay your techs some real money and give them some real training. Polish your interview process and get your recruiter, your operations people and your managers up to snuff on how to handle an interview and keep it legal. Quit overworking your managers. You're running them off. Act like you care!

RSS Feed </> Embed