Brake Check Reviews

David Peveto

Overworked and underpaid. I felt like outsourced Chinese labor

Former Employee - Brake Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Brake Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Team/family environment. Got along with everyone really well, still talk to my coworkers and managers. Good chance to learn a lot from people who know a lot, and make mistakes on someone else's dollar. Good benefits, 401k matched 1for1, 2 weeks PTO. Understanding about things that come up in your life as long as its not consistent. 1 hr lunch. The work isn't too difficult. I really liked my job a lot and wish the company could have done more to make it work for me. They really did as much as they could to try and keep me but the reality is it wasn't enough.

Cons

Loooooowwww pay. Most places start you off around $10-12/hr as a tech with no experience, Brake Check starts you at $8.00, and it is a long tedious process to get a raise, which come in increments of $0.50. You must maintain a 50% production rate (meaning you make the company 50% more than they pay you per week, my highest was a 96%) complete several online modules (3 complete gets you a 50 cent raise, 1 takes about an hour or 2) and between working long hours and being a full time student i found it impossible to find time to complete these and the company was unwilling to make any changes for me to get my raise. But they had no problem asking me to use the skills i had learned to complete bigger and more expensive jobs, in other words they were making more money off me without having to pay me more. I worked for this company for only six months and they burned me out. They constantly put me on closing shifts (10-7) when i had asked multiple time to be an opener (7-3) so that i would have to rest of the day to run errands and get to the comp lab at on campus before it closed (at 6). We close at 6pm and customers would always show up 15-20min before closing needing a 2hr job complete and the manager would always take the job not caring how late we would be there. Each store runs off a projected budget so any profit over budget at the end of the month becomes the shop manager's bonus, so he would always take any car he could no matter how close to closing time and no matter how big of a job because it all affects his bonus. I understand he has to do what he can to make his money but after staying late every shift 2 weeks in a row you start to wonder what your getting out of it, because as you came closer to hitting over 40hrs that week, he would start to cut your hrs so he wouldn't have to pay you overtime. Only after i put in my two weeks was i finally offered my raise that was long overdue and to make adjustments to my schedule. They even tried offering me a $2.00 raise to stay but $10/hr still wasn't enough for what i was owed. I got ahold of a pay rate sheet that was "for managers eyes only" and it listed the requirement needed to achieve a certain pay. I qualified to receive $10/hr over 2 months before seeing the sheet, it was at that point i decided to quit.

My managers were awesome, its the company that was screwing me.

2. Over-worked, under paid, high employee turnover

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for a company to start a management career in, Brake Check will hire almost anyone with a little sales background. Also, if you have a criminal record and cannot find work, try Brake Check. You could make more working for McDonald's, but not sure if McDonald's hires criminals.

Cons

If you value your family, Brake Check is not the place to work in a management role. You will work 5 1/2 to 6 days a week and 11 - 14 hour shifts. You will leave home when it's still dark out and get home when it's dark out. You are required to work a minimum of 55 hours/week; otherwise, they will dock your pay (not truly salary). They have a strict dress code, but you are responsible for purchasing those items (logo shirts and jackets). You do not earn vacation pay until you have worked there for 6 months. They will tear you down if sales are down for the day. Somehow, managers are responsible for attracting customers, not just selling services. And if you are a professional and show them the respect and courtesy of giving a 2-week notice when you resign, they will terminate you without pay. It is no wonder managers do not stay too long if they do not have to.

Consider improving work hours and pay if you want to keep management around longer than you have been able to. Also, if you expect management to pay you the courtesy of providing a 2-week notice to resign, pay the same courtesy of allowing them to close all ties and allow you to find a replacement. Dumping the work load onto other managers is not professional and completely unfair to the managers and their families.

3. BEWARE OF CROOKED COMPANY!!!

I worked at Brake Check full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Depending on who likes you, you can make a decent salary.

Cons

You are expected to do work without any training. The lack of training in the company is unreal. As a Manager, you are taught to up sell on all repair orders, even if they don't need the work. Sales are everything to them and they don't care what you do to get them. Some people are treated better than others and some jobs are saved depending on who you get along with.

This company is crooked and and most of the higher managers are as well. They have been taught this way and that is their "culture" that has been passed down for many, many years.

To anyone who may be considering a job here, please think twice. You will work 60 hours a week with only one day off. Nobody cares how much you give because at the end of they day, if you don't have any enough sales, you are nothing to them.

If they could only listen to their employees and their requests on how to make the company better. Take care of your employees because they will take care of you.

5. Company that only cares about upper management

Former Employee - Service Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Brake Check

Pros

If u need a job.

Cons

Little pay longs hours always feels like your job is on the line.

Owners need to be involved. If you want to be a family company act like ononr.

6. Complete disappointment

Current Employee - Store Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Brake Check full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good, hard working employees giving all they got to get the job done right.

Cons

You will be sold on the amount of money you can make working here, but it simply isn't true. Executive staff will paint the picture of all sorts of money they are making, but when you start running the stores the reality sets in. You will work in excess of 65 hours a week under constant pressure to sell unnecessary parts and services. When you don't sell them, you are looked on as bad manager. At the same time, they are constantly preeching on how the business is based on integrity. They start off by telling would be employees that they can make upto 16% of profit. However, it would take an act of God for anyone to sell enough parts and services to meet those numbers. The reality is that you will get 10% of profits. Unfortunately, even if you sell the budgeted amount, after all the expenses are deductions from the gross profit, you will end up with an average of $500 a month in commission. So after all your work, you end up making just slightly above minimum wage. Except you had to work 65 hours or more a week to get that.

Be honest with employees from the beginning. Lying to employees and then defending yourself by saying " let me see that in writing" is a poor example of management practice. The turnover rate of employees is phenominal due to the lies being told.

7. INSANITY, they do the same thing over and over and expecting different results!

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Brake Check full-time

Pros

They will hire anyone breathing for $8 per/hr.

Cons

Be warned that if you apply to this company that you’re personal information could be left out in the open for everyone to see!! This includes your drug test results and SSN. Shady company and problem ridden management. The benefits are terrible! They offer a health plan that pays only 60%. Can't retain any talented employees. They sell you a load of crap and it’s too late after you accept a job and have learned the truth. Disorganized and completely unethical in their operations. The communication is horrible and there are no basic processes in place to handle even the littlest thing. Beware!! Read all of this reviews and know that all the negative things said here are absolutely 100% true.

My advice to management is get a clue! So, be warned that if you interact with this company, there is the complete possibility that everyone and anyone can/will know your personal information. This includes things like your SSN, how many kids you have, your address, birthdate, if you are apply for a mortgage, and drug test results. When these people take in your personal information and who knows what will happen to it when it reaches their hands. The reason is …. There no process in place, written or otherwise, therefore there are no safe guards in place. But, all the problems stem from the top. The owner fancies himself as a visionary but the truth is he is petulant brat and doesn’t like for anyone to speak against him and his whimsical ideas. He changes his mind everyday just like he changes his underwear and unfortunately every employee is subject to his whims. Think of the childhood story of the Emperor’s New Clothes and that is how the employees treat this guy and his ever changing mind and ideas. And, as an employee, never bring up a problem that needs to be addressed. From day one, your fellow coworkers will tell you don’t saying anything, ever! Don’t speak up in a meeting, don’t make suggestions, don’t point out a problem costing the company money, don’t talk about their family,and never ever speak out against the owner's ideas because, he can't stand to hear anything he perceives as negative. Don’t talk in meetings and try to avoid answering any questions is what your coworkers will say. Everybody there adheres to this don’t talk, don’t tell policy. Essentially, no one can tell this man that he running around naked. He is comparable to an ostrich with his head in the sand and his big indulged butt in the air exposed for the world to see. Learn to take constructive comments from you team….you’ll go much further, with a purpose and a real direction. Have an outside company audit all your books. Install a piece of technology in the accounting department that allows you listen and see in real time what is happening. You’ll be surprised how much you learn by these suggestions!

8. You Don't Want to Work Here

I worked at Brake Check full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only thing I can consider a pro is that if you want a job and are breathing, you'll get one here.

Cons

The company culture sucks. It's a family-owned business and all they care about is me, me, me. What's good for me. What's in it for me. How do I win in this?

Pay your techs some real money and give them some real training. Polish your interview process and get your recruiter, your operations people and your managers up to snuff on how to handle an interview and keep it legal. Quit overworking your managers. You're running them off. Act like you care!

9. I never worked for a job this bad off

Current Employee - Auto Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Auto Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brake Check full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a stepping stone get hired quick make a little money until you find another job leave fast

Cons

bad benefits stressed out all the time hard to get a raise. Watching people get screwed out of there money all the time

The people you hire should not only be sales men they should have some basic knowledge about cars telling a customer his starter went out because he tried to install his head light is just not accceptable

Decent Company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company, not going anywhere anytime soon, good training program, casual, not a lot of office politics. laid back, great co workers

Cons

awful hours, unappreciative of hard work. will fire you at the drop of a hat. PTO is hard to take with the coverage and hours you work

Learn to appreciate the little guys who keep your business going. Dont over look or push off ideas from the people who actually do the tasks at hand

11. Under Appreciated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Can not think of any

Cons

Don't expect any type of raise from this company. They will promise you that you will make A LOT of money in your interview but you will regret it later.

Stop yelling at your managers that's why there is a HUGE turn over at all the Brake Check Stores. Pay them what they are worth.