Brake Check

Add Photos

David Peveto

Overworked and underpaid. I felt like outsourced Chinese labor

Brake Technician (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTeam/family environment. Got along with everyone really well, still talk to my coworkers and managers. Good chance to learn a lot from people who know a lot, and make mistakes on someone else's dollar. Good benefits, 401k matched 1for1, 2 weeks PTO. Understanding about things that come up in your life as long as its not consistent. 1 hr lunch. The work isn't too difficult. I really liked my job a lot and wish the company could have done more to make it work for me. They really did as much as they could to try and keep me but the reality is it wasn't enough.

ConsLoooooowwww pay. Most places start you off around $10-12/hr as a tech with no experience, Brake Check starts you at $8.00, and it is a long tedious process to get a raise, which come in increments of $0.50. You must maintain a 50% production rate (meaning you make the company 50% more than they pay you per week, my highest was a 96%) complete several online modules (3 complete gets you a 50 cent raise, 1 takes about an hour or 2) and between working long hours and being a full time student i found it impossible to find time to complete these and the company was unwilling to make any changes for me to get my raise. But they had no problem asking me to use the skills i had learned to complete bigger and more expensive jobs, in other words they were making more money off me without having to pay me more. I worked for this company for only six months and they burned me out. They constantly put me on closing shifts (10-7) when i had asked multiple time to be an opener (7-3) so that i would have to rest of the day to run errands and get to the comp lab at on campus before it closed (at 6). We close at 6pm and customers would always show up 15-20min before closing needing a 2hr job complete and the manager would always take the job not caring how late we would be there. Each store runs off a projected budget so any profit over budget at the end of the month becomes the shop manager's bonus, so he would always take any car he could no matter how close to closing time and no matter how big of a job because it all affects his bonus. I understand he has to do what he can to make his money but after staying late every shift 2 weeks in a row you start to wonder what your getting out of it, because as you came closer to hitting over 40hrs that week, he would start to cut your hrs so he wouldn't have to pay you overtime. Only after i put in my two weeks was i finally offered my raise that was long overdue and to make adjustments to my schedule. They even tried offering me a $2.00 raise to stay but $10/hr still wasn't enough for what i was owed. I got ahold of a pay rate sheet that was "for managers eyes only" and it listed the requirement needed to achieve a certain pay. I qualified to receive $10/hr over 2 months before seeing the sheet, it was at that point i decided to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy managers were awesome, its the company that was screwing me.

Decent Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsStable company, not going anywhere anytime soon, good training program, casual, not a lot of office politics. laid back, great co workers

Consawful hours, unappreciative of hard work. will fire you at the drop of a hat. PTO is hard to take with the coverage and hours you work

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to appreciate the little guys who keep your business going. Dont over look or push off ideas from the people who actually do the tasks at hand

Under Appreciated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCan not think of any

ConsDon't expect any type of raise from this company. They will promise you that you will make A LOT of money in your interview but you will regret it later.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop yelling at your managers that's why there is a HUGE turn over at all the Brake Check Stores. Pay them what they are worth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could not get out fast enough

Service Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsCustomers were great and some technicians were too. Employee discounts were decent.

ConsHours were too long and not necessary. Supervisors were not capable of getting the best out you. Company hires too green of employees and the training takes too long. No succession planning, no development plan, no performance management. Cameras are watched by management who call the store to supervise.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek talent among the staff. Allow managers to hire their own staff. Develop a succession plan. Revamp training and development of staff. Follow the company outline for promotion. Use performance management to rid the company of under performing technicians and management.

Under appreciated.

Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsHonestly couldn't find any positives.

ConsManagers work 5 1/2 days a week averaging 63 hours. Was told it was a temporary thing when hired but realized that was the norm.

A very dissapointing employer from start to finish, wish I had never accepted the offer of employment.

Service Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsA great place to begin a management position, if you are looking for manager 101 and are willing to work over 60 hours per week forever and give up your personal life to begin a management career, this may be the place for you. Income is good enough for a fist time manager, not a seasoned manager. Company will hire basically anyone who submits application. Nice place to begin career as an automotive technition, no experience required.

ConsThe upper management seems to be so wishy washy with changes in policy, as an employee on all store levels, ie. technitions, service managers, store directors, it's very difficult to maintain self confidence. Extremely high turnover rate at all levels, worst I've seen in 20 years of management. Employment ads are misrepresented and emlpoyees wont know until it's too late. Major lack in communication between corporate employees and store level management. The absolute best example of the term micromanagement, I have ever worked under.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelope a set in stone business plan, treat store level staff with respect, properly train and maintain management personel, reduce work hrs for management staff to allow them time with their family, provide better benefits for store level employees etc. etc.

Brake Check

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is a great opportunity for anyone with no experience.

ConsA lot of hours, work/life balance not that great.

The worst job I've ever had, by far

Brake Technician (Former Employee) San Marcos, TX

ProsYou get plenty of hours. Sometimes you get to interact directly with customers. Open 7 days a week, even though almost nobody comes by on Sunday. They are nominally willing to train inexperienced technicians, but in practice I found that this was lacking.

ConsHigh pressure to sell unnecessary parts and services. No respect by the management for their technicians. Minimum wage unless you make commissions. It is difficult to make enough sales to have commissions unless you are an experienced tech and business is good. If business is slow, and you get all oil changes and alignments, that's often not possible. Basically, if you have enough work that you'd get paid well, they're going to hire somebody else, so nobody makes more than min. wage. You have to sell a fair amount every single day just to earn as much as you would at McDonald's.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving no other experience in technician work before, I can't comment on how well-run the company is. Maybe they're all somewhat like this, although I can't fathom that at Jiffy Lube or similar they have targets for sales this high and commission percentages this low.

Poor Company Policies for Customer Complaints

Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Proswill take anyone thats breathing.

Constheir policies on fixing vehicles are crap as far as customer service goes. If a vehicles braking system still is squeaking then they have to fix everything brake related before they would warranty out the brake pads that are good enough quality to stop a vehicle but still super shitty pads. They just make it hard to do your job. They hand you crap and tell you to make your customers love the taste of it. Almost every one that works there is a felon too so thats why the employees put up with the long hours and subjective pay.

Awesome

Operations (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros40% off all repairs and maintenance. Honest coworkers. If you work hard, you are rewarded. It's not easy, but it pays of in the end. There is a lot of opportunity for growth. GREAT health insurance and Paid Time Off plan.

ConsSometimes customers get a little heated and angry. It's part of the job, but you learn how to handle each situation differently.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to cheat the system. Don't slack off. Don't ask for more than what you've earned.

Worked for Brake Check? Contribute to the Community!