Brake Check

Overworked and underpaid. I felt like outsourced Chinese labor

Former Employee - Brake Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Brake Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time for less than a year

Pros

Team/family environment. Got along with everyone really well, still talk to my coworkers and managers. Good chance to learn a lot from people who know a lot, and make mistakes on someone else's dollar. Good benefits, 401k matched 1for1, 2 weeks PTO. Understanding about things that come up in your life as long as its not consistent. 1 hr lunch. The work isn't too difficult. I really liked my job a lot and wish the company could have done more to make it work for me. They really did as much as they could to try and keep me but the reality is it wasn't enough.

Cons

Loooooowwww pay. Most places start you off around $10-12/hr as a tech with no experience, Brake Check starts you at $8.00, and it is a long tedious process to get a raise, which come in increments of $0.50. You must maintain a 50% production rate (meaning you make the company 50% more than they pay you per week, my highest was a 96%) complete several online modules (3 complete gets you a 50 cent raise, 1 takes about an hour or 2) and between working long hours and being a full time student i found it impossible to find time to complete these and the company was unwilling to make any changes for me to get my raise. But they had no problem asking me to use the skills i had learned to complete bigger and more expensive jobs, in other words they were making more money off me without having to pay me more. I worked for this company for only six months and they burned me out. They constantly put me on closing shifts (10-7) when i had asked multiple time to be an opener (7-3) so that i would have to rest of the day to run errands and get to the comp lab at on campus before it closed (at 6). We close at 6pm and customers would always show up 15-20min before closing needing a 2hr job complete and the manager would always take the job not caring how late we would be there. Each store runs off a projected budget so any profit over budget at the end of the month becomes the shop manager's bonus, so he would always take any car he could no matter how close to closing time and no matter how big of a job because it all affects his bonus. I understand he has to do what he can to make his money but after staying late every shift 2 weeks in a row you start to wonder what your getting out of it, because as you came closer to hitting over 40hrs that week, he would start to cut your hrs so he wouldn't have to pay you overtime. Only after i put in my two weeks was i finally offered my raise that was long overdue and to make adjustments to my schedule. They even tried offering me a $2.00 raise to stay but $10/hr still wasn't enough for what i was owed. I got ahold of a pay rate sheet that was "for managers eyes only" and it listed the requirement needed to achieve a certain pay. I qualified to receive $10/hr over 2 months before seeing the sheet, it was at that point i decided to quit.

My managers were awesome, its the company that was screwing me.

You Don't Want to Work Here

I worked at Brake Check full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only thing I can consider a pro is that if you want a job and are breathing, you'll get one here.

Cons

The company culture sucks. It's a family-owned business and all they care about is me, me, me. What's good for me. What's in it for me. How do I win in this?

Pay your techs some real money and give them some real training. Polish your interview process and get your recruiter, your operations people and your managers up to snuff on how to handle an interview and keep it legal. Quit overworking your managers. You're running them off. Act like you care!

I never worked for a job this bad off

Current Employee - Auto Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Auto Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brake Check full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a stepping stone get hired quick make a little money until you find another job leave fast

Cons

bad benefits stressed out all the time hard to get a raise. Watching people get screwed out of there money all the time

The people you hire should not only be sales men they should have some basic knowledge about cars telling a customer his starter went out because he tried to install his head light is just not accceptable

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent Company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable company, not going anywhere anytime soon, good training program, casual, not a lot of office politics. laid back, great co workers

Cons

awful hours, unappreciative of hard work. will fire you at the drop of a hat. PTO is hard to take with the coverage and hours you work

Learn to appreciate the little guys who keep your business going. Dont over look or push off ideas from the people who actually do the tasks at hand

Under Appreciated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can not think of any

Cons

Don't expect any type of raise from this company. They will promise you that you will make A LOT of money in your interview but you will regret it later.

Stop yelling at your managers that's why there is a HUGE turn over at all the Brake Check Stores. Pay them what they are worth.

Could not get out fast enough

Current Employee - Service Manager  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Service Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Brake Check full-time for less than a year

Pros

Customers were great and some technicians were too. Employee discounts were decent.

Cons

Hours were too long and not necessary. Supervisors were not capable of getting the best out you. Company hires too green of employees and the training takes too long. No succession planning, no development plan, no performance management. Cameras are watched by management who call the store to supervise.

Seek talent among the staff. Allow managers to hire their own staff. Develop a succession plan. Revamp training and development of staff. Follow the company outline for promotion. Use performance management to rid the company of under performing technicians and management.

Under appreciated.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly couldn't find any positives.

Cons

Managers work 5 1/2 days a week averaging 63 hours. Was told it was a temporary thing when hired but realized that was the norm.

A very dissapointing employer from start to finish, wish I had never accepted the offer of employment.

Former Employee - Service Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time for less than a year

Pros

A great place to begin a management position, if you are looking for manager 101 and are willing to work over 60 hours per week forever and give up your personal life to begin a management career, this may be the place for you. Income is good enough for a fist time manager, not a seasoned manager. Company will hire basically anyone who submits application. Nice place to begin career as an automotive technition, no experience required.

Cons

The upper management seems to be so wishy washy with changes in policy, as an employee on all store levels, ie. technitions, service managers, store directors, it's very difficult to maintain self confidence. Extremely high turnover rate at all levels, worst I've seen in 20 years of management. Employment ads are misrepresented and emlpoyees wont know until it's too late. Major lack in communication between corporate employees and store level management. The absolute best example of the term micromanagement, I have ever worked under.

Develope a set in stone business plan, treat store level staff with respect, properly train and maintain management personel, reduce work hrs for management staff to allow them time with their family, provide better benefits for store level employees etc. etc.

Brake Check

I worked at Brake Check full-time

Pros

This is a great opportunity for anyone with no experience.

Cons

A lot of hours, work/life balance not that great.

The worst job I've ever had, by far

Former Employee - Brake Technician  in  San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Brake Technician in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Brake Check full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get plenty of hours. Sometimes you get to interact directly with customers. Open 7 days a week, even though almost nobody comes by on Sunday. They are nominally willing to train inexperienced technicians, but in practice I found that this was lacking.

Cons

High pressure to sell unnecessary parts and services. No respect by the management for their technicians. Minimum wage unless you make commissions. It is difficult to make enough sales to have commissions unless you are an experienced tech and business is good. If business is slow, and you get all oil changes and alignments, that's often not possible. Basically, if you have enough work that you'd get paid well, they're going to hire somebody else, so nobody makes more than min. wage. You have to sell a fair amount every single day just to earn as much as you would at McDonald's.

Having no other experience in technician work before, I can't comment on how well-run the company is. Maybe they're all somewhat like this, although I can't fathom that at Jiffy Lube or similar they have targets for sales this high and commission percentages this low.

Worked for Brake Check? Contribute to the Community!