Brand Connections

Sherry Orel

Good Company

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat compensation.
Nice District Managers, who are continuously coaching us on sales skills so we are encouraged and always learning something new.
Receive a very generous amount of gratis!
Attend monthly training sessions with international beauty brands, where you will receive even more gratis.
Receive an iPad mini to use in store, where there is a portal to communicate with other BC's, and to use as a guide to help guests, such as looking up product reviews, or to read beauty blogs, etc.
Get Christmas Day, Thanksgiving and Easter off. Plus, get paid time and a half if you are scheduled to work Christmas Eve and New Years Eve/Day.
Can take a 1 hour lunch break, or it can be split up into two 15 min breaks and a 30 min for lunch.

ConsStanding on feet for long hours.
There is no flexibility in schedule.
Work on weekends.
It can be hard to get a day off.
Sometimes it can be very boring if there are no guests to help.
Since it is retail, you still have to deal with rude guests here and there.
Some guests are oblivious and do not realize right away that I'm a beauty advisor, so I often get asked irrelevant questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI disagree with the new hours (12pm-830pm weekdays) I feel that this change was not the best move, since I was assisting more guests with the old hours I was originally hired with. At this point, after 5pm I can say that both of my stores are not busy at all! In the future, please give us advanced notice (more than one week) if making a big change to schedules, etc.

Excellent, progressive collaborative work environment

Senior Vice President, Sales (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Brand Connections full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent at team building through coaching, mentoring and performance management to achieve optimal sales revenue results for the organization. Specialized in selling integrated solutions including out-of-home, digital, mobile, social media, promotion, experiential just to name a few.

ConsThere are no cons for Brand Connections

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the weekly sales process requirements overshadows the relationship development in the sales process

Amazing job!!!!

North Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Brand Connections part-time for less than a year

ProsThis job is amazing. I love working for this company! I have worked in retail for many years and this is the best. You get a lot of knowledge of beauty products, occasionally some gratis, and the managers have been great.

ConsSometimes it can be boring be alone your whole shift.

Great growing company!

Old Bridge, NJ

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time for less than a year

ProsAs a beauty concierge, I am given the chance to work in the field of my passion! Opportunity is constant, they keep you updated and continuously educated within your position, and feedback is always encouraged. My position is very independent, and for me that is completely refreshing! The best part of my position is helping "guests", and educating them on the new "hot" products (old ones too) how they work and the application method! I am also very satisfied with the pay!

ConsThe hours are definitely difficult, especially if you have children! I get two hours a day with my family, because when I get home from work they are sleeping soundly. If you need a day off whether it be an emergency or not you are required to find and seek your own coverage for work. (I wouldn't call out unless it was an emergency or hazardous road conditions).

Advice to Senior ManagementMost management is fairly new as is the employees, we are all learning day by day! I am so entirely thankful for this opportunity! Very excited to grow with the company!

The day drags on

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time

ProsWork alone. A lot of free product. Free trip for training. Pay is good.

ConsWe don't stock and don't do anything anywhere but in beauty so there's not a lot to do which makes the day slow. We don't apply makeup or have testers, so we're just there to talk and help guests but most aren't interested in help like they are at a department store or Sephora. It's a totally different environment than those stores. I talk to every guest but usually they just want to know where something is, or they dismiss me so the day drags.

Hours are late and hard to get a day off. Work is every weekend so I've had to miss family events and a wedding because I couldn't find coverage. We're even forced to go to work when there's bad snow storms and cars are stalled or spinning out. I'm the only person in the beauty aisle so if I'm not there there's nobody to work.

We have an ipad to communicate but the internet or data plan doesn't work a lot of the time in the store, and the portal we communicate through is messy and easy to miss posts, or it freezes so when I write something it doesn't show up. I miss information my manager posts sometimes.

It's can be boring. Standing all day never able to sit down or lean is hard. Beauty knowledge isn't really needed because most guests don't want information.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the hours to get out earlier, rotate weekends, let us sit down sometimes, fix portal, testers.

Easy going but need to be very flexible with a lot of work changes.

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time

ProsGet to work by yourself, talk to a bunch of people about beauty products, rewarding when guest come back and tell you how much they love a product, meet tons of great companies and the people who work with the brands.

ConsHours have changed a few times with meetings included, hours are late and time can go by very slow on slow days or towards the end of the night when there are no guest.

Not employee focused

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time

ProsMany of the lower level employees have created their own support system among each other and developed friendships.

ConsMy experience with this company is that senior management ignores problems then rushes to fix things when clients call them out and then they react desperately, ending up inconveniencing, displacing, stressing, and angering employees. There is no thought for employee's needs, time, stress, concerns, input, questions, schedules, or ideas. Some VPs and directors are bullies and others are pacifists. There are many promises with no follow through, including money. Often there are outright lies. Little work-life balance. They micromanage but don't share information. Senior management contradicts themselves frequently and confuse the staff then blame the lower level employees for not accomplishing goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that the employees are human beings, not machines. Be honest. Communicate with the truth. Respect your employees.

Great pay, fun at times, interesting.

Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Brand Connections part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat pay, benefits for full time employees, gratis.

ConsPoor communication, horrible District Manager, hard to get a day off, boring/slow at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you hire District Managers with a background in cosmetics and who knows how to be a manager.

New Part-Time Employee as a Beauty Concierge (Advisor) within a mass-market store for 3 months

Middletown, NJ

I have been working at Brand Connections part-time for less than a year

ProsSet hours, no guessing, can plan life around work

Great Pay for the work, working alongside employees doing more and less pleasant work that make less. We are not "store employees" but work within a mass-market store, we dont do "stock" or clean, ALL we do all day is help the customer find the products for their individual needs

PERKS-OMG the perks, you get tons of free products at initial training (including an IPAD mini for all part time and full time employees (but not floaters/fill-in), a holiday "bonus" gift of more products and a giftcard, then monthly vendor trainings where you get MORE product...Last months vendor training handed us over $120 retail worth of products

The products they give you as perks give you more product knowledge through personal experience to make the job of suggesting and advising on products easier

Team/Family feel created at training between employees

Independence, you are the only person from your company at your store, there is noone standing over your shoulder, noone giving you a hard time, no "co-workers" to argue with or cause trouble for you. you are totally responsible on your own.

District Managers are nice, friendly, understanding, and treat you like a human being

You get an HOUR for lunch/dinner and you are allowed to split that into a
15min/30min/15min set of breaks

They PAY you when you're at training, even for a weekly conference call

For Full Time employees there are benefits available and vacation time, I am only Part time so I do not get that

They send you boxes of samples to give out to customers

It needs to be said separately... This company hired me, sent me to Dallas all expenses paid, put us up in a fancy hotel (the lobby restaurant was a $30 a plate restaurant)
we trained during normal work day hours, they fed us breakfast, we took a mid-day break where there was snacks, they fed us lunch, then another break with snacks, then we would stop before dinner, for 3 days then they flew us home and shipped us a BOX full of free products and I will say this again EVERYTHING WAS PAID FOR!

ConsMonthly Vendor Training is at a set location which is over an hour away and sometimes the times they chose to have them interefere with the time I have to get my kids on the schoolbus

You are on your Feet continuously throughout your shift

Breaks are at a set time schedule, so if you need to go to the bathroom or are thirsty you have to wait till your breaktime

Because of the set schedule, if something happens in your life on a day you're scheduled to work, you have to find coverage, if there are no floaters available, you have to check with the other employees to see if they can cover the shift for you. It isnt like there are other employees at the store that can "cover" for you, you are the only person at your store.

When you arent sure about something, there is noone to ask. you are the only person there. You CAN contact your district manager or fellow employees via phone or the ipad but you are not likely to get a response immediately (while you're with a customer)

this is more related to doing the job itself and not the company: Not all customers realize our value, they think we are just another store employee and dont know we actually have product knowledge as well, some customers can even be rude as if asking to help them is annoying them.

Customers sometimes open products and apply them and we arent allowed to say anything other than "Can I help you". It would be nice to be able to at least say "please do not open/apply products, they are not testers"

This isnt exactly a con, but needs to be mentioned
I found the job listing for this job on craigslist and we al know how shady craigslist can be, and the job description seemed too good to be true, my interview was done in a Starbucks by a person who was not dressed in what one would consider business attire, she was in regular casual clothes. Even accepting the job, even getting on the airplane, I wasnt sure if this job was REAL. I hadnt been to an office, I hadnt seen official letterhead, It all felt fishy....but is wasnt.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo begin, Thank You, I am very happy overall so far, and I hope to become fulltime in the future when my schedule is free to do so.

I know that a lot of the other concierges had a problem with the hours shift. I did not have a problem with it, it actually worked out better for me. However I can appreciate that it could have been different, and there was NOT enough notice given for that change for those who did have a problem. Some people are part time and have other jobs, some have children and have to arrange childcare etc...

I think that there should be some sort of incentive for a person to cover a shift for another concierge that needs off. perhaps overtime pay? travel expenses? because someone will have to travel farther to work on a day they normally have off. and because right now if something happens and you need the day off you are at the mercy of if one of the other employees "feels like" taking an extra shift

Different than I thought it would be

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time

ProsPay is good for retail. A lot of free products. Monthly trainings are fun. Schedule doesn't rotate.

ConsEmployees were asked to leave a positive review on this site, but my experience is neutral.

Procedures in beauty change a lot and employees have no notice, hours are long and late (noon-8:30 and both days of the weekend) and changed without notice uprooting a lot of people's lives especially if they have school or kids. I'm called to work on days off. It's hard to have personal activities working here so the job has to be your only priority.

The company automatically forces everyone into the 401k and deducts money from paychecks and trying to stop it isn't easy so it seems like a scam. You can stop it but it's hard.

The web portal we use to communicate with each other crashes a lot and the internet in the store isn't reliable to connect. We're told to use the ipad but store management doesn't like it when I do even though my district manager has explained to him that it's approved. We don't work for the store so it gets confusing who to listen to.

There's only 1 of us in the aisle/store and not always a lot of guests so there's no one to talk to and not a lot to do so the day goes slow. Guests usually aren't interested in help, they just want to know where things are in other departments like I'm a greeter. For training they flew everyone to stay at a hotel for a few days and made it seem like the job would be glamorous and we'd be giving beauty advice, but I walk around trying to help guests who mostly don't want to talk. My manager has been giving me more tips for selling but most still only want to know where stuff is.

Some might say it's an easy job because all we do is walk around trying to help people but few really want help so it makes the day long. I have a beauty background but it's not being used here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake employees into consideration when making changes and give notice, explain why you change things and get our input, let us have water, shorter hours, make stores stop giving a hard time about ipads

Worked for Brand Connections? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brand Connections reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brand Connections CEO Sherry Orel. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Brand Connections employees.