Brand Institute

Updated September 10, 2014
4.5

Brand Institute President and CEO Jim Dettore
Jim Dettore

Pros
  • Not only are you rewarded for your hard work, but you're also recognized for it (in 16 reviews)

• You will become an efficient fast paced worker, ready to take on any assignment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • For some the work/life balance can be hard to achieve (in 5 reviews)

• Fast paced atmosphere can be challenging (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Expect to work hard, but also expect to learn and grow. And hopefully love what you do!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am proud to tell people where I work and what this company has accomplished. I didn't know the first thing about the drug naming and approval process until I started working at BI. I find being part of that process rewarding, and I learn something new every day in the quickly advancing field of pharmaceuticals.
    The benefits are good, including free medical insurance. When sales goals are met we are recognized with pizza & subs, a steak lunch, and occasionally cash bonuses. Based on the size of my department, I appreciate the opportunity to get to know my co-workers better than if I worked for a larger corporation. Once you complete training, you pretty much work on your own without anyone breathing down your neck. Yet there's always someone there to answer your questions and ensure you're doing the job correctly. The key to survival - Get your work done, correctly and on time and you should be fine...

Our CEO and founder Mr. Dettore is personable, upbeat, and an obvious visionary. He seems to have discovered the recipe for a sustainable and invaluable company that is destined for further growth and success.

Cons

The hours are strict, deadlines are constantly changing, and the workload can seem impossible at times, so expect to stay late or come in early to get your projects completed. The work can be monotonous at times, so it definitely takes a motivated individual to succeed. Unfortunately, opportunities for advancement seem to be rare, based on what I've seen/heard, especially within my department. Upon researching the average salary at BI for my position, I feel I am underpaid. Hopefully, with continued hard work, handling heavy workloads, completing projects on time, etc. I can continue to succeed and be adequately compensated based on the efforts I put forth.

I would recommend to management to provide positive feedback when deserved and periodical job performance evaluations. With the demanding work load that every employee has, I can see how that can easily be forgotten, but employees need to feel recognized for their individual hard work and know how they can improve.

Restrictive business travel policy

Current Employee - New Business Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - New Business Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The CEO is old school & of that "Mad Men" era. We all have to wear collared shirts & ties & no off the sholuder tops or open toe shoes for the women, even though I can only remember a client coming to our Miami office once in the last 6 years!
    CEO still enjoys his martini lunches & goes out to get his shoes shined. Actually he and the CFO enjoy their lunchtime drinks a little too much some days as his meetings can get rowdy & its office smells of booze. Just something to be aware of if your not used to working in such an environment as it can be a little off putting & threatening sometimes, especially if you're female

Cons

All airfares & hotel stays have by protocol to be booked upon the CFO's credit card. All loyality travel awards for business trips are company property & used by the CFO. Directors in breach of this rule have been fired! Crazy to let good people go but it has happened & sometimes just because they were unaware of this restrictive travel practice.

I think you should lead by example, I know it's your company but in this day & age lunch-time drinking binges aren't politically correct & I think undermine the employees respect for the CEO & his senior leadership. Please pay a higher rate on the 401K plan, 0.5% match is not competitive.

My First Job

Current Employee - Anon  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anon in Miami, FL

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great co-workers and I have learned a lot. This is my first job out of school and I am glad to see that so many people here in Miami have been with company a long time. My friends have jobs with a lot of drama but we are left to do our work. Free meals are great. Company appears stable and should be around a long time.

Cons

My commute in the morning can be frustrating. I might move closer to downtown.

Keep doing what you are doing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive reviews are lies

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Brand Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent health insurance. Ability to work with big Pharma marketing/product teams, exposure to past FDA/WHO major officials. Experienced/old boys club/ excellent sellers have potential to move up, but after at least 5 years. This is not merit based work, no merit based incentives. Judgement, favoritism, sexism abound. No maternity leave. Must be there for strict hours. No compromises.

Cons

Low balled salaries, poor to nonexistent training. Contract says u may be fired any day without notice. CEO very impulsive, so stressful environment. Operations in Miami is same work every day. You will get bored. No overtime payment (often required too stay later)

Sell the company to a another company with better employee standards. Or get a human resources department!!!

Great company with many opportunities!

Former Employee - New Business Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - New Business Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Brand Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a former employee of Brand Institute, I can honestly say this company has a very bright future ahead. The benefits are excellent, middle management is great and helps with workload, great environment to work in.

Cons

Sometimes it could be stressfull

Keep up the good work!

Perform and you have a job for life

Current Employee - New Business Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - New Business Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you produce you will always have a job. Generous holiday gifts and meals/perks. And not sure what another supposedly 8 year employee is talking about bonuses, but they are paid on February 15th. I received one most every year at BI in mid February.

Cons

Every month and every year you have to improve. You are expected to do better than the year before

Continue to grow and support the employees

Miami location is great for just out of college, but forget it if you have real job experience!

Former Employee - New Business Association (Cold Calling - Not Even Sales)  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - New Business Association (Cold Calling - Not Even Sales) in Miami, FL

I worked at Brand Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy to get hired, brainless work, no management responsibilities

Cons

(see pros, depending on the kind of person/worker you are)

Don't hire people under the guise that Brand Institute can offer "growth". There seems to be only a couple levels of management and people in management positions for that matter and even the people one step up have been there 10 years! There is no promotion potential in this type of structure.

Turnover is pretty bad for some of the spots and I would say it's because of their mistake of hiring people who have viable work experience to do this job. This job is best suited for someone who is looking for an easy ride and has nothing to compare the job to.

After my first day I knew it was NOT going to work. They are not looking to make business improvements, the people in a position to make changes have been in those positions for a decade PLUS so the business policies and practices are stuck in 2000 for that reason.

The inexperience among the sales employees is a bit concerning. They are proud to have what some refer to as a "suit and tie" job, but in reality they are sitting in a suit and tie only to appeal to their own egos. They are making sales calls and never meet any clients; they could be wearing jeans. They don't know anything about office politics and even say things about one another unintentionally to upper management that in a real place where the CEO is respected SHOULD cause an issue.

It's not an environment for someone who wants to make something of themselves. Even the "sales" aren't real sales which is good for some, it's even what attracted me because I didn't want to do traditional sales, but as it turns out the sales dept. isn't actually selling anything you are just making cold calls trying to set up a meeting for the people who will actually sell. This means that at the end of the day you have NOTHING to hang your hat on. There is no room for this position to accomplish anything unless you count making phone calls as an accomplishment.

Quitting this position was liberating. I wished I could bring people with me and introduce them to a real business environment. A place where you can actually influence business, create processes, or any other actionable bullet for a resume.

"Great Organization, Great Culture, Great Environment!”

Current Employee - Market Research Analyst  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Miami, FL

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brand Institute gives you the opportunity to learn about branding from the inside out, while working with industry leaders. And while the work can be tough the management team is great and they certainly understand and make sure you find time for your family.

Cons

The projects can be demanding and the clients challenging. But all-in-all you have a solid infrastructure which makes it all possible.

Smart people, amazing environment, and the opportunity to expand and grow, sounds like a winning formula keep up the good work don’t change a thing!!

Brand Institute is a company that believes you succeed as a team!

Current Employee - Creative Director  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As the current and only Creative Director for the last 10 years, I can sincerely say that Brand Institute is a great place to work and build a career. The Creative Team and all of operations typically work normal business hours. If we do work overtime, we are compensated. Brand Institute provides its employees with an excellent work-life balance and all of the time one would need to spend with/raise a family. Personally, I strive to treat each creative team member with respect, provide constructive encouragement, be understanding and compassionate of each individuals’ non-work responsibilities, and nurture a positive and supportive environment, as I believe those are the keys to bringing out people’s best work.

Cons

We are a growing, service-based agency, so on occasion deadlines are tight and the volume of work is high.

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Creative Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Creative Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am the current and only Creative Manager at Brand Institute. Here’s been my experience.

There hasn’t been a single day where I haven’t been treated with the utmost respect by my fellow colleagues, by the CEO and by upper management. A job well done is rewarded through a competitive salary, and that’s all anybody should expect, except at BI, a job well done, whether little or big, is also cheered and recognized and put up on a pedestal. It’s a high five for a colleague, it’s a roaring congratulatory email from the CEO sent company-wide, it’s the thanks from a team member.

Cons

The day-to-day work at Brand Institute is challenging and the environment in which we do the work is motivating and fast-paced. Just the other day, a colleague of mine had an idea on how to improve a process of ours; he took that idea to upper management, whose doors are always open (literally, their doors are open, if you have an idea, go in and pitch your idea); within hours a team of key people were gathered and the idea was discussed, debated, tweaked, improved and implemented. The same day. Brand Institute empowers its people.

I love what I do. I’ve been given all the tools I need to succeed at my job. I work with people who are experts at what they do and who love their job as well. That’s been my experience. Just keep it going!

Worked for Brand Institute? Contribute to the Community!