Brand Institute

Updated August 15, 2014

4.5

Brand Institute President and CEO Jim Dettore
Jim Dettore

Pros
  • Not only are you rewarded for your hard work, but you're also recognized for it (in 16 reviews)

• You will become an efficient fast paced worker, ready to take on any assignment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • For some the work/life balance can be hard to achieve (in 5 reviews)

• Fast paced atmosphere can be challenging (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to learn and grow with

Pros

CEO, Mr. Dettore, is a supportive and motivating leader who encourages his employees to accomplish challenges with a positive and confident attitude to produce outstanding results. Teamwork and individual efforts unite to form a strong commitment to achieve customer satisfaction and it is a very rewarding experience. Outstanding free medical coverage, as well as fee lunches and/or bonuses, when goals are attained. It was a pleasure to be a part of such a great organization.

Cons

Not for the faint of heart.

It would be nice for managers to give individual, unsolicited, positive feedback and personal encouragement.

POOR Investment in Employee Training & Development

Current Employee - New Business Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - New Business Associate in Miami, FL

Pros

Free parking downtown saves me money & I use it at the weekends when we go shopping. It's a much happier place here when the CEO is in the NYC office.

Cons

Where do I start! Well I think one of the biggest issues here is the quality of the products & services we deliver. It's hard to blame the new hires though as senior leadership invests little to nothing in their professional development. Staff turnover is high so information is lost & goes out the door when people leave or are fired.
    The CEO needs to realize that yelling & cursing New Business Associates is no substitute for training them properly.

Invest in an HR & Training Department & this would be a far better company for all concerned. It's not rocket science but has escaped the CEO at this point, he's not a big picture person.

Expect to work hard, but also expect to learn and grow. And hopefully love what you do!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

I am proud to tell people where I work and what this company has accomplished. I didn't know the first thing about the drug naming and approval process until I started working at BI. I find being part of that process rewarding, and I learn something new every day in the quickly advancing field of pharmaceuticals.
    The benefits are good, including free medical insurance. When sales goals are met we are recognized with pizza & subs, a steak lunch, and occasionally cash bonuses. Based on the size of my department, I appreciate the opportunity to get to know my co-workers better than if I worked for a larger corporation. Once you complete training, you pretty much work on your own without anyone breathing down your neck. Yet there's always someone there to answer your questions and ensure you're doing the job correctly. The key to survival - Get your work done, correctly and on time and you should be fine...

Our CEO and founder Mr. Dettore is personable, upbeat, and an obvious visionary. He seems to have discovered the recipe for a sustainable and invaluable company that is destined for further growth and success.

Cons

The hours are strict, deadlines are constantly changing, and the workload can seem impossible at times, so expect to stay late or come in early to get your projects completed. The work can be monotonous at times, so it definitely takes a motivated individual to succeed. Unfortunately, opportunities for advancement seem to be rare, based on what I've seen/heard, especially within my department. Upon researching the average salary at BI for my position, I feel I am underpaid. Hopefully, with continued hard work, handling heavy workloads, completing projects on time, etc. I can continue to succeed and be adequately compensated based on the efforts I put forth.

I would recommend to management to provide positive feedback when deserved and periodical job performance evaluations. With the demanding work load that every employee has, I can see how that can easily be forgotten, but employees need to feel recognized for their individual hard work and know how they can improve.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience before moving out on my own

Former Employee - Director, Brand Development  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director, Brand Development in Chicago, IL

Pros

Pros – I worked for BI for several years in a few different locations. I left to start my own brand strategy consulting business.
    What I miss most about BI:
    - the exciting pace of work
    - challenging assisgnments from diverse clients every day
    - my terrific colleagues - especially the Brand Strategy, Design and Drug Safety Institute (DSI) teams
    - our CEO's down to earth and immensely practical business advice (I can't tell you how much this helped me when striking out on my own!)
    - the resources that I took for granted at the time

Cons

Cons – The travel schedule was one of the reasons I ended up leaving. Little did I know how good it was after I left. Now I have to travel nation-wide to work on projects and meet prospective clients.

Not much. In fact, I really must say that my experience at BI helped me immensely when striking out on my own. If it does not work out with what I am doing now, I can only hope that BI would allow me to come back! I do miss my time at BI very much.

My First Job

Current Employee - Anon  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anon in Miami, FL

Pros

Great benefits, great co-workers and I have learned a lot. This is my first job out of school and I am glad to see that so many people here in Miami have been with company a long time. My friends have jobs with a lot of drama but we are left to do our work. Free meals are great. Company appears stable and should be around a long time.

Cons

My commute in the morning can be frustrating. I might move closer to downtown.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Positive reviews are lies

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Miami, FL

Pros

Excellent health insurance. Ability to work with big Pharma marketing/product teams, exposure to past FDA/WHO major officials. Experienced/old boys club/ excellent sellers have potential to move up, but after at least 5 years. This is not merit based work, no merit based incentives. Judgement, favoritism, sexism abound. No maternity leave. Must be there for strict hours. No compromises.

Cons

Low balled salaries, poor to nonexistent training. Contract says u may be fired any day without notice. CEO very impulsive, so stressful environment. Operations in Miami is same work every day. You will get bored. No overtime payment (often required too stay later)

Sell the company to a another company with better employee standards. Or get a human resources department!!!

BI Helped Me Grow Personally and Professionally

Current Employee - Director, Brand Development  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director, Brand Development in New York, NY

Pros

I’ve worked for Brand Institute for two years and am learning something new every day! The company works in a fascinating field and provides every team with the opportunity to achieve great financial rewards through hard work and a commitment to client service. We have outstanding support from a core team at the corporate office in Miami and are armed with everything we need to get out on the road and help our clients succeed. I love coming to work every morning thanks to the fantastic colleagues I have at Brand Institute!

Cons

Everyone at BI works very hard. If you’re willing to put in the time to keep up with your colleagues, you’ll be rewarded generously.

Thanks for making BI a great place to work!

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time for six years just had my anniversary. Awesome!

Pros

BI is a great employer—The over all company has a very fun yet hard working atmosphere. You never get bored. Always have large pharmaceutical projects to work on. In fact, it can be very impressive to see your products on TV. Oh and lets not forget about the food goals!

Cons

Their headquarters are in Miami, so depending on where you live in South Florida, you will spend a lot of time in traffic.

You have a lot of good hardworking talent don't lose site of them

Great place to work for

Pros

Fast pace and you have the chance to work with Fortune 500 companies. Very friendly colleagues and everyone supports each other.

Cons

Sometimes stressful due to last minute regulatory deadlines but we do everything possible to support our clients.

Keep up the great job and support your employees.

I look forward to work!

Current Employee - Associate Director Brand Development
    Current Employee - Associate Director Brand Development

Pros

I love the people I work with. Everyone is a fantastic mentor, and always there to answer questions. There are SO many people who are very smart and knowledgeable, and always have the time to talk you through a new issue. I can pick the brain of a former director of USAN and INN anytime that I need to. It is just fantastic the wealth of information you can absorb here if you take advantage of it.

The President, Jim, is a wonderful leader. He balances his authority with incentives quite well. A former employer I had, never understood the benefits of the carrot and not just the stick. We have wonderful "lunch goals" to try and achieve every month, a generous Christmas gift and bonus, and a % of your sales on top of the competitive salary. You just want to go out and sell and do a great job. Plus, it feels really good to tell him you won a job. The system makes you want to WANT to do more than the bare minimum, and not mind staying late or coming in early.

The travel is also great. I, personally, get to travel many states in our territory and meet new people and companies as much as we can make the appointments.

Our brochure is absolutely astonishing, and I feel proud to show it to prospective clients, friends and my family. Jim built a fantastic company from the ground up, and it is the best job I have ever had. I love coming to work, and I love speaking with everyone in the company.

Cons

Some people do not take advantage of the opportunity that is presented in this company. If you really try and learn and grow, you can go far in both responsibility and finances. The sky is truly the limit if you put the work in.

Worked for Brand Institute? Contribute to the Community!