Brand Institute

Brand Institute Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Brand Institute President and CEO Jim Dettore

Jim Dettore

Pros
  • Not only are you rewarded for your hard work, but you're also recognized for it(in 16 reviews)

• You will become an efficient fast paced worker, ready to take on any assignment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • For some the work/life balance can be hard to achieve(in 5 reviews)

• Fast paced atmosphere can be challenging(in 6 reviews)

Expect to work hard, but also expect to learn and grow. And hopefully love what you do!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsI am proud to tell people where I work and what this company has accomplished. I didn't know the first thing about the drug naming and approval process until I started working at BI. I find being part of that process rewarding, and I learn something new every day in the quickly advancing field of pharmaceuticals.
    The benefits are good, including free medical insurance. When sales goals are met we are recognized with pizza & subs, a steak lunch, and occasionally cash bonuses. Based on the size of my department, I appreciate the opportunity to get to know my co-workers better than if I worked for a larger corporation. Once you complete training, you pretty much work on your own without anyone breathing down your neck. Yet there's always someone there to answer your questions and ensure you're doing the job correctly. The key to survival - Get your work done, correctly and on time and you should be fine...

Our CEO and founder Mr. Dettore is personable, upbeat, and an obvious visionary. He seems to have discovered the recipe for a sustainable and invaluable company that is destined for further growth and success.

ConsThe hours are strict, deadlines are constantly changing, and the workload can seem impossible at times, so expect to stay late or come in early to get your projects completed. The work can be monotonous at times, so it definitely takes a motivated individual to succeed. Unfortunately, opportunities for advancement seem to be rare, based on what I've seen/heard, especially within my department. Upon researching the average salary at BI for my position, I feel I am underpaid. Hopefully, with continued hard work, handling heavy workloads, completing projects on time, etc. I can continue to succeed and be adequately compensated based on the efforts I put forth.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend to management to provide positive feedback when deserved and periodical job performance evaluations. With the demanding work load that every employee has, I can see how that can easily be forgotten, but employees need to feel recognized for their individual hard work and know how they can improve.

Brutal Corporate Culture, Feels More Like BootCamp Than Employment

New Business Associate (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsFood goals help morale as employees hate the regular verbal abuse they receive from the CEO at our daily 11:00am calls. You get to meet with lots of clients so network oppotunities for future employment

ConsI really can't relate to the positive reviews as that's not been my experience working at BI. The C-suite management are very stayed in their ways & unwilling to embrace new ideas. It's a corporate culture of back stabbing and throwing people under the bus to get a head.
    While I think competition is good the CEO encourages people to do whatever it takes to get to the top. People therefore, lie, cheat & sleep their way into the senior positions.
    Little to no training given. The staff turnover is so high at BI that leadership decided it wasn't work the investment training employees when they walk out the door a few months later.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake away the cameras & BrandEye check in process, trust us to do the job without looking over our sholuder every 5 minutes

Great experience before moving out on my own

Director, Brand Development (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPros – I worked for BI for several years in a few different locations. I left to start my own brand strategy consulting business.
    What I miss most about BI:
    - the exciting pace of work
    - challenging assisgnments from diverse clients every day
    - my terrific colleagues - especially the Brand Strategy, Design and Drug Safety Institute (DSI) teams
    - our CEO's down to earth and immensely practical business advice (I can't tell you how much this helped me when striking out on my own!)
    - the resources that I took for granted at the time

ConsCons – The travel schedule was one of the reasons I ended up leaving. Little did I know how good it was after I left. Now I have to travel nation-wide to work on projects and meet prospective clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much. In fact, I really must say that my experience at BI helped me immensely when striking out on my own. If it does not work out with what I am doing now, I can only hope that BI would allow me to come back! I do miss my time at BI very much.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My First Job

Anon (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat benefits, great co-workers and I have learned a lot. This is my first job out of school and I am glad to see that so many people here in Miami have been with company a long time. My friends have jobs with a lot of drama but we are left to do our work. Free meals are great. Company appears stable and should be around a long time.

ConsMy commute in the morning can be frustrating. I might move closer to downtown.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Positive reviews are lies

Project Manager (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsExcellent health insurance. Ability to work with big Pharma marketing/product teams, exposure to past FDA/WHO major officials. Experienced/old boys club/ excellent sellers have potential to move up, but after at least 5 years. This is not merit based work, no merit based incentives. Judgement, favoritism, sexism abound. No maternity leave. Must be there for strict hours. No compromises.

ConsLow balled salaries, poor to nonexistent training. Contract says u may be fired any day without notice. CEO very impulsive, so stressful environment. Operations in Miami is same work every day. You will get bored. No overtime payment (often required too stay later)

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to a another company with better employee standards. Or get a human resources department!!!

BI Helped Me Grow Personally and Professionally

Director, Brand Development (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI’ve worked for Brand Institute for two years and am learning something new every day! The company works in a fascinating field and provides every team with the opportunity to achieve great financial rewards through hard work and a commitment to client service. We have outstanding support from a core team at the corporate office in Miami and are armed with everything we need to get out on the road and help our clients succeed. I love coming to work every morning thanks to the fantastic colleagues I have at Brand Institute!

ConsEveryone at BI works very hard. If you’re willing to put in the time to keep up with your colleagues, you’ll be rewarded generously.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for making BI a great place to work!

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time for six years just had my anniversary. Awesome!

ProsBI is a great employer—The over all company has a very fun yet hard working atmosphere. You never get bored. Always have large pharmaceutical projects to work on. In fact, it can be very impressive to see your products on TV. Oh and lets not forget about the food goals!

ConsTheir headquarters are in Miami, so depending on where you live in South Florida, you will spend a lot of time in traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lot of good hardworking talent don't lose site of them

Great company with many opportunities!

New Business Associate (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsAs a former employee of Brand Institute, I can honestly say this company has a very bright future ahead. The benefits are excellent, middle management is great and helps with workload, great environment to work in.

ConsSometimes it could be stressfull

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Never been treated better!

ProsIt's an amazing place to work. Not only are you rewarded for your hard work, but you're also recognized for it. I find this place to be more family oriented than your regular strict corporate world. I've never worked at a company where they have treated their employees so well.

ConsCould be stressful at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Excellent company to learn & grow--amazingly dedicated individuals

Director, Brand Development (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a hard but rewarding job. You will only get out of it what you put into it and egos should be left at the door. The CEO is motivating and extremely generous. We have monthly and yearly bonuses and incentives. He also takes a personal interest in his employees. Almost all of senior management started at the bottom and worked and earned their way up. And yet as the company grows, there has always been room for promotion. You will not be coddled here but you will be encouraged and supported. That said, you must prove yourself; be a self starter, come in a little early, dress the part, make those connections with colleagues and clients. Trust and hard work will be acknowledged.
    The people who show up for work here every day enjoy it and are proud of it, but they also continually earn it.

ConsThis is a sales driven job, and you are a resource to your clients/relationships. You will have to make a few sacrifices (emailing at night or weekends) if a client needs you. For some the work/life balance can be hard to achieve.

Worked for Brand Institute? Contribute to the Community!