Brand New School

Updated April 28, 2014
Updated April 28, 2014
2.6

Danny Rosenbloom

It was the usual Contract Animation Job.

Former Employee - 3D Animator  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - 3D Animator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Brand New School as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The pay was decent. The other freelancers they hired were competent talented and a pleasure to work with. The vibe in the studio is very relaxed. The facility is pleasant and the tools we were given were decent to get the job done.

Cons

Working more than ten hours a day at a day rate. Sometimes we had to work weekends. The scheduling can be very unpredictable and very annoying. Parking can be quite difficult in the mornings.

Terrible experience with well known creative studio

Former Employee - Contract Creative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Contract Creative in New York, NY

I worked at Brand New School as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Brand New School is a creative studio known for delivering high-end motion design and animation for various global clients. In it's hay day it was one of the premier studios with the likes of Stardust, Digital Kitchen, and Superfad.

Cons

It might be the changing times but BNS has developed a reputation for not paying creatives (including staffers) on time. Creative management is somewhat lacking in solid direction and the freelance system they have is terrible. I came in on a few projects and was treated like a creative construction worker or even a ghost. Highly disappointed.

I would tell management to really examine their business model, ie figure out what you specialize in. Nowadays most of these creative shops either evolved to do 360 degree creative or shut down completely. There also needs to be less of a creative sweat shop mentality if you want to retain creatives (esp freelancers).

Great environment, complicated management

Current Employee - Art Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Brand New School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well-known and well established company, so relatively good on the resume. Lots of perks around the office. Good work/life balance and easy going atmosphere.

Cons

Senior management lacks managing skills, so disorganized at times. Although being an animation studio, it neglects it sometimes. Does not do a good job taking care of employees and their career and a very flawed review system.

If they truly care about talent retention, they shouldn't neglect them once they've been hired. It is not about getting the best people, is about keeping the best people. Be honest about promotions, it is not just about the "rad dudes".

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of good work, tons of hours. Bubble mentality

I have been working at Brand New School full-time

Pros

Good clients, fun environment. Great employees

Cons

Management is flawed. Decisions seem not related to business.

There are nice and fun people to work with

I worked at Brand New School

Pros

They respect employee's times unlike some other similar studios. They also have many great artists and freelancers.

Cons

If you're not a smoker, it might bother you a bit. They sometimes leave the door open that'll spread the smell all over the studio.

Worked for Brand New School? Contribute to the Community!