Brandeis University

Updated October 9, 2014
4.3

Brandeis University President Frederick M Lawrence
Frederick M Lawrence

Pros
  • Nice campus, nice people, good cafes to work at (in 7 reviews)

• Best people, nice work environment, learn a lot (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • My manager was not supportive a great deal of the time (in 2 reviews)

• Some faculty members are really mean to international students (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Graduate Student

I have been working at Brandeis University

Pros

Good professors, entrepreneurial and friendly environment

Cons

too many international students, average career services

Awesome environment to live with as a grad student

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brandeis University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- People at Brandeis, from students to faculties and stuff are very friendly, welcoming and willing to help when needed. I joined Brandeis in 2011, and it was my first time in the USA. I really enjoyed how everybody was willing to help in various fields, from housing to course work.
    - At Brandeis, there is strong inter-departmental collaboration. You will find that most of research projects are joint-projects either Physics-Chemistry, Computer-Physics, Biology-Physics, Computer-Neuroscience, ....
    - Awesome facilities to carry on experiments

Cons

- Few places to find diversified food
    - Old buildings. So, my suggestion is to find an off campus housing

Excellent People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brandeis University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I received a great deal of training while in my role at Brandeis and in addition to that as a full-time exempt staffer you can take one class a semester for free if the class is related to your work which is an incredible perk.

The work day schedule is pretty flexible and the people you work with are first rate for the most part.

The campus is very scenic and it's great to walk around.

There's an annual raise typically between 1-3% of your salary.

Cons

Promotions and raises are hard to come across without a masters or doctorate degree.

Departments are sometimes unwilling to collaborate with each other, also for research staff departments are resistant to enabling researchers to teach in the department of their field regardless of them already working in research at the university.

There are not annual reviews of every staff member, staff would benefit greatly from receiving clear constructive feedback from their supervisors and those they supervise.

There seems to be constant changes and new positions within the university's leadership, yet there have been several public scandals about the university that have received national attention within the past couple years. The former president of the university is drawing a huge salary still from the university for undetermined work, for two years the university has changed the commencement speaker for political reasons without acknowledging that the changes were due to politics, sexual misconduct within the student body and its handling or mishandling depending on your read of that situation, and a listserve within the community that clearly showed some of the underbelly of the university's faculty some of whom are tenure and will receive no repercussions from the inflammatory statements.

The management at the university needs to be accountable, transparent, and productive. There is a lot of bureaucracy at the university and it would greatly benefit from treating each member of the community as accountable for their actions and inaction. Additionally the leadership should focus on trying to maintain and improve the university as an institution of higher learning and not a place that appeals to donor preferences before the benefit of Brandeis as a SCHOOL. Teaching and research need to be the highest priorities and making the university efficient needs to be a greater priority of leadership.

Beautiful campus. Nice people. Low pay, but solid benefits.

Former Employee - Communications Coordinator in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Communications Coordinator in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brandeis University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus with lots of great people to work with. Gorgeous art work everywhere you look. I learned a lot while at my job.

Cons

Limited personal growth. Things happen at a very slow pace. My manager was not supportive a great deal of the time. A couple of examples: When I told my manager that I was giving my notice, (I gave the standard 2 weeks) she actually asked me if I had lied to get my new position.
    She also told me during an employee review that she wanted to rate me as superior, but that she did not because she believed that no one in her opinion was deserving of a superior review. As a result, I did not get much of a raise that year.

Allow for more opportunities for advancement within departments.

Valued as an Employee

I worked at Brandeis University part-time

Pros

- Thoughtful compensation and benefits
    - Often thanked and affirmed for the work that I was doing
    - Considerate student body
    - Upon parting, good relationships with former supervisors

Cons

- University bureaucracy, which is common in educational institutions
    - Often had to wait for approval or completion of one variable from another department in order to move forward with our agenda; again, this is common in a university setting

I'm doing part time student worker job at Admission Office

I have been working at Brandeis University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Everyone is nice to work with

Cons

not found yet, enjoy it

pretty good

I have been working at Brandeis University

Pros

great study condition and nice professor

Cons

none of not good things.

Comfortable work environment with cheerful supervisor, low-stress responsibilities

Former Employee - Secretary in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Secretary in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brandeis University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The position I held was a work-study job as a secretary. The head administrative personal were understanding when scheduling hours and worked around classes. The professors and students I interacting with were, by and large, respectful and not overly demanding. Perhaps the best part of the work environment was being able to study or read in the office, as there were few times where the office was incredibly busy.

Cons

As I was an undergrad in a work study job, pay was understandably low. There were rumors in upper management about layoffs, but students obviously did not expect to stay more than a few semesters in their positions.

Great computer science faculty

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brandeis University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The faculty is great: very sociable and willing to mentor. The pay is pretty good as far as teaching assistant salaries go.

Cons

The department is pretty small, which can be a con when it comes to the number and variety of classes offered. There doesn't seem to be much actual student-faculty research going on. Faculty are good mentors but should push internships / personal projects more.

It was interesting but short.

Former Employee - Library After Hours Monitor in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Library After Hours Monitor in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brandeis University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can work at night and have your day to yourself.

Cons

You have to keep awake and alert

Please make the Library After Hours position more than 10 Days.

Brandeis University Photos