Brandman University

CEO

Adjunct Instructor Review of Brandman University

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Brandman University as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the top adult learning brands in Higher Education.

Cons

Need more involvement of adjunct faculty in development of courses.

Adjunct Instructor

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Central Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Central Valley, CA

I have been working at Brandman University as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compared to what I hear about other universities, Brandman treats its adjunct faculty relatively well. They keep me busy and have never totally cancelled a class on me at the last minute. Although they do decrease your pay for small classes (which are almost the same amount of work), which has happened to me a few times.

Brandman offers a work and educational environment that works well for people who need a high degree of flexibility. You can both teach and learn totally online. That said, if you can sit in person in a classroom and talk face to face, you will get a better education in my opinion (this is universal and not specific to Brandman).

I teach online, so I can and have taught from practically anywhere with a good internet connection. This to me is the single best thing about teaching online. I love to be able to travel, and I can while still "working".

Cons

In general terms, adjuncting sucks. Nearly everyone doing it is SUPER-busy because they are probably working full-time somewhere else.

Brandman is nearly totally reliant on adjuncts to teach courses. This to me is a mistake. Courses are mostly designed/developed by full-time faculty and adjuncts implement them. I suppose this system works ok, but it could be better and it is NOTHING close to the ideal. As an undergrad I was taught by full-time faculty, got to know them on a first-name basis and knew where to go for help. An adjunct faculty can never work that way.

There are essentially NO benefits other than salary. There is a possibility of taking two free courses per year but that is about it for benefits. I am too busy to actually take these courses though working full-time + half-time as an adjunct!

Salary is better than many junior colleges, but it is not possible to make a living unless you have another job. I hit the top of the pay scale some time ago and have not had a raise in 4 years.

There is no clear path from adjuncting to any full-time work at Brandman. (Something that I would actually like to do.)

Brandman is supposedly a "non-profit" institution. Based on the huge focus on increasing the number and salaries of administrators, it seems to me that they are stretching the definition of non-profit.
    -Hire more full-time faculty.
    -Increase the pay-scale for adjunct faculty. My salary is paid for after 2.5 students register for my class. But I have up to 25 students in a class. You are paying out less than 10-20% of the course fees to your faculty. This is near criminal.
    -There is clearly too much focus on filling seats at Brandman, MANY students are ill-prepared for college work (and I teach mostly GRADUATE classes). The University needs to increase its selectivity and not take all comers. From my perspective Brandman appears to be an "open-enrollment" school, they seem to take anyone. You could either call that admirable or greedy depending on how you look at it.
    -Give your adjuncts real opportunities for Professional Development (maybe even totally free advanced degrees).
    -Provide opportunities for the people who do the work (the adjunct faculty) to advance and build a career with you, not somewhere else.
    -Offer options for your part-time faculty to buy into your health care pool, let them contribute to a retirement plan and match some of the contribution.
    -Give your adjunct faculty enough work and assurances of consistent work to let them make a full-time job WITH YOU. They will be better teachers and you will have more successful students.
    -The University should offer the Ed.D program to the faculty that have been with them for years for little to no cost. (The program costs about $60,000, the discount offered to faculty was less than 10%.) No teacher in a doctoral program should be an adjunct, most of the doctoral professors are adjuncts.

Benefits are Great

I have been working at Brandman University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great. I really enjoy and look forward to having a paid week in half at the end of the year to spend with my kids in addition to my vacation days and sick days. Can't beat that.

Cons

It's a very high political environment. The pay scale is not so balance between all areas and they do play favorites.

Top heavy, with incompetence running rampant.

Former Employee - Administrator in East Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Administrator in East Irvine, CA

I worked at Brandman University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free tuition for a bachelor's, Masters, etc. Also, if you suffer long enough, you can receive free tuition for your children. The week between Christmas and New Year's is paid time off, and the benefits are decent.

Cons

Dog-eat-dog environment, poorly-trained managers, excessive pressure put on just for the benefit of the bottom line (so upper-management can stuff their pockets). Lots of favoritism and nepotism. Managers/Directors/ Deans hire their friends who last about as long as their lack of experience will take them. Chancellor drives a brand spankin' new Jag.

Start using your underutilized employees to avoid stale, demotivated environments.

Bad Expereince

Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Brandman University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office culture was poor, company values, none and poor benefits

Cons

Top heavy on administration. Too many inexperienced assistant, associates and vice chancellors. A lot of back stabbing. Limited advancement. A lot of incorrect information passed on for personal advancement.

Hire competent staff at all levels. Stop putting people inexperienced people in high level and director positions where they do not have strong understanding of their role to the students and school. Concentrate on advancing the school and its educational capabilities a little slower. Leaders need leadership training.

adjunct professsor

I have been working at Brandman University

Pros

Experience teaching students who are motivated

Cons

Students rate adjuncts without regard to their own faults

Eliminate self selected surveys and interview random students

Awful experience

I worked at Brandman University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get free courses, but it is a Brandman degree what you can get, so it is nothing to be proud of.

Cons

Low pay. Not challenging. Lazy people without much to do most of the time. Very poor quality in everything including work tasks, classes. You find many Directors everywhere you go, but they are very far from qualified to be directors or manage anything. It is a nest of unqualified people helping each other to have a job.

Reduce the number of directors and senior staff, hire qualified individuals instead of family and friends.

Treated Fairly

I have been working at Brandman University

Pros

- Positive atmosphere
    - Challenging in a good way
    - Personable Leadership

Cons

- It can be too numbers driven

Continue to give employees flexibility in their positions. Make sure they are completing what is being asked of them, but allow them to do so in a flexible way.

High-Integrity Student Advisement & Class Assignments!

Current Employee - Psychology Professor in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Psychology Professor in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Brandman University as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unlike other Adult Model Colleges, Brandman only assigns classes to students whose majors need or require the classes. Students at Brandman University experience degree-focused classes only, so they get their requirements done more quickly, and learn more in their field of endeavour.

Cons

I'd say the only "downside" is I really like the Brandman students, and become close to some of them only to say goodbye at the end of a class.

Build Client (Student) Service teams like we do in mental health. Have Deans, Recruiters and engaged Instructors work together per field (like Psychology) to strategically engage the region's relevant employers in the program, and in encouraging their employees to get their next degree @ Brandman University!

My 3 years here have been wonderfully challenging and rewarding.

Current Employee - Administration in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Brandman University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, innovation is rewarded, systematic changes are not mired in red tape. This is helpful when working to create new and interesting ways to promote life long learning across all employees and students.

Cons

I don't think the salary is on par with similar jobs. I find this particularly true of the staff that supports the faculty and students. I think this is moving in a more positive direction and the value of these positions is more in demand.

Reward innovation and excellence more uniformly across the staff, faculty and students to foster a more forward thinking community.