Brandmuscle Reviews

Philip Alexander

1. Research current salary of title & location before accepting job

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brandmuscle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k matching, life insurance policy, flexibility in hours, current technology and software updates. Working at a main office, can climb corporate ladder quickly.

Cons

Only cost of living yearly raises, review process dragged on until April, salary no longer prorated for the year. Only see career advancement if you work at main headquarters. On sites get short end of the stick.

Advice to Management

I think they do a great job.

2. Great place to start, I should have left years ago

I have been working at Brandmuscle

Pros

Flexible mornings, free food, casual dress, a good amount of paid time off especially for entry level employees' first job. There's minimal micromanaging.

Cons

No initial training Do everything right many years, but do 1 thing wrong and it steals the focus and discredits all your hard work done well. Negative atmosphere

Advice to Management

Learn how to be professional. It's so bad that it's a reason to consider leaving.

3. Success depends on department

I have been working at Brandmuscle

Pros

CEO is incredible, young relaxed culture

Cons

Poor management, high turn over due to NO training

Same old, same old... Still a 'shark tank'

Former Employee - Account Management in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Account Management in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Brandmuscle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress code. Work/life balance is OK. Hours are (or at least when I was there were) somewhat flexible. There was breakfast on Mondays... High turnover.

Cons

First of all, whoever wrote that review in March and made all the positive comments is clearly on the exec team and trying to save face on this website. I'll admit experiences can vary depending on department and manager, but overall, i don't know anyone who still works there that isn't trying to get out. I've been gone almost 4 years: highly toxic environment, unclear and unrealistic expectations, people are thrown under the bus multiple times a day. One person described it as 'a shark tank'. My advice is to stay far, far away. This was my first full-time job out of college and the for the first year it was great. Then I was moved to another manager who, as a person was fine, but as a manager was just awful. Expectations were unrealistic, I would be reprimanded for doing the same things my manager did. I was constantly told that feedback during reviews should not come as a shock, but boy was I shocked when I got a below average review - mostly because I was told my body language was not 'welcoming' and that I had poor facial expressions. What?!?! I'd worked at the company for over 3 years when this feedback was given and had NEVER heard anything like that before. Maybe my demeanor changed because I was working long hours and doing a good job, but getting no recognition for it. And when I'd bend over backward to do something, it was implied it still wasn't good enough.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees who actually do a good job with more respect and reward them accordingly. Get rid of the dead-weight and stop allowing cliques of people who are the exec team's favorites. When an employee comes to you with concerns, actually listen to them and do something about it instead of just continuing down the same old, cut-throat road. It's time to start collaborating and stop competing with each.

Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brandmuscle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great clients, great co-workers, some autonomy, good experience for beginning designers, company has great potential if they had better management.

Cons

Upper management lacks structure, no communication, overloading workers without offering incentive, bonuses or raises, reducing staff to cut costs instead of driving sales, relies on policies and corporate "rules" instead of catering to client needs

Advice to Management

You are going to lose your most valuable clients by not meeting their needs, treat clients needs as individual even if it means bending your own rules to get there. Get more managers in place that inspire and mentor workers to get more productivity, don't just expect it for nothing in return.

7. Administrator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Brandmuscle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No time clock, Lenient, Free Coffee and perks

Cons

Low pay, Chairs are horrible, management does not enforce everyone fairly

Advice to Management

Bonuses, Incentives

8. Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Leander, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Leander, TX

I worked at Brandmuscle (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, benefits were ok.

Cons

Top Austin management very weak, poor leadership skills that lacked direction and too political. Salaries were very low and uncompetitive, employee turnover was like a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Fire the COO, if she was at any other company she wold have been canned a long time ago! She will limit the success of the local operation.

9. Decent place to work, has plusses and minuses like anywhere else

I have been working at Brandmuscle full-time

Pros

Work/life balance is taken into consideration. General atmosphere is fairly relaxed. Accomplishments and milestones are celebrated. Opportunities exist for growth and advancement if .

Cons

There are typical interdepartmental politics. Sometimes there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Sometimes what is intended to be collaboration turns into one-upmanship.

Advice to Management

Be really good at one thing instead of trying to be everything to everyone. People are the foundation - take care of them.

10. Good place to start

I have been working at Brandmuscle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clients, Great people

Cons

no opportunity for advancement, promotions consist of same job with a new title

Advice to Management

need more structure, recognize and promote talent

Manager, Support Services

Former Employee - Manager, Support Services in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Manager, Support Services in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Brandmuscle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is one of the best companies I've ever worked for in Northeast Ohio, Cleveland. The leadership was great. I was given a once in a lifetime opportunity to build a department from the ground up. I'm proud to see this company is still growing.

Cons

When I was there, the company was still growing as a start-up. We had some long hours. The experience I gained proved to be valuable for me.

Advice to Management

Continue building brand man's muscles.

RSS Feed </> Embed