Brandsmart USA

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Perlman

Working at Brandsmart USA

ProsGreat first job opportunity and very flexible with school scheduling. If working the part time $10 hourly + commission you can make about $1000 every two weeks once you understand the system and work in a department with the right traffic if not the most $600. If your into technology it is the place to be, a lot of things to learn from.

ConsIt's like a prison with many many rules. You Cannot go to lunch before 12 pm or after 6 pm, in most stores the break room is on the 3rd floor so it requires an elevator to get there so it's manually locked at 6 pm so that employees cannot leave. Every month a counseling form is given to tell you your performance, if you get 3 to 5 of them with negative feedback about you your next one if signed without being read will lead to your early termination. Management watch you like a hawk, it's a very crooked gossip based environment and if your an attractive female all things get bent your way. Full timers work more do more but make almost about the same as part timers. When it's time to leave you have to go through the same procedure you came in, go up the elevator then through security and then 2 to 3 flights of stairs which many employees have been injured going up and down from then fired after because they are a liability to the company... And that how it somewhat is working and Brandsmart USA, been working there for 4 years but finally built the courage to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement there need to go through a series of training because there not so bright theirselves. They want you to sell things they can't even sell theirselves their social skills are not so good, they talk down at there employees and like to flex there power of authority at the littlest thing and employee does. Also there very lazy at times and take multiple calls on the intercom to get them over to assist with a sale.

Very good experience. Fantastic for someone, 1st time in the retail world.

Appliance Specialist (Current Employee) Kennesaw, GA

ProsVery laid back, most of the time. If you sold and did your work you were doing great. I was always one of the top salesmen.

ConsWe were competing against so many other retailors, we not only had to have the best prices, but the best service. The compensation was very good, but unfortunately the health benefits were not very useful.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with the employees. They were the people that made the company run.

When it comes to the word "cheap", this company fits the bill...

Senior .NET Developer (Former Employee) Hollywood, FL

ProsNice, helpful, department employees, except for director.
    Good base salary.

Cons1. Benefits are extremely sub-par:

2. $12,000 deductible (for a given calendar year) including doctor visits and prescriptions for family medical coverage. When deductible is met, only 50% is covered. No, Life, Short or Long Term disability. No matching 401K plan. Zero PTO days during first year of employment.

3. No Quality Assurance (QA) implemented in SDLC which always cause production problems. Forms and code are constantly re-done to due to the lack of business users taking some accountability and actually taking a look at a screen in QA and signing off to eventually go into production. This causes constant modifications in screens and code when all can be done up front to avoid this recurring issue. Extreme micromanagement in designing of forms and code even if one little thing is out of place or variable names in code don’t suit the directors' idea of what they should be. The director expects everyone to be on his intellectual level and gets irate if you don’t understand something. I always do my best and have never experienced this type of behavior anywhere else. If my best isn’t good enough, they shouldn’t have hired me. I gave no incorrect information on my resume nor in my interview. There were eight other developers before me who quit because of this similar reasoning.

4. I was extremely underutilized. I could go two weeks without doing any kind of work whatsoever.

5. No annual performance reviews.

6. Company keeps track of salaried employees’ time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, get with the times and treat salaried employees like professionals. Lose the micromanagement and scare tactics. Improve your company benefits where employees would want to stay there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work when People are BUYING!!!!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsEasy going place, the job is not to hard at all.

ConsManagement does not listen to sales rep!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new Jobs

specialist

Specialist (Former Employee) Miami, FL

Prostraining the company does a fine job in training it's employers, they provide you with adequate knowledge of the product lines.

Consunreasonable request, harsh unethical work environment. Management shows no respect for employees and openly practice unethical behavior. During staff meetings they make sexually explicit remarks and unethical recommendations that encourage cheating and deceiving customers blatantly. Trickery is their modus operandi and they stand on this firmly. What ever it takes to drain the customer think with their pockets not yours is their Motto. Sick Sick Sick!!!

Advice to Senior Managementmaintain a respectable work environment

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company to learn at the bottom some of the best way to sale at 100% commission structure. Great people and products.

ConsFirst, being a small family own business moving up is difficult at best. Having worked at other national retail big box stores they have no clue how to deal with there staff regarding the work life environment and creating a consistent work culture. Management can fulfill the needs of the store without creating slaves out of there staff. If you take care of your staff, they will take care of your company. Second, not recognizing your market share and changing to meet the needs of the consumers you will become a dinosaurs. Cheaper prices is not keep you in the game for ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn, listen and be flexible to your staff. Adapt to the needs of your people and your customers. Your front line knows what you need to keep up with the rest of your competition.

More difficult every year

Appliance Sales (Current Employee) Kendall, FL

ProsThere is an opportunity to make a decent wage. You must bring your A game and master the products.

ConsThe hours worked will drain anyone physically. Company has no loyalty toward sales people and has the attitude they are doing YOU a favor by employing you. Very little margin in the products hence commissions have remained the same for years

Advice to Senior ManagementForget it. Management has no desire to hear advice. Senior management has no presence in the stores. Very sad family company father/son could have been a great place however they borrowed $30 million in April 2013 so who knows what the future ......

low advancement opportunity to move up

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Kennesaw, GA

Prossales staff are great to work with

Conslow positive motivation, and low opportunity to move up to management positions. No balance of family and work schedule.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more positive

Pay can be good, but dying business

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsBrandsmart USA Sales Specialists can earn well above average commission during periods when the traffic in the store is solid. You truly can write your own paycheck, if you are a hustler.

ConsManagement is not very good. The company is privately owned and all of the top management have some relationship with the owners. The result is that most of the people in charge of making decisions have no experience outside of Brandsmart USA. During the current economic downturn, they have allowed the business to suffer greatly because of reactive, not proactive, management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the floors of the stores. You really cannot know what is happening by sitting at computers looking at numbers all day. Upper Management needs to take charge of the stores. Allowing inexperienced store management to make big decisions on daily operations without input from corporate has you teetering on the brink of disaster.

Commissioned Sales Person

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood money relative to education required. If you do whats required management is flexible to accomodate limited outside obligations.

ConsHard on your feet. Lots of nights and wekends

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more transparency in tracking commisions.

Worked for Brandsmart USA? Contribute to the Community!