Brant Publications Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Evanly Schindler

1. Excellent place to intern.

Pros

Everyone was very nice and eager to give me projects. I learned a lot just by being in the busy environment.

Cons

Most of the responsibilities were basic administrative tasks. Not very challenging.

2. Art in America editorial intern

Former Intern - Editorial Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Brant Publications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Open office plan means it is very easy to talk to full-time staff and network if you take the initiative.

Cons

A lot of busywork, and I didn't feel as if I was actually learning anything at this internship. I heard that the CEO cut full-time staff and replaced them with unpaid interns in order to fund his private jet. That definitely doesn't help office morale.

Advice to Management

If you advertise that you subsidize transportation, pay up. I have been calling the office every month to get my transportation stipend that is now over a year late. It is absurd!

3. I was an HR intern with Brant Publications

Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Brant Publications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Pleasant people to work with - Flexible hours - College Credit Available - Good to learn the basics of Human Resource Management - Manager often had supplementary reading on best HR Practice

Cons

- Upper management refuses to update IS systems. Everything is on paper - My boss told me that she would write a letter of recommendation, but upon request refused claiming it was "company policy". - The whole company basically relies on unpaid interns -Low retention rate -Often found myself doing personal favors for upper management (picking up prescriptions, online shopping, picking up gifts across NYC) - Little training and direction from management

Advice to Management

- Update your information system - Stop forcing interns to run personal favors

5. Good Co-Workers, Depressing management

Former Employee - Mailroom Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mailroom Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Brant Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely a good starter if you're looking to start out in a real office environment with an experienced staff to sponge off from. Majority of peers are definitely team players. Location near NYU is great for students.

Cons

upper management lives in the dark ages. So much paper work that can be easily avoided without disrupting the chain of command. A lot a side task that have nothing to do with your job description along with constant micro management. Plus, threatening termination every time there is a set back isn't exactly a positive motivator. There are also a lot of unpaid interns filling the roles of what should be regular paid workers.

Advice to Management

Definitely needs to ease up on micro management. Should move up to the digital age a little, all that paperwork processing is too inefficient for all the time sensitive task.

6. Receptionist intern

Former Intern - Reception in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Reception in New York, NY

I worked at Brant Publications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers where really friendly in the short time i was there learned a lot

Cons

Wish they where more felxible

7. flash of fashion and pop new york, still waiting for the jury on whether it's of substance

Pros

cool people most of the time

Cons

slave labor of interns, whole show would go under if it weren't for the naive unpaid college interns

Advice to Management

actually value your employees so some of them can afford lunch

8. Great people, tough environment.

Pros

The majority of workers there are really down to earth. They were my first and last impression there.

Cons

Work environment is a bit tough. Depending on which department you're in, the work is sometimes annoying. Sometimes a bit depressing.

Advice to Management

Be more alive!

9. Terrible people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good for your resume if you work at Interview.

Cons

The upper management at Inteview Magazine is among the unhappiest people on Earth. Do not work here.

RSS Feed </> Embed