Breg Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.4

Brad Lee

A great, fast paced company in an ever changing industry

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Breg full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company has a strong culture with very little turnover compared to industry standards. Be cautious of negative reviews and note most are previous employees or contract labor. Yes, this is a fast paced environment, but I have never worked for another company where your opinion mattered and was asked for as much as here. Those that will be successful are those that are willing to speak up, work hard and contribute to a good company.

Cons

If you are looking for a company where you wait in the sidelines and wait for people to tell you what to do next and what you should be focusing on, this probably isn't the right fit for you.

Continue to discuss and focus on the company's culture and company goals throughout the entire organization.

Highly disfunctional company

Former Employee - Management  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Breg full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are an exempt employee, unlimited vacation time, within reason, location, can't beat Carlsbad/SD area

Cons

Culture: it's shoved down your throat, but not practiced except for on paper
    Senior Management: Not engaged in the day to day running of the company except to discuss the culture. Too busy working with private equity firm that owns the company looking for new M&A activities, they forget to notice that they still haven't integrated the last acquisition.
    Staff: Ask about CareFusion, too many people brought over who worked together (note: CareFusion had a large layoff, you connect the dots)
    Promotion Ability: If you live and breath the culture and clueless about your job, you will be promoted.
    Your job: Don't let them fool you, they are a small fish that their competitor down the street owns the market, not very sophisticated in actual global market.

Be a leader, quit self-promoting yourselves and hire people who are qualified that can grow your company instead of promoting those that are unqualified yet regurgitate what you want to hear. Otherwise, you are an easy target for said competitor down the street.

I can finally breathe now that I'm gone.

I worked at Breg full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits and PTO are okay

Cons

After reading each review I have to say that the negative ones were exactly spot on. I was there for almost a year and I couldn't even take it then. Breg used to be a great place where we would have potlucks for everybody's birthdays, celebrate holidays etc. until they started having a bunch of secret meeting and laying people off, that's when everybody I sat next to stop talking to each other, and then everybody was out for themselves. You have to be very careful what you say to certain people, as well as managers. People try to buddy buddy you and then take whatever you say to the higher-ups to throw you under the bus. The customer care department was like a concentration camp, people had to take breaks at certain times eat lunch at certain times and you weren't even allowed to go to the bathroom without notifying somebody, their entire billing department was shipped over to India, and the only people who are there now are to so-called "monitor the India team" Until the transition is complete. This whole company is very dysfunctional. Some people on salary definitely take advantage, I sat next to a woman Who I saw get into her car and leave for three hours and didn't come back till the end of the day, she also did this almost every single day. The culture is a joke no one follows it. All I know is that they're making a bunch of layoffs which makes me think that they're getting ready to sell the company itself. This is been one of the worst working experiences I've ever gone through and I would never ever suggest someone working for this company.

Notice how unhappy your employees are before the company falls to the ground. Every person I've ever talk to who worked for this company or is working for them, either hates working there has quit or is looking for a job while working there. Open your eyes breg this isn't exactly the The culture you portray. Just remember practice what you preach

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away! No growth ability, high turnover, lack of training, AWFUL culture.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Breg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are employed and have benefits.

Cons

I do not recommend this company. Breg is an extremely a top-heavy company. A few people actually do the real work and the rest sit in meetings all day and create presentations about said meetings. The managers don’t actually manage anything, or anyone, they regurgitate the current propaganda the executive level team is currently pushing, and of course they preach the Breg “culture.” This “culture” is the Breg cult/religion that no one actually practices.

You could be a more than competent employee, but if you are seen as not practicing the culture forget about getting promoted. However, if you look busy, say the right things to the right people you can do nothing all day and find yourself with a promotion and nice new title after your “review.”

Beware of the turnover rate, which is HUGE. Some people have had three-four mangers in a one-year period. Whole departments turn over in months. You will find yourself trying to establish working relationships with other departments over and over. Layoffs and firings are a daily occurrence and keep in mind privately held Breg, Inc. is heavily involved in mergers and acquisitions which puts everyone’s job at risk.

The distinction between salaried and hourly employees is more exaggerated than most companies. Salaried employees have “unlimited PTO” (at the managers discretion). Their coming and going is unmonitored. Before holidays they leave early if they even come in. Hourly employees are monitored like they are trying to cheat the company and every minute is watched. This has created a strange divide between exempt and non-exempt employees. Breg tried to hide the policy change when it was first implemented because they are not giving everyone the same benefits.

Open your eyes! Promote the right people and forget about the culture.

Outside sales representative

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Breg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a strong & growing brand in the Orthopedic post-operative space.
    The company is growing and stealing share from its largest competitors.
    As a rep there are many good products to feature and lead with that have advantages in the marketplace.

Cons

It is a tough grind for new reps to get attention from customers in this space. Plan on a 18 month lead time to be successful. There are direct and independent sales roles within the company. Non-company reps sometimes get the shaft from distributors that are cheap. Direct sales reps tend to be micro-managed by some of the RSM's.

Continue to add people that will embrace the core values and not just recite them.
    Add products that are well priced vs. the competition not 20% higher

Do not work for this company!!

I worked at Breg full-time

Pros

There are no pros to working here other than you get a paycheck. All of the horrible reviews on here are spot on.

Cons

If you don't kiss butt to the right people then you are automatically hated, When you interview with HR, they will be very nice to you, try to sell you the company and if you get hired they will treat you like you are a waste of their time. HR are looking out for what's best for the company, they don't care about their employees. You can trust them. The turnover rate is very high, upper management thinks it's because people are moving out of state, only two people moved. The rest quit because they were unhappy. The pay is a joke, raises are barely cost of living. Everyone feels under appreciated. You will be expected to do a lot more than your job with no extra pay. Managers say that they will do something and then they don't. A lot of talk and no walk. They have a belief that is "just say it". If you just say it and it's something that management doesn't want to hear, they will be out to get you. They will either make you quit, or find a reason to fire you. The bonus is bad. Up to $1000 a year if you are hourly, salary gets up to 20% of their salary. Lots of secretive meetings going on, probably getting ready to move all the billing department over to India and fire majority of the people in that department. A lot of people don't take accountability for their own actions, they blame other people. At this company, work always comes first and anything that actually matters like your health and family, comes second.

Stop treating your employees like slaves. Open your eyes Mr President and stop being in denial about why everyone is leaving.

NEVER WORK HERE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Breg

Pros

Some of the people were nice but that's it

Cons

They sell you on this idea of "Breg culture" but it's a bunch of lies.. Terrible management. HIGH turnover with employes, and Very very top heavy. They let a women go three months ago to save money and then hired a VP.. They also Tells their employes to "not lie but don't tell the truth" About the company so called step to move forward. Your always kept under the rug until they pull it out from under you. I don't understand how people stay there for more then a year.. This is the very last job I would ever take.. Run when they offer you a job because the idea sounds good until you start working there and want to leave right away

Too TOP heavy... Don't work here

I worked at Breg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training is adequate here. work life balance can exist. Company is pretty transparent with how the company is doing.

Cons

Breg likes to put on the facade that they live the culture but they don't. "A" players are butt kissers. If you don't kiss butt, expect to be a "B" and "C" player. This place is too top heavy, every other day another director or manager was being brought on board. Promotions are few and far between for some departments. Others who threaten to leave usually see more promotions. Oh, one last thing, Pay is a joke here.

Awful place to work!

Former Employee - Order Processor
    Former Employee - Order Processor

I worked at Breg full-time for less than a year

Pros

I would say the only real pro is that unlike "Hotel California" I checked in, but I WAS unable to leave at the end of the day. I did have a very nice person that sat next to me who started employment at the same time and we helped each other when we were to afraid or intimidated to ask the department head for assistance.

Cons

I sat next to THE most back stabbing person I think I've ever had the displeasure to meet, in my life. Apparently the cultural values were completely lost on her, although I believe they were lost on EVERYONE! Having to recite these "values" as if we were in the girl or boy scouts was absolutely absurd! Nobody seemed to actually live and work by these values. It was quite amusing to see after I left that they had even changed the wording of their "cultural values". LOL Three times a charm? Keep on working at it Breg, you might get there at some point. I felt like it was constant Big Brother looking over my shoulder and that the head supervisor was just waiting and watching to see who would make a mistake. I find one of THE most amusing and ludicrous acts by management was the 5 s experience in which they went around and took pictures of our desks when we weren't there (after we left for the day, I assume) and circled in red what is out of place. They then placed these pictures on the wall for all to see. When we corrected our "mistakes" or misplacement of said items, we were allowed to take our pictures down. I never did get that gold star :( Another thing: I understand that large companies need structure, however assigning when a person has to go to lunch and breaks without flexibility was kinda lame. Ms. Nosey pants next to me felt she needed to go tell the supervisor when I went at the wrong time one afternoon. Anyway, overall this place really sucked to work at.

Pull your heads out and let people breathe and do their job without breathing down their necks and making them do stupid crap like reciting values that aren't even implemented!

A great company to work for with lots of opportunity for growth.

I have been working at Breg full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Growing at a very fast pace so you get exposed to a lot of different situations in a short amount of time.
    Casual dress
    Unlimited time off for salaried employees and a generous amount for hourly
    Benefits
    Friendly people; executive team is nice too
    Open communication from the President
    Culturally this company has a great thing going.

Cons

Rapid growht = midstream direction changes that some people might find difficult to deal with.
    Long hours are possible at times
    Turnover seems high but the new hires are great and seem to really know their jobs.

Encourage your team to have a work life balance. Make sure you live the culture and don't just preach it.

Worked for Breg? Contribute to the Community!