www.brendanwood.com

Updated November 27, 2014
Updated November 27, 2014
3.9

Brendan Wood

I have been working at Brendan Wood International (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a world class clientele, an outstanding reputation for the highest quality capital markets intelligence on the planet. Interns are offered unique opportunities to tackle serious challenges at a very early stage in their careers. The alumni and employees of this firm speak for themselves on the company web site. The genuine employee reviews ,where alumni and employees clearly identify themselves, consistently refer to an extraordinary learning curve and personal growth path. The firm pays its young people well, the benefits are good and there is a mandatory 4 week vacation plan for all employees. The training aspect is the huge advantage which distinguishes this as a learning opportunity and puts it in a class of its own. The company works in an open forum and the transparency is unique. Decisions are made on the spot, allowing young persons to quickly grasp the experience of the partners, listening in to the discussion on all kinds of issues and challenges. The firm is privileged to work on the most relevant issues in the world. Its inteliigence programs are all designed within the walls of the company and are independently financed by this firm's partners. The company is highly successful, owns its own building and uses no lines of credit, rather operates on shareholder capital. It is a model company ,operating with the highest standards of ethics and integrity as is well known to its clientele and alumni.

Cons

The standards are high for work ethic and integrity. Occasionally an intern fails to meet such tests. The company has sometimes been victimized by bitterness arising from employees who despite the firm's gracious exit procedures and severance ,exercise resentment before and especially after their departure. Fortunately, these experiences are outweighed by the positives but anonymous venom is distracting . I am amazed at the partners irrepressible patience and optimism. The name on the door and the company"s relatively small size make it an ideal target for those who are caught out by the standards which are rigidly enforced as they have to be.

Keep the 43 year tradition going and hire the best.

An amazing experience

Former Employee - Senior Scholastic in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Scholastic in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Brendan Wood International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

At Brendan Wood International, you learn a lot. The company has an amazing scholastic internship program that gives young candidates a very hands on experience. The experience is very beneficial to future job prospects, as it gives a deep insight to how the capital markets work. I started working at BWI as one of their first scholastic interns and I was there through the beginning of the program, hiring et al. The company does a great job at helping its staff gain meaningful leadership experience, and that is a strong stepping stone for a future career. Working at BWI you meet some well educated and very smart people, even former CFA's in the mining industry! You can get a deep insight into their experiences through friendly conversation. The environment is very supportive, and you are able to catch on quickly.

I appreciate the company values, as well. They have a strong value for it's interns' education, and they actively support this through flexible hours and even scholarships! Truly an amazing experience, and it's a great company to start your career.

Cons

The company is very client based and one will see that from time to time the work load builds up to meet deadlines. However this is good insight to how many companies work, especially in their area of business. Nonetheless, they are doing a good job so no harsh comments against them.

Your scholastic internship is amazing, keep it going! Otherwise your products and services are top notch in the marketplace.

Best Learning Opportunity

Former Employee - ScholasticPac Rim in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - ScholasticPac Rim in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Brendan Wood International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you are enthusiastic about the job, and willing to take advantage of the multiple opportunities BWI offers, you are able to learn about the global market within a month. I accepted this internship because I was curious about the financial world and I strongly believe no other company could have taught me so much about investment, finance, communication skills, persuasive skills, and data analysis all at once. I am glad I had the opportunity to grow professionally with a company like BWI.

Cons

Even though the Scholastic Internship Program is an amazing program, it is still growing and might need a bit more structuring to be done. I hhappened to be an intern when the project was implemented, which was 3 months ago, so I'm sure the past 3 months taught them what should be improved.

Excellent Opportunity

Current Employee - Panel Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Panel Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Brendan Wood International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The firm is fast paced and highly relevant to corporate executives and institutional investors. The management team delivers quality service to clients and has a great reputation in the market. The management team knows the industry and the most important players in the capital markets. The intelligence is second to none.

Cons

The company works as long as it needs to in order to fully satisfy their clients; client satisfaction is very high. The intelligence is highly relevant and incredibly useful to clients.

The firm should continue to build the business and the brand.

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Partner in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Partner in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Brendan Wood International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice office building but there are hidden cameras and microphones everywhere.

Cons

The worst kind of environment to work in. Very negative. Many of the staff are immature and dishonest. There are hidden cameras throughout the office and management eavesdrops on personal conversations. There is no path to grow here. It is a sweatshop. You will be used and abused. The Brendan Wood brand is a fallacy.

Brendan is an act. He is a cult leader that mis-treats people in an in-humane way. He has no manners. He does not understand basic business concepts. Get someone in that can lead that knows how business works. Stop abusing people just because you can. Stop hiding behind charitable endeavors. Pay people what they deserve.

Teaches Hard Realities but Leaves You With Too Many Bruises

I worked at Brendan Wood International as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning - rarely do you get to see business from this perspective

Cons

Absolutely no encouragement
    Poor pay in relation to the profits the company makes
    Negative environment

Pay your people and treat them like humans

Sales Consultant Intern

I have been working at Brendan Wood International full-time

Pros

Great learning experience. Very fast-paced and duties are very diverse in nature. Great position for ambitious, committed people. The organic and entrepreneurial work environment allows for even those at the "bottom" to be empowered and make positive contributions to the company.

Cons

Longer working days, demanding and challenging tasks, not typical business structure.

Stay Away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Brendan Wood International full-time

Pros

The office is very nice. The location is convenient and is in a nice part of town.

Cons

This company is a white collar sweatshop. All you do is conduct surveys all day long and then type all of the information, word for word, into data entry forms. It is BORING, over-rated, and pays very badly, yet everyone is expected to put in dozens of hours of unpaid overtime. The only thing I learned at that place was that it's okay to be abusive to people as long as you own the company. I will never work for a private company again--there is no accountability, and the owner can insult and yell and whoever they want without repercussions. He thinks he's a demi-god and it's sick.

Stop pretending this company is anything more than a telemarketing company that conducts surveys. Tricking young graduates into working for you because of the "experience" is grossly unfair. There is nothing to learn here. I would suggest that you get Brendan to stop treating employees like they are trash, but there is no point. He won't stop. He enjoys it too much.

Current Employee - Managing Director
    Current Employee - Managing Director

I have been working at Brendan Wood International full-time

Pros

The company is a Top-Tier global intelligence firm that works with corporations, portfolio managers and investment banks around the world. The brand has a 40+ year track record of excellence. Individuals have all the opportunity in the world to accelerate their careers and learn from the Partners whom most have 20+ years of successful experience. Almost no company in the world offers young professionals a chance to speak/meet C-Level Executives and Portfolio Managers around the globe. The firm has a high level of standards due to the nature of the business. Transparency, Trust and Integrity are the cornerstones to the company's success. The company offers individuals a chance to start their careers or change from a prior one.

Cons

This career is not for everyone. Ownership is key to a successful career at the company. An individual must have integrity, be resourceful, have a good work ethic and love the job. The company asks the hard questions and demands the very best of everyone.

Only hire the best individuals that will love the career opportunity.

Provided the foundation for a Bay Street Career

I worked at Brendan Wood International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My time at BWI was a great learning experience for me. Fresh out of university, I knew that I wanted to be in the investment industry but did not know whether I wanted to be in investment banking, equity research or buyside. BWI not only exposed me to all these three disciplines but also provided me the opportunity to speak and learn from senior executives of publically listed companies, top sell side analysts and buy side portfolio managers. In addition, BWI provided me with the skill set that I utilize now to conduct due diligence on companies. Overall, very happy that I had the opportunity to work there.

Cons

BWI is not for everyone. Its for people with a strong work ethic, desire to eat what they kill and the ability to use this platform to help actualize their potential. Senior management has high expectations from its employees but are fair.