Brenntag

Steve Clark

Great team, wonderful environment

Current Employee - Senior OpenEdge Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior OpenEdge Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brenntag full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment
    Not too much pressure
    Reasonable dialogs with superiors

Cons

Unfortunately, home office is not allowed

Consider reviewing the "no work from home" policy

Good place to gain commercial experience and exposure to chemical and manufacturing industries.

I worked at Brenntag full-time

Pros

Most people have never heard of Brenntag but it is a $15bn company that supplies pretty much every other company that you have heard of with their chemical needs. That said, if you are on the account management side of the business you will get wide exposure to many types of businesses. I have not had many bad experiences with other employees. Management is relatively accessible and there is a lot of freedom to excel to the degree you choose. Brenntag is quite entrepreneurial which makes it a good environment to learn and be challenged

Cons

There is a lot of work coming through, therefore you have to prioritize well. Even if you do a good job prioritizing, you will only be able to keep up with extra hours.

Overall good job. Important to build a culture which is difficult to do in a growth by acquisition environment. Increase constructive team time.

Chaos

Former Employee - Driver in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Driver in Memphis, TN

I worked at Brenntag full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits with below average wage

Cons

you will pay the price of their disfuntion.

get it together

Worked there before they had a human resource person so it was like a male fraternity

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Brenntag full-time (more than an year)

Pros

they gave me the tools to succeed, good pricing, their own delivery trucks, etc.. My first Manager was very nice and respectful, but he moved onto Brenntag Hdq, then our new Mgr had napoleon complex....

Cons

As I said, Mgmt is different now, from when I worked there. They go through Reps. like water....I guess to keep salaries low. Yrs ago we had a VP of sales that was an idiot and from what I hear things are better now. Making me drive many hours into office in reading for my office day and I had to be there by 8 am and stay until 5!!

Not sure if you are finding reasons to let people go or if they are quitting on their own, but many purchasing Mgr's are sick of breaking in the new rep at Brenntag.....you may be keeping salaries low, but you are losing a ton of business in the meantime.

BRENNTAG (NO!) WAY

I have been working at Brenntag

Pros

Good medical and dental plan although amount charged to employees have increased significantly. 401K and pension plans are satisfactory.

Cons

No women or persons of color in Senior Management positions. No Latino presence in upper management. No people of color in sales positions. People of color are hired and quickly let go from company. No sensitivity training program. High paying positions are held by Caucasian males. Low morale and questionable business ethics by senior management.

Open up senior positions to Latinos, Women, and other minority groups. Learn about other ethnic groups to reduce upper management's reluctance to employ minorities in leadership roles. Promote top performing minorities and pay them equal to their Caucasian counterparts.

Brenntag Great Lakes

I have been working at Brenntag

Pros

Brenntag does offer a full line of nice benefits at a reasonable price. Unlike our larger competitors, we are not in a state of complete disarray which gives a sense of job security.

Cons

As a sales rep, you will have to argue and fight for every penny of earned commission. BGL management will find every reason to keep it and sales reps get tired of fighting over money. This is why we are having a huge amount of turnover. If I had the option to leave, I would leave today. If it was not for my direct manager, I would have left a long time ago.

As for other parts of the company, materials management is OK, but could improve. The HR department couldn't be any worse, but fortunately other managers understand the benefits if you have any questions. Operations has had their share of turnover too so it is a struggle at times to get products delivered on time.

As a general rule, most of the top managers (for the Great Lakes region) have no moral compass. A great company to work for but you will be exhausted from fighting for what you have rightfully earned.

Question the BGL executive team and find out why they are having turnover issues. Then question the sales team to get the truth.

Sales Rep

I have been working at Brenntag

Pros

Strong Management
    Strong Product Portfolio
    Respected Name in the Industry

Cons

Long Hours
    hard work
    cut throat industry

OK for a stepping stone job

I worked at Brenntag

Pros

Comparable pay, 401k is good, support group for sales was getting better

Cons

no cons that really stand out but maybe advancement

none

Poster Child for Unethical Company

I worked at Brenntag full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement 401(k) match - insurance

Cons

Upper management is unethical. Brenntag refuses to invest in their facilities, communities, and their employees. Brenntag does not invest in their facilities and equipment causing major safety hazards for their employees and the local communities.

Brenntag also does not support their employees. Employees are continually left out in the cold because upper management does not assist their efforts. There is no support for Supervisors, Managers, or Drivers. Upper management does not hold themselves to same standards as they expect from their subordinates.

Investigate what is going on with operations. Centralize decision making in North America. Make improvements for employee moral and turnover.

Not good not bad

Former Employee - Procurement Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Procurement Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at Brenntag full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent exposure if you are new

Cons

No career planning, management is not the best and the salary is not going to be bumped unless you changed positions. Very disorganized company, doesn't communicate within