www.bresnan.com

James Dolan

Former Employee - Director in Casper, WY
    Former Employee - Director in Casper, WY

I worked at Bresnan

Pros

Personal growth, promotions, trust, support

Cons

Locational values didn't align with corporate values

Brain drain

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Billings, MT

I worked at Bresnan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the people were hard workers and pretty knowledgeable

Cons

Some of the management was pulled from the technical ranks and really should not have been.

With 2 major changes of ownership in the last couple of years, much of the brain power has sought greener pastures.

Make a technical career path and a managerial career path. Then allow people to do what they're good at. Don't make techs become bosses--at least, not without some management training.

Review

I have been working at Bresnan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cares about the customer, very community oriented

Cons

Good ol'boy mentality when it comes to leadership

none

Uncoordinated

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Billings, MT

I worked at Bresnan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The majority of the employees are hard workers, willing to roll up their sleeves and get the job done, no matter whose job it is.

Cons

The company has changed hands a number of times and there has been a big disconnect between corporate headquarters and the operations sites. Also, much of the talent has been drained.

Take good care of your operations team--the Wyoming, Montana, Colorado groups do a lot of work to keep customers happy. Learn from them about how they care for the customers.

Sales Agent

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Billings, MT

I worked at Bresnan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, relaxed work environment, happy employees, focus on the customer and good benefits.

Cons

High call volumes could become a little tedious. Call center environment but by far the best I've ever worked in.

Focus more on employees on a professional level, more raises and growth opportunity within the company.

Sales dep. good place to work

Former Employee - Inbound Sales in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales in Billings, MT

I worked at Bresnan

Pros

Pay, pay, pay, 54k in my case.
    Work environment
    People
    Bennefits
    The supervisors are good at what they do. Training is great.

Cons

Dealing with crazy mountain people.
    Shifts can suck.
    Slow times of the year.
    Customer care reps fail at doing there job and sales agents often times pick up their slack.

Keep changes to a minimum. Or at least don't inact changes all at once. You're losing good employees because of this.

good job if you like working independently

Current Employee - Installer/Technician in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Installer/Technician in Billings, MT

I have been working at Bresnan

Pros

Good career path for installers and techs, lots of training. Will let you go to your first job of the day from home instead of having to go into the office - that saves a lot of time and lets me get coffee at home. Even though theres a set schedule and quota to meet, I really like working independently and I can do that at Bresnan. I get good support from my boss and my team.

Cons

Same as any other outdoor job, you have to deal with Montana's cold winters but the spring and summer time sure make up for it.

Maybe a little more time spent in the local offices.

Only if you're desperate

Former Employee - Engineer in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Billings, MT

I worked at Bresnan

Pros

Benefits are decent but could be better.

Cons

The salaries are not comparable to other companies in the field and the belief is that since you work in the rural mid-west that you do not need to be compensated like your peers in other locations. There is a very extreme and obvious disconnect between Headquarters in NY and employees in MT, WY, CO, and Utah, the VPs and higher ups simply do not listen. The nepotism/cronyism regardless of skills or experience is profound at this company.

I suggest that if Bresnan is your only option in your area that you only use it as a stepping stone and get out as soon as possible.

Listen to your employees, you hired them to do a job, now let them do it.

Upper management uses employees like pawns in a political battle.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billings, MT

I worked at Bresnan

Pros

You live in Billings and have no other options. I really can not think of a good reason to work for Bresnan unless you are given a VP position in the NY office because then people MIGHT actually listen to your ideas and allow you to act on them. What normally happens is you have an idea, IF it is actually heard by anyone in management they steal the idea and make it their own. If it turns out the idea/project fails then they make sure that the employee takes the blame.

Cons

Upper management uses employees like pawns in a political battle and is willing to sacrifice an employee to make sure they don't loose face.
    They have too much division of responsibility stemming from having too many Vice Presidents and Directors. They are paralyzed because each of those upper level managers are fighting to control their territory instead of working for the good of the company.

1) Stop talking about communication and start communicating
    2) Stop thinking of employees as disposable worthless tools to use when fighting some stupid political battle
    3) Break down barriers between internal organizations -- better yet consolidate internal organizations and get rid of some VP overhead.
    4) Get down off of your Mount Olympus and open communications with your employees -- LISTEN to what is said -- and act on that information

Why even bother with a company that is small when it's convenient for them, yet is a big company when it's convenient.

Former Employee - Network Engineer. in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Network Engineer. in Billings, MT

I worked at Bresnan

Pros

The only reason to work for Bresnan is if you enjoy being crapped on daily and like free cable tv and internet.

Cons

Senior management in this company is a joke. Bill Bresnan chooses to promote his former gardner to a position of prominence within the company. Yet nobody knows HOW to move up within the company. It's a muddled top heavy mess. By far the worst company I've ever worked for.

Rather than going to trade shows and taking the advice of some idiot salesman, try listening to the engineers you are paying. It would also be nice if Bresnan would stop hiring the cast-offs from other MSOs. Reading a magazine article about a new technology doesn't give you a license to be an expert on said new technology.