Brickman

Updated September 10, 2014
2.8

Brickman CEO Andrew Kerin
Andrew Kerin

Pros
  • There are some very good people who work at BFS, mostly at the lower levels (in 7 reviews)

• Good Benefits are about all that i can think of positive (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They will work you long hours as a salaried employee, and expect you to be grateful for having a job (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management seems more interested in appeasing investors than building a solid company that will last long into the future (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Yorktown, VA

Current Employee - Crew Leader  in  Yorktown, VA
    Current Employee - Crew Leader in Yorktown, VA

I have been working at Brickman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Every time we need something on the field or a repair with our equipment. The branches team is very efficient about getting what we need. Every body is friendly and really helpful in the office. If you show your determination in this company, they will inturn help you to achieve your goal to persu and develop your career in Brickman.

Cons

Working with other employes who have to complain about there job constantly. Personally there are no cons where we work. This is a great place to work. It's a shame that you actually have to work or maby have to take a class to two too advance in this company. It just kill people to no end.Waho the agony.

Keep it up, every one up there is doing a fantastic job.

great crew

I worked at Brickman

Pros

friendly co-workers and management. Good equipment to work with

Cons

language barrier, lay off quickly during season

Corp USA

I worked at Brickman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Big company, Pretty Good Benefits, you can learn a thing or two if you can connect/relate with the right people

Cons

Too large, Too Corporate, lost a lot of good people, culture change is not based on what the founding family believes in. Huge disappointment

Pay attention to the people that actually know what they are talking about (i.e., have experience) and actually know what they are doing...they may be willing to help you one day when you really need it. Lastly, stop giving crap raises and meaningless excuses as to why people are not getting them. People are not as stupid as you think.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hold On Tight, it is Going to be a Long Bumpy Ride

I have been working at Brickman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you like a big company and structure we are about to get a whole lot bigger, doubling our company's size by buying Valley Crest. I have hard working people at my branch but the branch service quality and people quality vary a lot. We seem to fill most of our top positions with people from other companies so that is a bonus if you don't work here, it is a source of aggrivation for our people.

Cons

The last few years at the company have been very different as the Brickman family moved out of ownership. It is like we are on a roller coaster rride but the worst part is you do not know if your car is going to stay on the track. We got a new CEO and he has brought in all sorts of new people at the upper upper level. They will push mandates out to us and tell us how to do our job. It is pretty funny thinking that they know how to do my job when they never are on customer's properties. They also push cost cutting on us at the same time that they are zipping around the country in the corporate jet. Work life balance is a joke especially in snow season. The company gets all of that gravy but forgets to spread it around to us little guys.

We bought Valley Crest in July and a lot of my peers are really happy about that because they do a really good job and we were excited to think that we will actually merge with Valley Crest. We were let down a week ago when we were told that the head people who ran maintenance for Valley Crest did not get a single spot reorting to our CEO. I guess better together doesn't mean Brickman and Valley Crest, it means Brickman and Brickman or Brickman and anyone else. People in the company want a shot at these great roles and we are constantly getting looked over. Valley Crest people will need to get used to that.

Our customers do not like that we are now together as one company because they used us as price checks against each other. This just make us bigger not better. I am in this industry because I love working outside but I am afraid that the big company will be motivated by big bucks and cost cutting.

Walk in our boots for a day and get your butts off of the corporate jet. This is a real business with customers that demand a lot from us and we are asked to shave hours, shave hours, shave hours. Do more with less equipment. Spend time in the branches insead of sending a consultant.

"Not what it used to be" Not Recommendable. Gave it 1 star for the sake of the review

I worked at Brickman

Pros

Great Employees, benefits and its a job, that's about it.

Cons

I would not recommend my worst enemy to work for this company. They lack tact and communication skills. I have seen/heard workers being treated horribly and not given the tools necessary to complete their jobs. Workers have been here for years, still making the same salary which is about a dollar more than minimum wage...and they try to justify their gratitude by providing "barbecue parties." All I have heard is that Brickman is not what it used to be. As for the office position, trust me when I tell you...prepare to be overwhelmed for pennies on the dollar. Not worth the hassle or the stress.

Take care of your workers and they will take care of you. Take more pride in the QUALITY not just the quantity. Pay attention to the type of person you are considering as a manager...especially for a large branch. Someone who lacks social and communication skills has no business being a manager, especially when they do not hold themselves accountable for their own mistakes.

Customer, Investor and Employee Beware

I worked at Brickman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pros are all in the legacy past which is being borrowed upon to foment the public offering to come. Brickman was an organization founded on the core principle of delivering quality customer service with great performance. This propelled the organization to the most highly valued commercial landscape company in history with an aquisition price at a high multiple of 10. The new leadership regime has discarded this approach for short term gain and is concerned only with growing the top and bottom lines at the expense of customer service and employee wellness. This is a short term approach and the merger with Valley Crest the respected former number one competitor of Brickman will be rapid in order to present an attractive investment before reality sets in. Customers, investors and prospective emnployees beware. What you are presented to believe is not reality.

Cons

Brickman will merge with Valley Crest and a public offering with a likely big payday for the new leadership regime will result but the organization will be a facade by that time and headed for a similar fate akin to the Tru Green Landscaping venture in the past. The loss of intellectual talent is too severe for the organization to obtain the great balance of customer service and performance realized in the past. Furthermore the organization is no longer one of integrity and is cutting service below contractural agreements and increasing prices above market levels to achieve results. This is a short term play that will catch up to the organization. Customers will see the results in their landscapes/expenditures and employees are feeling the pressure and leaving in droves. The quality regional players in the industry will reap the benefits of this play and should position themselves appropriately.

Get the deal done fast before the wheels fall off.

Can't imagine the atmosphere now

Former Employee - Controller
    Former Employee - Controller

I worked at Brickman full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a job. Can't think of much else, hard to get excited about landscaping.

Cons

Low pay for many hours, paper pushing and so many spreadsheets! Office culture existed where mediocrity was rewarded as long as you towed the company line. With the merger or whatever you'd like to call it can't imagine the kill or be killed attitude and total panic that is going on! So happy to be out of there!

The disparity in pay between the upper level VP's and the field employees is shocking. You fly your private jet around from meeting to meeting yet the branch offices are in run down trailers. I personally found working in such a corporate environment to be very stifling and all the scorecards in the world can't measure actually speaking to employees without their supervisors present to truly judge morale in the branches.

Expanding company

I have been working at Brickman

Pros

Good, fun co-workers; growing company

Cons

Communication from higher level down is lacking; compensation for non-managers could improve

Operations Manager

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Brickman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable company, advancement opportunity, can transfer to other branches. Most Brickman employees are hard working good people!

Cons

Salary positions are not compensated for hours worked. 60 hr work week for 40 hrs pay. Cost of employee benefits too high. Health insurance $110 per week for family of 4. Goes up every year! Low pay makes it hard to retain employees.

If you want to be the best landscape company in the country. Then offer better wages and benefits to reward current employees and attract better people for the future. New culture change has been a positive.

All the Cons of Big Corporate America

I have been working at Brickman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Reasonably stable workplace. Overall great people to work with.

Cons

Poorly managed. All decisions are based on corporate greed rather than long-term sustainability.

Worked for Brickman? Contribute to the Community!