Bridgeline Digital

Updated November 24, 2014
2.6

Bridgeline Digital Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas L. Massie
Thomas L. Massie

Pros
  • Great product and great people who want desperately to succeed and help our customers succeed (in 6 reviews)

• Exciting, fast paced team environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance - There are a lot of projects and pressure to perform at a high level (in 5 reviews)

• this company is growing fast so you can't be dependent on someone telling you what to do everyday (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Company with a Bright Future

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Very Competitive Pay
    -A real chance to build on your personal career growth and make a true impact on the organization
    -A great product in iAPPS that is constantly being worked on by Research and Development to be improved
    -The people you work with who genuinely love working with one another on projects

I have been here about 6 months and whatever the previous Burlington, MA poor reviews are either lies or are now no longer the case after the former employees that wrote them left. The people in place now at high level positions are taking the necessary steps to move the organization in the right direction. If you are looking into a position at Bridgeline, once you speak to one of them you'll realize why this is a great place to advance your career

Cons

There aren't Cons but more things that were important points to improve on which were addressed in company restructuring and delivery process changes

Work/Life Balance - There are a lot of projects and pressure to perform at a high level. I believe that its understandable that at any company that's competitive and pays competitively this is the norm. People are not working as many hours as were stated previously and are continuing to hire more people on to allow for more collaboration on projects and prevent people from needing to work those hours

Continue and follow through with plans for delivery process improvements. These are very important steps in the right direction that will lead to a great future for Bridgeline.

Don't dare ignore the true comments...RUN RUN RUN!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some good people. Soda, coffee, play pool, shoot nerf guns.

Cons

Everything else expect what I cited above. You think you are smart? We'll get in this company and you will find out. You must think twice before even trying this company.

Unfortunately no one can advice the management. Mindset people and lies lies lies lies.

Strong Product, Even Better People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bridgeline offers its employees an opportunity to grow professionally in what is an increasingly important space: enterprise web development. And, both conceptually and at its core, iAPPS is indeed a unique product that Bridgeline's delivery team leverages to build awesome websites and web stores for our customers.

Look, I've been at other companies where you're just a spoke on the proverbial wheel; Bridgeline is anything but that. While I cannot speak for every team, within my team, I've always felt empowered to thrive by offering actionable suggestions that, if good enough, are passed along and implemented. What you do matters to organizational success, and I think that's cool.

Now, the flip side to that empowerment is accountability. And in the last year, Bridgeline has (justifiably) transitioned from personnel that either couldn't deliver or left on their own accord because (I don't know?) they weren't game to handle the workload. Today, the jokers are out of the deck (and it appears some have come here to air grievances).

But if you want to grow, learn and develop, then this shouldn't be a problem -- in fact, the sky's the limit.

Cons

By its nature, iAPPS is versatile. And because of that, management is prone to looking for new ways to expand the product's scalability, within its current market and beyond. But, sometimes, these visions feel rushed, which puts pressure on employees. (To be fair, other instances have proved to be wildly successful, opening up huge opportunities -- see iAPPS DS.)

Despite how a few of these reviews read, there is nothing egregious about the environment or workload. That said, if you're afraid of work, this isn't the place for you. There is always another project to start, along with a few fire drills, but I find that's the case in most organizations.

At the executive level, the CEO is surrounded by smart people, all of whom the rest of the organization sincerely trusts. Continue to collaborate with those executives on how to refine our process (from sales and marketing to spending wisely, project management, and R&D). More importantly, there are a ton of talented people working at Bridgeline. Identify those individuals and retain them. Because even though iAPPS is a great product, you need the right people to position, sell, and deliver its potential.

Good Technical People + Unrealistic Sales + Mediocre Management = Frustration

Former Employee - Senior Web Software Developer in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Web Software Developer in Norcross, GA

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people. A vast majority of the tech employees in the Atlanta/Norcross office are a pleasure to work with and are competent or better at their jobs. Aside from the few I worked with remotely, I cannot speak to the quality of the people in any of the other locations. The culture at least at the Norcross office is casual and laid back.

Cons

Training: there is virtually no useful training; what I learned, I learned on the job the hard way; they are trying to change this, but it's not there yet. Compensation: decent; some people are definitely underpaid but that's probably true everywhere. Work-life balance: I struggled to keep my hours in the 42-45 hour range since there's constant pressure to work more and more (like 45-60) without any kind of extra compensation aside from a pat on the back and an even larger heap of additional work; this is a recipe for burn out. The product: IAPPS is a decent product that could become very good as it matures, but unfortunately sales folks tend to way oversell it as an instant out-of-the-box cure-all solution which it most definitely is not, not without serious customization, and this combination results in unrealistic timelines, abhorrent scopes of work, and dissatisfied employees and customers. Management: there is a mix of useful/detrimental people in management, but the quality of management almost doesn't matter since the work itself mainly consists of putting out the fires that are burning hottest on any given day. It felt like this philosophy came from the top down, since most of the people on the front lines alongside me were sincere hard workers, so I have to believe that the upper echelons of leadership need some housecleaning. Customers: I generally enjoyed working with the customers, but many are understandably dissatisfied so that makes it challenging.

Get to know IAPPS in reality not fantasy, what it can and cannot do, and act accordingly with common sense. Take better care of your front line technical people and managers on a day to day basis or the rapid turnover will likely continue.

When does it end?

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The platform is pretty decent and was designed by smart people who work really hard.

Cons

- The CEO knows nothing about iAPPS, WCM or technology for that matter so he is completely useless to the business, if not a hindrance. Think of it this way...his industry knowledge and the stock price are equally impressive.

- They purposely hold payment from vendors until services are scheduled to be discontinued.

- It takes about 8 weeks to be reimbursed on expense reports, so walk to your meeting if you want to make sure your own bills are paid on time.

- You will hear this phrase thrown around constantly..."If you love what you do, then you'll never work a day in your life". NOBODY with a family, friends or a life LOVES to work 14 hour days on failing, undeliverable projects with no benefit to their overall career. If it's not your own business that you're growing from the ground up, nobody is interested in the, "Rah Rah, Go Team!", its perfectly normal to work 70 hour weeks, garbage. Tell it to someone else you bunch of clowns.

Stop asking employees to write positive Glassdoor reviews as part of their on boarding packet. Its misleading (lying, really) to potential job seekers who are looking for a good fit.

Strong Product, Even Better People - JOKERS ARE STILL THERE

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really, the jokers are out of the deck. The product is solid, but if you say the company is great then why has the stock gone from a high of $1.44 to $.63 in less than a year?? Management did a great job covering the MASSIVE outage from back in March-April 2013 and then again in August 2013, but those clients are now leaving. Why has the company experienced MASSIVE turnover every 12 months - if you have been there for 3 yrs. you should know this and are likely next on the list (they are always looking for someone to blame).

Cons

List is tooooooo long and my fingers would fall off. Do a search on former employees in LinkedIn and ask them to share with you their thoughts. Your inbox will be filled with horror stories.

Discount the reviews prior to Jan '14

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Work/life balance
    -Great people who are truly passionate about their jobs
    -Company outings
    -Great product, support team
    -Strong customer base

Cons

-Managers shouldn't be micro managed and allowed to fulfill their duties

Don't micromanage

Don't work here!!!

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees make the company. The CEO needs to be replaced immediately!!

Cons

Get rid of the CEO and this company has a chance to succeed! He "thinks" he knows everything - which clearly he does not! This company is going through cash like water and will be upside down quickly if not already. The CEO makes decisions based personally and not what would benefit the company. The Board of Directors are hand picked by the CEO and are in his pocket, but they need to wake up and kick him to the curb!

The CFO and the SVP of Delivery should have more control on the direction of the company. Without these two the company will FAIL!!

Sounds like a great place to work before you work there.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Norcross, GA

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Shrug shoulders.Just can't think of any.

Cons

everything. Management is horrible. In IT you're always on call and the systems go down constantly. Always trying to fight fires.

Get rid of the loud mouthed CEO. He has no people skills. He's very rude

Fast paced but they have issues to work out

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can learn a lot here very quickly if you can keep up. They can be a benefit to your career.

Cons

The pace never ceases and it can get very tiresome very quickly. Burnout seemed to be a huge problem there. Time management towards projects was insane and you may up working on 5-6 projects in a single day for weeks at a time. So the way resources are managed really affects employee morale and performance. Unless you work 10-12 hours a day then they expect a lot of things that are impossible.

Divide up resources more efficiently without burning out people.

Bridgeline Digital Photos