Bridgeline Digital

Bridgeline Digital Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Bridgeline Digital Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas L. Massie

Thomas L. Massie

Pros:
  • "Exciting, fast paced team environment"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great work environment with all the opportunities to shine"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be tough - though they made huge strides in helping to improve this with better flexibility"
    in 3 reviews
  • "this company is growing fast so you can't be dependent on someone telling you what to do everyday"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Learn, grow, and contribute to a fast paced, ever changing, tech environment!

Burlington, MA

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time for less than a year

ProsDynamic group of driven individuals who seemingly want the best for their Customers. Sales, R&D, iAPPS Support Group (iSG); Marketing; Finance; and Legal work together to create a symbiotic relationship that helps drive business.

ConsAdmittedly, there has been turnover which can affect morale, but most were underperformers. I would take most if not all the reviews post Jan 2014 with a grain of salt.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecute.

True Smoke and Mirrors

Vice President of Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time for more than a year

ProsBeer and Water in the frig. Some fun people in the field offices.
iAPPS is a solid WCM and eCommerce platform.
The CTO is very smart

ConsPresident's Club was cancelled this year. This company's biggest weakness is the CEO. Turnover is hgh, revenues and morale are low. In October the sales team was 20...today (April 2014) there are 7

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the CEO...Go Private...Get some real leadership

Terrible Management - Leave

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Burlington, MA

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Many departments seem to enjoy working within their teams
-Free coffee and sodas
-Convenient location

Cons-Sales team structures deals that seem great up front but in the end are not able to deliverable as promised.
-Lack of roadmap to attain company vision
-CEO is arrogant and abusive
-Terrible lead generation
-Below average pay (I received a 40% raise when I left)
-No 401K match

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the CEO, he is the reason many talented individuals leave. His management style is demeaning and abusive. He does not respect the other executives or the managers that face customers on a daily basis. I have witnessed customers and employees leave Bridgeline due to his arrogance.

Strong product, great people

Vice President Business Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time for less than a year

Pros- They offer extensive training on the product and sales so you feel confident & knowledgable as a sales person; you aren't just pushed onto the phone. The team actually likes and cares about each other...they hangout outside of work and have a good time.

- Incredibly intelligent leadership.

- You can also feel confident bringing "tech" guys into a "sales" meeting because everyone is there for one thing: to make the clients happy. The sales process is very transparent to individuals before they come on board and to clients so they know what to expect and BL can exceed those expectations.

ConsI'm not sure this is a con but it is for some people... this is not an environment for the 8:30-5 crew. People work hard for sure but there is a lot of opportunity for growth for those who have the time to commit to success.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay willing and interested in listening to the team. It goes a long way.

It's going down, I'm yelling timber...

Technical Team (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time for more than a year

ProsiAPPS could actually be a solid product if there was some focus on making the existing platform great.

The CTO is a great guy and very smart, but none of us can figure out why he stays.

ConsThe turnover rate is astronomical company wide! You’ll notice the numerous positive reviews are typically all posted around the same date and have the world's corniest titles, as it is requested of employees by the CEO. The work environment here is absolutely awful and only gets worse as the company continues to struggle. To say we are overworked is an understatement. Taking customer calls at all hours because customer sites are down all the time is the norm and the expectation. Because the sales team is pushed to close any deal they can as revenue is so incredibly low, many projects aren’t scoped out properly and then delivery is expected to make miracles, not sleep and abandon their families.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecution is a great strategy for the management team, if they could manage to get out of their own way. The board really should send the CEO to Mars and put someone in charge who has experience growing a software company if the focus is going to be on iAPPS sales. Until then, the company will continue to struggle. Yahoo! Finance message boards paint a pretty accurate picture.

Fast-paced, but there is always plenty to do and certainly never boring

Account Manager (Current Employee)
San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time for less than a year

ProsThe software is amazing, the training is robust, and client relations are the top priority

ConsRecent acquisitions make assimilation into the company a bit choppy, but smoother days appear ahead

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate culture for field offices to be as engaging and upbeat as corporate office

Great Experience with Bridgeline

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Norcross, GA

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment, Awesome team work and collaboration

ConsAt the time, I have none to list

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has done a great job accessing the needs of the market and addressing the nees of their client base

The little company that can't...

"VP" of Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time for less than a year

ProsPromising product.
When done correctly, delivery team can make some great sites when they aren't being over utilized.

ConsThe company seems to change direction more than a drunk doing a dizzy bat race. Between growth by acquisition and constant refocusing of the product, the company culture is fragmented and the solution is half-baked.

Instead of having a consistent road map for the software, it always seems to be "what's the next thing that can add to the top line". Unfortunately this means that the core products are left to wither on the vine, which allows competitors to overtake functionality, while delivery has their hands tied to half-finished products.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop chasing the next shiny promise like a kid with ADD. Create a true roadmap for the next few releases, based on customer feedback and market demand.

The constant focus on revenue is prohibitive to the growth opportunities of the company. Go private or take a loss for a quarter to right the ship. The last thing the company needs is more sales people.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I would NEVER recommend working for this company

Director of Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time for more than a year

ProsThe product has potential to be amazing.

ConsNo sense of organization: Sales and delivery work against each other by design of the brilliant CEO. No one has any idea how to set expectations for themselves because the company has no defined goals for itself. (Dial for Dollars is NOT a plan when you have noone supporting you from marketing and no sales manager available to reach out to with questions) There is little to no in depth training on the product, internal processes, etc. When you do reach out for technical help....all you get is pushback OR the person that you reach out to "passes the buck". This is true for customer support as well. For a company that considers themselves to be "customer first" Bridgeline does a HORRIBLE job of addressing customer concerns.
In the past 12 months Bridgeline has lost the Head of Sales, Head of Marketing, Many in Finance, and over half of sales because they do not take care of their employees AND the head of the companie Thomas Massie is a dictator who makes decisions based on his own views (which are wrong nearly all of the time).
Bridgeline doesn't pay expense reports on time. Their policy is to wait until they receive complaints from employees and people they owe money to as a whole before they pay them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvising management would do no good. Noone has a backbone to stand up to Massie. If I had the ability to buy the company, I would A.)Fire all of management and make Thomas Massie a silent partner (if I'd even still involve him at all). and B.) Set a strong example for what "customer first truly means.

Bait and switch

Biz Dev (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay is good, but it comes with a price. They do a good job of getting you leads.

ConsThe CEO is a total dictator, really hard to even describe it. If you don't look the part, dress the part and act the part might as well quit the first day. CEO needs to recognize he is not hiring ex military brass, he needs millennials who have an open mind forward thinking. Without that the stock will hover around $1 and no hopes of selling....which the CEO has been trying to do for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times, this isn't a blue blood country club

Worked for Bridgeline Digital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bridgeline Digital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bridgeline Digital CEO Thomas L. Massie. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by Bridgeline Digital employees.