Bridgepoint Education

Bridgepoint Education Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark

Andrew S. Clark

Pros
  • Good benefits, decent wage for the area, San Diego has a higher cost of living(in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, awesome co-workers, and willing to help(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management just keeps getting richer on the backs of those below them(in 6 reviews)

• Managers and Directors are having extramarital affairs, lots of favoritism-so those people get better treatment(in 3 reviews)

Slowly maturing in the last couple of years.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsHas a decent budget to work with enterprise solutions.
    Lots of great problems to solve.

ConsToo many engineering teams with different goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the silos!!!
    Upper management communication seems to be lacking.

Not as good since the company went public (from what I hear)

Software Developer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWe get a good balance of assignments to achieve a 40-hour work week and our hours are flexible. We have good teamwork and collaboration within the (BTS) department and the enterprise. We have fun company, department, and team events. We get technical training opportunities, the location and facilities are great, and the benefits are good.

ConsThere is a constant looming threat of reorganization (i.e., layoffs), usually every three months. We also get less and less perks each quarter, including losing our training budgets.

Advice to Senior ManagementMultiple layoffs in one year wasn't good for morale.

Poor, unprofessional first-line management and little regard for employees.

Student Services (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPretty good pay, and OK benefits.
    Good work-life balance.
    Free tuition benefit.

ConsManagement is often more concerned with their own advancement (Empire Building).
    Employees are NOT treated well (Repeated mass layoffs, favoritism by managers and directors is rampant).
    Management is often not held accountable outside of hitting "numbers".
    The wrong people are promoted up into the ranks of middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a major shake-up in the management ranks, and yes, starting with the CEO. Look back at the last six years and note the company's performance, the numerous (and quite avoidable) lawsuits, failed "Best-in-Class" initiatives (laying off the "bottom 10%" of all employees each year), and near disastrous failure to achieve WASC accreditation on the first attempt, and most recently, the company missing a required 10K filing and having to re-state several years of earnings statements. Management is hired by the shareholders to successfully manage the enterprise. This requires that the right people be selected and put in place. To a significant degree, I don't think that this has happened at Bridgepoint Education.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Admission Counselor

Admission (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Bennies, Gym access, cafeteria, great people to work with. Great medical and dental

ConsIt's Game of Thrones here - the good guys and the bad guys get killed off eventually. Your life is numbered with this company from the moment you walk in the door. It doesn't matter if you were on top of university production that bad month counts. Oh and don't plan on taking more than 1 week of vacation off as a matter of fact don't take a vacation at all because this is a cut throat culture. Your work will be handed to someone else. Your work will diminish and you if you don't meet minimum expectations you will have a write up and or fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it's not my direct supervisors because they are fired and hired almost as much as us in the trenches but to those higher up- just ask yourselves some questions- does hiring and firing half of San Diego really work for you guys?
    Don't you think high attrition rates diminish the quality experience to our students as well as waste company resources and time?
    example-if you are continually firing and laying off people you are left with a young (promising?) staff that has to run around trying to figure out what they are doing- they ask the manager that doesn't have time to explain. They go see us who are performing well. We are stuck training our fellow man which takes us away from our production. Mistakes are made and things eventually work themselves out but not after days or weeks have gone by. They slip up a bit and production may go down to people trying to lend a helping hand -now the new staff isn't so promising and the current staff has lost it's luster. You then replace them with some new people that you hire. I overheard a director telling a manager that they will be firing a bunch of people that shouldn't be fired one late night when I was working my tail off.

I had 2 friends that were moved up to from core (require AT LEAST 4 students a month with crappy leads) to home grown position (required AT LEAST 8 student enrollments a month with better leads) because they were killing it working core. "Why would anyone want to take on more responsibility while getting paid the same thing" we cried? Oh ya, because you painted a picture of just a possibility they would get paid more. "It sounds like it makes sense but we don't trust you" a bunch of us thought. You then fired my friends because their production was too low for a home grown position. - You dummy- why didn't you just move them back down since you didn't give them a raise. Oh that's right you can't move them down a position for God only knows why?

Finding staff that has worked in admissions for more than 3 years is pretty rare. Keep these guys!!!
    My advice is chill out on your staff that has been through thick and thin with you. If your admissions staff has been there for more than 3 years and they have a bad month or two. Chill out on them! They have obviously shown commitment to the University. Get to the root of the problem- is it our CRM that is trouble, is it the manager that is trouble, resources?
    Sure you can hire 5 people to take his or her place but then they have to train 3 months, learn a ton of new things, make mistakes all over again- you already paid the first person to make these mistakes , learn and train, just have some patience and confidence they will get back on the horse.

Anyways - I'm done here Good Luck!

Excellent Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWas able to work on new technologies and add immediate value due to short implementation cycles. Work/Life balance was very good and the company had a good training budget. I was able to obtain multiple certifications and my MBA while employed at the company.

ConsPolitics are horrible. Orgs do not talk to each other and have their own agenda. Initiatives get squashed after months of work due to some director changing their mind about the project.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management needs to stop trying to control first level management. Set direction but don't tell them how to get it done. Provide a positive outcome and trust subordinates will figure it out how to accomplish it on their own.

A shady un-ethical company that treats their employees poorly.

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThey motivate their employees using fear tactics.

ConsLow moral. Horrible HR practices. Employee churn and burn mill.

Advice to Senior Managementrespect your employees and motivate them with incentives rather than fear.

100% sales job disguised as an advisor position. Very dysfunctional company.

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe ONLY benefit of working at Ashford University/Bridgepoint education was the people you meet and work with. You feel as if you are at war to save your job and you learn to make friends with others knowing that at any point in time they will fire you or your friends for little to no reason. It's only a matter of time it's not if, it's when.

ConsThey basically hire people knowing that they will either quit or they will lay them off for no apparently reason. There is no job stability here and management is done with a stick, the only carrot is you get to keep your job. There is no Reward for doing a good job or exceeding expectations other than keeping your job. This is 100% a sales job where you will be ground down to get numbers yet there is no additional compensation no matter how well you do. I was hired in a group of 50 people in one hiring session and within six months there were three of us left. There are a dozen reasons why this is the case but for the most part it is just a miserable place to work. If you are thinking about working for this company consider it a short-term opportunity as they are completely schizophrenic in they're hiring processes and they are basically a sinking ship as they cannot compete with the real colleges out there for now offering online educations. Don't let the starting pay fool you it is not worth it you will be miserable and depressed looking for new job within three months guaranteed... I was in your shoes looking at these posts 10 months ago and wish I took the more seriously. Do not work for this company if you cherish your sanity. I am now stuck looking for new job having wasted 10 months at Ashford University and after knowing what that place is all about I am embarrassed to put them on my resume.This company is based upon scamming people into educational programs which are very seldomly completed because they get NO HELP from over worked teachers and burdened the students with Thousands of dollars in debt. The upper management just keeps getting richer on the backs of those below them.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is clueless, they have no idea what is really going on within the company and if they did I don't think they are capable of changing any of the problems which are systemic.

Phone sales nightmare

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) San Diego, TX

ProsThey pay you, team atmosphere is fun

ConsYou have to sell degrees to people that don't need them

Advice to Senior ManagementHand out leads more evenly

A great experience on company politics, adding 'spin' to your email replies and testing your patience.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsYour surrounding coworkers aren't blinded by the obstacles - they get it and can definitely empathize. You can get tuition reimbursement if electing to do your education through Bridgepoint products.

ConsThe lack of product ownership, planning/roadmapping and busy work really takes a toll. The amount of technical debt can be addressed but stakeholders don't push that effort as a top priority. It's a very reactionary environment, so take note of that. Real work and forward thinking approaches are overlooked for the 'ASAP' or 'shoot now ask questions later' strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate next year's roadmap. Get resources. Maintain resources. Rinse. Repeat.

Interesting work and great people, but incompetent upper management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPerks were pretty good - free coffee/tea, causal work environment, discounted tuition for employees and spouse. Really nice coworkers. Interesting work assignments.

ConsPriorities kept changing, It was always the flavor of the month, so it seemed like there were no long term strategy and planning, at least from the individual contributor level. In terms of promotions, it wasn't about whether you were a strong performer. There was a lot of politics and playing favorites, so that resulted in very incompetent people at very high levels of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more transparent about strategic plan and road map. If you don't trust your employees enough to share it with them, then you don't trust them to be able to carry you through difficult times.

Worked for Bridgepoint Education? Contribute to the Community!