Bridgepoint Education

Updated August 26, 2014

2.7

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark
Andrew S. Clark

Pros
  • Good benefits, decent wage for the area, San Diego has a higher cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, awesome co-workers, and willing to help (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management just keeps getting richer on the backs of those below them (in 6 reviews)

• Managers and Directors are having extramarital affairs, lots of favoritism-so those people get better treatment (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I love my work environment.

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management is always seeking out ways to create a work culture that exceeds the norm. The people I work with are great. There is hardly a dull moment.

Cons

The only con, which can be viewed as a pro, is that there is always change. Any company not adapting is sure to fall. So while adjusting can be annoying, it also helps the longevity of my employment!

Not a bad company to work for

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Had a good environment at first but went kind of downhill. I had great managers while I was there and I knew they were on my side.

Cons

Numbers are super important to the company overall and the organization is constantly adding people and then laying them off. No real analysis of what they need.

Get some people in that can project more accurately so that you can grow and not have so many turn-overs.

Enrollment counselor

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, salary, hours and coworkers

Cons

the pressure to sell, mangement

re-think how you are getting leads, make education more affordable, appreciate employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slowly maturing in the last couple of years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Has a decent budget to work with enterprise solutions.
    Lots of great problems to solve.

Cons

Too many engineering teams with different goals.

Break down the silos!!!
    Upper management communication seems to be lacking.

Not as good since the company went public (from what I hear)

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

We get a good balance of assignments to achieve a 40-hour work week and our hours are flexible. We have good teamwork and collaboration within the (BTS) department and the enterprise. We have fun company, department, and team events. We get technical training opportunities, the location and facilities are great, and the benefits are good.

Cons

There is a constant looming threat of reorganization (i.e., layoffs), usually every three months. We also get less and less perks each quarter, including losing our training budgets.

Multiple layoffs in one year wasn't good for morale.

Run for your life!

Former Employee - Rather Not Say  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Medical, dental, and vision are reasonable. If you work overtime, they pay you.

Cons

You are just a resource. You are not valued as a person. You have to deal with managers that are not trained on how to manage. You have to look a certain way to 'fit in'. People are stressed out and on edge all of the time. Very low morale and employees feel unappreciated. Layoffs are common. They even let people go that just had babies.

Don't say things in meetings like, "We are bringing sexy back." This is what one of your Vice President's said in a team meeting of 30 people. Do simple things like say, " Hello. Good Morning.", instead of walking right by your teams silently. When you have team events, don't say things outloud like, "I don't want to go and be around these people." Remember that your 'people' can hear you and watch everything you do. Get rid of the 'Love Contract'. It will stop the nonsense of so many people dating each other.

Poor, unprofessional first-line management and little regard for employees.

Former Employee - Student Services  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Services in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pretty good pay, and OK benefits.
    Good work-life balance.
    Free tuition benefit.

Cons

Management is often more concerned with their own advancement (Empire Building).
    Employees are NOT treated well (Repeated mass layoffs, favoritism by managers and directors is rampant).
    Management is often not held accountable outside of hitting "numbers".
    The wrong people are promoted up into the ranks of middle management.

Consider a major shake-up in the management ranks, and yes, starting with the CEO. Look back at the last six years and note the company's performance, the numerous (and quite avoidable) lawsuits, failed "Best-in-Class" initiatives (laying off the "bottom 10%" of all employees each year), and near disastrous failure to achieve WASC accreditation on the first attempt, and most recently, the company missing a required 10K filing and having to re-state several years of earnings statements. Management is hired by the shareholders to successfully manage the enterprise. This requires that the right people be selected and put in place. To a significant degree, I don't think that this has happened at Bridgepoint Education.

Admission Counselor

Former Employee - Admission
    Former Employee - Admission

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Great Bennies, Gym access, cafeteria, great people to work with. Great medical and dental

Cons

It's Game of Thrones here - the good guys and the bad guys get killed off eventually. Your life is numbered with this company from the moment you walk in the door. It doesn't matter if you were on top of university production that bad month counts. Oh and don't plan on taking more than 1 week of vacation off as a matter of fact don't take a vacation at all because this is a cut throat culture. Your work will be handed to someone else. Your work will diminish and you if you don't meet minimum expectations you will have a write up and or fired.

I know it's not my direct supervisors because they are fired and hired almost as much as us in the trenches but to those higher up- just ask yourselves some questions- does hiring and firing half of San Diego really work for you guys?
    Don't you think high attrition rates diminish the quality experience to our students as well as waste company resources and time?
    example-if you are continually firing and laying off people you are left with a young (promising?) staff that has to run around trying to figure out what they are doing- they ask the manager that doesn't have time to explain. They go see us who are performing well. We are stuck training our fellow man which takes us away from our production. Mistakes are made and things eventually work themselves out but not after days or weeks have gone by. They slip up a bit and production may go down to people trying to lend a helping hand -now the new staff isn't so promising and the current staff has lost it's luster. You then replace them with some new people that you hire. I overheard a director telling a manager that they will be firing a bunch of people that shouldn't be fired one late night when I was working my tail off.

I had 2 friends that were moved up to from core (require AT LEAST 4 students a month with crappy leads) to home grown position (required AT LEAST 8 student enrollments a month with better leads) because they were killing it working core. "Why would anyone want to take on more responsibility while getting paid the same thing" we cried? Oh ya, because you painted a picture of just a possibility they would get paid more. "It sounds like it makes sense but we don't trust you" a bunch of us thought. You then fired my friends because their production was too low for a home grown position. - You dummy- why didn't you just move them back down since you didn't give them a raise. Oh that's right you can't move them down a position for God only knows why?

Finding staff that has worked in admissions for more than 3 years is pretty rare. Keep these guys!!!
    My advice is chill out on your staff that has been through thick and thin with you. If your admissions staff has been there for more than 3 years and they have a bad month or two. Chill out on them! They have obviously shown commitment to the University. Get to the root of the problem- is it our CRM that is trouble, is it the manager that is trouble, resources?
    Sure you can hire 5 people to take his or her place but then they have to train 3 months, learn a ton of new things, make mistakes all over again- you already paid the first person to make these mistakes , learn and train, just have some patience and confidence they will get back on the horse.

Anyways - I'm done here Good Luck!

Excellent Learning Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Was able to work on new technologies and add immediate value due to short implementation cycles. Work/Life balance was very good and the company had a good training budget. I was able to obtain multiple certifications and my MBA while employed at the company.

Cons

Politics are horrible. Orgs do not talk to each other and have their own agenda. Initiatives get squashed after months of work due to some director changing their mind about the project.

Middle management needs to stop trying to control first level management. Set direction but don't tell them how to get it done. Provide a positive outcome and trust subordinates will figure it out how to accomplish it on their own.

A shady un-ethical company that treats their employees poorly.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They motivate their employees using fear tactics.

Cons

Low moral. Horrible HR practices. Employee churn and burn mill.

respect your employees and motivate them with incentives rather than fear.

Worked for Bridgepoint Education? Contribute to the Community!