Bridgepoint Education Reviews

Reset
2.4
Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark
Andrew S. Clark

Pros
  • The company has good benefits, a matching 401k, a gym and many other perks like great buildings and technology to work with (in 7 reviews)

• positive working environment, work life balance is positive (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are NOT treated well (Repeated mass layoffs, favoritism by managers and directors is rampant) (in 4 reviews)

• The upper management just keeps getting richer on the backs of those below them (in 6 reviews)

Great people but lack of courage and execution by management has led to demise

Current Employee - IT Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The mission is great and the people love the work they do and care about each other.

Cons

The last 3 years of the company has felt like you were on a large ship stranded in the ocean with no vision to return to land. This has led to a survival mentality while many passengers have been tossed overboard.

Advice to Management

Take risks don't stay content with your past success no when to step aside

Great mission...rocky execution...

Former Employee - Vice President in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission (ethical, online education with the brand of a ground campus) and really good people in many places...

Cons

"The troubles" around education saw leadership stick its head in the sand and hide...without removing/winnowing any of that "exec leadership" level...either because of a shrinking biz or because of performance issues. Many wounds self-inflicted.

Advice to Management

Do something to earn your keep...

IT Department

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Surrounded by awesome co-workers that made the place bearable. Cafeteria and fitness room on site.

Cons

Too top heavy Management is unqualified for the job. They don't seem to know what's going on. Too focused on processes and standardization that they lost sight of why the processes were in place to begin with. No real opportunities for growth or training. Easily stagnated in your job/role. Lack of innovation. Lack of transparency.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee retention. Little boosts of morale goes a long way.

Enrollment services advisor

Current Employee - Lead Enrollment Services Advisor in La Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Enrollment Services Advisor in La Mesa, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education (More than a year)

Pros

All benefits included, health care, tuition reimbursement, vacation, etc.

Cons

The job is demanding, and extremely pressured, limited flexibility in daily work schedule.

Student Inquiry Coordinator

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

Good Benefits, ability to work with a team, Set schedule, Good training, Coworkers and staff would really like to help you succeed.

Cons

Job is very redundant. There is little room for growth. Must be very very flexible to changes in the business. There should be more influence on your job.

Advice to Management

Make business needs and goals more transparent. Give the employees the power to help with and procedural changes.

Don't work here or for Ashford University; you will regret it.

Current Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ashford University is a terrific campus school in Clinton, Iowa---& the Online Division is a great choice for college students---great platform, great support, streamlined financial aid, etc.

Cons

The problem is---upper management doesn't care about any of our suggestions, comments, ideas for improvements to our processes, jobs, the student experience, etc. We recently completed a Top 100 Places to Work For Survey, to gauge how we feel about the company: 2/3 of all employees participated, & more than 400 pages of comments were generated...The overall response? To treat Admissions---Enrollment Services---as though we are on straight commission, even though that's no part of our compensation. Rocky Sheng spent 2 years developing a SCI Tool to show how our payscale proves our worth to the company or not! So the value of a lead is compared to our ability to work that lead & close it by the person becoming a student online...Problem is, Bridgepoint doesn't know how to filter leads---period! They have no idea what to do from a marketing standpoint to match up the demographic of a successful student to the demographic of the potential students we're trying ot reach---Hence, their media buys are awful---they like to throw ideas up against the wall to see what "sticks"! Our leads are generally dismal at best---really bright people, who make up a percentage of our overall online student body, do find us---but we get penalized for not being able to convert the truly unable people who will never have any desire, any interest, or ability, to complete a Bachelor's degree. It's really too bad; I & so many others really want to be successful & to help other students---but all our best ideas fall on deaf ears. The turnover rate in Admissions/Enrollment Services is more than 70%, every six months! Beware.

Advice to Management

Just stop & think, "What could make our employees HAPPY?" Try listening for once, instead of pretending that opportunities for advancement exist, etc. Quit the lateral promotions so that you don't have to raise someone's salary---Give new employees a chance to really shine!

8. Sales environment.

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. You work with really great people.

Cons

High turn over, call center/sales environment.

QA II

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some intelligent people who really wanted to make the core system better for the students.

Cons

Even though the architects were there to do a job, higher ups just vetoed every decision and did it their way instead. In result, the entire products department was cut. Management caused the loss of many one-in-a-million employees who could have taken the products far. Also, they do cuts at least once a year.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their job that you hired them to do.

Honorable Enough Mission, Awful Culture

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really smart people who genuinely care about what they do and the students they serve.

Cons

Level of favoritism is egregious and management is shockingly bad. Many people are promoted too quickly, which results in over confidence and disinclination to listen to feedback, plus lack of follow through on big picture initiatives. There is a real lack of regard for mid and lower level employees -- emphasis is on how lucky you are to be there, not on how much they appreciate quality work/workers.

Advice to Management

Recognize the value of smart, talented employees and ask them what they think, particularly if they have experience in the realms in which you're trying to make good decisions. Care more about quality and put the students first.

Sales in Telemarketing -completely numbers based

Former Employee - California in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - California in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because of the size of the company met some nice people.

Cons

More about the numbers than getting quality education

Advice to Management

Take the time to invest in the people you hired instead of treating them like rotating puppetheads. Follow through with the training you advertise which at least would give the puppets a chance.

RSS Feed </> Embed