Bridgepoint Education

Updated January 27, 2015
2.7

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark
Andrew S. Clark

Pros
  • Good benefits, decent wage for the area, San Diego has a higher cost of living (in 7 reviews)

• positive working environment, work life balance is positive (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many managers and directors (in 4 reviews)

• The upper management just keeps getting richer on the backs of those below them (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people.

Former Employee - Facilities in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Facilities in Denver, CO

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Grew too fast and couldn't get it's legs underneath them.

Hire quality, not quantity.

Would you tell your mother, wife, or sister to stay with a good looking rich guy that mentally abuses her 24/7?

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow employees. Nice building. Benefits.

Cons

They think they own you and you should have no life outside of work. Good luck trying to use your great benefits, won't get a dentist appointment approved- ever. Also, they micro-manage worse than the DEA in a meth house raid. You won't be able to take a number 2 in the restroom without being questioned where were you for 2 minutes. They give you the worst, beat-up leads that are over 5 years old and expect you to convert them or they will write you up for not meeting their core competencies. They get very intimidated if you question their unethical sales tactics and will fire you immediately if you say you believe they practice unethical sales tactics. I had a student that her husband was a marine and he was killed in the war so she wanted to take a break in between her class so I told her it was fine and my manager was listening to the call and wrote me up for not being able to overcome her objection of wanting to put off school. I looked at my manager and told her I have morals and karma will have its way with her. I had 11 different managers in 3 years and also 5 different directors. If you are a minority and love to brown nose - you will be promoted quickly if you drink the Kool-Aid like they tell you too. They will degrade you, ride you, and threaten your job every hour on the hour. I was making great money in a very tough job market in San Diego, CA and I would rather eat out of a trash can in the men's bathroom on the beach and sleep in prison in Tijuana, Mexico than put up with micro-managing, losers that would enroll anyone as long as they qualify for financial aid.

Better go to church every Sunday because you are in line for the incinerator in hell!

All jobs have honeymoon phase

Former Employee - Facilities Associate
    Former Employee - Facilities Associate

I worked at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

I enjoyed working here as I had friends and family that also worked at the company. I had a great opportunity to cross train in different positions.

Cons

when I cross trained I ended up doing the job of someone else, a position that was much higher paid than I was and I did the job better than her. When that person left the company, I did her job. When I was offered the position they were only going to give me a 5% raise which wasn't even in the neighborhood of what that position should have been paid.

Don't take advantage of a hard working employee to do the work of someone else if you aren't going to compensate them accordingly.

Must be Numbers Driven

Former Employee - Student Inquiry Coordinator in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Student Inquiry Coordinator in Poway, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They do a good job of attempting to keep employee morale up. Good pay for what you actually do. Hard to find a job... actually nearly impossible to find a job that pays this well for something that doesn't take a lot of brain power. Fun co-workers. Free food every now and again. Free access to on-site gym. Excellent health coverage.

Cons

Very monotonous. Numbers are essentially all that matter. Even though your job may be to "help" and qualify prospective students, the goal is to make the company money even if your gut says no... they will tell you yes in order to hit numbers and attempt to make a profit. That part can kind of mess with your head.

Try to see things from a subordinate perspective. Don't look at us as a means to an end in order to keep your cush salary.

No longer a good place to grow a career

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, and a culture that does not tend to work much overtime. Reasonable pay. Decent (though slightly expensive) cafeteria. If you need a degree, you can attend Ashford University for free (which will become worthless if they lose their WASC accreditation).

Cons

Bridgepoint has been going through rougher & rougher times lately. Over the past 2 years, there have been four rounds of layoffs, and the most recent one (11/2014) cut software teams to the absolute bone. Very waterfall-esque environment. Zero commitment to professional development... Even inexpensive ($130) webinars are denied. Communication problems between layers of management abound, and decisions are simply handed down... There is no discussion. Tech organization has a "mobile last, if at all" mentality, unlike the rest of the software industry that is going mobile first. Your "customer" as a developer is not considered to be the end user of the software you create... They think of their bosses as the "customer", leading to some extremely misguided decisions and processes. More focus on documentation and vanity metrics than on actual software quality.

If you want to stop hemorrhaging developers, you need to modernize your approach to software development, and remember that developers need to keep learning all the time (so you should consider investing in professional development). Treating employees like cogs in a machine will not keep too many high quality people satisfied.

Good people, poor strategic decisions and management

I worked at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

The people who work at Bridgepoint are great.

Cons

Poor strategic direction and decisions

If you want to meet exceptional people, then this is your company. However your professional self worth will suffer.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

The people, benefits and facilities

Cons

Lack of communication, fear of ruffling feathers in order to improve process flow, zero transparency and lack luster employee appreciation

Lead, don't manage. Life is bigger than BPI.

Titanic with music band and all.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good hardworking employees who enjoy teamwork.

Cons

Andrew Clark only cares about himself and not the employees
    Benefit plans are substandard.

Adjust your staff numbers accordingly sooner rather than bit by bit. You are slowly killing your staff's loyalty because of the fear of rolling heads!

Best Professional Career Crash Course

Former Employee - Learning and Development in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Learning and Development in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has good benefits, a matching 401k, a gym and many other perks like great buildings and technology to work with. In this company you can enter as a student fresh out of college , in turn gaining the most fantastic professional career training experience. If you have the drive, you will quickly move up rank in the company finding fantastic professional development opportunities. I started out entry level making hardly $30,000 but 7 years later I was making nearly $70,000. Along the way I met so many wonderful people. Seriously, the talent pool in this company is unreal and many of the people there are like minded young professionals. It is a high stress and high stakes job blended with the environment that young professionals can create that is fun. I am thankful for my time here and the people I met. As these people forever helped to shape me as a professional. I now feel like I can handle any situation that is thrown my way in my new career because at Bridgepoint changes and trouble shooting are part of the job. To sum it up-Bridgepoint is like professional bootcamp.

Cons

The con is the changes that always are happening but it also keeps it a dynamic environment. Talent people get burned out here because of the rapid work pace and the constant changes in process. It can be hard to watch talent people leave but that happens at every company.

Of the 5 managers I had here 4 were fantastic. Keep up the great work managers I know what a hard job it is!

Top Heavy

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

Work with extremely smart, motivated developers.

Cons

Too many managers and directors.

Bridgepoint Education Photos