www.bridgestone-firestone.com

Updated January 25, 2015
2.8

Bridgestone Americas President and CEO Gary A. Garfield
Gary A. Garfield

Pros
  • Opportunities for advancement are abundant and management treats employees well at the corporate level (in 3 reviews)

• People you work with as peers and good people are in the business (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours usually 10 to 12 per day 6 days a week (in 4 reviews)

• Their upper management is mostly lawyers, so that leads to sometimes painful focus on things like terms and conditions of getting things done (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

I have been working at Bridgestone Americas

Pros

job promotions
    job satisfaction
    collaboration
    long tenured teammates in leadership positions
    company vision
    company matching 401k

Cons

benefits could be better
    pay could be weekly instead of bi weekly

Paid well, but lacking in opportunity

Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bridgestone Americas

Pros

Good pay. Long breaks with other employees.

Cons

Bridgestone has a very masculine and fierce environment.

Stop hiring morons to run your stores.

Bridgestone Americas

I worked at Bridgestone Americas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company with decent benefits, adequate pay, and room for advancement.

Cons

Large company with many levels of management, little regard for employees

High stress low pay!

Former Employee - Service Manager
    Former Employee - Service Manager

I worked at Bridgestone Americas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company loves to send out corporate swag. Corporate events are fun to attend, heavy on booze if that's your thing.

Cons

This was not the right match for me. To get me onboard they promised me the moon! When brought to the attention of the upper management that I wasn't being paid what I was told I was asked if I had my compensation agreement in writing. This was my first job out of college and I didn't think to have that put in writing.

This is an incredibly high stress job the schedule is unpredictable. At times I would be required to work 70+ hr weeks albeit infrequent.

The culture is very masogynistic and I found it very difficult to assimilate mostly because I really didn't want to.

I think the mid level management is very unprofessional. It seems like the job of mid management is to keep everything quiet and as long as that is the case no one asks questions.

Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bridgestone Americas

Pros

Very good benefits. Room for advancement if you so choose.

Cons

The only thing that keeps me from giving the company a 5 star review is the work life balance. Hard to work some where 60-70 hours and have any kind of life.

There's good and there's bad

Current Employee - IT Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Bridgestone Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall good company with decent benefits and excellent "profit" based bonus program. Top management is first rate and seem to have both vision and ability to make that vision reality.

Cons

Mid management...CSO, CIO, CFO level...seem to depend more on external consultants and with frequent revolving door, the "vision" changes every 3 or 4 years. IT organization seems to have a hard time realizing it's own potential and communications, despite efforts to improve and be more transparent, seems to be worse now than ever. Recent re-org efforts seemed to turn into a house clearing despite communication to the contrary so the credibility of current management is not very high. Efforts to attain a "Premiere Place to Work" designation seem to have become a platform to drive management objectives and vision.

Integrity at the top is a great thing, but if the overall methodology of implementing change creates an atmosphere of distrust and reflects a dependency on outside resources to provide basic managerial guidance, then that management is both ineffective and paralyzing. However, change has been all too frequent. It's time to hold fast to a direction and fulfill a vision that everyone can believe in.

Like tires, there is more to the organization than people realize

Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Bridgestone Americas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1 - Company leaders genuinely trying to make positive changes for future growth
    2 - Very collaborative environment
    3 - Renewed focus on the BOSS and sustainability

Cons

1 - Too much unorganized change occurring throughout the company at one time. Apparently we want to fix every problem now which is unrealistic.
    2 - Too internally focused in some areas still. Sorry manufacturing but you need to think like a business owner rather than only about one part of the entire business model.

1 - broaden who you tap for promotions, opportunities, projects and the like. There is a lot of talent in the organization is that being overlooked for opportunities to impact the business.
    2-Narrow down the number of projects going on across the company. Can we really do everything at the time with the same resources being called to help

Use them for a year or two if you are desperate for a job, then dump them before they dump you

Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Bridgestone Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of entry level opportunities, since management is always looking for a cheaper way to replace more experienced and more expensive tenured employees. They love and are enamored with resumes and interviews that claim responsibility for improvable achievements at other places over the demonstrable achievements of existing employees, so if you're one of those people that can sell themselves as walking on water, but know you have no idea what to do once you get there, you'll find lots of juicy opportunities to exploit at this place. Don't worry, the interviewers seldom understand what you're talking about anyway (The CEO was a career lawyer, the CIO a career accountant, and so-on). Just claim full responsibility for things your subordinates actually did at former employers (even if they happened before you became their boss), and by the time they figure out you're clueless you'll be moving on to your next opportunity, or your boss will be replaced and no one will know why you were hired to begin with.

Cons

This company makes and sells commodity products (mainly tires), and that said, there are DAMN few exciting innovations that generate significant new revenue any more. In fact, this company has never been able to surpass Goodyear or Michelin in market position in the US, and it looks like they never will. This makes the company aggressively look for margin on the cost side of the equation. This has made the company erode into a cheap, and I mean DIRT CHEAP company. EVERYTHING is cost-driven, from the software they buy down to the flimsy chairs and crappy tiny cubicles they cram you into, and not to mention the eroding salaries and benefits. The company regularly brings in consultants to create fancy new ways of eliminating those with tenure and benefits and replacing them with cheaper fresh college grads or off-shore replacement workers. Although company meetings stress participation and communication, your suggestions will NEVER result in anything more than lip service, and such meetings are far more geared toward the C-level executives using your feedback to learn ways to better manipulate you. Be prepared to move on shortly after settling in for this reason. The company also loves to play the "we are relocating" game every 3-5 years in order to get tax breaks for their residency (and are completely willing to move and refresh the entire staff if necessary every time they threaten it), so combined with the hiring/firing philosophy this is a place you'll need to look over your shoulder every month to see if you'll have a job next pay period regardless of your performance.

This management does not take advice unless given by a consultant or lawyer charging more than $250 an hour. I suspect management there has a psychological blindness to this entire section, so what's the point in lending advice?

It is not so friendly to minority

I worked at Bridgestone Americas

Pros

Some of the teammate are nice to work with by assisting you to get your work done.

Cons

You can only advance in the company when you know somebody at the top.

There are good teammate who want to contribute to the company but are not given the chance because of bad manager

Selling large and giant earthmover tires to dealers and NA customers in CA and HI.

I worked at Bridgestone Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job offers excellent salary and sales commissions. Sales tools including state-of-art software are also provided.

Cons

Territory is large so overnight weekly travel is a must. Time demands at night are required for activity updates.

After 15 years Bridgestone decided to make what they thought were necessary changes to improve overall sales. The changes in fact did not improve sales including OTR but rather created a litany of reporting tools such as "Salesforce" and other unnecessary information that only became a burden to those of us in sales. Sales numbers actually dropped but new management didn't seem to be concerned.

Bridgestone Americas Photos