Bridgewater State University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Staff Assistant

I have been working at Bridgewater State University full-time

ProsGood Culture and supportive for those with families. Leadership is top shelf

ConsUnion based. Lots of red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

I worked as a graduate assistant: the people were great, wasn't my dream job.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgewater State University part-time for less than a year

ProsThe people.
The campus.
All you can eat at Tilly.
Good wifi network.
Building interiors.

ConsParking could be difficult.
Limited places to grab decent coffee.
Tough doors to open in science building.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet smarter smart doors in science building.

Lots of time off and flexability

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
Bridgewater, MA

I have been working at Bridgewater State University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou start at 4 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick time, 11 holidays, 3 personal days. Other than the personal days none of it is use or lose.

Only work 37.5 hrs a week

Flexible schedule if you need to come in late or leave early you can shift your work day without any issues

ConsPay. It isn't even enough to live in the surrounding community and is fare below the area's average for similar positions

The majority of the current upper management has never worked anywhere else. This has lead to stagnation in the department and a general lack of knowledge on how anything is done outside the organization

The CIO does not value his employees this has lead to very high turn over in the last couple of year.

The pay being offered to new employees is so low that they are unable to attract skill. This has lead to people without the required skills being hired and departments failing.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people and pay then what they are worth. You get what you pay for. Also it should be a requirement to have experience outside the organization to move into a director or above position.

I worked at Bridgewater State University for 3 years

Facilities (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgewater State University part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible scheduling and a guaranteed raise every year. The position also had diverse tasks that attempted to keep workers busy.

ConsUpper Management bullied middle management and corruption was wide spread with people cheating time sheets and doing absolutely nothing on the job. No compensation/promotions based on merit or hard work. Advancement is based on knowing the right people.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate people based on merit and stop wasting taxpayer money by forging timesheets. Help your employees grow by helping them instead of criticizing them left and right.

Don't Go to Bridgewater as a Worker Bee

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgewater State University as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat campus location, nice atmosphere. Friendly faculty and most staff.

ConsLittle direction on how to do assigned jobs. Blame shifting when something goes wrong

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees with the respect shown to educators at the campus

Great Work Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgewater State University part-time for more than 3 years

ProsEveryone was extremely helpful, and taught me skill sets outside my job description to prepare me for the job I wanted in the future.

ConsWhile I was there, the upper management was having issues with the workers. There was miscommunication and a power struggle. From what I've heard, whatever issues they had have been solved.

Great benefits, hard to move up if you don't know people

Bridgewater, MA

I have been working at Bridgewater State University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's a state union job. That means as long as Massachusetts is doing well you'll get COLA raises pretty much every year. And plenty of benefits. Pay is pretty good to start but goes up slow. Pressure of the job is low; not too deadline driven.

ConsA lot of nepotism and cronyism (sic), at least in the current administration. Lots of coworkers who are just working out the string and don't care about their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to reward hard work, the current union-based raises for all do not encourage workers to go the extra mile.

Competent staff and decent students.

Visiting Lecturer (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgewater State University part-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly, competent staff and decent, motivated students.

ConsLike most adjuncts, I am paid very little to teach.

Adjunct teaching is a tough career period, but BSC is a good place to do it.

Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bridgewater State University

ProsFriendly, easy-going environment. Students are both polite and interested in learning. Colleagues are very friendly and supportive. Bridgewater is a lovely college town.

ConsBSC is suffering from the same pressures as the rest of higher education. Low salaries and no benefits for adjunct teachers is standard for the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not neglect the humanities. BSC is good in this regard, but the temptation is very real at every school.

I love BSC

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgewater State University

ProsBridgewater State College is a great place to work. There is a great sense of community and pride. There are many many different departments throughout the campus so there is a lot of room for growth.

ConsBSC is obviously a state college. Because of this there are more rule, regulations and guidelines than at a private school. With that being said, it is a great environment to work and it is fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice to management would be to offer a little bit more incentive for a job well done; it's nice to know your work matters

Worked for Bridgewater State University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bridgewater State University reviews and ratings. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Bridgewater State University employees.