Bridgewell

Updated November 7, 2014
3.5

CEO

Great place to work

I have been working at Bridgewell

Pros

Most co-workers are down to earth. Great flexability when your relief able to pick the hours available on shift board. This job does not have breaks but there is sometimes a consider amount of down time. In most Residential home you become part of family. If you apply yourself you have a chance of advancing your career if you have the credentials. Bonus referals are good to have in a company.

Cons

Dealing with human services I notice the pay rate are low. This is not fast food or walmart to be responsible for a human being the pay rate should be considered at least 15 an hour for DSP. Most time when a staff is a no show you can get stuck pulling there shift. Oncall director are really good at finding some one to work quick. If your med certified sometimes you get ask to do meds in a local area, which becomes annoying.

I think to make this company better for staff as in DSP or APD, I think they should consider us for a Program Director Position. Say out of group of 10 DSP who want advancement have them do a skills test. Which ever DSP did the best or seemed more qualified gets the position as an APD or PD. Just having an oppurtunity is a great thing in a work place.

Bridgewell, Diversified services for the disabled population

Current Employee - Direct Care Staff in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Direct Care Staff in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Bridgewell part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A wide range of services means that this company considers more in determining what is right for the individual's that it serves.

Cons

The pay is a bit sub-par. I think these fields should be paying more educated people, but even with a little more pay, it will still not be enough to satisfy an educated, money making ego. And tension builds.

provide a bonus after several thousands of hours of service, on a pay scale based on education. All higher education relative to health and human services should be worth the most, and all other higher education credits should be worth some as well. Experience alone is great, but education rules in a game where prognosis must be higher. I think the entire human services salary reserve should go towards this bonus. Educated people can leave if they need the money, so they should be able to leave and take a portion of their bonus at that point.

After this period of service, people may or may not want to continue. That is fine. people should diversify their careers, and should be absolute certain that they are not treating the human beings they serve as sources of revenue. Passion may bring people back.

Tax benefits should be lobbied for for anyone who pursues this field after such a number of total hours of work is achieved.

Nice company to work for

Former Employee - Case Worker in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Case Worker in Lynn, MA

I worked at Bridgewell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training programs, some flexibility with schedules

Cons

Pay rather low compared to similar companies

Learning Experience

Former Employee - DSP in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - DSP in Lynn, MA

I worked at Bridgewell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning and helping the clients

Cons

Dangerous if you're working at a high risk behavior home, No lunch breaks, Management was lazy and Pd on call never come relieve worker if there's a call out or no show even thought that's part of there job. pay rate is underpaid for the required job.

Transportation Driver

I worked at Bridgewell

Pros

- easy
    - friendly environment

Cons

- pay
    - same thing everyday

Positive overall, but at times frustrating

Former Employee - Case Manager in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Lynn, MA

I worked at Bridgewell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The vast majority of the people I worked with were fun and upbeat, had lots of creative ideas to share, and were helpful when it came to questions, difficult situations, and just generally needing an extra hand.

Cons

Working with clients can be stressful at times (but of course rewarding in the end). It's often difficult to mentally balance long times of monotony with periods of intense emotional or physical labor. There didn't seem to be any cohesion between different job sites, and wasn't also resources for gaining more training in areas that were basic to the job (eg: First Aid, OSHA). Sometimes very isolating.

It would have been nice to create more opportunities to share best practices with other Day Habilitation workers. Trainings or information could have been provided on creating dynamic schedules in the classroom, stress reduction, or workplace conflict management.