Briggs Equipment Reviews

Mike Winemiller

1. Great Culture!

Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Briggs Equipment (more than a year)

Pros

People, people, people! This organization is on the move and genuinely cares. Change and growth doesn't happen overnight but you can felt the momentum and the positive attitude is contagious

Cons

Like all organizations there is an opportunity to improve internal processes however the important thing is the leaders are open to feedback to make it happen

Continue to invest in people and look for opportunities to improve processes. We can already see and feel the difference positive change can make

2. Service Dispatcher

I worked at Briggs Equipment

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the customers and employees. Great place to work.

Cons

If you are not use to working in a fast paced environment, do not work here.

I enjoyed my time there.

3. Outside Equipment Sales

I worked at Briggs Equipment

Pros

The insurance benefits are appropriate for a company this size, but waiting 90 days for them is longer than many companies this size, especially considering that they are self-insured through the company owner - Sammons Corp's insurance arm. Insurance premiums and deductibles are average.
    ESOP program is nice IF you can last the minimum of 3 years to be vested. Rule: don't answer your phone after you've been there 2 years, 11 months. I'm only half joking.
    Most of fellow workers are good people.
    Average Paid Time Off policies.
    Potential high five figure+ income possible with best territories.
    Company laptop and cell phone provided.
    Quarterly sales meetings are usually in a nice location, and spouses are welcomed.

Cons

Someone mentioned available 401K. Certainly not available to the sales force - the ESOP is pushed as a better alternative, but again: it takes at least 3 years to be vested to own a penny of it. This saves the company from having to do a 401K match at all, and saves them more if you leave in that first 3 years since the ESOP is then gone forever.

Kind of like gambling in Las Vegas - the house always wins!

New Yale sales is HEAVILY emphasized to maintain their status as the largest Yale dealer, and profit margins are already traditionally paper thin in this industry, and even thinner to maintain their #1 status, since unit quantity - not profit margin that your commissions are based on - is emphasized.

It literally takes 5 - 6 months to be paid commissions for selling new Yale equipment ordered from the factory - which is about 98% of the units sold. If you quit or are terminated during that waiting period, kiss your commissions bye-bye, no matter how hard or long you worked to land the sales.

Expect 50 - 60 hour weeks to gross around $50K/ - $60Kyear with base pay and commissions combined.

A rare few approach $100K, due to premium clients plus premium territories, producing quantity bonuses from that combination. Expect minimum of 60 hour weeks for that income level.

Unfortunately, favoritism by management for allocating the best customers and territories is rampant. Regardless of hours put in, the average equipment sales person won't have those client/territory advantages. They simply don't exist. So, turnover rate is high in both sales and rentals in the field positions in many offices.

More and more turnover is being seen in the district and regional management levels also. Most assume it's because they have to deal with increasingly poor moral and turnover, and errant leadership.

You will have to use your personal vehicle for outside equipment sales. A mileage rate is paid, but unfortunately it's below the IRS standard rate. Overall, you'll probably end paying your own gas and maintenance and repairs out of pocket (Rental sales people, and management, get a company vehicle, gas card and maintenance).

Briggs boasts it is voted one of the best for management/leasdership positions. Bonuses are definitely weighted in their favor, so I can believe that. Anyone below that, is - as someone else worded it - "cannon fodder". At least, if they're field sales or field technicians.

At times, it honestly feels like the company is still living in the '70's.

Address the Con's above. There has to be a few major underlying problems for it.

Best job of my career!

I have been working at Briggs Equipment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere complete with leadership who genuinely cares about your development. Enormous opportunity for growth for those who are passionate about their career and what they do. Premier benefits rivaling any company in any industry. The only company I've ever worked for that lives by their core values.

Cons

Vacation policy is in desperate need of an update as the length of time between when you are awarded more vacation is far too long.

6. The in's & Out's.

I have been working at Briggs Equipment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong backing administratively & financially. Great Locations.

Cons

Management (all levels) needs to see how all department's are being run. Visit more often. Not all employees are not not on the SAME playing field. Salesman need to visit, talk with those who they work with not just at Branch level. Why are not ALL employees in on the decision making process or kept informed with decisions process.

Workload, internet usage, lollygagging, employee attendance & personal usage of Company property.

7. Briggs Culture

Former Employee - Service Manager
    Former Employee - Service Manager

I worked at Briggs Equipment

Pros

The Culture here at Briggs Equipment is second to none, we are all family and employee owners of a great company.

Cons

none I feel extremely lucky and happy to be part of company that promotes and nourishes our core culture

8. Great place to work!!!

I have been working at Briggs Equipment

Pros

Their benefits and retirement are unmatchable compared to other businesses. Great managment striving to improve the working environment and increase Brigg's productivity. Company is employee owned which is great motivation for overall team success.

Cons

Could do a better job at disecting product knowledge.

9. Briggs has provided me an awesome opportunity to contribute to the company, lead people, grow, and develop personally.

Current Employee - Excellent Management/Leadership and A Team Environment! in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Briggs Equipment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is focused on coaching and developing employees and not focused on criticizing employees. This is an energized and energizing corporate culture!!!

Cons

Learning all I need to learn at a faster pace, so I can make a greater contribution to the company.

Continue to value the most important resource available to Briggs Equipment - "Its employees."

10. Challenging

Current Employee - Rental Agent in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Rental Agent in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Briggs Equipment full-time

Pros

Our ESOP benefit is probably the best thing of all for working at Briggs. I have worked here many years and there has been up's and down's to my job so having our Employee Stock Ownership Plan has been such a load off and to know that I will be able to retire and have something to fall back on is a prayer answered.

Cons

Over the years there has been many challenges, one is working for so many different Managers, you get to know one's rules and then another comes along and makes his own. Of course the changes is not only with Management but with our New System (AX) last year brought on a lot of headaches and pressure but everyone had to change and in the long run it was better.

11. I love working for Briggs Equipment!

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Briggs Equipment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Briggs Equipment for a few months now, in an administrative capacity. I really love my job and the people I work with are great. I feel supported and respected by everyone. I know if I have any problems, I can go to my management and really be heard. Upper management has an open door policy and they make me feel like I am part of a team. My ideas matter and I, as an employee and a person, matter. Management and co-workers give me the tools and resources to succeed. Benefits are great and pay is fair. I am looking forward to a long-term career at Briggs Equipment.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints. Maybe I will have some in the future, but right now, I am satisfied.

Keep being supportive and dedicated