Briggs & Stratton

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014

Briggs & Stratton Chairman, President, and CEO Todd J. Teske
Todd J. Teske

Pros
  • Good benefits if you work in Milwaukee - the Quad medical options are spectacular (in 6 reviews)

• You can easily achieve a good work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management became obsessed with numbers and reports (in 4 reviews)

• There is a poor management and they do not value their employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

a nice job for making money during college.

Former Employee - Operator in Murray, KY
    Former Employee - Operator in Murray, KY

I worked at Briggs & Stratton part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

employers and co-workers were nice.

Cons

the work was monotonous at times.

Operator

Former Employee - Production Operator in Murray, KY
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Murray, KY

I worked at Briggs & Stratton part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy work. Decent pay for the job I did.

Cons

I worked there 8 years. Couldn't get full time status. Begged the supervisor to let me know if there was any positions for full time opening up. One month later I was asked to train a new employee, age was hired full time off the street

The people are great to work with, but there are uncertainties with this company.

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people, products, and pay are great! The opportunities for me have been great! I get along well with everyone I work with. I've always enjoyed working for Briggs & Stratton.

Cons

The company has shut down 8 manufacturing operations in the past decade. That might be good if they had a clear direction of where they want to take the company, but I'm not convinced yet.

Convince me.

Good company that tries to take care of its people

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Supervisor
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Supervisor

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good compensation
    - Good training
    - Good benefits

Cons

- Lack of personal growth
    - Lack of company growth
    - Too focused on continuing business as usual

- Look to other opportunities for revenue
    - Focus on bringing in better middle management that is willing to reinvent the wheel

Overall Great Experience.

I worked at Briggs & Stratton

Pros

Lifelong relationships built with co-workers and customers alike. Extensive Training was provided early on, but fell off dramatically in the end. Pay was very good. Customer base was fabulous. The engineering staff I worked with was top-notch. Family always came first when it counted. Middle management was awesome.

Cons

Senior management became obsessed with numbers and reports. Wasted a lot of time talking about what needed to be done, but never accomplished what they set out to do. Started to micro-manage way too much. Costs reductions were always their main focus, but ended up creating more problems with inferior products in the field.

Go back to what worked in the past.

It has been good just thought I would retire here but they are closing the doors.

Current Employee - Researcher and Development Technician in McDonough, GA
    Current Employee - Researcher and Development Technician in McDonough, GA

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall it was a good place to work for. The benefits were good.

Cons

I learned alot about the products that were tested but they could have told the employees earlier what was going on.

Spent 33 years dedicating my life and extra time traveling away from Family as asked by management team, got shafted.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Briggs and Stratton use to be a great company with clear vision and dedication to it's employees 9 years ago, not any more!

Cons

CEO does not walk the talk that he and the board of directors told the employees. Dedicated employees were never asked how to improve the company. The managers where trained by HR to have crucial conversation with the employees looking for feedback but the management team held the open discussions against it's employees. Example, Warehouse vice president had his employees cancel orders so the back order reporting looked like they had 95% fill rates for domestic and international service parts, no one would listen and he is still at the top.

Hire back the dedicated employees that have experience and get rid of some of your vice presidents that are not listening to the team. Then get out of the way and let us do what we do well grow the business and sell product and innovate! That is what Briggs and Stratton was founded on.

Good company to work for but still needs upper management support

Current Employee - Production
    Current Employee - Production

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are opportunities to advance but you got to put forth the effort to get there. You also have to have the qualifications, but sometimes there are inconsistencies in which some people who lack the qualifications have moved up. You tend to work in teams to get things accomplished. This provides a great opportunity to gain a better understanding of company.

Cons

There are a lot of bottlenecks that affects production. Overall, the biggest bottleneck is the lack of communication specifically from upper management which causes a lot confusion and disruption. There are a lot of fingerpointing and politics that needs to stop.

Upper management needs to focus on accountability and be accountable for many screwups. They do not allow the proper time for production to react to any changes. It tends to always be the last minute and ultimately there is a lot of money being wasted that directly affects the bottom line.

Short but intense. Learned a lot in a short time.

I worked at Briggs & Stratton as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, food and parties for special occasions. Challenging work, but plenty of support from coworkers and supervisors. Lots of different tasks.

Cons

Learning all the corporate applications and how to support them for a large worldwide company with many thousands of employees and many different hardware platforms.

Less re-organizations.

Once great, struggling to find identity in new economy

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Briggs & Stratton

Pros

Great company for engineering disciplines, if you are into engines and power equipment, the place to be. Some selected pockets of extraordinary talent and true commitment to the organization.

Cons

Products business has antagonized the core engine business. Clear separation on how things are done in products vs engine business. Basic things around retail market are an incredible challenge to the organization as the company simply does not know how to serve this market. Struggling market share with too many people waiting to retire and not willing to drive the change the organization needs to succeed.

I hope there's enough time to make the necessary changes to stop the market share shrinking and taking the organization back to growth.