Briggs & Stratton

Add Review

Briggs & Stratton Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
77 reviews filtered by

1. Short but intense. Learned a lot in a short time.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Briggs & Stratton as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good people, food and parties for special occasions. Challenging work, but plenty of support from coworkers and supervisors. Lots of different tasks.

Cons

Learning all the corporate applications and how to support them for a large worldwide company with many thousands of employees and many different hardware platforms.

Advice to Management

Less re-organizations.

2. I enjoyed working for Briggs and Stratton and I learned so much with them

Former Employee - Technician A in Statesboro, GA
    Former Employee - Technician A in Statesboro, GA

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Briggs and Stratton is a good company to work for. I had so many people who believed in me and my work ethics that was willing to have faith in my abilities to perform the job that was required from me.

Cons

Can not say anything bad about Briggs and Stratton. I was giving a job and worked hard for the company and felt that they believed in me

Advice to Management

Keep believing in your people.

Considering The Awful Economy, This Is A Great Job

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed Atmosphere. Many around you are very willing to help and answer questions. If you have a good idea, most are willing to hear you out and seriously take this idea into consideration. Considering the poor economy over the years, one is very fortunate to have a salary position at Briggs & Stratton. Decent benefits and holiday pay for the economy we have in this day and age. There is also a free gym on campus which is quite nice. Tuition reimbursement as well.

Cons

Advancement is pretty much nonexistent unless you are a favorite or a friend of a VP in a prior job. Merit is based on perception 1st and qualification last. At review time managers seem very energetic about your growth only to fizzle out shortly after. There is undoubtedly a boys club in senior leadership which hurts the credibility of Briggs & Stratton.

A sinking ship

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free truck and the Upper management was so out of touch they had no idea what was going on in the field

Cons

The follow of information was awful. There was no training for anyone. Everyday was something different. One time I was given 1,500.00 dollars to spend for expenses in the busiest time of the year for 90 days

Advice to Management

Quit

Solid company, but does not embrace change easily.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Auburn, AL

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employees get an opportunity to learn a lot of on the job skills. Good pay for the area. Well known and respected brand. Great place to start out.

Cons

Company overall is risk averse at the plant level and does not easily accept new ideas. As a result, the company operates about 10 years behind the leading edge of industry. No set path for succession, and minimal developmental training. The training that is offered seems designed more to check off a box on a training checklist than to develop employee skills.

Advice to Management

Managers, the employees on the manufacturing floor may be from the south, but they are smarter than you think, and can tell when you are not completely honest with them. They would rather hear bad news that is straightforward than good news that is embellished.

7. Lots of opportunity

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Male-centric, management needs to be refreshed, health care benefits are not competitive with other employers in the area

Cons

Lots of opportunities for process improvement if you enjoy that type of environment.

shrinking company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Engaged employees care about the business. Manufacturing coming to Milwaukee is replacing the outsourcing trend. Good benefits if you work in Milwaukee - the Quad medical options are spectacular.

Cons

Core business continues to shrink. Senior management team is constantly besieged with in-fighting and back stabbing. Over regulation and process control have meant way more work to do simple things. Time to market is at a snails pace. The CEO has strongly indicated his disdain for seasoned employees. Moral is at an all time low.

Advice to Management

Get out of the way. Remove the antagonists. There is no incentive to take risks or have candid conversations. You have created an environment where the best path for career growth is to do nothing while complaining about why you can not do anything. Those that try and put themselves out there are setting themselves up for criticism and backlash.

Once a great company now a average or lower place to work

Current Employee - Director in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people below director level are very helpful and take great pride in their work and the company. There is a lot of opportunity for lateral movement in all areas and many different locations. Salaries are competitive and benefits are average.

Cons

Direction of company is uncertain and results in a leadership culture that is covering for bad performance with confrontation, red tap and land mines. If you are good at what you do they will drive you into the ground so turnover has been happening more lately than ever before. So if you are new beware, there may not be the training and support you need to be successful. Advancement is difficult and not performance based.

Advice to Management

Management needs to stop looking outside the management group with blame for the lack of direction and performance. They also need to look at the performance of competitors as a comparison of their performance over the five years, the results are very clear and not complimentary to the direction of the company, the solution is not to close plants and blame the great employees of the company, both new and old. Briggs needs to truly value it's great employees, not just say that, it must be shown and proven by actions or Briggs will never be a great company again.

10. Wonderful experience and atmosphere.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Intern
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Intern

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hours, pay, co-workers. The atmosphere of friendship between all employees is great. From the engineers to management to the operators on the floor, everyone is a pretty close group.

Cons

Big organization and like most organizations, it can be clunky at times. Sometimes things do not get accomplished as quickly as a person might like due to the huge levels of organization to go through. Also, 5S is majorly stupid and non productive.

Advice to Management

Not much to share. They get the job done.

11. The benefits were Superberb, the environment not so much!

Former Employee - Account Representative in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Briggs & Stratton Corporation offered a top notch benefits package when I started working there. Briggs has a strong history as one of the worlds small engine producers.

Cons

During my 8 year tenure Briggs dwindled it's attractive benefit package to become less competitive with some of the areas top employers. In todays changing market a lot of the "lifers" at Briggs were not ready for progressive change and ideas. This made it quite difficult for younger employees to "get ahead" , truly shine , and showcase new ideas/processes.

Advice to Management

I was proud to see the direction the organization was taking with addressing culture, I'm just not sure if you were aware of the affect long-term employees would have on the incoming hires.