Brigham Young University (BYU)

www.byu.edu

Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Brigham Young University (BYU) President Cecil O. Samuelson

Cecil O. Samuelson

Pros
  • Great Work Environment, Nice City, Collage Town(in 35 reviews)

• great people to work with, great institution that is getting better each year(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • During the semester you may only work up to 20 hours a week(in 16 reviews)

• If you work part-time, they will limit the number of hours you can work(in 14 reviews)

Great student job, but not enough to get out of poverty.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsThe paycheck has less taken out for taxes.
    Flexible to student schedule.
    Good people to work with.

ConsPay is fairly low for raising a family (unless you have a grant or scholarship).
    The structure of the job can be lacking at times.

Great Work Place

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsJobs galore for students. Most managers are reasonable and kind. Pay is good depending on your workload. Technical jobs get paid more than food service.

ConsI hear that it's hard to get full-time employment with benefits as a professor

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I think that the way you run the University is good overall, especially your support of students.

Great place to work

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsOffice culture, good work-life balance, Very good research facilities and great people to work with

ConsThe salary is not very high. The room for move up is limited

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worthwhile Student Jobs

ProsWorking for BYU has a lot of perks as a student.
    - Flexible schedules that usually work around classes is always a plus.
    -Discounts and deals when working for the bookstore

Cons-Pay isn't as expected for every position. I've worked 3 jobs in the bookstore, 1 of which I felt I had a good wage for my work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake student input. We have a better idea of whats going on than you think.

Motor Pool Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTime-off policies, very flexible around schedule

ConsLack of opportunity for growth

Good Student Jobs

Electrician Helper (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsStudents have the opportunity to get raises every semester. Starting pay is decent and only gets better. Get to know all of campus

ConsNot a lot of creativity in the job.

It is a wholesome, and challenging environment that builds character

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsVery flexible hours, and a challenging outline of tasks to be completed

ConsCommunication between managers and supervisors to workers can improve

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep challenging your workers and this university will be a light in the world

Great co-workers, but upper management is irresponsible and prone to tantrums

Fire Alarm Technician (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsWorking with clean-cut people with generally high morals. Opportunity for self and spouse to take classes for free.

ConsUpper management individuals push their personal agendas and play favorites. Hard to see such waste and misappropriation of funds. Upper management often behaves childishly.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget about yourself and think about what is best for your employees, the students, and the university as a whole.

Frustrating!

Assistant Director (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsThe people and the benefits

ConsLimited opportunities for women. Attitudes are mid-century towards women working.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain management in equal opportunity!

Great place to work

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsVery friendly, wholesome workplace, that cares about teaching. They have great benefits, but the salaries tend to run on the lower side.

ConsMust abide by BYU honor code, it's a teaching school first, research third or fourth. The culture can be strenuous especially if you aren't middle of the lane Mormon.

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved management, really. I think some of the honor code items need to be a little revamped, like the facial-hair thing, but overall they do a great job. I guess they could pay more, but who shouldn't, right? Their copyright stranglehold could ease up a bit too.

Worked for Brigham Young University (BYU)? Contribute to the Community!