Brigham Young University (BYU)
www.byu.edu Provo, UT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Brigham Young University (BYU) President Cecil O. Samuelson

Cecil O. Samuelson

Pros:
  • "Fun work environment, get to meet great people, looks good on resume, awesome co-workers"
    in 31 reviews
  • "great people to work with, great institution that is getting better each year"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "There really are no real cons to working at BYU except that you cannot work more then 20 hours"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Sometimes communication can be an issue because all student employees are part-time"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Business Management Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for less than a year

ProsWas able to present to decision makers after we did marketing research on a company's ad campaign. Learned about survey scales and working with the school, department, and community. Had the opportunity to run various studies in the behavioral lab and work with an inspiring professor (Darron Billeter, PhD).

ConsYou have to be very flexible about when you will work since demands are often last minute.

Good place to start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU)

ProsGood people and good student opportunities

ConsSometimes opaque processes and dead-end feeling.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to communicate down to employees at all levels.

Great University and Awesome, Family Friendly Environment

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNicest and sincerest administration, faculty and students. Great academic environment.

ConsNo cons that I can think of. It's a great place for students to work and interact with faculty.

I'm satisfied, but I know others aren't

Creative Writer/Researcher (Current Employee)
Provo, UT

ProsI work for a professor. This is by far the best gig on campus. It gives you actual experience and the pay is good. I actually enjoy work and I feel like I'm worth what I'm getting paid.

ConsThere is a wide range of hourly wage at BYU. Some jobs only pay $7.50 while others pay $10 or $12 an hour. You can always find a job opening, but if you're picky about hours or wage, you're in trouble. Some of the jobs here are flexible and pay well, others are strict and minimum wage.

Great experience with limited opportunities

Marketing Assistant (Current Employee)
Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking in an environment dedicated to the improvement of education

ConsStrict policies on what you can and can't do makes it difficult for innovation

Research Assistant

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU)

ProsIt's a student job...& pays the bills....but good networking and hands-on experience if you want to move on in the academic world

ConsIt's a student job....sometimes it's mundane & you're more of PA for the professor as opposed to a research assistant

Great

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Provo, UT

ProsReally flexible, and respect the fact that you are a busy student.

ConsHours can be very sporadic.

Very supportive; opportunities to grow

Mid-management (Former Employee)

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI was able to attend paid training and professional conferences. Compensation was very good. Excellent work environment. I had opportunities for exceptional mentoring from some of the top people in my field.

ConsIn my area, the structure and organization was such that there were limited opportunities for advancement. Advancement to a point worked well, but advancement beyond that point wasn't very likely.

Great place to work as a student

Student Web Developer (Current Employee)
Provo, UT

ProsGreat environment to work in, there are lots of different types of jobs to choose from with a wide-range of salaries. Many of the jobs are flexible allowing students to work around their class schedules to be able to get their hours every week. Depending on the job, you can typically get raises once a semester or a larger amount once a year. The experience most student jobs provides better opportunities for future employment options

ConsThe only downside is that you can often find better paying jobs off-campus but that is because it is so convenient to work on campus that they can pay a little less. Raises may not always be as great as one would hope or come as often.

It's a great place to work and study!

Graduate Student Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's very family friendly. People there are very nice and helpful.

ConsBYU weighs a lot on students evaluation even if you are a TA.

Worked for Brigham Young University (BYU)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brigham Young University (BYU) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brigham Young University (BYU) CEO Cecil O. Samuelson. All 364 reviews posted anonymously by Brigham Young University (BYU) employees.