Brigham Young University (BYU)

www.byu.edu
  www.byu.edu

Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
4.4

Kevin J. Worthen

Pros
  • The work environment is very LDS, and so very nice and everyone wants to help everyone (in 36 reviews)

• great people to work with, great institution that is getting better each year (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • During the semester you may only work up to 20 hours a week (in 20 reviews)

• Sometimes communication can be an issue because all student employees are part-time (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work

Current Employee - Computer Technician in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Computer Technician in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with and very flexible. A great place to get experience and learn from very intelligent people. They give students a lot of responsibility which has helped me learn a lot.

Cons

No chance of moving up. Once you are not enrolled in school you can no longer work here.

Keep it up!

Great place to get a good start

Former Employee - Industrial Hygiene Assistant in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Industrial Hygiene Assistant in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people were great to work with

Cons

Thier pay, isn't the greatest

Excellent experience

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

not a lot of room for growth if you are a part-time employee

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - MTC Language Assessment Rater in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - MTC Language Assessment Rater in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My current job is nice because I'm pretty much on my own rating assessments in the MTC. I don't have to coordinate too much with others and I can just go it whenever is convenient.

Cons

I generally make a lot more here in Utah than I could in Canada.

My experience at BYU has been marvelous. I have worked in two different entities and things have only gotten better.

Current Employee - Assistant PR Coordinator in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant PR Coordinator in Provo, UT

Pros

I have a great working environment and I have the opportunity to earn more money as well as take on projects for which I have a passion.

Cons

Obviously, part-time employees don't get paid time off or benefits like that. Other than that, no complaints.

Uplifting and positive work environment

Current Employee - Engineering Undergraduate Research Assistant in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Undergraduate Research Assistant in Provo, UT

Pros

The guys I work with are all extremely intelligent and helpful, we all help each other out with our work, and the research we do is cutting edge. The hours and schedule are very flexible.

Cons

Summers are prime research time so leaving for internships is often discouraged.

Focus more on outreach to undergraduates. Most have no idea how to get involved in undergraduate research.

Great student employment opportunity

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're offered a TA job, TAKE IT! Being a TA offers financial, professional and academical benefits in ways other college jobs don't.

The professors I assisted (two at a time, sometimes) were generous in each allowing the maximum number of hours per week AND letting me set my own office hours. Because my employers were familiar with my schedule and the academic calendar, maintaining a work/school/life balance was easier than if I'd worked off-campus, and the hourly wage was much higher than the minimum wage I'd be earning anywhere else.

Because I was assisting in an academic area I hoped to pursue in my graduate education, getting to know my professors better by working for them allowed for stronger letters of recommendation. I was also able to have more frequent out-of-classroom conversations with them about my research.

I learned great things about writing from correcting hundreds (and hundreds, and hundreds) of other students' essays. And because the classes I assisted were related to classes I'd taken in the past--but not necessarily identical--I was able to learn new things without the burden of paying extra tuition or doing unpaid homework. Plus, if you schedule the maximum number of office hours, chances are pretty good that *most* of the time students won't be coming to visit you (except leading up to a test or major assignment). Once you've finished any of the grading/prep the professors assigns, you can totally do your own homework during the remaining office hours. Sweet!

Cons

Make sure your professor is okay with you setting your own boundaries with students. Otherwise, dealing with procrastinators can be really difficult--expect to see a good dozen kids in your office the day before a major assignment is due, each wanting you to line-edit their draft (or help them write an initial outline). You totally want to help, but there's not a lot you can do at that point. And don't make the mistake of allowing students to email you their drafts for feedback right up until the day before deadline--I must have given feedback on a good hundred essays in a single day trying to fulfil the committment I'd made.
    Additionally, student athletes can be remarkably entitled (not all, but some--I've never had a non-student athlete assume none of the rules apply to them). In one of my larger classes I had several swim team and baseball team members. The swim students came in regularly and early for help with their essays and test study groups. When they knew they'd be away from campus for an exam or assignment, they were careful to complete it early. The baseball team members regularly missed exams without notice, turned in papers late, and then expected us to accommodate them by changing the syllabus rules since they were student athletes. (? It's college. You're here to learn.) The swim team students passed with flying colors. The baseball team students failed.

I loved being a TA. Thanks for the opportunity.

Loved mentoring students

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great work environment, great people. Obviously the institutional values were determined but the sponsoring institution and contributed to the great culture.

Cons

Very hierarchal, high emphasis of a degree to gain credibility. Personal growth opportunities were available and encourage. Pay is always behind the curve of the public sector.

Great student body. Love working with them.

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU)

Pros

Autonomy, flexible schedule. Great work environment.

Cons

Reviews, dashboards need work. Hard to find parking.

It would be great to block social media during class time. Students should be required to show expected grade when submitting a review.

Good people. Controlling religious atmosphere.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros that go with academia, generally. Students are good kids.

Cons

It's an LDS religious institution.

Brigham Young University (BYU) Photos