Brigham Young University (BYU)

www.byu.edu

Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Brigham Young University (BYU) President Cecil O. Samuelson

Cecil O. Samuelson

Pros
  • Great Work Environment, Nice City, Collage Town(in 36 reviews)

• great people to work with, great institution that is getting better each year(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • During the semester you may only work up to 20 hours a week(in 16 reviews)

• If you work part-time, they will limit the number of hours you can work(in 14 reviews)

Great work environment

Bookstore Employee (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsThe people are friendly and managers understanding. It is an easy work environment to clock in and clock out and there are multiple programs across campus jobs to learn and get more certification.

ConsHours can be hard on students but there is really no way around that. Finding a job at BYU is the hardest part as most every student is fighting to get the same jobs you want.

Great job with excellent atmosphere and flexibility.

Computer Technician (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsI enjoyed the people I worked with, and the general atmosphere of the work environment. They expected a lot out of us, but allowed us to be students and have fun, within reason.

ConsIt was difficult and overwhelming at first, to learn everything. They had a good training in place for it, which helped ease into the transition, but it still is overwhelming. There were some rules that weren't favorable, like wearing shorts, but they were mostly minor.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement seemed to mostly get it, and were involved with the work enough to know how new policies would directly affect us. Hopefully that's the same.

MMBIO 241 TA

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsIt is great campus job which will work around your class schedule. It is not overly difficult but gives you good lab, teaching, and Ta experience while building strong relationships with professors and students.

ConsIt doesn't pay as well as the chemistry department and it's not like a paid research job where there is direct job cross over.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teacher's Assistant

Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsThis was a very flexible position and I was definitely valued as a employee.

ConsI wish I could have worked more and had more direction to know what was expected to me.

I love working in BYU Athletics

Accounting Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThe leadership in the office is excellent and my co-workers are very professional.

ConsThe Athletic Department is very professional in providing training.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is very professional and great to work with.

Web Programmer - student

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat on campus job, good pay compared to other on campus jobs. Friendly environment, great learning opportunity, flexible schedule

ConsThe pay could have been higher for the work I was doing, have to be enrolled in school to work.

Working for BYUI is okay at best

Web Developer (Former Employee) Rexburg, ID

ProsThe schedule is very flexible for classes. There are many opportunities to learn and make mistakes.

ConsEverything is student run so you can forget about accurate information, training, or reasonable accommodations. There is a lot of information lost from actual policies and the policies students make up to keep from having to look something up or ask someone. Compensation is insulting for the more technical jobs on campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a rigid training regiment for all new employees so that students don't get away with working 2 hours a week for a month because they don't know what is going on or who to go to to find work.

Fantastic place to work as a Student

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsDepends on the kind of job you want. I work with a professor. The hours are flexible and I get to do stuff that will forward my academic and professional career. Your coworkers are also students and I have had the opportunity to work with some pretty fantastic people.

ConsYou cannot work for BYU if you are not a student. The pay is less than working for a traditional employer.

Great for Your Education - If your professor has money

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsGreat Work Environment, Nice City, Collage Town.
    Do not have to pay for insurance (including dependents) and Tuition is payed for. Also, plenty of opportunities to apply for funding (Travel, Research Funds, Etc...)

ConsSome Professors require 60+ hr work weeks, and not everyone has funding, so you may have to TA a lot. No raises for students in the past 8 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pinching pennies, and give me a raise.

Flexible, great environment, good student pay.

Music Instructor (Former Employee) Provo, UT

ProsTeaching music lessons was satisfying, with flexible hours and appreciative students. I'd recommend this to anybody who can teach well.

ConsNot enough students. I would've liked having 10 or 15, but they have so many teachers that it's hard to get as many teaching hours in as you'd like.

Worked for Brigham Young University (BYU)? Contribute to the Community!