Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews

Reset

1. Great Environment, Great Supervisors

Former Employee - Engineer Projects Lab Supervisor in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer Projects Lab Supervisor in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU)

Pros

One of the best aspects of working at BYU is that the people there have a genuine interest in the success and growth of others. They are very approachable if you have any concerns or ideas. They understand the importance of family and so you will never be asked to sacrifice something that is important to your family for your work. They are very intelligent, which means you learn a lot and this makes the work enjoyable as well.

Cons

Resources to implement changes are somewhat limited although the use of resources they do have are very wisely handled. Some ideas were acknowledged as good, but were not ultimately implemented. They do and are always striving to improve the facilities as they can, which is great.

Advice to Management

My experience was that they are headed in the right direction and I would say keep going. They understand design thinking in the engineering and business schools and are moving more and more in that direction and are improving their facilities and opportunities to encourage innovation and good engineering design. I think as the university continues to put emphasis on innovation, entrepreneurship and a marriage of the various disciplines taught on campus they will emerge as producer of great leaders and innovators who can make a great change in the world. This mentality should be infused more and more in the employees and faculty.

2. Editor at The Universe

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time

Pros

This was an amazing environment to work in. I learned a lot about the news organization and was able to improve in my writing, editing and management during my time there.

Cons

There aren't many cons I can think of. You're generally able to plan your schedule around your courses, so that makes working there very convenient.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on. The management staff at The Universe is full of experienced professionals that regularly offer advice and give insight as to what life is like in the news industry.

3. Good employment for students

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to campus Incredibly flexible schedule Good programming practice (depending on the position)

Cons

Low expectations from employees means poor results. OIT is not very forward thinking. They react rather than be proactive.

Advice to Management

Don't wait until the last minute to update the C framework. The hindenburg is preparing to land.

5. Great people, Great Mission

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of Brigham Young University is at the core of the work we do. The people are great! The environment is wonderful with the students excited about their future.

Cons

Your creativity is suppressed because of the bureaucratic nature of the organization. Ideas from the bottom up are supplanted by ideas from the top.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees! With the amount of red tape that they employees have to go through, it is disheartening when you are not trusted by your supervisor.

6. Specialist

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time

Pros

Awesome environment, perfect work/life balance. Wonderful benefits and access to university materials. Great balance of full-time workers and student employees which contributes to a great balance of older experience and newer ideas and knowledge

Cons

Nothing necessarily, like any university or education establishment the pay could be a little bit higher, but that tends to come with the territory.

Advice to Management

Great management, even at the highest level managers are willing to mix and mingle with part-time employees making you feel a part of the team.

7. Research assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low-key and fun work environment, flexible hours

Cons

Can't think of any obvious ones.

8. Web Designer

Former Employee - Web Developer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU)

Pros

Low stress Nice people Pays decent for what I was doing Nice to work on campus It was cool to see students using what i made

Cons

Of course it would be nice to get paid more, but as a student i found it more or less reasonable

Advice to Management

It was great most of the time. There were times when I felt I really wasn't actually even needed, but most of the time work was good. I really was surrounded by great people.

9. Great Experience

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time

Pros

Exciting project. Nice advisers. Nice campus. Very safe living area. Great health benefit

Cons

Really not any I can think of. Summers are really hot and dry.

10. Adjunct Professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Online Instructor in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Adjunct Online Instructor in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) (Less than a year)

Pros

great atmosphere, mentors, format and systems

Cons

Feel a desire to work harder than the minimum because everyone is so great.

11. Good Intro B2C Sales job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best pro - This was definitely a "people" company in my experience. Everyone seemed very friendly and you could be friends with your coworkers. I got great advice from sales people on my team, my manager, my manager's manager and the company training coach. They seemed very understanding about life situations as well. If you've never done sales before, this job will help you learn what it's like as a salesperson even up to the big league B2B jobs. If you don't like being a salesperson here then it's an important indicator that sales may not be for you. The training was good and the job was a great way for me to learn what being a salesperson is about, without walking around neighborhoods in the heat of summer like some intro sales jobs. The lunches on Fridays as a company were always awesome and one of the best parts of the week! WARNING: It can be easy to look at their sales process as "scammy". However, sales is a lot about perspective and a service mindset. The basic idea at MFPC is to help people with their computers, so keep that in mind when talking to people and if they don't want or need your help, wish them a good day and move on.

Cons

Though all sales positions are part time (at least while I was there), I recommend against being heavily involved in something else outside of MFPC while working in sales. I tried to be a full-time university student at the same time and it didn't take long to see that one of them had to go, unfortunately in my situation it was the job. A lot of meetings! Seemed like we were always in a meeting and I often felt like they did not apply to me. Also, my team had some issues with unprofessional work conduct including the manager, but I believe the responsible parties were either terminated or demoted and retrained shortly after I left. Last but especially not least: for those with some sales experience, you will notice a misalignment in the sales management at MFPC. They claim to be an outcome-oriented company, but the management is definitely skewed toward a behavior-oriented system.

Advice to Management

Keep up the small-company feel with everyone getting to know each other, as well as the Friday lunches if possible. This is one of the main reasons that people love it there, when I was there. Also, I recommend figuring out whether you're going for results or behavior from the sales people and manage toward that end, rather than saying one thing and doing something else.

RSS Feed </> Embed