Brigham Young University (BYU)

www.byu.edu
  www.byu.edu

Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
4.4

Kevin J. Worthen

Pros
  • The work environment is very LDS, and so very nice and everyone wants to help everyone (in 38 reviews)

• great people to work with, great institution that is getting better each year (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • During the semester you may only work up to 20 hours a week (in 20 reviews)

• If you work part-time, they will limit the number of hours you can work (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Review of BYU

Current Employee - MTC Teacher in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - MTC Teacher in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have loved working for BYU it has been a blast. The culture and the atmosphere has been a great environment to be able to become a better person and help others achieve their goals.

Cons

The schedule is a little rough with school. At the MTC they require you to work 20 hours which is kind of difficult with school and tests but we work it out.

increasing bonuses and other offers. Also to allow more flexibility when it comes to substitutions. They can be very strict about this.

Meaningful research experience as an undergraduate research assistant

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, one-on-one contact with a professor, mentored relationship with several graduate students, participation in cutting-edge engineering research. Good pay compared to campus jobs.

Cons

On one project, I had to use 20-year-old equipment that had not been upgraded or maintained well. It was frustrating to have to figure out how to use it without instructions.

Academic Advisor, Bachelor of General Studies

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many pros. The opportunity to work in a university office setting, working with students, excellent co-workers and administrators. The office culture was superior to any I'd ever experienced. Administrators are genuinely interested in helping you discover and advance your professional strengths and interests.

Cons

None that I can think of. It is a student job, so it is unrealistic to expect benefits, etc.

Great employers and working environment

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU)

Pros

Employers are looking out for the student employees. They are really flexible with students who have projects/homework/labs/exams. In general, employees learn a lot on the job and employers are good about giving letters of recommendations too.

Cons

Employees (full-time/students/faculty) are all expected to follow the BYU Honor Code, which may be an issue if you aren't LDS. Also, BYU culture is inherently LDS-centric so potential employees need to be aware of that (no swearing, no smoke breaks, definitely no drinking alcohol).

Great part time student job

Former Employee - Landscaping Specialist in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Landscaping Specialist in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great values, culture, and atmosphere

Cons

compensation was close to minimum wage

Offer more raises

Awesome

Current Employee - Community Manager in Rexburg, ID
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Rexburg, ID

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time

Pros

- Fair pay
    - Great leadership opportunities
    - Wonderful culture
    - Strong company values

Cons

- Hard to get promoted

I enjoyed being employed at BYU. I worked as an activity class instructor during my time as a graduate student.

Former Employee - Activity Class Instructor in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Activity Class Instructor in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

It was so great to have a job opportunity while doing my grad work that could be worked in and around a typical graduate student's day and the fact that the job was in an area related to what I was going to school for made it even better. Compensation for my time devoted to teaching and preparation was more than adequate and the students were typically great each semester.

Cons

If you enjoy teaching and have prior teaching experience than there really are no negatives to the job because the couple not so fun things you'll have to deal with because of the occasional pain in the butt student you'll already know just come with a teaching a job.

None really. It's a pretty self-driven job but the department does a good job of preparing you with teacher training prior to your first day teaching.

good place

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU)

Pros

fun work enviroment and friends

Cons

not enough free food please

Awesome Place

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

On campus jobs are awesome! I love the experience you get with professors and I also have the ability to pick my own schedule. It is perfect for graduate school as well and looks awesome on a Resume. I pretty much just get paid to do things I should already be doing.

Cons

I would love it if the salary was a bit higher.

Great jobs, great people to work with

Current Employee - Phone Room Specialist in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Phone Room Specialist in Provo, UT

Pros

The job was really easy to get. Most of my time at work was free time I spent studying. I met lots of great people and had a great time. My boss was super nice!

Cons

I didn't feel very useful. I think they "make up" a lot of jobs to keep students employed!

Maybe there should have been more "real" work to do...

Brigham Young University (BYU) Photos