Brigham Young University (BYU)

www.byu.edu

Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014
Updated August 29, 2014

4.4

Kevin J. Worthen

Pros
  • Great Work Environment, Nice City, Collage Town (in 36 reviews)

• great people to work with, great institution that is getting better each year (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • During the semester you may only work up to 20 hours a week (in 16 reviews)

• If you work part-time, they will limit the number of hours you can work (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great internship at BYU

Former Employee - Feature Writer  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Feature Writer in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Awesome culture and great people at University Communications. Seriously the best internship you can have on campus.

Cons

Not much room for growth. You have to be there for three semesters before you get a raise. That said, it does pay better than most on-campus jobs.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

You will get a lot of exposure as a TA and will get to learn a lot of new stuffs and teaching techniques.

Cons

Some of the professors expect a lot out of their TA's They give you work that will take more than 20 hours you are suppose to work.

Consider time consuming TA jobs to undergraduate students and give graduate students time to research.

Great work environment

Former Employee - Bookstore Employee  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Bookstore Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are friendly and managers understanding. It is an easy work environment to clock in and clock out and there are multiple programs across campus jobs to learn and get more certification.

Cons

Hours can be hard on students but there is really no way around that. Finding a job at BYU is the hardest part as most every student is fighting to get the same jobs you want.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job with excellent atmosphere and flexibility.

Former Employee - Computer Technician  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with, and the general atmosphere of the work environment. They expected a lot out of us, but allowed us to be students and have fun, within reason.

Cons

It was difficult and overwhelming at first, to learn everything. They had a good training in place for it, which helped ease into the transition, but it still is overwhelming. There were some rules that weren't favorable, like wearing shorts, but they were mostly minor.

Management seemed to mostly get it, and were involved with the work enough to know how new policies would directly affect us. Hopefully that's the same.

MMBIO 241 TA

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

Pros

It is great campus job which will work around your class schedule. It is not overly difficult but gives you good lab, teaching, and Ta experience while building strong relationships with professors and students.

Cons

It doesn't pay as well as the chemistry department and it's not like a paid research job where there is direct job cross over.

Teacher's Assistant

Former Employee - Teacher's Assistant  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Teacher's Assistant in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for less than a year

Pros

This was a very flexible position and I was definitely valued as a employee.

Cons

I wish I could have worked more and had more direction to know what was expected to me.

I love working in BYU Athletics

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist
    Current Employee - Accounting Specialist

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The leadership in the office is excellent and my co-workers are very professional.

Cons

The Athletic Department is very professional in providing training.

Management is very professional and great to work with.

Web Programmer - student

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great on campus job, good pay compared to other on campus jobs. Friendly environment, great learning opportunity, flexible schedule

Cons

The pay could have been higher for the work I was doing, have to be enrolled in school to work.

Working for BYUI is okay at best

Former Employee - Web Developer  in  Rexburg, ID
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Rexburg, ID

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

Pros

The schedule is very flexible for classes. There are many opportunities to learn and make mistakes.

Cons

Everything is student run so you can forget about accurate information, training, or reasonable accommodations. There is a lot of information lost from actual policies and the policies students make up to keep from having to look something up or ask someone. Compensation is insulting for the more technical jobs on campus.

There should be a rigid training regiment for all new employees so that students don't get away with working 2 hours a week for a month because they don't know what is going on or who to go to to find work.

Fantastic place to work as a Student

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

Pros

Depends on the kind of job you want. I work with a professor. The hours are flexible and I get to do stuff that will forward my academic and professional career. Your coworkers are also students and I have had the opportunity to work with some pretty fantastic people.

Cons

You cannot work for BYU if you are not a student. The pay is less than working for a traditional employer.

Worked for Brigham Young University (BYU)? Contribute to the Community!