Brigham Young University (BYU)

www.byu.edu
  www.byu.edu

Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
4.4

Kevin J. Worthen

Pros
  • Great Work Environment, Nice City, Collage Town (in 36 reviews)

• great people to work with, great institution that is getting better each year (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • During the semester you may only work up to 20 hours a week (in 16 reviews)

• If you work part-time, they will limit the number of hours you can work (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working in BYU Athletics

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist
    Current Employee - Accounting Specialist

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The leadership in the office is excellent and my co-workers are very professional.

Cons

The Athletic Department is very professional in providing training.

Management is very professional and great to work with.

Web Programmer - student

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great on campus job, good pay compared to other on campus jobs. Friendly environment, great learning opportunity, flexible schedule

Cons

The pay could have been higher for the work I was doing, have to be enrolled in school to work.

Fantastic place to work as a Student

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

Pros

Depends on the kind of job you want. I work with a professor. The hours are flexible and I get to do stuff that will forward my academic and professional career. Your coworkers are also students and I have had the opportunity to work with some pretty fantastic people.

Cons

You cannot work for BYU if you are not a student. The pay is less than working for a traditional employer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for Your Education - If your professor has money

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Provo, UT

Pros

Great Work Environment, Nice City, Collage Town.
    Do not have to pay for insurance (including dependents) and Tuition is payed for. Also, plenty of opportunities to apply for funding (Travel, Research Funds, Etc...)

Cons

Some Professors require 60+ hr work weeks, and not everyone has funding, so you may have to TA a lot. No raises for students in the past 8 years.

Stop pinching pennies, and give me a raise.

Working for BYUI is okay at best

Former Employee - Web Developer  in  Rexburg, ID
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Rexburg, ID

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

Pros

The schedule is very flexible for classes. There are many opportunities to learn and make mistakes.

Cons

Everything is student run so you can forget about accurate information, training, or reasonable accommodations. There is a lot of information lost from actual policies and the policies students make up to keep from having to look something up or ask someone. Compensation is insulting for the more technical jobs on campus.

There should be a rigid training regiment for all new employees so that students don't get away with working 2 hours a week for a month because they don't know what is going on or who to go to to find work.

A great place to work

Current Employee - IT Engineer  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Provo, UT

Pros

Good environment, people are patient, and lots of freedom in how things are done.

Cons

Some departments are staffed too low, resulting in a lot of responsibility being placed on too few people.

Flexible, great environment, good student pay.

Former Employee - Music Instructor  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Music Instructor in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Teaching music lessons was satisfying, with flexible hours and appreciative students. I'd recommend this to anybody who can teach well.

Cons

Not enough students. I would've liked having 10 or 15, but they have so many teachers that it's hard to get as many teaching hours in as you'd like.

Great place (and plentiful opportunities) for job experience.

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere, and flexible hours for its student employees. Pretty decent work ethic here, and there's a sense of purpose that seems to drive a lot of the positions. I had room to grow and take the initiative on projects, and I received on-the-job training from patient supervisors.

Cons

I had a part-time student job, so I wasn't paid well, but it was better than minimum wage.

Consider a little more commitment behind employee training.

Great place to work while going to school

Former Employee - Student Employee  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Student Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time for more than a year

Pros

They work with your school schedule each semester. They are very lenient during finals week. They pay decent and usually give raises three times a year.

Cons

Can be a lot of grunt work. Full-time employees tend to look down upon students - which I can see why, at times, but in general they should treat students more like employees.

Treat student employees more like full-time employees so they have more motivation to work hard/learn their job.

My experience at BYU was very good. I had a lot of independence in my teaching as a graduate student and flexibility.

Former Employee - Graduate Student Instructor  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Instructor in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Good flexibility and good salary for amount of work that was needed. They also offered a TA for my job as a teacher and gave me free reign over my class for the most part and how I utilized my TA and colleagues were professional.

Cons

Not very many cons. They do pay more for day classes than evening classes, and that didn't seem right since the amount of students were often the same so it was often the same amount of work. I know the salaries came from different departments, but that really didn't seem right. Other than that, things were good.

Equal salary for equal work. Happy with everything else.

Worked for Brigham Young University (BYU)? Contribute to the Community!