Brigham Young University (BYU)

www.byu.edu
  www.byu.edu

Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
4.4

Kevin J. Worthen

Pros
  • The work environment is very LDS, and so very nice and everyone wants to help everyone (in 36 reviews)

• great people to work with, great institution that is getting better each year (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • During the semester you may only work up to 20 hours a week (in 20 reviews)

• Sometimes communication can be an issue because all student employees are part-time (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Place for a student

Current Employee - Russian Language TA in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Russian Language TA in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment. Usually not incredibly stressful, and I was treated and taught very well. My direct supervisor and the student supervisor both cared a lot about the people that were under their leadership, and they spent a lot of time training us on how to work better in our current capacities and for the future.

Cons

Very hard to get changes made. Often management implements policies that don't seem very logical or practical.

Good experience for a student

Current Employee - Software Developer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There's autonomy, flexible hours, very understanding management. Overall its a nice environment to work in.

Cons

Sometimes its a bit slow. The project I work on has little visibility, and nobody really cares about it. No training.

Maybe have more structured training for student employees, to help them develop their skills.

Great job, hit or miss management

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU)

Pros

I worked as an MTC teacher. The best part is that you get to work with young men and women who are excited about missionary work, you get get to keep up your mission language, and you have frequent spiritual experiences. Working at the MTC was the perfect student job. It paid relatively well and it was rewarding in other ways.

Cons

Sometimes management was good and sometimes it wasn't. I resented managers who tried to micro manage and guilt teachers into compliance. The hours were sometimes hard, I almost always had to work either Friday or Saturday night from 6pm-9pm, and whether it was evening or not I always had to work on Saturdays so basically I never had a full weekend day. The monotony of the lesson plans can be tough if you're not willing to think outside the box.

Don't try to guilt teachers into complying with certain rules or processes; usually your teachers are pretty upstanding people, so just give them some general guidance and let them do their thing.

"Wellness Program Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You work with really great people who have high standards and share values. If you are a student, they are very willing to work with your schedule to allow for your education to come first.

Cons

There is very little room for growth. It's structure is pretty rigid, so once you're in a position, you pretty much stay there.

Great

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time

Pros

I love my experience working there.

Cons

Low payment, and had to work hard to get the money I wanted

BYU Career Services

Pros

Best job for a BYU student. So much exposure to employers. I've loved every second of it. The office staff is the best on campus.

Cons

No cons, I have loved working here.

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job was very well paying for a student job. Hours were very flexible. Honestly, this job is what got me into graduate school.

Cons

None to speak of, it was the best opportunity for me at the time

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is wonderful and the staff is great. Management is understanding and sympathetic to family needs. Benefits are fantastic--especially the health plans in which the college pays for a huge portion of the expense. The tuition benefit for family members is also wonderful. Every Tuesday you have a paid hour break for spiritual uplifting with the BYU Devotional which is shown all over campus.

Cons

Pay is a little low, but benefits are great.

Typical Fast Food Experiance

Current Employee - Retail Dining Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Retail Dining Employee in Provo, UT

Pros

Helpful Managers/Fellow workers, generally a good environment, half-off card for on campus dining. Flexible around students' schedules. Generally a clean environment.

Cons

It can be hard to get a sub, and at the beginning of a semester we are often understaffed., which can be very stessful.

Great place

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU)

Pros

Very nice people and nice place to work.

Cons

have to think of one yet.

Brigham Young University (BYU) Photos