Brigham and Women's Hospital

Brigham and Women's Hospital Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Brigham and Women's Hospital President Gary L. Gottlieb

Gary L. Gottlieb

Pros:
  • "BWH is a great place to start off in an entry level position"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Dealing with real people (patients); good skills training; beautiful building, great area; good benefits"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "lack of clear pathway to indvidual career development"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Long hours are expected and often go uncompensated"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a nice place to work.

Patient Observer (Former Employee)

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital for less than a year

ProsGreat experience for someone starting out in health care. The people were nice and management was very fair.

ConsMinimum weekly required hours were really a part-time commitment but there were no benefits or vacation time b/c position was per diem

I love working at BWH it though me a lot on different things that I wanted to do in my life.

Receptionist (Former Employee)

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital as an intern for less than a year

ProsBWH is a fun place to work, it give you and opportunity to see how the hospital work and if that's a place for you. I would be glad to go back there next summer.

ConsThis year, I had a lot of difficulty while working downstairs of the wiener center

Advice to Senior Managementchoose her word wisely, because you might not know how speak or understand what you are saying.

Prestigious Environment

Primary Care Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, Internal employment opportunities to move either upward or laterally into a different department, Educational opportunities both within the institution or at an affiliated college, Facility places high value on education and excellence.

ConsTravel into Boston i.e. traffic, parking, weather. Sometimes it is difficult to figure out which department or individual you need to speak with for assistance as there are so many employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership tends to often back leadership without listening to all sides of a story

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent institution that allows high level research experience

Instructor (Former Employee)

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent post-doctoral experience and enabled high degree of exposure to nearby Harvard Institutions. Excellent cross-disciplinary work with other Harvard institutions. Longwood medical area, where BWH is located is a highly collaborative atmosphere. Well equipped with high-tech instruments.

Conslack of clear pathway to indvidual career development. Understandably, higher PI positions are geared towards MDs and PhDs.

Research Fellow

Research Fellow (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat overall environment for research career development, lots of cutting edge labs to connect for new opportunities. City of Boston is great for fellows and students. Affiliation with Harvard allows for access to top quality facilities and faculties.

ConsUrban setting is always chaotic, the institution is too large to be comfortable for longterm career choices.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Reputable hospital with poor managed Pulmonary department. Lack of communication

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat for benefits and networking opportunities, as well as access to job opportunities in other hospitals under the Partners umbrella

ConsI worked in Pulmonary Department, which is managed poorly by Administrative director that plays favorites and does not do her job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication

very unsupportive

Medical Secretary (Former Employee)

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsDealing with real people (patients); good skills training; beautiful building, great area; good benefits.

Consoffice politics; indifferent supervisors, doctors with elitous attitudes, unfair practices.

Internship in the research department

College Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital as an intern for less than a year

ProsMy coworkers were all friendly. I was able to get a lot of hands-on experience, though I did have to take initiative to ask for some projects. Decent place to start as an entry-level position or intern.

ConsIn my particular department, there was very little mentorship involved. It also takes very long for things to get approved, as things need to get approved across different levels of management. Days can also get pretty routine.

good HR support, friendly people, prestigious place

College Intern (Former Employee)

Prosfriendly manager/upper manager
HR training programs
good benefits
I like my internship experience, with all employee orientation, workshops, community service days incorporated. It was a fairly relaxed environment and was not as stressful as I imagined a hospital to be. My work hours were a typical 8-5 pm, 40 hour week. Manager was understanding, but was busy and did not give us interns too much work and project. Work was not as challenging as imagined as an intern, but they do want to help and mentor you.

Conswork may get monotonous
hard to advance

Great place to work for

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time for less than a year

ProsGood PI to work with

Consnone i can think of

Worked for Brigham and Women's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brigham and Women's Hospital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brigham and Women's Hospital CEO Gary L. Gottlieb. All 127 reviews posted anonymously by Brigham and Women's Hospital employees.