Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Updated August 26, 2014

3.2

Bright Horizons Family Solutions CEO and Director David H. Lissy
David H. Lissy

Pros
  • Flexibility - hrs, work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• The children and families was the best part of working in this company (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Executive leadership and upper management should reflect your center leadership community (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours since they made you take an hour break (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Learning Experience!

Former Employee - Resource Teacher  in  Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Resource Teacher in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff are appreciated and friendly to one another through out most of the building. They provide the supplies their teachers need, as well as keep up on the toys, equipment and books. They also have a nutritious and adventurous food plan. They continue your education on the job, and the kids are wonderful!

Cons

Some of the teachers are cliquish, and communication could be better. The pay could be higher, but that's the education field in general. They could be more selective with what they send to the infant wing in terms of food for cleaning purposes.

More meetings with staff, better communication

Great mission & concept falls short based on hiring practices

Former Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great company that promotes growth from within, and from the start, reminds teachers that they are the heart of the company. Their training and orientation programs are detailed and helped me to understand my job responsibilities more fully. The curriculum is child-centered while allowing the teacher to create fun, engaging themes to incorporate child development. We have the freedom to organize our rooms and incorporate different materials (pending approval, of course). The staff is friendly, and the parents seem to understand the import of the teachers being a vital part in their child's upbringing. Food ain't bad either

Cons

It's purely a case by case scenario, but the center I started at seems to have gone downhill in hiring talented and appropriately educated individuals to fill in the teaching roles. One of the reasons I left was because I have a degree and experience and an overall higher quality of teaching than I felt my cohorts were able to project; I love preschool and toddler rooms because of the constant learning and discovery going on, but at the end of the day, no matter what the pamphlets tell you, you are treated like a glorified babysitter, and while pay is a little higher in the company compared to other daycare centers, I felt it wasn't nearly enough to compensate for the amount of work being given. As I was a high-performing classroom, I often received the troubled and high-needs children, without an increase in pay to reflect my value to the company, and so I left.

If you have a highly valued teacher among your ranks; let them know it. Cards and appreciative gestures are welcome, but at the end of the day, nothing will keep them there without a substantial raise. A few cents isn't going to cut it.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Response

Aug 12, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience did not represent our mission and principles. We value the expertise of our teachers and seek to ensure ... More

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” Thats what this job makes me feel.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great coworkers
    -Great management
    -Great care
    -Great opportunities
    -Great environment
    -People want you to succeed
    -People want to teach you tricks to make your life easier
    -And of course the children are adorable!

Cons

-The pay isn't that great for the effort that is put in, but truthfully I don't mind taking the pay cut I did to work for such an amazing company

None

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teacher

Current Employee - Toddler Teacher  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Toddler Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, family environment, flexible schedules

Cons

No room for advancement or moving up within the company

Become more appreciative of staff

We Care!

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time for more than a year

Pros

Bright Horizons is a great company! Bright Horizons has great employees! You will participate in great trainings!

Cons

There may not be enough opportunities for advancement within the company! The cleanliness of some centers is questionable!

Visit centers often!

Experienced teacher that has seen it all.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Pros

Great team to work with at this particular location.

Cons

Limits in upward promotion.

We can't teach effectively if you don't give us the money to purchase the tools that we need to help the children learn. This is a multi million dollar corporation, I should not have to wait six months or more to get what I need for the classroom.

Lots of work for little pay

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn new things, some of your co-workers will be really great

Cons

No work life balance and even worse, felt like there was an unspoken contest on who could work the most. Favoritism among staff, same people get promoted over and over again throughout the company while other hard working employees are left wondering why they were overlooked. They make a big song and dance about the benefits but found them to be lacking. Always jumping through hoops to get healthcare bills paid and even with a 50% discount on childcare, prices are through the roof.

Help with work life balance by setting an example from the top down.

Teacher

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Pros

I loved working with the children and how creative you could be with the curriculum. Yet that has its drawbacks.

Cons

The creativity and freedom allows others to be the greatest at their job, yet also allows others to be completely lazy.
    Also, employees are not paid time and a half for overtime. I question whether that is even legal.

Nice Mission, Inconsistently Followed

Former Employee - Lead Teacher/Teacher Supervisor
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher/Teacher Supervisor

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good mission.
    HEART Principles speak to everyone
    Good, dedicated, compassionate teachers and some good directors

Cons

As an employee for almost 5 years, here is my perspective...

*Low pay: Bright Horizons pays slightly more than the going rate for most other child care centers, but trust me when I say it is all about their profit rather than paying you a wage that you can live on. They are a publicly traded company, so they are only out to ensure their share holders are paid. You are paid hourly which is fine, but are often shorted over time by changing scheduling.

*As a teacher with teacher certification, experience, and a degree (as I am), you are not paid much (if anything) more than your non-certified/inexperienced counterparts. You will walk around eventually resenting that little Billy and Susie can afford to go on "vacas" to Punta Cana twice a year, when you can hardly afford to pay the rent you split with your parents/sibling/roommates, feed your kid(s), and purchase the new uniform pants or "professional slacks" that BH makes you wear.

Here are some of the things required of you for between 10 and 13 per hour ($13 reflects the "higher paying" regions or states).

*You are expected to have a degree. Some states also require teacher certification. By 2016, all teachers will need to have at least an associates despite low pay.

*You must communicate daily and weekly w/parents (daily newsletters w/pictures, verbal communication, phone calls, day sheets, emails etc).

*You must do parent/teacher conferences (that often last an hour).

*You are responsible for online portfolios documenting student progress. These used to be physical portfolios complete with photos, observations/anecdotal notes, and child work examples.

*You are responsible for weekly to bi-weekly lesson plans based on an emergent curriculum.

*You have to do a detailed written occurrence report for every little tiny small scratch that a child may get by naturally playing (this included phoning the parent).

*You must "put on a happy face" always ask "why not?" when addressing parent concerns and complaints. You deal with very unappreciative and some downright rude parents.

*You have to go to evening staff meetings. (typically 6:30-8:00 or 8:30). At some centers, they do not pay you over time for this by making you cut hours later during the week.

*If you are a lead teacher, you are responsible for training the many staff that enter your room due to high turnover.

*If you are an assistant director or director, you are responsible for an insane amount of documentation, plus teacher observations.

*Benefits are expensive relative to the salary. Most employees opt to skip benefits.

*Another con is the unsystematic way in which teachers move up in the company. Different regions do things differently, so there is no one approach. This is coming from someone who was in "succession planning."

*Directors and assistant directors are often ignorant about child development and are so far removed from what it takes to run a classroom. They just try to cram as many kids into the rooms as possible. They often do not advocate for their teachers when parents complain about nonsense.

*Directors and assistant directors are not observed like teachers. Therefore they get away with a lot of things. The RMs (regional managers/directors supervisors) visit once in a blue moon, during which the directors put on a little show. Afterward, it is back to business as usual.

Overall, do not attempt to work for BH if you have responsibilities and are not supported financially in some way by someone else (roommates, parents, spouse, etc). You will financially sink like the Titanic.

Take a little bit of that profit and share it with the teachers. Teachers would like to make a living wage. If a teacher can't rent a basic apartment, pay basic utilities, and buy food for a family with only one child, that is a problem!

Please actually listen and implement some of the suggestions made by employees. The annual surveys are useless if you do not do anything about the issues (especially the relative LOW PAY).

One year you even announced in a pamphlet, "We listened! We now have financial advisers available to you to help you save more money!" How will that even help when we don't have any money to save?

Hire more knowledgeable directors and assistant directors with at least 10 years of all age group classroom experience and a MA in Early Childhood Education! Furthermore, observer your admin more closely as you do teachers!

Have admin work in each classroom at least a couple times per year in order for them to see what is really going on and to keep them connected to the classroom experience.

Great preschool experience

Former Employee - Pre- School Lead Teacher  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Pre- School Lead Teacher in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

My supervisors genuinely cared about the employees. Great relationships with co-workers. Easy to get time off. Great benefits package

Cons

I would have stayed longer if the salary was better

Worked for Bright Horizons Family Solutions? Contribute to the Community!