Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Updated November 25, 2014
2.9

Bright Horizons Family Solutions CEO and Director David H. Lissy
David H. Lissy

Pros
  • Flexibility - hrs, work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• The children and families was the best part of working in this company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There seems to be some favoritism shown from the upper management (in regards to promotions) (in 14 reviews)

• Company talks about how you get a good "work life balance" but what they don't tell you is that is just for management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

As with any company, the experience depends a lot on the quality of leadership available.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

Our school was a 5 star center, so the children had access to high quality technology in the classroom. Our documentation on the children's progress was all web-based. They have good benefits as well.

Cons

There was so much micro-management and a lack of appreciation for the time and efforts that the teachers put in. We seemed to be told every 3-6 months that we needed to revamp something....which all seemed to rest on our shoulders in the spare time that did not exist. The company prides itself on offering this "road to success" when in reality, there are very limited opportunities for promotion. Our program in particular lacked integrity. I had a big problem with being directed to make promises to potential clients that could not necessarily be kept.

If you want to provide a first class experience to your clients, consider your employees as well. I always described where I worked as a Child Development Center, not a daycare, and would have appreciated to be be compensated as such. Considering the outrageous tuition, it was difficult to comprehend why the sad compensation.

Nov 25, 2014Human Resources

Your feedback is much appreciated. Employee growth is essential to our success and our growth and learning process is an important of our organization. If you have further recommendations to share on ... More

Pretty Good Experience

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Plano, TX

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like my center. The staff are wonderful. I am treated pretty well as a sub, as they allow me to make my own hours - I'm very grateful to our assistant director for that..And of course, I love the kids!

Cons

Some of the directors do not stand up for their staff, which can be very discouraging.

This company has done a fabulous job at making sure that the environment is safe and that the curriculum is age appropriate and interactive.

Current Employee - Teacher in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a closeness and "family feel" to Bright Horizons which brings on warm and thoughtful work environment.

Cons

Since Bright Horizons strives on partner relationships, it appears that all policy and regulations are determined not completely by BH, but by the partners. For instance, one center may get different days off and vacation times.

The policies should not be easily swaded by the partners agendas. BH is its own business, and employees need to be treated fairly across the board when dealing with times off.

My Experience..

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love the children and families.
    Diverse group of staff with the same passion as you.

Cons

Holiday Training days. (Every other holiday)
    Getting sick Regularly
    Location

Great learning experience.

Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Ithaca, NY

Pros

Children and families!
    Company values.
    trainings in various areas of work-- early childhood, safety, cpr, curriculum, standards, etc. very helpful
    team work environment within the classrooms.

Cons

office culture
    career growth
    advancement
    high high high turn over rate.

pay scale/responsibilities not always commensurate with each other.
    catty-ness with co workers

Expectations vary greatly depending on the department

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Pros

Flexibility with hours, company values, leadership, great people

Cons

Lean corporate structure, few opportunities for advancement, lower than average salaries, work/life balance that is promoted seems to apply to some departments and not others.

Employee development opportunities are focused on certification and bachelor's degrees for center staff. Professional development at the corporate level is below par as compared to other companies.

Associate Teacher

Current Employee - Associate Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are Bright Horizons all over the world. So, you can move and keep you job

Cons

We're here to cater to the parents who work for these fortune 500 companies. Nothing about Bright Horizons involves educating the children that come to out center; we are glorified babysitters. We are not allowed to take the children.

Directors needed to be evaluated too

Oct 27, 2014Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. At Bright Horizons, we encourage open and honest communication which includes regular performance reviews for all employees. We empower our teachers ... More

Long time employee

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work family balance. Great child care discount, wonderful mission and dedicated staff.

Cons

Benefits very average for such a large company. Not a lot of room for advancement.

Oct 27, 2014Human Resources

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. At Bright Horizons we strive to provide our employees with growth opportunities that foster their potential and personal goals. If you are interested in ... More

Great place to work

Current Employee - Education Coordinator in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Education Coordinator in Pontiac, MI

Pros

The company is always moving people around, so promotions come quickly

Cons

Long hours, heavy work load

Oct 27, 2014Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're glad to hear you think Bright Horizons is a great place to work! We know that caring for children is hard but rewarding work, and appreciate ... More

The worst place I've ever worked.

Former Employee - Teacher Aide in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher Aide in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People I worked with, and the children.

Cons

Worst Director, doesn't know how to keep it professional. A very high stressed environment, little to no communication. The Director expects a lot from a little. High turn-over rate.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Photos