Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Updated September 19, 2014
3.1

Bright Horizons Family Solutions CEO and Director David H. Lissy
David H. Lissy

Pros
  • Flexibility - hrs, work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• The children and families was the best part of working in this company (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Executive leadership and upper management should reflect your center leadership community (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours since they made you take an hour break (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience!

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Pros

I like that there was taff trainings & professional evaluations. The back up care works with your schedule.

Cons

I don't have any cons

Best in Early Childhood Education

Current Employee - Infant Teacher  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Infant Teacher in Cary, NC

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bright Horizons offers excellent benefits (the employee discount program is really good) and is the best early childhood education facility out there. Teachers are screened very carefully and they all love the children. They promote from within.

Cons

Could use technology better. There seems to be some favoritism shown from the upper management (in regards to promotions). Recently has become more concerned with numbers and new customer acquisition versus customer retention.

Take care of your teachers well and they will take care of the children and the families. Then more will come from recommendations and referrals.

Great Learning Experience!

Former Employee - Resource Teacher  in  Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Resource Teacher in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff are appreciated and friendly to one another through out most of the building. They provide the supplies their teachers need, as well as keep up on the toys, equipment and books. They also have a nutritious and adventurous food plan. They continue your education on the job, and the kids are wonderful!

Cons

Some of the teachers are cliquish, and communication could be better. The pay could be higher, but that's the education field in general. They could be more selective with what they send to the infant wing in terms of food for cleaning purposes.

More meetings with staff, better communication

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked for Bright Horizons as a teacher for Seven years.

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with the children was the best part of the job. Even though we followed a schedule, everyday was different. You're lucky if you are placed in a center with great teachers, and I was. My co-workers and Director were the absolute best. The families were great, and most were very appreciative of what the teachers did everyday for their children. I was sad to leave because these people became like a second family.
    I learned a lot about working with and understanding the young child's overall development.
    The trainings were a big help also. There was always helpful information on what you could do better in the classroom , how to relate to the children and families better, etc.

Cons

The company constantly changes policies and how they want things set up. Pretty much every 3-4 months we were being told that something was going to change. Every time you got used to doing something one way, you had to learn a whole new way to do it.

The majority of the time management came to visit, we were being told what we were doing WRONG-and rarely praised for what we did right yet we would here from substitute teachers that other centers followed none of the guidelines we that we did that were put in place by the company.

It was also very difficult to take time off. If another teacher was scheduled to be out on a day you wanted off you more than likely would not be able to take the time off.

The company makes it very difficult in allowing teachers to enroll their own children into the centers they work in.

Knowing you work hard and go above and beyond what your position asks of you, but you get paid much less than the next person because they hold some sort of certificate or degree and do half of what you do.

Pay your teachers a little more and show more appreciation. Give bonuses once in awhile.
    Allow your teachers' children to enroll in their home centers, you'll lose really great teachers.
    Stop making your center directors lead training sessions. Even though the training sessions are great, they have enough work to do.
    Stop constantly changing your policies.
    Be consistent. Whatever you demand of one center, demand of all.
    Do a better job of screening whom you hire.

Not The Best Experience

Current Employee - Associate Teacher  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

If teaching and working with young children are your passion this is a good place to start and get some experience.

Cons

It's very disorganized, management tells you what you want to hear in order to keep you there, such as yes we want to promote you just as soon as blah blah. There's also a lack of support in the classroom. In a classroom with a number of different personalities, you're bound to have 1-2 children or more with some challenging behaviors who might disrupt everything. Certain times of the day you may need a little extra support in your classroom, don't expect it to happen. You may not even get to use the bathroom depending on the day.

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” Thats what this job makes me feel.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great coworkers
    -Great management
    -Great care
    -Great opportunities
    -Great environment
    -People want you to succeed
    -People want to teach you tricks to make your life easier
    -And of course the children are adorable!

Cons

-The pay isn't that great for the effort that is put in, but truthfully I don't mind taking the pay cut I did to work for such an amazing company

None

Great mission & concept falls short based on hiring practices

Former Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great company that promotes growth from within, and from the start, reminds teachers that they are the heart of the company. Their training and orientation programs are detailed and helped me to understand my job responsibilities more fully. The curriculum is child-centered while allowing the teacher to create fun, engaging themes to incorporate child development. We have the freedom to organize our rooms and incorporate different materials (pending approval, of course). The staff is friendly, and the parents seem to understand the import of the teachers being a vital part in their child's upbringing. Food ain't bad either

Cons

It's purely a case by case scenario, but the center I started at seems to have gone downhill in hiring talented and appropriately educated individuals to fill in the teaching roles. One of the reasons I left was because I have a degree and experience and an overall higher quality of teaching than I felt my cohorts were able to project; I love preschool and toddler rooms because of the constant learning and discovery going on, but at the end of the day, no matter what the pamphlets tell you, you are treated like a glorified babysitter, and while pay is a little higher in the company compared to other daycare centers, I felt it wasn't nearly enough to compensate for the amount of work being given. As I was a high-performing classroom, I often received the troubled and high-needs children, without an increase in pay to reflect my value to the company, and so I left.

If you have a highly valued teacher among your ranks; let them know it. Cards and appreciative gestures are welcome, but at the end of the day, nothing will keep them there without a substantial raise. A few cents isn't going to cut it.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Response

Aug 12, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience did not represent our mission and principles. We value the expertise of our teachers and seek to ensure ... More

Teacher

Current Employee - Toddler Teacher  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Toddler Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, family environment, flexible schedules

Cons

No room for advancement or moving up within the company

Become more appreciative of staff

We Care!

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time for more than a year

Pros

Bright Horizons is a great company! Bright Horizons has great employees! You will participate in great trainings!

Cons

There may not be enough opportunities for advancement within the company! The cleanliness of some centers is questionable!

Visit centers often!

Too much corporate fluff...high stress...quantity over quality

Current Employee - Administrative Team In Division 10
    Current Employee - Administrative Team In Division 10

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions for more than 3 years

Pros

Perks for classroom staff such as staff lounges, over the top accommodations if you become pregnant, depressed, bipolar, or otherwise disabled. Better Together committee raises money so staff can recognize staff.

Cons

Directors not allowed allowed to staff based on children's needs or ratios...centers must be staffed to the minute and are not allowed to staff for bathroom breaks or even a 5 minute mental health breather for teachers now and then...technology does not work like it should and there is no money allowed for repairs...Smartboard at our center sitting out in the open for months to impress parents touring center but what they don't know is it doesn't work and hasn't for months...you hardly ever get the supplies you need...no recognition for managers...little recognition for classroom staff unless it comes from other classroom staff or parents...company gives you a mug or umbrella twice a year but never a thank you or kind word...company requires employees to complete long and tedious surveys many times every year but they never share the real results...if they ever share anything it is only how wonderful everything is and what a terrific company they are but never the real,untouched, unbiased results.

Read the above...it reflects the real opinions of many employees. We all know there is no real anonymity with your surveys.

Worked for Bright Horizons Family Solutions? Contribute to the Community!