BrightRoll

Updated December 10, 2014
4.2

Tod Sacerdoti

Great Company!

I have been working at BrightRoll

Pros

Great company, treat employees incredibly well

Cons

The company is rapidly improving

So sad to leave this company, it's really great!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at BrightRoll full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Recently left upon relocating for family commitments, literally cried the first day I didn't go in to work. (I am not some freaky person who is always like, crying, or who doesn't have any purpose in life outside of their job or whatnot.) Terrific culture and great co-workers who are--from my own perspective--superior as human beings to almost all people I have worked with anywhere else, in addition to being good at their jobs. How is this possible? Part is that we passed on a lot of smart candidates who are not also cooperative and open, and also, in the other direction, such candidates might prefer a different company themselves. Also, young folk who might otherwise develop into punks or turtles in some other environment can look to the senior engineers for a pretty solid example how to be a good teammate.

To be somewhat more concrete, assume that I am not a pain in the a. who hates all people. Then you might share my belief that at most places you work, there will be like 50% of people you are totally cool with at work but you wouldn't normally be friends with otherwise, like you wouldn't have uproarious fun together going out, but as civilized people you can totally work together without problems. There might be like 20% of people who you don't really like but it's no big deal because you don't have to interact much, and 20% of people who you are sort of friends with but they are not like your best friends. Finally, there will be 5% of people who are causing you regular stress and discord, balanced by 5% close friends you can commiserate with. At BrightRoll, assuming that my feelings are reciprocated, I would say it is more like 40% really close friends, 40% reasonable friends, and 20% not so close but totally get along fine (and no antagonists, whether direct or buffered).

Cons

Because of some contingencies about my specific team and role, and some transitions that occurred when our CTO left, I wasn't really able to use my full technical expertise to help the company, and was in many ways blocked from taking on greater technical responsibilities in general. But, as you get older you may become comfortable with not becoming an important person in terms of your career or title (or even, real technical impact) as long as you consider yourself to be doing important work in other ways...in my case I was enabled to focus on personal and professional relationships with my co-workers. If, however, you are still an ambitious career person and want to find your destiny at BrightRoll, it is in fact pretty unlikely that you would find yourself in a similar situation to my own, as we reorganized the teams just after I left, and I was in a pretty anomalous position to begin with.

If you factor in the potential pain of believing that you have some transformative expertise that only like a thousand people in the world have at your level (and you are not some poorly-socialzed academic who is always inventing complicated math models but has no grasp of practical business or how to work with product people or lead a team or talk or run a meeting), and you watch as your peers in this cohort become rich or famous doing revolutionary stuff at other companies, and you still can feel self-actualized and happy every day, then that is in large part a measure of how great people are at this company!

Becoming more like a corporation is a natural consequence of growth and success, but BrightRoll has an opportunity to weed out the aspects of corporate culture that are in fact unnecessary or unproductive, while adopting those that are needed and beneficial. For instance, tightening HR oversight and financial reporting makes sense to me. But just because big companies privilege individuals who are able to build personal working relationships and gain a wide working knowledge of the different departments of the company, it doesn't mean that a larger BrightRoll has to do so, at least not when such connections and knowledge are not the product of an organized plan for open dissemination of information and working relationships, but of personal initiative (or aggression) and monopolistic relationships and communications within self-serving alliances. In short, there may one day be a need to distinguish an "inner circle" of engineers and product people versus silo-specific workers, but movement to this circle should be an open and equal process rather than one that is based on personal demands, interpersonal cartels, or willingness to drop silo responsibilities.

There are better options.

Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BrightRoll full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent Pay and flexible schedule.

Cons

Too many people thinking that they know their job and yours too.

Don't LIE to EDD about someone being laid off and say they quit. You mess with peoples lives and family this way, instead of telling the truth.

Interning at BrightRoll

Current Employee - Product Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BrightRoll as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at BrightRoll is way better than any company I've worked for. People here are very supportive and accessible, no matter what position they're in. I felt very comfortable asking anyone for help for my projects. Also, for people who love food, there's the added bonus of free breakfast Tuesdays and Thursdays and lunch on Wednesdays.

In the beginning, a movie outing and 'Intern Olympics' was organized where a number of employees would go down to the PA office to spend a day with the interns and play ultimate frisbee. These events are indicative of how BrightRoll values a work-life balance and encourages employees to both work hard and have fun.

In terms of pay, BrightRoll compensates very generously for interns. I was paid $45/hour + $2500 living stipend per month.

Cons

I interned here while BrightRoll's product and engineering teams went through a reorganization (which was cool to experience). But that may be a reason why the work I was given was less product management-esque. I came in with the expectation that I'd be able to work directly with engineers and PMs, but instead, I worked on different sorts of projects, like a competitive analysis.

Emphasis on growth, not people

I worked at BrightRoll full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Leader in programmatic video space
    - Culture of smart and friendly people who are eager to work hard and deliver strong results
    - Competitive compensation
    - Strong/good marketplace reputation

Cons

- Unrealistic goals and expectations in place while company pivots to keep up an industry that is going through a dramatic and sudden transition
    - Poor sales and product training
    - Emphasis on getting sale vs. doing what makes most sense to address specific client/advertiser need

Invest more in your people and you will be more successful long-term.

Associate Manager

I have been working at BrightRoll full-time

Pros

fast-paced, smart co-workers, good benefits

Cons

career development and training are still being worked on

Lots of long term potential to win in this space

I have been working at BrightRoll full-time

Pros

A phenomenal culture to be around everyday. Solid work life balance. Some extremely talented individuals at the highest levels of management.

Cons

At a size now where it can be difficult to climb the ranks.

Leading Technology, Winning Team and Fantastic Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BrightRoll full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Talented leadership and people who are passionate about winning
    2. Fast growing company that is the clear technology leader in the category.
    3. Vibrant and highly collaborative culture
    4. Incredibly transparent leadership

Cons

Very few cons. The company is growing quickly. As such it's a dynamic, fast-paced ever-changing environment. If you are looking for predictability and 40 hour weeks, this may not be the company for you.

Keep up the good work. Defend our culture. Maintain clear focus.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Media in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Media in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BrightRoll full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome culture, lots of perks, relaxed and comfortable environment. The people are the best!

Cons

No cons, but scaling has had it's trying moments!

Make sure to invest in middle management.

No complaints

I have been working at BrightRoll full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great perks. Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks you'd ever need. Weekly catered meals and breakfasts from local eateries. Frequent company parties and outings. Fun swag and random office treats.

- Surrounded by people who want to do their best, and not just because they want a promotion. Great environment that really pushes you to go beyond your standard job responsibilities.

- Good work/life balance. Everyone is flexible with WFH. Coworkers love hanging out outside of work.

- Company is in a great position in it's industry

Cons

- For some, ad tech isn't the most exciting industry

- Have to tell your friends and family that your company puts those annoying ads in front of online videos

- Salary could be more competitive in some departments, especially for those who are in the 'trenches' on a day to day basis