BrightRoll Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.2
Tod Sacerdoti

Pros
  • The engineering culture values accuracy over speed, which helps maintain a health work/life balance and keeps turnover extremely low (in 6 reviews)

• Great office in the heart of San Francisco FiDi, fun events, great culture, fair pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons, but scaling has had it's trying moments (in 2 reviews)

• Hang on tight, we are growing fast and the industry is ever evolving (in 2 reviews)

1. Great leadership and great culture

I worked at BrightRoll

Pros

Great culture in a fast growing startup. Transparent and open. Honest and accountable. Friendly environment without shying away from ensuring the right thing gets done. CEO is as down to earth as they come while having an amazingly deep knowledge of the business. This group of people works together and hangs out together and has fun doing it while creating a lot

Cons

Occasional growing pains that are to be expected as a company grows rapidly

Advice to Management

Keep the dual focus on results and culture. It's a valuable and rare combination

Great Company Before Acquisition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BrightRoll full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture with many brilliant, inspiring and fun co-workers Great perks including snacks, massages, lunch every day and breakfast twice a week

Cons

The culture is becoming more corporate and less start-up Less transparency into decisions from the top down Level-setting of existing employees after the acquisition

Not as Bright Anymore

I worked at BrightRoll full-time

Pros

BrightRoll exhibited some of the smartest most driven people in the industry. Not sure how much longer many of them will stick around post acquisition. The company had a great culture that made it easy to be passionate about ad-tech and exciting to be a part of a company and industry that is rapidly growing/changing.

Cons

Huge disconnect between the companies stated values and what is actually valued among senior management. Broken processes, constant re-orgs, too many politics. As the company grew, they became increasingly saturated with people who have a lot to say, but don't actually execute on anything.

Advice to Management

Understand where the bottlenecks are, and prioritize fixing operations and processes. Pay attention to trends in attribution especially when it's concentrated to a specific department or under a certain manager. Reward and recognize talent as and when it's being displayed instead of waiting until it's too late.

Great People, Great Culture, Great Place to Work.

I have been working at BrightRoll full-time

Pros

Everyone is incredibly smart, kind and fun. You can't beat the culture or the environment. The day to day work is challenging, you learn something new everyday, either from being in the progressive programmatic side of the industry or from the incredibly intelligent people around you. It's a company that embodies the work hard play hard motto, in the best way possible.

Cons

As a result of the acquisition, there is currently a lot of change occurring that leaves some unknowns up in the air. The office is also moving towards times sq.

Advice to Management

Keep of much of the BrightRoll spirit, workflow, culture, and people intact as things begin to transition.

Great Everything

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at BrightRoll full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management structure & opportunity for growth within the company. BrightRoll also has had great foresight as to where the company & industry are heading... and acting on it.

Cons

Sometimes the work is too simple and can become boring. NOT applicable to all positions.

Morale is CRAP since Yahoo took over

I worked at BrightRoll

Pros

Was a fun start-up atmosphere, nearly endless budget, lots of free food

Cons

As a contractor, you are certainly aware that you're not an employee -- you're not included on any company events, most meetings. In fact, the team you're working with could be invited out to lunch, and you'll intentionally be left out.

8. Manager

I worked at BrightRoll full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and career opportunities

Cons

The acquisition created a huge clash of cultures

Great people, fun culture, genuine executive team.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BrightRoll full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic young and very smart people who truly care about what they do and believe in the product. The senior executive staff is genuine and cares about its people. Company has since been acquired by Yahoo. Things WILL be changing!

Cons

Lack of processes and maturity around scaling for growth. Many employees were not ready for a maturing company where protocols and processes are important. Now that the Yahoo merger has been finalized, obviously those old small company habits WILL change.

Great Company!

I have been working at BrightRoll

Pros

Great company, treat employees incredibly well

Cons

The company is rapidly improving

So sad to leave this company, it's really great!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at BrightRoll full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recently left upon relocating for family commitments, literally cried the first day I didn't go in to work. (I am not some freaky person who is always like, crying, or who doesn't have any purpose in life outside of their job or whatnot.) Terrific culture and great co-workers who are--from my own perspective--superior as human beings to almost all people I have worked with anywhere else, in addition to being good at their jobs. How is this possible? Part is that we passed on a lot of smart candidates who are not also cooperative and open, and also, in the other direction, such candidates might prefer a different company themselves. Also, young folk who might otherwise develop into punks or turtles in some other environment can look to the senior engineers for a pretty solid example how to be a good teammate. To be somewhat more concrete, assume that I am not a pain in the a. who hates all people. Then you might share my belief that at most places you work, there will be like 50% of people you are totally cool with at work but you wouldn't normally be friends with otherwise, like you wouldn't have uproarious fun together going out, but as civilized people you can totally work together without problems. There might be like 20% of people who you don't really like but it's no big deal because you don't have to interact much, and 20% of people who you are sort of friends with but they are not like your best friends. Finally, there will be 5% of people who are causing you regular stress and discord, balanced by 5% close friends you can commiserate with. At BrightRoll, assuming that my feelings are reciprocated, I would say it is more like 40% really close friends, 40% reasonable friends, and 20% not so close but totally get along fine (and no antagonists, whether direct or buffered).

Cons

Because of some contingencies about my specific team and role, and some transitions that occurred when our CTO left, I wasn't really able to use my full technical expertise to help the company, and was in many ways blocked from taking on greater technical responsibilities in general. But, as you get older you may become comfortable with not becoming an important person in terms of your career or title (or even, real technical impact) as long as you consider yourself to be doing important work in other ways...in my case I was enabled to focus on personal and professional relationships with my co-workers. If, however, you are still an ambitious career person and want to find your destiny at BrightRoll, it is in fact pretty unlikely that you would find yourself in a similar situation to my own, as we reorganized the teams just after I left, and I was in a pretty anomalous position to begin with. If you factor in the potential pain of believing that you have some transformative expertise that only like a thousand people in the world have at your level (and you are not some poorly-socialzed academic who is always inventing complicated math models but has no grasp of practical business or how to work with product people or lead a team or talk or run a meeting), and you watch as your peers in this cohort become rich or famous doing revolutionary stuff at other companies, and you still can feel self-actualized and happy every day, then that is in large part a measure of how great people are at this company!

Advice to Management

Becoming more like a corporation is a natural consequence of growth and success, but BrightRoll has an opportunity to weed out the aspects of corporate culture that are in fact unnecessary or unproductive, while adopting those that are needed and beneficial. For instance, tightening HR oversight and financial reporting makes sense to me. But just because big companies privilege individuals who are able to build personal working relationships and gain a wide working knowledge of the different departments of the company, it doesn't mean that a larger BrightRoll has to do so, at least not when such connections and knowledge are not the product of an organized plan for open dissemination of information and working relationships, but of personal initiative (or aggression) and monopolistic relationships and communications within self-serving alliances. In short, there may one day be a need to distinguish an "inner circle" of engineers and product people versus silo-specific workers, but movement to this circle should be an open and equal process rather than one that is based on personal demands, interpersonal cartels, or willingness to drop silo responsibilities.

RSS Feed </> Embed