BrightStar Care

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.2

Shelly Sun

Pros
  • Some office staff are nice, easy to work with, & will work with you (in 4 reviews)

• Flexibility in making your own hours, paid weekly, independence, someone not looking over your shoulder (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no benefits available (in 8 reviews)

• I did not have a stable schedule over 40 hours until six months after I started working for this company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

By far one of the best Home Health Care companies I've ever worked for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at BrightStar Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, The owners of Brighstar, Mesa are the best! The office staff treat you with respect and work with you to give you all of your hours for the week. Heather is truly an amazing Recruiter!

Cons

Pay is typical of most HH Companies in AZ and No overtime. But, I understand why.

I can not think of any advice to give. Other than if you are looking to work Home Health, Work for Tom at Brightstar in Mesa! :)

Very satisfied with hiring, scheduling, and office staff

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse in Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse in Milford, MA

I have been working at BrightStar Care (less than an year)

Pros

Select your own schedule, hours of work fit lifestyle

Cons

Being reimbursed mileage only when'lead nurse'

Keep up the good work and friendly office staff!

Very demanding job

Current Employee - Branch Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at BrightStar Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary was OK. Health Insurance and PTO were part of the package. It is a franchise system so each location is owned by an independent licensee. Home health is a growing industry with the aging of the population so job should be secure into the future.

Cons

There is never enough time in the day to complete every task. The industry is highly regulated and subject to audits. Expect 70+ hours per week. Changes in health care will squeeze margins and increase risk. Life balance is the reason I left.

Office Staff

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Bonita Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at BrightStar Care

Pros

Up and coming home health care franchise; Relaxed atmosphere; great people to work with

Cons

There needs to be better health care coverage and more bonuses. The pay is average and the career growth is limited. I would need to go back to school to get a nursing degree if I wanted to advance.

Have quarterly bonuses or contribute to 401k plans

An outstanding experience, Eric was great in being on my side to find the right position.

Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN), Home Care in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN), Home Care in Columbus, OH

I have been working at BrightStar Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

BrightStar Care found my resume online, gave me a call and asked if I would be interested in listening to what that had to offer. I was very hesitant at first, I am use to going in and filling out an application and doing the leg work myself, spending time/money/gas going from place to place to find employment. Eric was very professional, listened to my employment stories and placed me in the best position for me. The pay was very competitive and the staff at BrightStar Care and the staff at my temporary job placement were great. When problems would come up with the BrightStar Care client/temporary job placement I would attempt to work it out then communicate it right away with Eric, the went to bat for me. He did what he could to resolve the situation but it must not have been the right fit at that time. Eric spent many moments on the phone with me and others to get me out of the situation and on to another client that really fit with my qualifications and work ethic. After that second placement that client was VERY interested in increasing my hours from the offered PT to FT status and just a few weeks in the client offered me a FT position with them. It was bitter sweet, Eric and his staff at BrightStar Care were great and I hated not working with them anymore but moving on to a permanent position was my intent and it worked out great. Just before I became employed by the client things changed with my babysitter, I had to find a more flexible work schedule or I would have to start looking for a new sitter. I expressed this right away to BrightStar, they got on it! To make a long story short, I am employed by the client AND still with BrightStar Care. I ended up working 26 hours for the client and then taking advantage of the many RN opportunities that BrightStar Care has to offer. If you are not confident and willing to take risks and able to be self motivated then this is not for you. But with my experience, it is nice to be able to manage my own work experience with BrightStar folks who 'get it'. They are a good hub for supplying good medical care for clients who are unable to find good medical care anywhere else, especially in this very competitive job market. I participate in the Humana Care Manager project, infusion project, doing start of cares for home care agencies and look forward to venturing in to the experimental drug project as well. No strings attached and paid every week, can't beat it. So give BrightStar Care a try, it is so worth your time.

Cons

I guess I am suppose to put some cons about BrightStar Care, but at this time I cannot think of any. Communication and staff are great!

Please see my lengthy "pros" section. Eric and Patti have been great at the Northwest Columbus BrightStar location!

Flexibility galore

Former Employee - Nursing Assistant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Nursing Assistant in Madison, WI

I worked at BrightStar Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The ability to pick your hours was fantastic!!!

Cons

Sometimes they send you to people's homes without a lot of updated information on the individual. But in general, the clients can explain their needs to you

Fantastic plan for employees to remain flexible.

Awful Management: Cranberry location

I worked at BrightStar Care

Pros

"Weekly pay" not so weekly or on time.

Cons

Horrible management, managers lie, give out private information

Youre even worse.

DON

I have been working at BrightStar Care

Pros

Corporate Goals are attainable with owner support. Lots of opportunity to develop strong leadership skills. Fast paced, Joint Commissioned Accredited Home Care Agency requiring lots of commitment to help grow the business for the franchise owner.

Cons

Blending business philosophies with delivery of "safe practice" medicine is challenging with an owner that doesn't understand the responsibilities of role of the DON. Owner requires 24 hr, 7 days/weekaccountability for low salary and 1 week paid vacation per year. No benefits and poor flexibilty. Lack of respect for DON input in staffing decision, especially in skilled nursing cases.

Use on boarding kit from corporate to supplement DON Boot Camp. Support your DON in matters that are medical and require Nursing expertise. We are good at what we do.

Not A Good First Choice

Current Employee - Aide in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Aide in Columbus, OH

I have been working at BrightStar Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only thing worth going to work for is the clients who are very sweet

Cons

terrible management,terrible scheduling wont give people enough hours to support yourself

Difficult company if you are looking for steady work.

Current Employee - CNA in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - CNA in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BrightStar Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Independence, A friendly office staff that wants to help as much as possible, I specifically know that it is difficult to be fired from this job, because I have been told by office staff on several occasions that they try not to fire people even if they are lazy, because they don't want to pay them unemployment. Great if you already have another job, and just want to pick up extra hours. Basically you work and fax in your time sheet, and never have to talk to anyone at the office.

Cons

Very difficult to find steady work!!! I did not have a stable schedule over 40 hours until six months after I started working for this company. Benefits are non-existent. Company policy is to give a 0.25 cent raise every year to employees who work as CNA/HHA. I was kinda frustrated with how little this was since the starting salary is 9.50....very low for this kind of work.

Have more set shift hours.

BrightStar Care Photos