Brightedge Technologies

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014

Brightedge Technologies Founder & CEO Jim Yu
Jim Yu

Pros
  • We have the best product in this space and our engineering team rocks (in 7 reviews)

• Selling best in class digital marketing technology makes it a great sales process and fantastic opportunity to exceed goal / ramp my commissions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant stress and lack of work-life balance make it almost unbearable (in 4 reviews)

• Be prepared for not receiving any credit for all your hard work, and being asked to do more and more (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Most talented group of professionals I've ever worked with.

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced. Talented co-workers. Trainings every 6 months. Meritocracy. Short product release cycle that ensures there's always a lot to talk to clients about.

Cons

Some lack of management transparency. Expect long work hours no matter the role (they are transparent about this). Do not expect a lot of hand-holding or pat-on-the-backs for small tasks well done (this is a positive for some, not so much for others).

Maintain start-up culture for as long as possible - open work environment, open forums, transparency w.r.t. to how well the company is doing and what we're doing to improve. Focus on the employees and their growth more through focused trainings, exposure to industry conferences, individual success plans, knowledge shares, team offsites, etc.

Think twenty times before you join

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are gracious, hard working and diligent. They are glad to help you if you ask. There is trust in you to solve hard and challenging problems. If you can prove your ability, you can even choose what to work on and what not to. No need to talk, talk, talk. Just get the work done and you are good and solid. You have to learn a lot to survive here no matter what.

Cons

Get the work done here is not easy. Can you work long hours? Think about 70 hours per week. Think about doing this one year. Think really hard whether you can. Think about running back to your computer 10 mins before your movie Saturday night. Think about doing this over and over again. Think about working on Friday night, public holidays, your anniversary night or your birthday night. Think about the opportunity cost. You can spend 40 hours on the work and the other 30 hours on anything else meaningful to you in another company. If you are gonna spend the 30 hours on TV or video games, maybe this place is a better choice to spend your time. If not, think about your choice. Finally, think about what the culture would be after I mentioned all of this. Everyone is nice, but you could still feel frustrated, helpless and desperate. Because there is a guy who stays with you no matter when you are at the office. His name is Company Culture, who is the really bad guy. He can force you to do tons of things you do not want to. He can make you cry at 2am when you are the only one at office. But you cannot argue with him neither fight him. No one can fix him in the whole company. Maybe you think you are tough. Think twice.

Don't think there is anything you need to change actually. There are ppl who can survive and who cannot. Hire the right ones. Leave the normal people alone.

Excellent Company for High Achievers

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BrightEdge is the top company in it's industry and for good reason - the talent here is top notch. If you are a talented, driven individual and get the chance to work here, you will fit right in. Benefits, pay and ability to contribute to a thriving start up are all great parts of working at BrightEdge. Awesome environment!

Cons

Lead, follow or get out of the way. If you aren't prepared to contribute and pull your weight, BrightEdge isn't for you. There is no room for those looking to sit back and just earn a paycheck. Work life balance is a bit off, but it's going to be that way for any fast moving startup.

A few kinks to be worked out operationally being a startup focused on growth, more efficient processes could be developed but I"m sure those are in the works and will only get better.

Fear and loathing in San Mateo

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time

Pros

Great tech, wrapped up with strong client service & support
    Humble and talented colleagues (not management, with a couple of exceptions)

Cons

Oh, my. What a corrosive, iron-fist culture.

Employees are treated like commodities, with the exception of a few pet favorites. Constant hectoring and un-constructive criticism. Some of the managers should never have been given headcount- I can name a handful of full-blown sociopaths.

Won't waste my breath as it won't be listened to.

'Thumbs up' for negative reviews for a year -- avoid this company, if you have family, kids, dogs or someone you love.

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you can work everyday 16 hours or more including weekends, it could be a good place for you to be.

Cons

If you are a new grad with F-1, think twice to work at BrightEdge, because you almost can not find time to prepare your next interview. Think about coming back home 11pm and start reading careercup or leetcode. Top engineers can escape from this company instead of staying there.

There are people in this company getting married in the morning and come to work in the afternoon.

Be cautious, there are fake positive reviews as pointed out by other reviewers.

Think about why people leave negative comment here, even though, some of them already left.

Stop asking people to give 4~5 rating. I rated BrightEdge 'Very Dissatisfied', because I am.

Not what it appears to be on the outside

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some people are really smart and work really hard, and are ultimately overworked. Great customer brands. Pay was decent.

Cons

Forget about the free lunch on Friday and the snacks, because that's not the reason to go work for a company. This is a company for those who follow the status quo and don't want to shake things up. If you have any new ideas about doing things differently, this is not the place for new ideas. The turnover is constant, and thus putting more work on the people left. Be prepared for not receiving any credit for all your hard work, and being asked to do more and more. After working for other start-ups, this is by far the most difficult. Expectations are always changing, and that's because they are not communicated effectively in the first place. Accountability in upper management to be leaders by example and manage appropriately isn't a strength of this company.

Not everyone is a college graduate and needs to be micromanaged. The company would benefit more if you treat people with years of work experience with more respect. Great leaders embrace the talent and encourage new ideas.

The worst experience ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really have nothing positive to say.

Cons

They don't care about their employees - expect you to have no home life, the only people who are promoted are those who are happy selling their soul to the company.
    The managers are not trained at how to manage people, college grads with no idea on how to treat people, no support just intimidation tactics.
    They talk about promoting quickly for those who show the drive, the ground sales guys are manipulated into thinking they will be an account exec role within no time - this doesn't happen. They take advantage of young college grads who have no previous work experience and no idea of exactly how badly they are being treated, fed rubbish about the company being the best technology, no competition, best company to work for - It really is very sad upon reflection.

Get some training in how to treat people.

Ask, Execute and Be Rewarded.

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been at BrightEdge for about a year, and have truly grown as a young professional. Since joining, I've sharpened my professional skills: analytical, sales and communication. Management invests heavily in professional development, and these are all skills will translate into future careers and sectors. Management is open and outlines its expectations on steps to achieve success. Ask, execute, and you will be rewarded. BrightEdge is a wonderful place for mid-level employees to take their career to the next level. Not to mention- compensation and benefits packages are competitive.

The New York office has ~30 people, and we all carry a work hard-play hard mentality. Love our catered meals, happy hours, and off site activities. My colleagues have become an extended family!

Cons

Typical of any start up, the days can be long. However, my manager never questions when I ask for a day off, or need to leave a little early for any commitments. The flexibility gives me autonomy over how I manage my time. Plus- if we stay late together, I get fed. :)

Communicate wins across the company- we have many reasons to celebrate, I'd love to hear them all!

Being Recognized and Rewarded for Hard Work Feels Good ...

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Before working at BrightEdge I was a client and became familiar with the company in early 2010. Having done SEO for over 8 years before joining the BrightEdge team, I realized how valuable the technology was to my role and achieving success. Once BrightEdge opened the New York office I jumped at the opportunity to join the team and evangelize a product I was passionate about.

The past 2 years I have worked harder than I have ever worked in my career and it's been recognized and rewarded by senior management. I'v been able to grow personally and professionally while truly loving what I do. My colleagues are some of the smartest, funniest, passionate and hard working people I have ever worked with; they are not just my co-workers but my family and friends. My client's are engaged and continue to see value in the technology and the service I provide; they never miss an opportunity to thank me for the work I do for them, which drives me to do more.

In addition to cabinets stocked with snacks, the New York office also has catered weekly lunches, monthly breakfasts and hosted team outings. We've done karaoke, happy hours, team building events, picnics, dinners and even the Citi Field Spartan Race.

Cons

BrightEdge is a well-funded start-up, but a start-up nonetheless, which means long days and a lot of work. This often makes it difficult to find a work life balance all of the time, but once you adapt to the culture the balance gets better.

Keep innovating the technology and investing in your employees and sky is the limit!

Top startup, but you gotta have game

Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Aggressive management that wants to win. "It's easy to lose money and make mediocre products."
    Data driven and low ego.
    Sales division well organized and disciplined.
    Good company values.
    The company has already beaten the odds to get to this revenue level and earned its position as SEO market leader.

Cons

Growing fast and adding people fast so the parking space is tight, but that's a good sign.

Keep it up and let's grow big.

Brightedge Technologies Photos