Brightedge Technologies

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014

Brightedge Technologies Founder & CEO Jim Yu
Jim Yu

Pros
  • We have the best product in this space and our engineering team rocks (in 7 reviews)

• Selling best in class digital marketing technology makes it a great sales process and fantastic opportunity to exceed goal / ramp my commissions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant stress and lack of work-life balance make it almost unbearable (in 4 reviews)

• Be prepared for not receiving any credit for all your hard work, and being asked to do more and more (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company for High Achievers

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BrightEdge is the top company in it's industry and for good reason - the talent here is top notch. If you are a talented, driven individual and get the chance to work here, you will fit right in. Benefits, pay and ability to contribute to a thriving start up are all great parts of working at BrightEdge. Awesome environment!

Cons

Lead, follow or get out of the way. If you aren't prepared to contribute and pull your weight, BrightEdge isn't for you. There is no room for those looking to sit back and just earn a paycheck. Work life balance is a bit off, but it's going to be that way for any fast moving startup.

A few kinks to be worked out operationally being a startup focused on growth, more efficient processes could be developed but I"m sure those are in the works and will only get better.

'Thumbs up' for negative reviews for a year -- avoid this company, if you have family, kids, dogs or someone you love.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you can work everyday 16 hours or more including weekends, it could be a good place for you to be.

Cons

If you are a new grad with F-1, think twice to work at BrightEdge, because you almost can not find time to prepare your next interview. Think about coming back home 11pm and start reading careercup or leetcode. Top engineers can escape from this company instead of staying there.

There are people in this company getting married in the morning and come to work in the afternoon.

Be cautious, there are fake positive reviews as pointed out by other reviewers.

Think about why people leave negative comment here, even though, some of them already left.

Stop asking people to give 4~5 rating. I rated BrightEdge 'Very Dissatisfied', because I am.

Not what it appears to be on the outside

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some people are really smart and work really hard, and are ultimately overworked. Great customer brands. Pay was decent.

Cons

Forget about the free lunch on Friday and the snacks, because that's not the reason to go work for a company. This is a company for those who follow the status quo and don't want to shake things up. If you have any new ideas about doing things differently, this is not the place for new ideas. The turnover is constant, and thus putting more work on the people left. Be prepared for not receiving any credit for all your hard work, and being asked to do more and more. After working for other start-ups, this is by far the most difficult. Expectations are always changing, and that's because they are not communicated effectively in the first place. Accountability in upper management to be leaders by example and manage appropriately isn't a strength of this company.

Not everyone is a college graduate and needs to be micromanaged. The company would benefit more if you treat people with years of work experience with more respect. Great leaders embrace the talent and encourage new ideas.

The worst experience ever

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really have nothing positive to say.

Cons

They don't care about their employees - expect you to have no home life, the only people who are promoted are those who are happy selling their soul to the company.
    The managers are not trained at how to manage people, college grads with no idea on how to treat people, no support just intimidation tactics.
    They talk about promoting quickly for those who show the drive, the ground sales guys are manipulated into thinking they will be an account exec role within no time - this doesn't happen. They take advantage of young college grads who have no previous work experience and no idea of exactly how badly they are being treated, fed rubbish about the company being the best technology, no competition, best company to work for - It really is very sad upon reflection.

Get some training in how to treat people.

Ask, Execute and Be Rewarded.

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been at BrightEdge for about a year, and have truly grown as a young professional. Since joining, I've sharpened my professional skills: analytical, sales and communication. Management invests heavily in professional development, and these are all skills will translate into future careers and sectors. Management is open and outlines its expectations on steps to achieve success. Ask, execute, and you will be rewarded. BrightEdge is a wonderful place for mid-level employees to take their career to the next level. Not to mention- compensation and benefits packages are competitive.

The New York office has ~30 people, and we all carry a work hard-play hard mentality. Love our catered meals, happy hours, and off site activities. My colleagues have become an extended family!

Cons

Typical of any start up, the days can be long. However, my manager never questions when I ask for a day off, or need to leave a little early for any commitments. The flexibility gives me autonomy over how I manage my time. Plus- if we stay late together, I get fed. :)

Communicate wins across the company- we have many reasons to celebrate, I'd love to hear them all!

Being Recognized and Rewarded for Hard Work Feels Good ...

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Before working at BrightEdge I was a client and became familiar with the company in early 2010. Having done SEO for over 8 years before joining the BrightEdge team, I realized how valuable the technology was to my role and achieving success. Once BrightEdge opened the New York office I jumped at the opportunity to join the team and evangelize a product I was passionate about.

The past 2 years I have worked harder than I have ever worked in my career and it's been recognized and rewarded by senior management. I'v been able to grow personally and professionally while truly loving what I do. My colleagues are some of the smartest, funniest, passionate and hard working people I have ever worked with; they are not just my co-workers but my family and friends. My client's are engaged and continue to see value in the technology and the service I provide; they never miss an opportunity to thank me for the work I do for them, which drives me to do more.

In addition to cabinets stocked with snacks, the New York office also has catered weekly lunches, monthly breakfasts and hosted team outings. We've done karaoke, happy hours, team building events, picnics, dinners and even the Citi Field Spartan Race.

Cons

BrightEdge is a well-funded start-up, but a start-up nonetheless, which means long days and a lot of work. This often makes it difficult to find a work life balance all of the time, but once you adapt to the culture the balance gets better.

Keep innovating the technology and investing in your employees and sky is the limit!

Top startup, but you gotta have game

Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Aggressive management that wants to win. "It's easy to lose money and make mediocre products."
    Data driven and low ego.
    Sales division well organized and disciplined.
    Good company values.
    The company has already beaten the odds to get to this revenue level and earned its position as SEO market leader.

Cons

Growing fast and adding people fast so the parking space is tight, but that's a good sign.

Keep it up and let's grow big.

Unorganized and Unprofessional Hiring

Former Employee - Web Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people for sure! Nice working environment in general and up-to-date offices with plenty of features.

Cons

Very unorganized IT/HR department.
    I moved thousands of miles for a position doing some web work at Brightedge after some really positive interviews. After I got there I was told by my boss that he only knew about me coming in 2 days ahead of time, and because of this had nothing ready. This was the first sign of trouble.

It took over a week just to get some basic read-only access for their Git server, and even when I was given this all the files were extremely outdated. I had to bug IT almost daily trying to get current files to work with. They would give me one little piece of info to try each time, and every time it didn't work, so I had to reschedule another appointment with IT again and wait a whole day to do anything.

On top of the IT issue, the 2 bosses I had were very bad at communicating between each other and I often had to repeat myself multiple times or have to answer the same questions over and over. They had me doing odd documentation tasks instead of the work I was there for, which was web development. As many times as I told them about the IT issues, they seemed to think it was my fault that nothing was getting done.. even though they wouldn't even give me access to the files.

Essentially their IT department was too busy to deal with me and didn't even bother giving me the credentials to start really working. Because of the lack of progress due to the IT department restricting my work, I was let go.

If you're going to have someone fly from coast to coast to join your company, make sure the people who will be working with them know about it. The internal IT issues are another matter entirely. Maybe they are overworked and don't have time for some people, or just don't care, but there was a huge problem with knowledge there. No one seemed to know exactly what was going on, which was part of my struggle.

The Positive Reviews Are Accurate Too - Awesome Place To Sell Just Got Better

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been an Account Executive here for almost a year and this Is an awesome place to sell. The tech is by far the best in the space (hard not to love that) but almost more importantly the management team has rolled out another, in a series, of awards to reward people for success. We have Club in Maui, quarterly accelerators, sales training from best in class third party trainers, 1-1 EBR to AE ratio, monthly Vegas trips for demand gen so that team is pumped up (very important), monthly spiff for mid month AE achievement, unlimited management support and now we just got a second half of year accelerator. Say what will you will about management being focused on outcomes; the outcome I just got is a much bigger commission check! seriously, these are a lot of rewards that most companies don't offer.

Cons

This is not actually a con - this is more of a heads up. Management expects you to produce - that is why we have all of these rewards that I have never heard of at another company. Like many companies, this is a great place for people who are high achievers and not fun if you are not. In four years the company is the clear leader in a very competitive space; that is a position that does not come without a lot of hard work.

You have done a great job making people feel rewarded - keep doing it! The more people you make feel good, the more people will want to join and get in on the action!

Negative reviews are very accurate--make sure to read all.

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The NYC office is a neat space, free lunch on Thursdays.

Cons

I cannot stress enough to go through and read the negative reviews on here because for the most part they are extremeley accurate. Culture is set from the top down, and having worked there for a little over three months it became clear that upper management does not really care about fostering a healthy working environment that values teamwork, shared successes or any of the values that create happy employees. If you invest in your people, don't treat them like they are a number on a spread sheet, they will work hard for you. It's simple MGMT 101.

If you have worked anywhere else, make sure that you think it through carefully before accepting the job. It is a very sharp elbows, clique and gossipy environment, especially the NYC office.

Lastly, it is great to boast you have the best technology but when your employees are bitter, miserable and resigning at alarming numbers, it does not matter how great the product is.

Invest in people, culture and empowering your employees through proper management.

Brightedge Technologies Photos