Brightedge Technologies

Brightedge Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Brightedge Technologies Founder & CEO Jim Yu

Jim Yu

Pros
  • We have the best product in this space and our engineering team rocks(in 7 reviews)

• Selling best in class digital marketing technology makes it a great sales process and fantastic opportunity to exceed goal / ramp my commissions(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • hard work focused on great opportunities so it is well worth it(in 5 reviews)

• Like many companies, this is a great place for people who are high achievers and not fun if you are not(in 4 reviews)

The Positive Reviews Are Accurate Too - Awesome Place To Sell Just Got Better

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsI have been an Account Executive here for almost a year and this Is an awesome place to sell. The tech is by far the best in the space (hard not to love that) but almost more importantly the management team has rolled out another, in a series, of awards to reward people for success. We have Club in Maui, quarterly accelerators, sales training from best in class third party trainers, 1-1 EBR to AE ratio, monthly Vegas trips for demand gen so that team is pumped up (very important), monthly spiff for mid month AE achievement, unlimited management support and now we just got a second half of year accelerator. Say what will you will about management being focused on outcomes; the outcome I just got is a much bigger commission check! seriously, these are a lot of rewards that most companies don't offer.

ConsThis is not actually a con - this is more of a heads up. Management expects you to produce - that is why we have all of these rewards that I have never heard of at another company. Like many companies, this is a great place for people who are high achievers and not fun if you are not. In four years the company is the clear leader in a very competitive space; that is a position that does not come without a lot of hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have done a great job making people feel rewarded - keep doing it! The more people you make feel good, the more people will want to join and get in on the action!

Negative reviews are very accurate--make sure to read all.

Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe NYC office is a neat space, free lunch on Thursdays.

ConsI cannot stress enough to go through and read the negative reviews on here because for the most part they are extremeley accurate. Culture is set from the top down, and having worked there for a little over three months it became clear that upper management does not really care about fostering a healthy working environment that values teamwork, shared successes or any of the values that create happy employees. If you invest in your people, don't treat them like they are a number on a spread sheet, they will work hard for you. It's simple MGMT 101.

If you have worked anywhere else, make sure that you think it through carefully before accepting the job. It is a very sharp elbows, clique and gossipy environment, especially the NYC office.

Lastly, it is great to boast you have the best technology but when your employees are bitter, miserable and resigning at alarming numbers, it does not matter how great the product is.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people, culture and empowering your employees through proper management.

CMO writes the fake, positive reviews on this site

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsSale cycle is quick for an enterprise software product

Cons1) CEO does not care about the employees. All he cares about is being a market leader, making sales, and setting up for a big exit
    2) CMO was a joke. He also told new employees to post fake positive reviews on this site.
    3) they bring in good talent but have a BIG turnover rate which is never a good sign

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The opportunity is yours to take

Pros-Platform is the distinct leader in the SEO space. Our competitors are 10 steps behind at best.
    -Career opportunities are through the roof. This company will make your career in a short period of time if you are willing to put in the effort.
    -Management is extremely accessible and supportive.
    -Initial training class when you come on board is bar none. 2 weeks of total immersion in both classroom and practical environment.
    -Company is not afraid to spend on good employees.

Cons-Snacks could be a little more diverse.
    -Typical growing pains you would expect to see at any start up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! As we continue to grow do not forget the core values that are making this company a phenomenal place to work.

The negative reviews are accurate

Enterprise Business Representative (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsI will say this for BrightEdge, they do a fabulous job recruiting cool, talented, intelligent people.

Their marketing machine is powerful.

ConsRead the following review with the knowledge that when I started at BrightEdge the CMO asked me to write a favorable review on my first day, which I naively did. Now reading the other positive reviews they strike me as quite similar to my own early, misleading review.

Although the people are incredible, the executives set the tone and culture for the company which is why BrightEdge has horrible and ongoing problems with employee attrition, internal unrest and dissatisfaction. It seemed like the entry level people had it the hardest and were treated the worst, but even mid-level executives were struggling with the culture shock and difficulty of maintaining a healthy work life.

Transparency and fairness were HUGELY lacking. I can see this with greater perspective now that I'm out of the BrightEdge Marketing Distortion Field, but employees are consistently mislead and even lied to. They are even lied to about their own product which causes them to lie during the sales process, whether they know it or not.

One comment I see quite often on these boards is that BrightEdge has the best technology. They don't. There are numerous other platforms and SEO technology that best them in many areas.

The number one issue with BrightEdge are the 3 top executives who are brazenly driving towards an exit. It's common in Silicon Valley, but not to the extent where it makes everyone around them miserable. They are not a class act.

Super growth company that gives you an opportunity to move up on your own merit

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsTerrific SEO training. Fun and energetic environment. Good smart dedicated people. You can accelerate through your own merit.

ConsA bit of a challenge commuting if not in the San Mateo area though pretty comparable facilities as with other valley companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring more experienced people to round out the ranks and add to an already stellar team.

Great job and company with loads of opportunity.

Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat product and management. This is a great opportunity to be part of a great company can grow into a dominant SAAS provider. very flat manage with everyone having a chance to contribute. The technology is the best in SEO and we continue to grow our lead.

ConsLike any start up the work load is heavy. The culture is to take action today. It's not a good place if you are just planning on showing up. You need to be on every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep continuing to grow and put the process in place to become a dominant SAAS player.

Good Opportunity to learn & work with bright individuals & big brand names

(Current Employee)

ProsGood SEO training, company invests in employee development, best SEO platform out there, fast-paced, company is growing fast, great happy hours, bright office, kitchen well stocked, companies hires top notch employees, flexible.

ConsDirection for employees in some departments has room for improvement, commute for employees who do not live in San Mateo is a challenge as company has outgrown the parking lot and the office is not near public transportation. The number of stock options allocated to employees who are not VPs are low compared to other valley start-ups.

Excellent place to grow with an amazing company.

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

Pros- Fast growth
    - Smart people
    - Best in class technology
    - Good compensation
    - Fun teams

Cons- Can't think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on developing an amazing company and grow the

Not what you think it is.

Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsFrom a technology perspective, BrightEdge has done a good job of positioning itself as a leader in the SEO space.

ConsDespite an exciting product in a dynamic space, BrightEdge is not the place for you if you want to be treated with respect, be heard, have an opinion, or a work style that is anything other that what they want.

Simply put, BrightEdge is so absolutely convinced that their model and their management style is right, that they are blind to their many problems- not the least of which is major employee turnover and burnout. Where they have been successful in retaining talent is with young, first time job seekers who don't know better. What is most alarming however, is the iron fist, bullying management style. Intimidation, glares, dirty looks and yelling are a regular occurrence at BrightEdge. You don't get lasting success and motivated employees in an oppressive environment. It's simple management 101- treat people well, and they will stay and perform.

I cannot stress enough to job seekers that if you have more than 5 years work experience in any industry, in any company, large or small- BrightEdge is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time looking inward, learn to respect your employees not bully them, and understand why your employee churn is so great.

Worked for Brightedge Technologies? Contribute to the Community!