Brightedge Technologies Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.3

Brightedge Technologies Founder & CEO Jim Yu
Jim Yu

Pros
  • We have the best product in this space and our engineering team rocks (in 7 reviews)

• Selling best in class digital marketing technology makes it a great sales process and fantastic opportunity to exceed goal / ramp my commissions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • hard work focused on great opportunities so it is well worth it (in 5 reviews)

• Like many companies, this is a great place for people who are high achievers and not fun if you are not (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Ask, Execute and Be Rewarded.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at BrightEdge for about a year, and have truly grown as a young professional. Since joining, I've sharpened my professional skills: analytical, sales and communication. Management invests heavily in professional development, and these are all skills will translate into future careers and sectors. Management is open and outlines its expectations on steps to achieve success. Ask, execute, and you will be rewarded. BrightEdge is a wonderful place for mid-level employees to take their career to the next level. Not to mention- compensation and benefits packages are competitive.

The New York office has ~30 people, and we all carry a work hard-play hard mentality. Love our catered meals, happy hours, and off site activities. My colleagues have become an extended family!

Cons

Typical of any start up, the days can be long. However, my manager never questions when I ask for a day off, or need to leave a little early for any commitments. The flexibility gives me autonomy over how I manage my time. Plus- if we stay late together, I get fed. :)

Communicate wins across the company- we have many reasons to celebrate, I'd love to hear them all!

Being Recognized and Rewarded for Hard Work Feels Good ...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Before working at BrightEdge I was a client and became familiar with the company in early 2010. Having done SEO for over 8 years before joining the BrightEdge team, I realized how valuable the technology was to my role and achieving success. Once BrightEdge opened the New York office I jumped at the opportunity to join the team and evangelize a product I was passionate about.

The past 2 years I have worked harder than I have ever worked in my career and it's been recognized and rewarded by senior management. I'v been able to grow personally and professionally while truly loving what I do. My colleagues are some of the smartest, funniest, passionate and hard working people I have ever worked with; they are not just my co-workers but my family and friends. My client's are engaged and continue to see value in the technology and the service I provide; they never miss an opportunity to thank me for the work I do for them, which drives me to do more.

In addition to cabinets stocked with snacks, the New York office also has catered weekly lunches, monthly breakfasts and hosted team outings. We've done karaoke, happy hours, team building events, picnics, dinners and even the Citi Field Spartan Race.

Cons

BrightEdge is a well-funded start-up, but a start-up nonetheless, which means long days and a lot of work. This often makes it difficult to find a work life balance all of the time, but once you adapt to the culture the balance gets better.

Keep innovating the technology and investing in your employees and sky is the limit!

Top startup, but you gotta have game

Current Employee - Marketing  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Aggressive management that wants to win. "It's easy to lose money and make mediocre products."
    Data driven and low ego.
    Sales division well organized and disciplined.
    Good company values.
    The company has already beaten the odds to get to this revenue level and earned its position as SEO market leader.

Cons

Growing fast and adding people fast so the parking space is tight, but that's a good sign.

Keep it up and let's grow big.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Positive Reviews Are Accurate Too - Awesome Place To Sell Just Got Better

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been an Account Executive here for almost a year and this Is an awesome place to sell. The tech is by far the best in the space (hard not to love that) but almost more importantly the management team has rolled out another, in a series, of awards to reward people for success. We have Club in Maui, quarterly accelerators, sales training from best in class third party trainers, 1-1 EBR to AE ratio, monthly Vegas trips for demand gen so that team is pumped up (very important), monthly spiff for mid month AE achievement, unlimited management support and now we just got a second half of year accelerator. Say what will you will about management being focused on outcomes; the outcome I just got is a much bigger commission check! seriously, these are a lot of rewards that most companies don't offer.

Cons

This is not actually a con - this is more of a heads up. Management expects you to produce - that is why we have all of these rewards that I have never heard of at another company. Like many companies, this is a great place for people who are high achievers and not fun if you are not. In four years the company is the clear leader in a very competitive space; that is a position that does not come without a lot of hard work.

You have done a great job making people feel rewarded - keep doing it! The more people you make feel good, the more people will want to join and get in on the action!

Unorganized and Unprofessional Hiring

Former Employee - Web Developer  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people for sure! Nice working environment in general and up-to-date offices with plenty of features.

Cons

Very unorganized IT/HR department.
    I moved thousands of miles for a position doing some web work at Brightedge after some really positive interviews. After I got there I was told by my boss that he only knew about me coming in 2 days ahead of time, and because of this had nothing ready. This was the first sign of trouble.

It took over a week just to get some basic read-only access for their Git server, and even when I was given this all the files were extremely outdated. I had to bug IT almost daily trying to get current files to work with. They would give me one little piece of info to try each time, and every time it didn't work, so I had to reschedule another appointment with IT again and wait a whole day to do anything.

On top of the IT issue, the 2 bosses I had were very bad at communicating between each other and I often had to repeat myself multiple times or have to answer the same questions over and over. They had me doing odd documentation tasks instead of the work I was there for, which was web development. As many times as I told them about the IT issues, they seemed to think it was my fault that nothing was getting done.. even though they wouldn't even give me access to the files.

Essentially their IT department was too busy to deal with me and didn't even bother giving me the credentials to start really working. Because of the lack of progress due to the IT department restricting my work, I was let go.

If you're going to have someone fly from coast to coast to join your company, make sure the people who will be working with them know about it. The internal IT issues are another matter entirely. Maybe they are overworked and don't have time for some people, or just don't care, but there was a huge problem with knowledge there. No one seemed to know exactly what was going on, which was part of my struggle.

Negative reviews are very accurate--make sure to read all.

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

The NYC office is a neat space, free lunch on Thursdays.

Cons

I cannot stress enough to go through and read the negative reviews on here because for the most part they are extremeley accurate. Culture is set from the top down, and having worked there for a little over three months it became clear that upper management does not really care about fostering a healthy working environment that values teamwork, shared successes or any of the values that create happy employees. If you invest in your people, don't treat them like they are a number on a spread sheet, they will work hard for you. It's simple MGMT 101.

If you have worked anywhere else, make sure that you think it through carefully before accepting the job. It is a very sharp elbows, clique and gossipy environment, especially the NYC office.

Lastly, it is great to boast you have the best technology but when your employees are bitter, miserable and resigning at alarming numbers, it does not matter how great the product is.

Invest in people, culture and empowering your employees through proper management.

Worst company Ever!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good snacks
    Agressive mindset
    Will win against competitors

Cons

- Too much office politics
    - It is like a call center
    - Micro-managed
    - Everyone thinks they are too smart
    - Long work hours
    - CEO often reads emails to clients - That is insane
    - They keep talking about competitors even when they are not really better

CMO writes the fake, positive reviews on this site

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Brightedge Technologies

Pros

Sale cycle is quick for an enterprise software product

Cons

1) CEO does not care about the employees. All he cares about is being a market leader, making sales, and setting up for a big exit
    2) CMO was a joke. He also told new employees to post fake positive reviews on this site.
    3) they bring in good talent but have a BIG turnover rate which is never a good sign

Treat employees better

The negative reviews are accurate

Former Employee - Enterprise Business Representative  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Business Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I will say this for BrightEdge, they do a fabulous job recruiting cool, talented, intelligent people.

Their marketing machine is powerful.

Cons

Read the following review with the knowledge that when I started at BrightEdge the CMO asked me to write a favorable review on my first day, which I naively did. Now reading the other positive reviews they strike me as quite similar to my own early, misleading review.

Although the people are incredible, the executives set the tone and culture for the company which is why BrightEdge has horrible and ongoing problems with employee attrition, internal unrest and dissatisfaction. It seemed like the entry level people had it the hardest and were treated the worst, but even mid-level executives were struggling with the culture shock and difficulty of maintaining a healthy work life.

Transparency and fairness were HUGELY lacking. I can see this with greater perspective now that I'm out of the BrightEdge Marketing Distortion Field, but employees are consistently mislead and even lied to. They are even lied to about their own product which causes them to lie during the sales process, whether they know it or not.

One comment I see quite often on these boards is that BrightEdge has the best technology. They don't. There are numerous other platforms and SEO technology that best them in many areas.

The number one issue with BrightEdge are the 3 top executives who are brazenly driving towards an exit. It's common in Silicon Valley, but not to the extent where it makes everyone around them miserable. They are not a class act.

The opportunity is yours to take

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Platform is the distinct leader in the SEO space. Our competitors are 10 steps behind at best.
    -Career opportunities are through the roof. This company will make your career in a short period of time if you are willing to put in the effort.
    -Management is extremely accessible and supportive.
    -Initial training class when you come on board is bar none. 2 weeks of total immersion in both classroom and practical environment.
    -Company is not afraid to spend on good employees.

Cons

-Snacks could be a little more diverse.
    -Typical growing pains you would expect to see at any start up.

Keep up the good work! As we continue to grow do not forget the core values that are making this company a phenomenal place to work.

Worked for Brightedge Technologies? Contribute to the Community!