Brightedge Technologies Reviews

92 reviews filtered by
3.3
Brightedge Technologies Founder & CEO Jim Yu
Jim Yu

Pros
  • We have the best product in this space and our engineering team rocks (in 7 reviews)

• Selling best in class digital marketing technology makes it a great sales process and fantastic opportunity to exceed goal / ramp my commissions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant stress and lack of work-life balance make it almost unbearable (in 5 reviews)

• Be prepared for not receiving any credit for all your hard work, and being asked to do more and more (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Work Environment - Fun, Energetic and Inspiring"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love being a part of BrightEdge! I have worked at all types and sizes of companies in Silicon Valley and I can honestly say this is my most fun, challenging and rewarding company to date. The leadership team is not only committed to the company's' success - which as a shareholder in a pre-IPO company is important - but also to our employee's success. It is incredible that we have a great training program for new / recent grads to come in and learn the business in sales, client services and engineering, and provide them a clear career path for promotion. Our philosophy of promoting from within is unheard of for companies our size (300 employees to date). I work long hours (by choice not by demand) and everyday It amazes me how fast the day goes by, because we are moving at such a fast clip.

One thing to note - this is a company where you control your own success - if you are a go-getter, driven to succeed, are truly a team player and are open to learning every day - then this is a great place for you! I am so happy that I am here and that BrightEdge has given me such a great opportunity!

Cons

My only con is I wish we had more catered lunches, other than Friday. Don't get me wrong - I love the free lunches on Friday and all the snacks, but it would be great to have food brought in a few days a week.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Culture starts at the top, and I am proud to be in a role where I can make a difference and influence change where needed and reinforce the great drive, culture and rewards provided to every employee.

Great team, product/thought leader, fulfilling valuable work

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time

Pros

I’ve been at BrightEdge for a year and I can’t say enough good things about the company and the Client Services Manager role. The team is great – collegial, helpful, and fun (darts or foosball anyone?). The product is literally the leader in its space, built by a brilliant executive, product and engineering team. The pay is more than competitive. And the work is very interesting...and fulfilling. Effectively, I’m working day-to-day with digital marketing teams, helping them grow their SEO footprint, execute on meaningful projects that executives care about, and build a deep understanding of how world-class digital teams approach SEO. For a former mgmt consultant, the CSM role is the perfect combination of strategic analysis and tactical execution.

Cons

We've experienced tremendous growth over the past few years and with that comes challenges regarding the right way to scale and share information. I think a lot of those issues have been remedied.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. There's a reason we're the leader in the space, and it's because of the world-class product and team that the company has attracted.

3. Strategic Account Manager

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time

Pros

amazing leadership and team overall. Tons of opportunity and room to be creative. this was the most supported i have felt in a long time

Cons

its a startup so anything can happen. risk but also reward

Advice to Management

value the work life balance! happy people=happy customers

Exceptional coworkers, but company culture leaves a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. People! BrightEdge hires incredibly talented people who also like to have a bit of fun!

2. It's a good company to start your career. The entry level positions have a good blend of core work and operational projects, so there are a lot of skills to be learned if you chase the possibilities.

3. You get to work with some really cool, big name brands, which can be a major plus for the resume.

Cons

1. Transparency can be a problem for upper management. Employees have little input or visibility into big company decisions. The execs are also constantly trying to sell the product and get immediately defensive whenever there's a technical or operational issue, both with clients and employees.

2. Different departments within the company, i.e. Sales, Client Services, Engr, are tunnel-visioned and have no idea what the other teams are up to or how the work they're doing fits into the bigger picture.

3. Lack of leadership/professional development opportunities. Again, entry-level ops positions are more flexible. But if you're in a client facing role, expect to predominantly be on calls with little work beyond the scope of account management. Not many positions exist between the entry level and upper management horizontals and not many execs seem to be focused on actively developing these roles out.

4. Almost all managers have a conservative outlook towards management. They're not approachable unless you're working with a big client or are on the verge of losing one. There is no partnership between execs and employees on what is or isn't working operationally.

5. Unfortunately, the overall philosophy of upper management seems to be: "Every customer is god, Every employee is replaceable."

Advice to Management

1. Partner with employees. Get their feedback on product and processes. Allow them to shine by making the environment open to bold new ideas.

2. Focus on external marketing, not internal marketing. The employees already know exactly how useful or useless each feature within the product is.

3. Create more visibility into what the different departments are doing, what projects they're working on, a problem they fixed, how they landed a win, etc. How does this all fit into the bigger picture? What is the bigger picture, other than just selling more? Develop a vision for the company culture, not just the product.

4. Most importantly, truly internalize that most employees are not replaceable.

fun place to work: beer plus an office dog

Current Employee - EBR in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - EBR in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great compensation for entry level job. they know that EBR life is hard, and they compensate accordingly (trips to vegas, hawaii, cash spiffs, etc)

and we have an office dog in san mateo!

Cons

lack of transparency with management but if you can accept that it's a startup and things move quickly, it's not so bad

Lots of promises, little action

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the team you end up with, you will meet some incredibly smart, talented, and genuinely friendly individuals. Your skillset will grow, as there is a lot of work to be done and you'll have to learn a lot on the job. Don't worry about your SEO skillset before joining BrightEdge--every new hire must go through a phenomenally in-depth training program.

Cons

The work to be done doesn't have enough hands to do it. The company is all about pushing out massive numbers, and it doesn't really seem to matter how they get there. Most employees do not spend more than 1 to 2 years here. That lack of loyalty and high turnover is alarming. (Yes, they are growing in net, as noted by the company in a review response below, but that's only because hiring is extremely rapid to make up for the large outflux).

Do not believe the hype that you are given in the interview--this is not a startup. It wants to appear that it still has a start up vibe, but the culture is very corporate, and only getting more so.

A variety of promises will be made during the interview about the opportunities for advancement, but clear goals and expectations are rarely set. If you are not a favorite employee of management or work on a team that is most important to generating new revenue, you will find that your growth opportunities in the company (and your value to the company) will be severely limited.

For the long hours (60+ hour weeks are not out of the ordinary), compensation is mediocre at best, although medical benefits are generally pretty strong.

Advice to Management

Consider the value of your employees as more than just cheap labor. People will consider staying with the company in the long term if they feel they are valued and given additional responsibilities and roles to grow and develop in. It should be easy for employees to see that it is in their best interest to be at BrightEdge. Right now, there are a lot of "better offers" out there for talented individuals for

BrightEdge

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience
    Support from management
    Culture of growth

Cons

I am satisfied and excited for future experiences here

Attempt at a balanced review. If reading and considering BrightEdge; please take negative reviews seriously.

Former Employee - Enterprise Business Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Business Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Two week training in California
    - Reasonably good salary
    - Occasional free food

Cons

- Lack of training and guidance provided
    - Very high staff turnover
    - Management do not have a great interest in your career progress

Advice to Management

- Need to combat high staff turnover. Address employee dissatisfaction. This cannot continue indefinitely
    - Some people succeed at BrightEdge which is great, but many others struggle. Consider why great employee performance is the exception rather than the rule
    - Make the interview process more thorough. If people are being offered a job and then subsequently struggle, then maybe you are not qualifying well

Get noticed.

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I consider joining a new company, I have a few boxes I need to check first:
    -Technology: the best in the market against competitors?
    -Culture: work hard/play hard, can I hang around these people 8 hours a day?
    -Company Growth: what VCs invested, how much and what round?
    -Career Growth: if I crush it, can I move up the ranks?
    -Management: can I learn from the person who's managing me?

BrightEdge checked all those boxes for me. I've been here for over a year now and those boxes are still checked, plus a few more.

BrightEdge is about the 'athlete mentality'; if you work fast and smart you'll get noticed. On the same token, that athlete mentality comes along with the comradery. Everyone, even c-level, are here to help you if you ask for it.

BrightEdge is in a great place right now. We're a late stage startup with over 9000 clients and growing everyday. We're solving a need in the market and it feels good to contribute to that.

Cons

I don't really have any cons, the only thing I would say is that BrightEdge is not for you if you don't like to work fast and smart.

Advice to Management

I love the executive support when I need it. Keep innovating, staying ahead of the competition and solving that need.

Growth, Opportunity, and World-Class Training

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright Edge has separated itself from other companies from the start! You will not be thrown into a sink or swim environment. The interview process guarantees that you are/are not qualified for the position that you are applying for. Once you are hired, your first week is an over view of the industry as well as the company and its platform. The in-depth training and time spent on the material sets every employee up to succeed. In your second week, you will train for your exact position. It is rare that a company spends so much effort into training.

Not only is training world-class, but the opportunity for career growth and money are there! Base salary and OTE is higher than most companies in the industry. The platform is industry leading.

Cons

If you are not a quick learner, you can get lost in training. If you do no work hard, don't enjoy fast-paced growth learning environments, you should not apply.

Brightedge Technologies Photos