Brightedge Technologies

Brightedge Technologies Founder & CEO Jim Yu

Jim Yu

This is a Real Review by A Real AE

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsI have been here a little over a year in sales and a lot the criticism in the most recent reviews is just not accurate, In fact it is an insult to me and the hard work that I do and likely not written by someone who actually works in sales. I feel compelled to comment because I want my career to grow here and if people buy into inaccurate reviews it will not help. People will also miss out on the great sales career opportunity that BrightEdge represents.

In my opinion we have the best product in a very large market (75% search traffic is organic - hello!) and an exec team that 100% supports me and my efforts. That means they get on planes, work on weekends, help me win my deals, and are very responsive to my asks. They should be - they want to win too. They also pay me well and provide me with the tools and support that I need to win; I hit my goals. They demand a lot but I feel like my relationship is reciprocal; to be very, very clear, I perform and I feel appreciated. The reality is we are a team in a fast growing software business that is winning a market with tough competitors; by virtue of this this is a demanding place to work. But, this is what I want - I want to have a career in the valley selling software. I personally believe if I continue to have success here I will move up as many have and that is what I want.

ConsAs highlighted in other reviews, there are great people here. I think management should develop a more formal feedback mechanism to listen to these great people. I get a lot of support because I close a lot of business. I am not sure everybody does.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your great team.

Super growth company that gives you an opportunity to move up on your own merit

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsTerrific SEO training. Fun and energetic environment. Good smart dedicated people. You can accelerate through your own merit.

ConsA bit of a challenge commuting if not in the San Mateo area though pretty comparable facilities as with other valley companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring more experienced people to round out the ranks and add to an already stellar team.

Good Opportunity to learn & work with bright individuals & big brand names

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsGood SEO training, company invests in employee development, best SEO platform out there, fast-paced, company is growing fast, great happy hours, bright office, kitchen well stocked, companies hires top notch employees, flexible.

ConsDirection for employees in some departments has room for improvement, commute for employees who do not live in San Mateo is a challenge as company has outgrown the parking lot and the office is not near public transportation. The number of stock options allocated to employees who are not VPs are low compared to other valley start-ups.

Excellent place to grow with an amazing company.

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros- Fast growth
- Smart people
- Best in class technology
- Good compensation
- Fun teams

Cons- Can't think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on developing an amazing company and grow the

A real review and advice

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time

ProsIf you have trouble navigating the reviews on this site, I can tell you that most, if not all, of the positive reviews are fake (I strongly suspect our marketing/product leader is writing them). It's possible one or two of the negative reviews were written by competitors, but the overall negative sentiment of employees is accurate. There are a lot of changes happening internally, but the bottom line is that everything filters down from the top, from the CEO. He's a smart guy, but he's young and only cares about money. And since he isn't going to change, any attempts to improve the culture are severely limited. This is evident by the fact that the same issues have been coming up in negative reviews for over 2 years.

Pros:
- if you're recently out of school, you can learn a lot at BrightEdge. My advice is stay for 1 year (no more), and make connections that will get you your next job - people from BrightEdge often go on to big name companies.
- BrightEdge is reaching new milestones in terms of company growth, and the market is changing rapidly, so it's an exciting time to see how the company is navigating changes.

Cons- the CEO will only have things a certain way (his way), and the exec team caters to him, so you may get frustrated and run into road blocks if you have your own ideas. They'll tell you to take "ownership" of your role, but they won't give you the authority or support to execute.
- we are seeing increased competition, and seem to be scrambling to maintain our leadership in the market (for example the "data cube" that came out of no where, and our sudden interest in marketing towards "everyone" instead of just enterprise. This was not planned, it is reactive).
- BrightEdge is the king of over-promising and under-delivering. This hasn't changed and isn't going to. Everyone here is a salesperson and a smooth talker and they will sell their pants off to get you in the door, but my advice for both experienced and inexperienced people is this: unless you have no other options, it's not worth it.

If you do join, my advice is to be aggressive about what you need to succeed. If you want or need something, be proactive and ask every day or every week until you get it. Get everything in writing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've been getting the exact same advice for years. You've seen success until now so you haven't needed to address it, but now might be a crucial time to start paying attention to your employees.

Best product in industry and amazing collection of talent!

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time

ProsThe Company is the clear leader in their space. We own the market and have the who's who in almost every vertical that is important to us. We have the best product in this space and our engineering team rocks! The company has brought in lots of talent both experienced hires and recent college grads. Every function in the company has top notch talent. The department teams are very close and work really well together. Great opportunity to make an impact and be a part of something special!

ConsCompany is growing so fast it is difficult to higher the caliber of people they are looking for quick enough to keep up with the growth. This company is only for those that have the passion to be in a fast paced environment. The industry changes at a rapid pace and makes it challenging to keep up but that is what makes BrightEdge so critical to customer's success.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire rock start talent and continue to invest in your employees. Continue to adapt and refine process and strategy as you continue to grow.

Disappointing- Look Elsewhere!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros*I felt compelled to write a review after seeing multiple reviews from the same person or two people in the past several days that paint the company in an overly positive light. I believe these reviews are fake and were maybe written by management. Read the negative reviews- they tell the truth.

Positives- interview process is tough to get through so only the best and brightest make it. Your peers will for the most part, engaging and very hardworking. Some folks in middle management genuinely care about you and your success and try to make the day to day bearable. Work-life balance is ok. Hours are long, but not as bad as other places in the valley. Technology is impressive and is created by a talented, but overworked engineering team.

ConsI'd say about half of the stuff I was told in the interview process regarding company environment, future career opportunities, culture, etc. was untrue or overinflated. You'll be oversold on the importance of your role, the culture, and the HUGE opportunities for upwards mobility....but you'll find that ultimately, you won't go far unless you are in the inner circle with management and learn to suck up and play by their rules. Any upward mobility, etc you will have to fight for every step of the way. Working from home is NOT an option and is frowned upon- people will notice when you arrive and leave the office and will comment on it. Environment is very gossipy. Many talented hires end up leaving after a year or two because they can't take it anymore....anyone who has been at BE more than a year or so is a "veteran", and the company has been around since 2008! Ultimately- management cares about your numbers, not you, nor your well being or career and will continue to over-promise things (bonuses, new titles, Club) to get you to stay longer -because they can't afford more employees quitting. Ultimately, they want to line their pockets and will do whatever they need to do to get there. You'll hear about how the company is tracking towards IPO but don't fall for it- the only folks that are getting rich off a potential IPO are exec mgmt, not you! Socially- the environment is pretty toxic- you'll ascend up the ranks more quickly if you learn how to play the political cards and throw your peers under the bus to make yourself look better. If you are a nice guy you will definitely finish last. The company operates under a culture of submission and rewarding "yes-men"- state an opinion or belief that is out of line with what the C level believes and you will quickly be on your way out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees a little more- the company is not going to succeed without them.

Read the negative reviews before you decide to take a job at BrightEdge

I worked at Brightedge Technologies

ProsThe people you will meet and work with on a daily basis are extremely talented, intelligent and hard working. They are the reason why you go to work every day. They are the reason why its difficult to walk away and find new employment. They are the reason why you put up with with the micro-managing senior leadership team.

ConsI'm beginning to see a lot of positive posts again on the BrightEdge review board which only leads me to believe that management is forcing their staff to post positive reviews. I'm pretty confident of this since the posts are coming from anonymous Account Executives. Anyone who has worked there knows that the Sales department is a revolving door and the staff are treated poorly. Did something suddenly change? Moreover, when I worked there, I'm guilty of posting a fake, positive review and have also witnessed this happen on more than one occasion during my tenure.

While you have one department posting fake reviews on Glassdoor, you have others in a separate department being forced to end connections with former employees on LinkedIn. The problem starts at the top but it doesn't end there. You have a couple of leaders that are very smooth talkers (if you can't read between the lines, they are disingenuous) that keep the recruiting going. Once you get in, you quickly realize you made a mistake and now you are part of the unhealthy negative culture that will swallow you whole very quickly. There is another in a leadership position that is a person of faith. You quickly realize that their actions and words are not very christian. There is another leader in another department that should have never been allowed to manage people. The only true VP at this company manages the Marketing group.

If you are considering a job with BrightEdge, read these negative reviews before you make a decision. Not to speak in hyperbole but every one of these negative reviews are probably written because each person finally felt like this was the only time they would be heard. They finally have the freedom to speak their mind. I've never done this before. I usually never take the time on something this trivial like posting a negative review.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy?

Very disappointing - Your last day will be your happiest

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros- 1 week new hire training which teaches you a lot about the product and space - instructor was very helpful and patient with the class
- Solid product - definitely the best
- Fair comp for industry

Cons- High attrition rate - you see a lot of people leaving which is worrisome
- No support from management - left to fight your own battles
- Low morale amongst teams
- No structure
- Benefits aren't great - not what you'd expect from a start up

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask employees to write positive reviews about the company - treat them well and it'll happen.

Not What You Signed Up For

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros-compensation is pretty good for recent college grads
-surrounded by bright, motivated people

Cons-numbers are inflated based on what they want market to be, and have nothing to do with realities
-upper management couldn't be worse, there isn't even a pretense that they care about your as anything more than a number
-definitely just want more yes men (if you disagree with them they make it clear you're very replaceable)

Advice to Senior Management-listen to your employees, and don't get defensive every time somebody tells you things need to change
-realize that people are working incredibly hard, and if people aren't doing well here it's probably due to the toxicity of the environment, not that people are adverse to a metrics driven company

Worked for Brightedge Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Brightedge Technologies Videos

Brightedge Technologies – Why Work for Us?

What began in 2007 as two people working from a kitchen table to more 225 employees across three offices worldwide, BrightEdge is a global leader in enterprise SEO platforms, assisting 8,500 brands and counting with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brightedge Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brightedge Technologies CEO Jim Yu. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Brightedge Technologies employees.