Brightedge Technologies Reviews

Reset
3.4
Brightedge Technologies Founder & CEO Jim Yu
Jim Yu

Pros
  • We have the best product in this space and our engineering team rocks (in 7 reviews)

• Selling best in class digital marketing technology makes it a great sales process and fantastic opportunity to exceed goal / ramp my commissions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: non-existent (in 5 reviews)

• In four years the company is the clear leader in a very competitive space; that is a position that does not come without a lot of hard work (in 6 reviews)

Director

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked in sales for many years, and I can truly say that I couldn't be happier with Brightedge, my outstanding sales team, and the wonderful management that I am privileged to work with. Some of the the notable aspects of the company include:
    * Industry leading product
    * Great sales culture
    * Great and talented employees
    * Great sales training
    * Great perks including monthly trips for top reps, free lunch Friday, and Hawaiian vacation for President's Club
    * True meritocracy and reward for top performers
    * Great career growth!

Cons

* Brightedge is a wonderful company that has gone through the same expected growing pains of any other company that is growing at out pace. Each year the company gets better and better, and I always surprised to see those reviews that miss the mark on the outstanding opportunities found here.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great talent!

Account Executive - I love it Here So Read This

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I saw the last negative review and felt compelled to write this. As an AE, we get 100's of leads every month, tons of support and as the market leader I think more than half of team is over 100% of goal according to what I know. Yes, the company does manage to numbers - hello this is a sales job at a rapidly growing tech company. If you have a problem with quotas and running a process that has delivered 100's of clients and selling the best organic search tech, you should try working for 1 of 100's of start ups that wont amount to anything and wont enhance your career. Don't join and go not perform somewhere else. I am advancing and making more money than I ever have.

Cons

none for me - I work 8-6, make money and am learning a lot

Advice to Management

don't hire people who cant do job.

Fast Moving Company with an Amazing Company Culture

Current Employee - Enterprise Business Representative
    Current Employee - Enterprise Business Representative

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had multiple job offers from some of the largest SaaS companies to the fastest growing startups and I chose BrightEdge for a reason. If you're looking for a company that has cutting edge technology and is growing at a fast pace surrounded by an energetic, fun culture- this is the job for you. I could not have made a better choice with my career. You are giving the tools and resources to succeed and it is your job to find what works. If you have a passion for sales and want to be apart of something big, this is your perfect fit.

Energetic, young culture
    Flexible hours-- make your own schedule. No strict calling hours
    Free Friday lunch
    Weekly groceries
    Monthly outings
    Numerous contests to win extra money and trips
    Office yoga
    Open door policy-- work closely with management

Cons

It is a late startup. There is going to be change within the organization because we are growing so fast. The only reason why I put this as a con is because if you can't embrace change-- it may be difficult for you to adapt.

Your experience here depends a LOT on your department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies

Pros

There are great, friendly, hard-working people here. They let you share ideas and run with them. CTO is an amazing leader. The product is super interesting, and they train you really well in SEO.

I'll be honest, I was super nervous about accepting a job here after reading all the negative reviews on Glassdoor - so I actually brought it up in my interview. The CTO said that a majority of these reviews are actually from the sales/marketing department - not the engineering department (which is the department I was interviewing for). So I took a gamble and accepted the job. I'm going to say that he is right. The engineering department is great, and I'm pretty sure the negative reviews are about other departments - so be wary if you are interviewing there. I had some medical issues and nobody ever said a single thing about me taking the time I needed during the day. In fact, they were VERY accommodating.

Now, that isn't to say that they don't expect hard work. They want very hard-working, driven people. They expect you deliver. If you want an easy, laid-back job, this isn't for you. I actually very much enjoyed the rigorous environment, since I like a challenge. They aren't at all unreasonable, though, and I found their requirements of me to be the same as any other job I've had.

Cons

There are some overtime issues with engineers having to work really late, especially during release weeks. However, they've hired someone to make the processes more agile, so they really are trying to fix the problem (the CTO is definitely aware and has talked about it). But just know that there are some growing pains in that process. They claim that they are a scrum company, but at least when I worked there, they had a long way to go to get there. However, the person they hired for the job is great and is really trying to change things.

Definitely some communication problems, but I really don't think they are intentional. Just know that it'll need some work.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to get employees to "drink the Koolaid", so to speak. Employee's will believe in the product on their own - they are working for you and working on the product and making something that they are proud of. When you claim we have zero problems and no "real" competition, you come off sounding disingenuous - as an employee, I'd rather know about the real problems we are facing so that we can fix them. There's no shame in having competition - it can drive you to be better.

Keep at it, and keep getting more and more organized so the machine will run smoothly. BrightEdge is an amazing product and a great company.

Good Company, ridiculous hours

Current Employee - Client Service Analyst
    Current Employee - Client Service Analyst

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies

Pros

People are very enthusiastic and excited about the platform - very collaborative and friendly. Things are constantly changing and updating so it never gets boring.

Cons

Stupid long hours - expected to work 11 hours a day. You start off at a hourly rate (20/hr) and make bad money if you don't work the full 55 hours a week. You get more done in 8 straight hours of hard work rather than 11 hours of just trying to get your hours in.

Advice to Management

Good job overall, nothing bad to say about management - just long hours

Growing company, good place to work

Current Employee - Client Services
    Current Employee - Client Services

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies

Pros

Great technology
    Collaborative team environment
    Motivated, helpful coworkers
    Team activities + events
    Friday lunches

Cons

Pay is good only because of all the overtime hours that are put in (and expected)
    No 401k matching

Account Executive

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time

Pros

As a young person there are some talented people you can learn from here.

Cons

No quality of life at all. Completely driven by the numbers. Sales management is terrible as is executive management. Very large attrition rate in sales due to this.

Advice to Management

Stop treating sales as disposable people to be burned through. No wonder so many people bail.

Arm twisted for a Glassdoor review? Okay, I'll give one, but it's going to be brutally honest.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Great technology - it really is the best I've seen in the business, which is why I chose to leave my last role, where I was successful, to work here.
    2) Good, decent people on the front lines - I genuinely like a vast majority of the people I work with in the AE and EBR roles. We all appreciate one another and are really just trying to make an honest living. We all work hard.
    3) Great vision - based on where we are poised in the market, there is a great path to success both from a customer success viewpoint and a revenue viewpoint. I see the company as a whole going somewhere (if they can relieve some of the cons below).

Cons

1) Micromanagement culture - I'm an adult, and have been in sales for several years. I graduated from a top university. Never once have I had to have a manager write and rewrite and proofread my emails until I arrived here. Checking activity is one thing (yes, it's a quota job and an activity job), but if you want every email to look like a robot wrote it, well, get robots, not people.
    2) Shifting "requirements" - we've now instituted "call blitzes" from 4-6pm a couple of times a month, which does not lend well to either morale or to actually getting business closed. It feels like detention. Again, I'm an adult, not a school-aged child. If people aren't getting the job done during work hours, address that with those individuals. There's also a change in amount of activity required, which seems to change every week, if not every day. Set a standard, and leave it alone already.
    3) Work-life balance - during my interview, an 8:30-5 schedule was "pitched," which I appreciate. I have a life outside of the office, and work-life balance, as I mentioned in my interview to management and to the recruiter, is very important to me. I am SHUNNED if I arrive/leave at those prescribed hours. Yes, we are paid for any overtime we accrue, but I specifically mentioned in my interview that I do not care about overtime, I care about going home to my family. And I was told by multiple people that these were the hours. Just say 8am-6pm minimum to your candidates and pull off the band aid. You'll probably get the right candidates who don't mind staying late often on board, vs. a bunch of disgruntled folks who feel lied to.
    4) Pushy sales tactics and culture - there are documented cases of prospects going with competitors due to harassment from all levels of sales management, including multiple calls and emails in a day. It is mandatory to "value touch" your prospects an obscene amount. I know if I was receiving that many calls and emails, especially after specifically stating I needed a few days to review internally, I'd be running for the hills too.

Advice to Management

Please reconsider how you treat your employees and prospects. Once you have a customer on board, you treat them like gold, which many companies don't, and that is to be respected. But you are quite literally drowning everyone else in the path to the acquired customer, employees and prospects included. That's not the way to get ahead in the end game.

Performance Culture Is Not for Everyone

Current Employee - Not Provided in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Not Provided in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) BrightEdge is in business to win and they beat their competition head-to-head about 75% of the time. The product is a generation ahead of the competition and wins multiple awards.
    2) People who can make it at BrightEdge will catapult their careers forward for being part of a top startup that made it from small to big.
    3) We have multiple people who start here out of college and make director within 4 years.
    4) We have first and second-year sales people who make six figures.
    5) Work life is rather balanced. People are in by 8 and most out by 6. Not too crazy.
    6) The kitchens have plenty of food and drinks and they provide hot lunch on Fridays
    8) Many groups go out for dinners, drinks, and ice cream
    9) Most groups have off-site kick-offs and celebrations in cool locations. Top salespeople go to Hawaii.
    10) The company has some cool programs like Thank You Thursdays where people write appreciation notes to colleagues and someone else delivers them - feels great when you get one. I have gotten many.

Cons

Leading the industry and growing the company is tough and takes commitment
    There are not too many lunch places close by
    They have a gym but it is kinda small

Advice to Management

Try not to hire people who are not driven and self-motivated.
    Increase the focus on transparency and collaboration.

Great team, product/thought leader, fulfilling valuable work

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time

Pros

I’ve been at BrightEdge for a year and I can’t say enough good things about the company and the Client Services Manager role. The team is great – collegial, helpful, and fun (darts or foosball anyone?). The product is literally the leader in its space, built by a brilliant executive, product and engineering team. The pay is more than competitive. And the work is very interesting...and fulfilling. Effectively, I’m working day-to-day with digital marketing teams, helping them grow their SEO footprint, execute on meaningful projects that executives care about, and build a deep understanding of how world-class digital teams approach SEO. For a former mgmt consultant, the CSM role is the perfect combination of strategic analysis and tactical execution.

Cons

We've experienced tremendous growth over the past few years and with that comes challenges regarding the right way to scale and share information. I think a lot of those issues have been remedied.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. There's a reason we're the leader in the space, and it's because of the world-class product and team that the company has attracted.

RSS Feed </> Embed