Brightedge Technologies

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014

Brightedge Technologies Founder & CEO Jim Yu
Jim Yu

Pros
  • We have the best product in this space and our engineering team rocks (in 7 reviews)

• Selling best in class digital marketing technology makes it a great sales process and fantastic opportunity to exceed goal / ramp my commissions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant stress and lack of work-life balance make it almost unbearable (in 5 reviews)

• Be prepared for not receiving any credit for all your hard work, and being asked to do more and more (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I was looking for easy, and it is absolutely worth it.

Current Employee - EBR in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - EBR in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came to BrightEdge to get myself into tech sales. Knew there were some unhappy posts about the past, but it seemed like somewhere to could get into, get trained and learn a ton. I've heard plenty of stories about the recent past, but was pleasantly shocked by how intellegent my peers were and the training, both boot camp and third-party is awesome. I know without the shadow of a doubt that my experience here has prepared me for anything I will see moving forward. I definitely was not coming for easy and it has paid off.
    Once I got ramped up, which took about 3 months, the money is awesome for a first year role. Also, it's a tough stretch, but the fact that I can legitimately get into a closing role capable of making a ton more money within a year and a half is well above anywhere else that I know of.

Cons

There is pressure to perform here because we work on such a fast pace (weekly and monthly metrics/KPIs). If you're looking to clock in and out every day with little thought to in between, it's not going to be enjoyable for you. If you believe that it's worthwhile to push yourself on a daily basis, then absolutely worthwhile. It will probably be one of the tougher places you'll work, but you'll learn at the same rate.

Management definitely doesn't value perks like some of the other valley shops do. This would help during the rougher hours or days (when people just don't seem to be picking up the phone, etc), but i'll trade free lunch for knowing exactly what I have to do to move myself up any day.

Love the customer success family

Current Employee - Customer Success in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the brightest people I've ever worked with. A collaborative culture with colleagues that are always happy to lean over and help. Happy hours are fun too : )

Cons

Not for people who are looking to come in to a role and cruise. The platform and the market are challenging, and require us to be constantly learning and evolving.

Great learning opportunity, long hours

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are looking to jump start your career with great learning experience then this is a place to be. You get to work on varied and challenging projects.

Cons

All the teams are small and therefore you need to put in extra hours to get things done. I would say compensation is less compared to number of hours required, no employer contribution in 401K plan

Think twenty times before you join

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are gracious, hard working and diligent. They are glad to help you if you ask. There is trust in you to solve hard and challenging problems. If you can prove your ability, you can even choose what to work on and what not to. No need to talk, talk, talk. Just get the work done and you are good and solid. You have to learn a lot to survive here no matter what.

Cons

Get the work done here is not easy. Can you work long hours? Think about 70 hours per week. Think about doing this one year. Think really hard whether you can. Think about running back to your computer 10 mins before your movie Saturday night. Think about doing this over and over again. Think about working on Friday night, public holidays, your anniversary night or your birthday night. Think about the opportunity cost. You can spend 40 hours on the work and the other 30 hours on anything else meaningful to you in another company. If you are gonna spend the 30 hours on TV or video games, maybe this place is a better choice to spend your time. If not, think about your choice. Finally, think about what the culture would be after I mentioned all of this. Everyone is nice, but you could still feel frustrated, helpless and desperate. Because there is a guy who stays with you no matter when you are at the office. His name is Company Culture, who is the really bad guy. He can force you to do tons of things you do not want to. He can make you cry at 2am when you are the only one at office. But you cannot argue with him neither fight him. No one can fix him in the whole company. Maybe you think you are tough. Think twice.

Don't think there is anything you need to change actually. There are ppl who can survive and who cannot. Hire the right ones. Leave the normal people alone.

Most talented group of professionals I've ever worked with.

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced. Talented co-workers. Trainings every 6 months. Meritocracy. Short product release cycle that ensures there's always a lot to talk to clients about.

Cons

Some lack of management transparency. Expect long work hours no matter the role (they are transparent about this). Do not expect a lot of hand-holding or pat-on-the-backs for small tasks well done (this is a positive for some, not so much for others).

Maintain start-up culture for as long as possible - open work environment, open forums, transparency w.r.t. to how well the company is doing and what we're doing to improve. Focus on the employees and their growth more through focused trainings, exposure to industry conferences, individual success plans, knowledge shares, team offsites, etc.

Don't expect to have fun at work

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free snacks and free lunch on friday.

Cons

-sales training on how to sell the platform is horrific
    -office is run like you are in a strict classroom
    -fresh college grads get treated poorly but they have no idea what anything else is like
    -no CULTURE!!!
    -ok salary very little benefits like most tech companies offer in the bay area

Develop some culture and learn how to treat your employees

Awful work-place - Look at the abnormally high Turnover to get an idea

Former Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Lunch provided on Fridays

Cons

- Work-life balance: non-existent
    - Strong concept of "Boss" as a manager vs a "leader"
    - Little to no value of employees
    - Negative culture of fear, repression, and stress

Writing this review was difficult as I usually find more positive items to enable cons to be more constructive. Unfortunately it was so difficult because you've been receiving constructive suggestions for years and done little to change the culture and values.

Thus, my advice:

Good luck - listen and make changes. Until you realize that treating employees as people rather than indentured servants to be abused and discarded, this company will keep hemorrhaging employees.

Fear and loathing in San Mateo

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time

Pros

Great tech, wrapped up with strong client service & support
    Humble and talented colleagues (not management, with a couple of exceptions)

Cons

Oh, my. What a corrosive, iron-fist culture.

Employees are treated like commodities, with the exception of a few pet favorites. Constant hectoring and un-constructive criticism. Some of the managers should never have been given headcount- I can name a handful of full-blown sociopaths.

Won't waste my breath as it won't be listened to.

Excellent Company for High Achievers

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BrightEdge is the top company in it's industry and for good reason - the talent here is top notch. If you are a talented, driven individual and get the chance to work here, you will fit right in. Benefits, pay and ability to contribute to a thriving start up are all great parts of working at BrightEdge. Awesome environment!

Cons

Lead, follow or get out of the way. If you aren't prepared to contribute and pull your weight, BrightEdge isn't for you. There is no room for those looking to sit back and just earn a paycheck. Work life balance is a bit off, but it's going to be that way for any fast moving startup.

A few kinks to be worked out operationally being a startup focused on growth, more efficient processes could be developed but I"m sure those are in the works and will only get better.

'Thumbs up' for negative reviews for a year -- avoid this company, if you have family, kids, dogs or someone you love.

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you can work everyday 16 hours or more including weekends, it could be a good place for you to be.

Cons

If you are a new grad with F-1, think twice to work at BrightEdge, because you almost can not find time to prepare your next interview. Think about coming back home 11pm and start reading careercup or leetcode. Top engineers can escape from this company instead of staying there.

There are people in this company getting married in the morning and come to work in the afternoon.

Be cautious, there are fake positive reviews as pointed out by other reviewers.

Think about why people leave negative comment here, even though, some of them already left.

Stop asking people to give 4~5 rating. I rated BrightEdge 'Very Dissatisfied', because I am.

Brightedge Technologies Photos