Brightergy

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014
4.1

Adam Blake

Good experience and growing company with great potential

I worked at Brightergy as an intern

Pros

Friendly staff, great environment, doing good for world, and lots of growth opportunity

Cons

Nature of solar incentives.

Great Vision

I have been working at Brightergy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Part of a cutting edge industry that is long overdue for the vision of this team. Being a part of an aggressively growing company you are presented with many opportunities. As a collective group "KC, STL and Boston" we have a very hard working team with a common focus of success. Even though we often find ourselves with a lot of work for each individual, it is a very relaxed atmosphere with freedom of making your own schedule.

Cons

As a growing/evolving company, you must be willing to at times wear many hats. Tough skin is a must. Not because of poor treatment, but because success requires hard work and dedication.

Continue on the path of employee culture. Since we have provided a focus in this area, the overall moral has improved.

Great Work Enviornment

I have been working at Brightergy full-time

Pros

Great people, great values and an overall great company to work for!

Cons

There are a few minor details that need worked out with the new hire process. We seem to be a little unprepared, but I know that is something that is currently being worked on. So, no major cons, here.

Growing company that challenges employees and provides opportunity for career advancement.

I have been working at Brightergy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brightergy challenges the employees to better their skills and design processes and procedures to improve the company as a whole. Management is not stuck in old ways to do things like many other companies. The company is constantly growing which provides ample opportunities for employees to expand their responsibilities and advance into different roles. The office environment is open and management is always involved and accessible.

Brightergy is comprised of a younger than average workforce. This is in part because of the demographics of management as well as the focus on using new technology and being adaptive. The company allows for employees to demonstrate their value to the team and does not hold inexperience against someone with intelligence, good ideas, and strong work ethic.

The alternative energy industry is an exciting one to be a part of. It seems to be on the verge of massive transformation nationwide. This a great time to be part of this movement of change within the industry. While the company believes fully in its vision of change, it is not made up of a bunch of "left wing hippies". Instead the staff is focused on providing clients with control, resources, and savings, which is something anyone, regardless of political agenda,can rally behind.

Cons

This is not an "easy" place to work. Employees are not placed into narrow and well defined roles. This can be difficult for individuals that are not self starters. Employees are expected to contribute in a variety of ways to the team.

Being a growth company there is always more to do than time to do it. Work frequently takes more than 40 hours per week, but at least employees are left with the freedom to decide when and where to do their work. Work life balance can be difficult at times.

Brightergy is not the place for people that want to blend in or be told exactly what to do. There are plenty of large corporations for that.

Take time to smell the roses. There has been a renewed focus on employee appreciation this year spearheaded by the new Director of Culture. Keep moving in this direction, the staff is the best asset of the company.

Overall, very positive and challenging in-a-good-way experience

I have been working at Brightergy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For me, to be truly engaged in a job, I have to really believe in the company and the work that we're doing. I absolutely get that here. I feel very positive about not only the growth and career opportunities, but about the opportunities to really make an impact in energy, our communities, and in business.

The management has really demonstrated a commitment to 'failing better,' so to speak. In other words, while we're naturally going to go through some growing pains - even our industry in general is a bit of a roller coaster - they've really followed through on learning from past mistakes and making positive changes. I don't doubt that that will continue to happen.

That includes our benefits. Joining a start-up means that you sometimes trade-off certainty and stability for opportunity. Our benefits keep getting better each year. Since I've been on board, they've rolled out better insurance packets, 401k's (with plans to match soon), and a Wellness program with insurance discounts and gym membership reimbursements. And we keep adding events like team building scavenger hunts and corporate challenge participation that bring us closer together as a group. There's a definite commitment to us as employees that you feel in a very real way.

It's also a flexible work environment, and a very results-based work environment. They trust you to manage your own vacation days in a way that's not excessive, for example.

This job and this company come with a certain amount of uncertainty as we map out really what is a new market and business model. If you don't like that, you won't like it here. But personally, I find it exciting and challenging in a good way. My day is never the same, and there's always something to new and different to work on and to keep me on my toes.

I learn something new here each and every day.

Cons

We operate pretty leanly, so there's a lot on everyone's plate at all times. Sometimes it's overwhelming. But as long as I feel appreciated and truly enjoy the work, the ups of that always outweigh the downs.

You don't always know what your career path looks like, because we never know what our company is going to look like a year from now. For the most part, that's okay, so long as we feel that the opportunity is there even if it's not something fully concrete.

Sometimes it feels like we move too fast, make too many mistakes or get ahead of ourselves. Moving fast is great, but there needs to be a very consistent balance between moving quickly and understanding when to pull ourselves back. I think that's getting better though.

Keep doing what you're doing: keep communicating and communicating more, keep promoting from within, improving the training and on-boarding, keep that commitment to employees and to improving - to learning more from each mistake.

Great Company! Great Management! I love my job here!

Current Employee - Work At HQ in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Work At HQ in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Brightergy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary, very respectful of your family and personal needs, no micromanaging and the work we are doing is making a real mark in world and it feels great to be apart of that. The office culture has done a complete turn around thanks to our Director of Culture and our newly hired Office Manager. They have done a remarkable job at making sure that work pressures don't supercede us taking a bit of time to celebrate our success and milestones. The staff that are here now feels like a real family (challenges and all) and I think that speaks highly of management that we have here. This is definitely work HARD play HARD type of company and its is simply great to be an employee for an evolving and rapidly growing company.

Cons

Communication still needs to be improved on some fronts, but that can be said about any growing company. Processes and procedures are still a work in progress so be ready for change at any given moment but it is all for the greater good of your workload and the company's future.

Fluid communication and to be more personable with the staff from the CEO on down.

Love The Direction

Current Employee - Commercial Energy Advisor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Commercial Energy Advisor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Brightergy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the direction we are headed as a company and the team that I am on thisjourney with each day. The energy industry is changing and our management has a real vision and perseverance to see that we reach our goals and empower our clients.

Cons

There are some uncharted territories, but I don't see that as much of a con as I view it as new opportunities. Each day is different and change is upon us, it is exciting!

Management is seeking ways to enhance our culture and they have done a great job with this. There is solid opportunities to grow and they have always been respectful of my personal time. We have very strong leadership here at Brightergy and I have been fortunate to have strong relationships with them as well.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Brightergy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at Brightergy is the commitment to change and grow. This company has experienced fast-paced growth and mistakes have been made in the process of growing. However, management is committed to improving all aspects of the company including the culture, communication, management style, and overall employee experience. It keeps getting better every day.

Cons

We are always challenged to achieve more. Everyone is smart and works very hard. We are challenged to keep up with one another and it is not always easy, but creates a great company.

Continue creating our vision and thinking about the growth of our company. We have good managers and good employees in place to make your vision a reality.

Brightergy Response

Jun 3, 2014PR and Marketing Manager

We are so happy to hear your balanced but positive review, and especially the recognition of management's commitment to changing past mistakes and 'getting better every day.'

As we went through
    ... More

Avoid this Company

I worked at Brightergy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There were some good people there, smart people, unappreciated people.

Cons

Company micro-managed by a prima-donna who can not communicate needs, and gets frustrated if you can't read minds. No employee appreciation or participation. Company tries very hard to avoid paying commissions. Atmosphere is filled with lots of hush-hush conversations behind closed doors.

Create a professional Management Group and move existing Execs to the Board

Brightergy Response

Jun 3, 2014Director of Culture

I'm sorry to hear that your time at Brightergy left you with a negative impression. We are constantly working toward improvement of communication between all employees regardless of their position ... More

learn what it's like to be fired

I worked at Brightergy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll feel good about furthering a sustainable energy alternative such as solar.

Cons

The company doesn't recognize it's own most valuable asset - it's people. More people have been fired over the company's short 3-year lifespan than actually work there today. There are no reviews, there is no ongoing feedback - you won't have a chance to rectify/improve your performance; they will just fire you.

Feedback. Employees need feedback - the good, bad, and ugly. They need direction, praise, and criticism. Even just a casual conversation would be great strides for this disengaged management team.