Brighton Collectibles Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Jerry Kohl

Pros
  • Pay was great and owner very generous to employees, great discount (in 9 reviews)

• Nice work environment, good discounts, awesome product (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not know product assortment (in 10 reviews)

• Too many events and parties- customers don't want to be call over and over each week (in 5 reviews)

Eh, so so

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a part time associate, it allows me to work when I want to. You get paid weekly. The product knowledge is awesome and interesting. Lots of incentives to do well, such as earning free merchandise, vacation trips. Co workers are awesome. Sales are not commission based. The store actually values holidays, regardless of the mall hours/days open for operations.

Cons

Th hours scheduled are determined by how good your sales are during the time you worked the previous week. Constantly making changes that don't actually help make the day to day work process go by smoothly. Incentives are based on beating the numbers nation wide so it sometimes make it impossible. Sometimes the workers get too competitive and will take sales and customers (do unnecessary underhanded things)

2. Amazing Company

Pros

Amazing coworkers. Amazing products. Amazing working environment in Santa Barbara.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Great job

Seasonal

Pros

Friendly, decent pay, interesting, they are willing to help you if you are having trouble

Cons

Sometimes the company has outrageous numbers

Advice to Management

N/A

Great manager Greedy Owner

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverside, CA

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, friendly coworkers, loved my manager.

Cons

Owner of the company (it was a licensed branch) apparently wasn't doing as well financially as he wanted to and it put a lot of pressure on the workers to make more sales even though people were not coming in the mall.

Respect and Communication Goes Both Ways

Former Employee - Assistant Store Managing Partner in North Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Managing Partner in North Providence, RI

I worked at Brighton Collectibles (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product discount, pretty environment to work in, lots of perks for management teams : merchandise and travel

Cons

High pressure sales, you are required to hound clients with phone calls and get them into the store for "events". Somewhat dated attitude that their clients are stay at home ladies with unlimited time to spend at events in their stores . Professional working women just don't have time for this. Pressure to achieve personal sales goals creates unhealthy competition and some nasty behaviors when everyone is trying to hold on to their jobs. Upper management seems to encourage this. Somewhere, over the years, the respect and appreciation for store employees that this company was known for, has been lost. Sadly, a new generation of upper management has created an atmosphere of disposable people, firing with impunity, and relentless pressure to reach a goal.

Advice to Management

Until you respect the people who work for you, it will be nearly impossible to get their top performances, You will never get loyalty and motivation until you offer respect and fairness, A little goes a long way,

Change with the times

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time

Pros

Coworkers were very sweet people. Most really wanted to be there to help. Discount better than somer other retailers.

Cons

Very little opportunity to advance. Upper management not tuned into store management's ideas. Store management very frustrated with last-minute changes and launches of projects, programs, and campaigns with little direction and explanation and a lot of expectation and responsibility. A CEO that believes that grass-roots efforts at the store level = no real efforts in advertising to promote product, a general 1950's-era attitude towards all the management in the stores, and no real empowerment for change to be made.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front-line management teams! They really do know how to run that company better than you! Put your money where your mouth is, and advertise! That's the only way you'll grow your market base - girlfriend parties aren't going to cut it!

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Brighton Collectibles (Less than a year)

Pros

Jerry is very kind, generous and respected by his entire work force.

Cons

Micromanaged, lack of trust from upper management, too much pressure to telemarket customers, mpos system needs major overhaul.

Advice to Management

Let store management do their jobs.

Current employee

Pros

Good company, good discount, people who work there are very helpful. Good team work enviornmwnt.

Cons

So much pressure, low pay, district manger micromanges everyone.

JERRY.... HELP!

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are GREAT! My poor manager is at wit's end trying to stay ahead of all the ridiculous demands.... and a NASTY AND CONDESCENDING District Manager! You get better results being a leader who inspires...not a tyrant who is trying to justify her job position. One bad apple can ruin the whole barrel. (a direct quote from Laura Young).

Cons

Please tell your District Managers THREATS DON'T WORK! It's INSULTING...and it makes you feel unappreciated! If you're all about "manners"... wouldn't it be smart to treat your employees the same way? It;s not the store personnel who are responsible for stagnant sales...IT'S THE ECONOMY!! You raised the prices (and yes, we know leather prices went up) and now people walk in, take a look at the price tag and walk out! No amount of "customer badgering" will get them to spend $300 on a handbag if they don't have it! They are spending less on a bag somewhere else now and chalking it up to being a smart shopper!! You apparently have a few "cheerleaders" who are telling you what they THINK you want to hear...not what is actually happening. I've been to those meetings. It's GUNG HO ...and then back to reality.

Advice to Management

GIVE US MORE PRODUCT TO SELL! Our back stock drawers are EMPTY!!! It's pretty hard to meet sales expectations when you have nothing there. It's especially embarrassing when someone comes in with a catalog THAT WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN YET...and we haven't got the item! This is a PART TIME JOB for most of us! Not a career make or breaker. PLEASE LOSE THE PARTIES! They aren't working and people are SICK TO DEATH OF THEM! Whoever told you they are working is LYING and just telling you "whatever" to get you off their back. I call people to tell them about a sale or a GWP and they tell me how much they appreciate my minimal contact! Remember...we are not the ONLY people calling them!!! Let's have some class and respect their PRIVACY!!!

Select Your Brighton Market Carefully

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Brighton Collectibles a total of 5 (five) years. My employment started in the Atlanta, Ga. Market. My Store and Regional Manager in Atlanta, Ga. were wonderful. True professional women and leaders. As a result they got me hooked on Brighton Collectibles.

Cons

Unfortunately, not all Brighton Collectible Markets are wonderful to work in. This isn't something you can detect during the interview but you certainly will soon observe/learn it.

RSS Feed </> Embed