Brighton Collectibles Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Jerry Kohl

Pros
  • Pay was great and owner very generous to employees, great discount (in 9 reviews)

• Nice work environment, good discounts, awesome product (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not know product assortment (in 10 reviews)

• Too many events and parties- customers don't want to be call over and over each week (in 5 reviews)

Respect and Communication Goes Both Ways

Former Employee - Assistant Store Managing Partner in North Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Managing Partner in North Providence, RI

I worked at Brighton Collectibles (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product discount, pretty environment to work in, lots of perks for management teams : merchandise and travel

Cons

High pressure sales, you are required to hound clients with phone calls and get them into the store for "events". Somewhat dated attitude that their clients are stay at home ladies with unlimited time to spend at events in their stores . Professional working women just don't have time for this. Pressure to achieve personal sales goals creates unhealthy competition and some nasty behaviors when everyone is trying to hold on to their jobs. Upper management seems to encourage this. Somewhere, over the years, the respect and appreciation for store employees that this company was known for, has been lost. Sadly, a new generation of upper management has created an atmosphere of disposable people, firing with impunity, and relentless pressure to reach a goal.

Advice to Management

Until you respect the people who work for you, it will be nearly impossible to get their top performances, You will never get loyalty and motivation until you offer respect and fairness, A little goes a long way,

2. Great manager Greedy Owner

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverside, CA

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, friendly coworkers, loved my manager.

Cons

Owner of the company (it was a licensed branch) apparently wasn't doing as well financially as he wanted to and it put a lot of pressure on the workers to make more sales even though people were not coming in the mall.

Current employee

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles

Pros

Good company, good discount, people who work there are very helpful. Good team work enviornmwnt.

Cons

So much pressure, low pay, district manger micromanges everyone.

JERRY.... HELP!

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are GREAT! My poor manager is at wit's end trying to stay ahead of all the ridiculous demands.... and a NASTY AND CONDESCENDING District Manager! You get better results being a leader who inspires...not a tyrant who is trying to justify her job position. One bad apple can ruin the whole barrel. (a direct quote from Laura Young).

Cons

Please tell your District Managers THREATS DON'T WORK! It's INSULTING...and it makes you feel unappreciated! If you're all about "manners"... wouldn't it be smart to treat your employees the same way? It;s not the store personnel who are responsible for stagnant sales...IT'S THE ECONOMY!! You raised the prices (and yes, we know leather prices went up) and now people walk in, take a look at the price tag and walk out! No amount of "customer badgering" will get them to spend $300 on a handbag if they don't have it! They are spending less on a bag somewhere else now and chalking it up to being a smart shopper!! You apparently have a few "cheerleaders" who are telling you what they THINK you want to hear...not what is actually happening. I've been to those meetings. It's GUNG HO ...and then back to reality.

Advice to Management

GIVE US MORE PRODUCT TO SELL! Our back stock drawers are EMPTY!!! It's pretty hard to meet sales expectations when you have nothing there. It's especially embarrassing when someone comes in with a catalog THAT WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN YET...and we haven't got the item! This is a PART TIME JOB for most of us! Not a career make or breaker. PLEASE LOSE THE PARTIES! They aren't working and people are SICK TO DEATH OF THEM! Whoever told you they are working is LYING and just telling you "whatever" to get you off their back. I call people to tell them about a sale or a GWP and they tell me how much they appreciate my minimal contact! Remember...we are not the ONLY people calling them!!! Let's have some class and respect their PRIVACY!!!

Select Your Brighton Market Carefully

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Brighton Collectibles a total of 5 (five) years. My employment started in the Atlanta, Ga. Market. My Store and Regional Manager in Atlanta, Ga. were wonderful. True professional women and leaders. As a result they got me hooked on Brighton Collectibles.

Cons

Unfortunately, not all Brighton Collectible Markets are wonderful to work in. This isn't something you can detect during the interview but you certainly will soon observe/learn it.

7. management

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles full-time

Pros

The ladies that each management team hires and trains and work honestly with daily to make a living or a few extra bucks while getting a discount.

Cons

Unecessary stress, pressure, NOT a good or a professional environment. They will change policies to let someone go. They truly do not care at all about their people. JERRY believes if he gives you trinkets, you can and are owned. If you are not a yes person you WILL BE GONE... Jerry needs to let go of some of the higher ups that he has made very wealthy that have No idea how to build people that build a business. They have over stayed their employment and they are taking the business down. Brighton can fire all there DM's as well and start all over with a fresh attitude.The DM's in this company bring zero to the table. They are worse than worthless. They are destructive to the business.

Advice to Management

Dont take a position in management with Brighton unless you you just don't want to think for yourself or be a creative leader. All they want you to do is want they say, because the have no clue of what reality is in the stores, and that changes with whom ever is in Jerry's grace's at the moment m

Sales Partner

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay for work done

Cons

Terrible hours if you're trying to make money

Former Store Manager

Former Employee - Former Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Former Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time

Pros

Management paid well. Wonderful teams in the stores

Cons

Exactly what has been stated OVER AND OVER. Micromanaged as if you cannot make a single decision in your own. Crazy expectations. Unprofessional and even nasty from the top down

Advice to Management

RETIRE OR SELL!

Nightmare on Long Lane

Former Employee - Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Management in New York, NY

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I brought home a paycheck--then again, I did work for that, so I guess that negates that. So, I can't say that I can think of anything else.

Cons

Dm's for this company are constantly micromanaging, to the point that they really run the show. They take all decision making away from the management staff in the store--and they are nasty and treat their managers disrespectfully. I'm not saying that every single one of them do it, but I know of at least five that do. It's really sad, this company does have a lot of promise. I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst of enemies.

Advice to Management

Realize that your sales staff is how you still have a job. They are the face of your company. The more you support them, develop them, grow them, and assist them to be better at their jobs, and to stand on their own, the better this company is going to be. Imagine if you had 200+ store managers living the Brighton Mission because they saw it from the top down, and they breathed it to their partners--wow...amazing. But you can only produce what you see, and if it is ugliness and nastiness, that's what will transpire to all of your people, then trickle into the customers lives as well.

Fun and Easy Place to work

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time

Pros

You develop a close relationship with your co-workers and customers making it a fun and comfortable place to work. The company holds contests for employees to earn free items and trips!

Cons

Didn't always have new products in stock that were being featured. Forced to make cold calls to the same list of customers weekly, leaving some customers annoyed. Very little opportunity for advancement.

RSS Feed </> Embed