Brightree Reviews

1. Featured Review

Leading Edge Company is a Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Brightree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been here many years and will say that this is great place to learn about your craft, improve your skills under a great CEO, and have an opportunity to achieve your personal financial goals. On my team over the years, I have heard from many how this was a great place to land. The quality of the Brightree employees is another reason to work here. It is always a blessing to be a part of a great team, making it a much more fulfilling coming to work each day. We are a forward thinking technology company, able to demonstrate great products and be the first to market with new/game changing ideas. The quality of our products is withstanding the test of time and we continue to get calls from new prospects, because of the positive word of mouth from existing customers. I have worked at companies in the past where we did not get this amount of interest from potential customers, so I don't take this for granted. Last, I would say that Brightree is always looking to be better, and has an open ear to listening to what is needed for improvement. Today for example, we had a session with the CEO to communicate what we hear from the field and shared areas where we can work together to better meet our industry's needs. Overall this is a great environment if you enjoy working in a leading edge, hard driving, technology company.

Cons

A Con, working at a leading edge, hard driving company like Brightree, is that if you don't like rolling up your sleeves and doing rewarding work, it can be a challenge. Every company I have worked for, that grew dramatically and was successful, expected the best and got the best from their people. Brightree is no different. Working for a quality organization means the bar is raised high, but that should be expected.

Nov 26, 2014 – Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

Is doing quality work, rolling up the sleeves, being the best, raising the bar, being leading edge, and doing rewarding work really a "con"? If you don't think so, let's talk!

2. Running with the big dogs

Current Employee - Account Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Brightree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brightree is a place where employees can live out their dreams. Because the company is so focused on its products and its customers it does well. That focus lets people achieve whatever they want from work, since success breeds success. Growth has been both organic and through acquisition, and has created opportunities for employees along the way.

Cons

Nothing is perfect, and there can be pains associated with any growing company. I don't think the cons here are any better or worse than what someone wants to make them.

Advice to Management

Make sure that employees know they can communicate with their managers.

Aug 3, 2015 – Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

I guess "running with the big dogs" is a reference to the company we keep. Brightree is recognized as a leader in the healthcare technology space, and currently ranks as one of Healthcare ... More

In depth review from someone having 7 years of employment experience here

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Brightree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked twice at Brightree over the last ten years in development management. The first time was for 6 years; then I left for another startup and decided to come back after 3 1/2 years. After one year back working at Brightree, I had to move across country and leave. I have been working on software for about 20 years in multiple companies, and I do think that Brightree is one of the best options as a software company. Not only they are highly successful and profitable, but also they have multiple product lines, which means there is always something new or different to work on. Also, it is one of the few platforms where you will be exposed to the complexity of running millions of transactions per hour per day in a mission critical system within acceptable response times (read < 1 sec to last byte). As you can read from other reviews, there is a mix of languages that is used, but everything is consistently being moved to the latest c# / .net version. Some of the older software is in very old versions of programming languages (vb) because it was acquired through mergers. Yes, there is an overlapped period of time where you need to maintain the old code base (not that fun) while rewriting / refactoring to the latest technologies (very fun). I would also like to put some balance to the realities of software companies. Although it is true that there is maintenance work (as in any other place), there is also a ton of new products and features that are being built all the time. As a matter of fact, last year we deployed a brand new product. From design to beta, in 6 months. I cannot disclose what product or with how many resources, but I can tell you that this type of projects happen all the time; if anything, we were always looking for bright resources that would help us jump ahead the competition and make a big impact with our customers. And no, this product was not written by making people work 12 hour days either. It was a solid effort across 3 teams to provide the new leading edge platform for a new vertical. On the culture and growth potential. Again, here I can tell you first hand that all the technical staff that showed they were good and cared about our customers were always taken care of. It is a Scrum/agile shop, and everyone is welcomed to become the tech lead or the scrum master for his/her team. This is great if you think you want to try a bit of management through the scrum role, or more of a technical career advancement through the tech lead role. At that point though, your peers become the system of promotion. We had situations that were amazing with some people stepping into scrum master role and being great at it, while others not that much.. that is as expected, not everyone is ready to be a manager or a lead. The important point here is that Brightree does give everyone the opportunity to try and iterate on these roles. If someone is not ready today, they can improve in the areas that needed improvement and try at another time. My last year at Brightree I was managing 3 teams and multiple projects. For the most time, I would work from 8-5, and some weeks had to work more from home (a couple of hours for 2 or 3 days); My preference was to work from home a couple of hours. So from my experience it is definitively not a back breaking culture. It is software; sometimes is relaxed sometimes is not, and not surprisingly the last week of each sprint is more stressful than the prior one. The last thing I would like to mention here is that there is no "developer on call" role. There is a dedicated team of datacenter engineers that take care of most issues and rarely does a developer need to be bothered outside of work hours. This really denotes the quality and caliber of the Brightree systems.

Cons

Brightree's approach to reviews is an informal one where they rely on each manager to work with their direct reports; to manage and motivate them and to recommend increases. I do prefer a more structured approach and more guidelines across the company. Something more formal basically. Some employees also prefer to be reviewed with the same cadence and same process as everyone else in the company. You can probably grab any paragraph from the Pros section and put it as a con based on the individual

Aug 18, 2015 – Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

Thanks for the depth of your positive feedback. No doubt that software engineers seeking more from their work will get a realistic picture of the team and value your input.

5. Company with Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Brightree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast Growing Company with plenty of opportunities and room for advancement Great Health Benefits

Cons

Cyclic Periods of high demand and stress Some issues with Work/Life Balance as the job requirements can not all be fit in a 40 hour week.

Advice to Management

Provide Employees a Org Chart so employees know who is who, who reports to who and just how big the company really is.

Aug 3, 2015 – Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, Brightree is a fast growing company, and there can be periods of high demand as we strive to take care of our customers efficiently and effectively. Glad you see that ... More

Great Company Great Solutions Commission Plan

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Brightree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solutions are wonderful, commission plan is awesome.

Cons

distance to office couldn't work from home

Advice to Management

telecommute is HERE

Jul 22, 2015 – Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

For the team members who have dedicated themselves to sales, account management, and market development positions, the commissions are indeed awesome! We do hear what you're saying about working ... More

Holy Turnover Rate!!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Brightree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Benefits are definitely a pro at Brightree.

Cons

Compared to other companies that I have previously been employed by, Brightree BY FAR has the worst turnover rate that I have ever witnessed. It seems kind of strange to me that there have been a couple of reviews (From currently employed to formerly employed) recently that have called out the turnover rate, however, Brightree's response on Glassdoor is always - That's not true, we're only have a 7% turnover rate or something of the sort. That number must be in a lone department, and not the company as a whole because with the turnover that I have seen from the colleagues around me, it has been kind of ridiculous. I'm not sure why so many people are leaving, but if I had to make a guess, it would all boil down to the upper management of the employees. Maybe the Brightree response to this review will be the same as it is to all of the negative reviews on here. "With a growing technology company.. blah blah" OR "If you are afraid to roll up your sleeves and not do hard work... blah blah blah" OR "We will be the first to say that Brightree is not for everyone... blah blah blah" Nonetheless, I can't wait to see the Brightree response shut down everything I just say and deny what's going on/what's wrong with the company. Seems to be the common theme with only the negative reviews.

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror and realize what is going on and what is wrong in the company. Do not just disregard the negative reviews that come across on Glassdoor, because that is what's happening. In fact, I guarantee that the Brightree reviews are not even read by the CEO - And that is a shame (But, I bet that the response will shut this claim down, too). I expect the company to grow - But the company needs to address the negative reviews and the negative areas before it wants to become a $100+ million company.

Aug 18, 2015 – Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

You can be assured that Brightree's CEO personally scrutinizes EVERY review so that we can reinforce the positives while working on the negatives. Glad you believe that we will continue to grow ... More

"Great place for the managers, horrible environment for developers"

Former Employee - Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Developer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great if you are a software engineering manager and are in the in-crowd with CTO.

Cons

Horrible and non-progressive place for developers. No annual reviews and thus no need to give you a raise for your good work. No clear career path or mobility provided for long-timers. If you are not in the CTO's in-crowd, you will never be acknowledged no matter how hard you work. Lots of good developers have left because of this culture of non-inclusion, and for good reason too.

Advice to Management

Your developers are some of your best assets. Treat them as such.

Aug 18, 2015 – Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

Brightree does not want any team member to be in the dark about their possible career path, and we know that it's incumbent on the team member and their manager to have open dialogue in this regard ... More

Very high turnover rate

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Brightree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The good thing is that there isn't much on-call for developers and the hours aren't horrible.

Cons

There have been seven developers leave in 2 months. 65% of development resources are being allocated to a part of the system written in 20 year old code written in classic asp and vb6 with a backend that consist of sql server 2005 running in 2003 compatibility mode. The system is built on 20 years of patches. Some managers treat developers like children. They go off in uncontrolled fits yelling and cursing at developers...slamming keyboards and in a constant state of hating everything. The morale here is the lowest of a development department I've seen in my 15 years of development. There appears to be a mass exodus of development talent that seems to be just beginning. They are using off shore development resources from Vietnam and some off shore teams from India that most in the development department aren't aware of because they are trying to keep it hush hush and for good reason.

Advice to Management

Treat your developers with respect.

Jul 31, 2015 – Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

It is unfortunate you felt you were not treated with respect. We wish you had shared your concerns with leaders in the organization who could have helped. Turnover is not as you represent – but as ... More

10. Amazing Technology Providing Excellent Service to Customers

Current Employee - Sales in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Brightree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been in technology for more than 15 years and i've never worked in an environment where the solution is such a great fit and provides such a great value to the customers. While there are limitations in what can be accomplished, the solutions are amazing relative to what the marketplace has been able to provide for our customers. And for the most part our customers love what we provide. We keep our ear to the ground as to what is needed in the industry as well as what the the payers dictate must be changed from a regulatory standpoint. The "business model" of SaaS gives us the luxury of being able to invest massively in the services and "give back" to the 3000 customers we have throughout the year. While the solutions provide value it's also nice to know that we are "Doing good" in the world-- our providers are "revolutionaires" in healthcare -- they are providing healthcare in the home which is much cheaper than hospitals. We are participating in this healthcare revolution which allows the patients that our providers serve live happier and healthier lives. We are not just selling another gadget or cool technology which is not impactful in the world. A great place to be!

Cons

Toward the end of providing solutions -- we always want to do MORE for providers but there is limited resource to "do it all" for them. As we expand our customer base and product line we cannot rest on our success as we have to continue to innovate and accomplish more and more. The enviroment here is thus never relaxing -- it's fast-paced, demanding and constantly expanding and changing. You have to be on your game every day and all day. If that's not what you want then this is not the place for you!

Advice to Management

Any growing & expanding business is always trying to innovate and look into new areas to serve the marketplace. We do a great job with innovation. We always need to keep a close watch on the needs of our existing customers as we try to also aquire new customers at the same time. The good news is these new customers we want to add have similar needs to the smart customers we already have. Our community of users are thought leaders and innovators themselves. Always listen very closely to these companies as they are our foundation and will continue to fuel our success in the years to come. The happier our current customers are with our solutions, the more new customers we will have that want to join the community.

Jun 22, 2015 – Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

Brightree prides itself on listening to the customer and developing products that will help them as they care for their patients. A good amount of credit needs to go to our product mangement and ... More

Too much micro-middle management

I worked at Brightree full-time

Pros

Parts of the company seemed to function well, but those parts were not where I was working.

Cons

Lots of turnover in upper management positions. Also middle managers all over the place who may or may not know what you are doing and why, but demand that their way is the only way.

Advice to Management

Hire management that takes the time to get to know their position, the product and the people working for the company. Don't sic a manager on an already well performing team and expect everyone to bow down to them.

Jul 22, 2015 – Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

Brightree does not have high upper management turnover, and looking at the entire Executive team, the average tenure runs close to 5 years. The perceptions of this reviewer leaves us wanting to know ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed