Brightree

Updated December 3, 2014
4.5

Brightree President and CEO Dave Cormack
Dave Cormack

Solid Business that Keep on Growing!

I have been working at Brightree

Pros

Pros
    Since starting with Brightree almost 3 years ago, the company has gone from a $35m company to almost $100m company today. Pretty impressive! This kind of growth story does not happen without great leadership at the helm. Our CEO, Dave Cormack, is not one of those executives that sits idly behind the glass windows. He is an executive who expects a lot, but nothing less than what he is willing to do himself - very honorable.

Cons

If you don’t want perks like fully paid insurance premiums for each employee, impressive annual holiday parties, teambuilding events and unlimited company-paid coffees, then this is not the place for you. =)

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Dec 4, 2014Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

As a privately held company, Brightree keeps all financial data pretty close to the vest, so the revenues cited in the review can neither be confirmed, nor denied, via social media. The excitement ... More

Great Place to Work with Dedicated Colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Brightree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to show your strengths and be noticed for hard work. Everybody I work with is hard working and dedicated, and I know I can trust everybody I work with to do their part to contribute to our success. Bosses are always willing to listen to suggestions. Lots of fun events being planned, such as a Varsity catered football lunch in October.

Cons

I wouldn't recommend Brightree to somebody who wants to sit back, treat work like a 9-5 job, and just do the minimum requirements. If you are looking to hide behind minimum requirements for a job description, you will have a hard time hiding.

Consider investing further in employee training programs both within the industry and within job functions. Employees will appreciate the investment in their careers, and will be excited to use the new knowledge in their positions

Dec 3, 2014Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

This headline says it all. The "con" though, really isn't a con after all. To rephrase it, we seek team members who will go above and beyond to take care of our customers. That's not such a bad ... More

Leading Edge Company is a Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Brightree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been here many years and will say that this is great place to learn about your craft, improve your skills under a great CEO, and have an opportunity to achieve your personal financial goals. On my team over the years, I have heard from many how this was a great place to land.

The quality of the Brightree employees is another reason to work here. It is always a blessing to be a part of a great team, making it a much more fulfilling coming to work each day.

We are a forward thinking technology company, able to demonstrate great products and be the first to market with new/game changing ideas. The quality of our products is withstanding the test of time and we continue to get calls from new prospects, because of the positive word of mouth from existing customers. I have worked at companies in the past where we did not get this amount of interest from potential customers, so I don't take this for granted.

Last, I would say that Brightree is always looking to be better, and has an open ear to listening to what is needed for improvement. Today for example, we had a session with the CEO to communicate what we hear from the field and shared areas where we can work together to better meet our industry's needs.

Overall this is a great environment if you enjoy working in a leading edge, hard driving, technology company.

Cons

A Con, working at a leading edge, hard driving company like Brightree, is that if you don't like rolling up your sleeves and doing rewarding work, it can be a challenge. Every company I have worked for, that grew dramatically and was successful, expected the best and got the best from their people. Brightree is no different. Working for a quality organization means the bar is raised high, but that should be expected.

Nov 26, 2014Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

We will be the first to say that Brightree is not for everyone, and that's okay. But to understand if you are a fit, look at the "con" section in this review again, and see if it mirrors your way of ... More

Brightree - A Great Place to Work

I have been working at Brightree (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been a part of the Brightree team for over 5 years and I can honestly say that it has become like a family to me! When I started, there were less than 40 employees and it has been amazing to see the growth to 400+. None of this would be possible without the direction of our CEO, Dave Cormack. He has been the heart of the company and his leadership of a wonderful team of employees is the reason Brightree is so successful. I have personally experienced “promoting from within” and I have been given opportunities for personal growth and success. I take pride in what I do daily and I am thankful to be a part of such a wonderful company that cares about their employees and customers.

Cons

Brightree is not just a job, but a career. It is somewhere you are able to grow and learn, it is most definitely a fast paced environment. This may not be the right fit for some, but if you are driven and want to be successful I can’t think of a better place for you to be.

I appreciate the experience and guidance I have been given by our leadership team. Continue to put emphasis on helping/pleasing the customer.

Nov 26, 2014Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

Note the "promote from within" comment... Brightree offers opportunity, and it's up to the team member to seize it. We want all team members to grow with us. We're comfortable with that approach ... More

Work Hard, Rise to the Challenge

I have been working at Brightree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work! Brightree has grown by leaps and bounds over the years, which provides lots of room to grow. I enjoy all the people I work with and accomplishing goals as a team. Work is never boring as we look for ways to improve our customers' experiences -- from new services or products, to new training methods, both internal and customer training, to assisting the customers with the latest challenge the are facing in their businesses. Yes we push each other and our managers push us, to provide solutions - and we rise to new levels of personal performance. We also take time to play where we can, and we do that with the same 'go for it' attitude.

Cons

With continuous growth, we are sometimes like a gawky teenager whose growth in different areas is not synched up. We get out of synch, seem to lose our communication channels, and it sometimes feels like we must reinvent the wheel. Not atypical of a growing company, I think, just challenging at times.

Nov 26, 2014Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

There is a consistent theme to the reviews: great place to work...growth opportunities...taking care of the customer...high levels of performance... About that "gawky teenager" comment - it might ... More

Exactly what I need from an employer

I have been working at Brightree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-I love being able to work from home. That is the #1 benefit to my job. That simple factor balances out all the "cons" in my mind.
    -Minimal travel for my position
    -Upper management is realistic and frank with expectations, so you always know what's asked of you
    -I accumulate PTO at a good rate, so no complaints there. Sometimes I wish we got an extra holiday or two, but last year we got Black Friday-- yahoo!

Cons

-Recently there's been a higher turnover rate than usual, so we're losing some of our reliable "go-to" people and not replacing them quickly enough
    -Workload is inconsistent, and the culture is to "work until the job is done"-- some weeks that means you don't have enough to do, while others you have too much, and you've got to manage your time to get it done, regardless.
    -The environment is rapidly changing and enhancements to the software or internal policies are constantly changing. It is sometimes difficult to keep up to date, unless you're allocating significant time to self-study. You have to be proactive to make that kind of education happen for you; you can't rely on your manager carving out time on your behalf.
    -Unless you receive a promotion, it's difficult to request or substantiate a salary increase, in my experience.

There's no regularly scheduled reviews or evaluations, so it's terribly difficult to request or understand requirements for salary increases. Formalizing that process would be helpful for all parties involved.

Nov 26, 2014Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

Brightree has a progressive mindset as it relates to traditional HR functions, and reserves the right, as an employer, to praise and reward team members at any time. If you're a go-getter, would you ... More

Training, training, training

Current Employee - Support in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Support in Remote, OR

I have been working at Brightree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Brightree has a great benefits package.

Cons

I fell like brightree lacks training for new employees.

I feel that Brightree can improve oh the training that they provided to new employees

Nov 26, 2014Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

Brightree is working diligently on improving its onboarding and training practices, and we would love feedback specific to your experiences. Please seek out the HR Manager or the Director of ... More

Buyer beware

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Brightree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people in the trenches there. Great people who really want to do right by the customer and want to support each other on doing the right thing. Director and below the company is phenomenal and really a great place to be.

Cons

The leadership is the biggest issue. No direction or leadership. No mission or value other make them richer. You hear often of the many mansions the CEO has and how he doesn't have to work as he is walking the aisles to ensure everyone is in their seat at 5:30 on Friday afternoon. No such thing as flexible work hours or working from home...heck the CEO JUST figured out that the day after Thanksgiving would be appreciated. The upper management is petty and condescending. Very reactive company because there is no focus on a well developed strategy and plan. CTO was put in place the. CIO and VP's worked to undermine so that they could go back to old reporting structure. Way to much politics in the upper management level.

Clean house. Get someone in who drives the company and drives common values, mission and objectives instead of worrying about which cubes people are sitting in. Find executives that inspire rather than undermine.

Oct 31, 2014Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

Claiming that the leadership at Brightree has no direction is quite inaccurate. How else does a company become the market leader in the industry it serves? The team at Brightree is driven - they ... More

Good

I worked at Brightree as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great location if you if you are not interested in commuting on the interstate. Out in Gwinnett county with lots of restaurants nearby.

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge. Rapidly growing company and communication is sometimes challenging across the company at large. Company training is excellent for new customers though. Very dynamic work environment.

Oct 28, 2014Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

The "great location" comment is very important for folks who live in the metro-Atlanta area and are tired of wasting away in traffic! If you are north of the city, the commute is an easy one. If ... More

"It's all about the customer; and it takes a great team to serve them"

Former Employee - Sales in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Brightree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We have incredibly talented people here. Atlanta is a center of excellence for technology, like Silicon Valley, or Boston. The companies that have been HQ'd or have had major footprints here (think mindspring, NCR, Cisco, etc) have developed remarkable talent over the years. Plus amazing educational institutions like GA Tech, Emory, etc. With some 400 team members here we have been blessed to attract and retain many of this top Atlanta technolgy talent. And what do they do? They serve our customers. We have almost 70,000 users and 3000 individual companies that use our services to help run their businesses. We help THEM be successful and in turn WE are successful. The review title says it all and it paraprhases typical comments by our CEO, Dave Cormack. We don't "sell software" and then move on, rather we are in the service business-- we service the customer and we do that with TOP TALENT. The result of that is we have the best customers and the best talent here to serve them. Come on and join us (whether you are a customer or want to come work here!)

Cons

Someone had a recent funeral and was talking about "bereavement leave" which is a very generous thing that the company does. We also added the friday after thanksgiving as "official holiday" which is generous. But I think i'd like more holidays off (doesn't everyone want that!). We do work very very hard here, many long hours and it's good to get breaks and time away. With the customer volume and the complexity of all that we are offering (we have not just the "core service" but so many extended services that help our customers do more with less, be efficient), we all have to work very hard to keep this going. Dont' get me wrong -- vacay/leave policy is generous, and I think it's consistent / competitive with other ATl technology companies -- i'd just like more (I guess i should move to Germany ;)

Our customers have extremely high expectations of us-- for more than 10 years we have been their critical technology partner. They trust us and love us and come back for more year after year (testament-- we have simple one year agreement -- customers renew year after year and get more services!). Advice to management is to ALWAYS BE AWARE OF THIS-- our enviable leadership position in customer service and support is fantastic, but to maintain that we must keep our eye on the ball. PLUS while these customers ask for more and more and more, we must be cautious to be always deliver high quality -- if we get too many projects and initiatives going at once then some are at risk (we have so many projects now we must keep an eye on that!)

Thanks for all that you do for employees -- 401k match, dental, health plan, leave policies. Next step -- start charity gift matching -- that is not for everyone but it expands the reach and impact of the company. My last co did that it was nice and many "blue chip" cos do-- and I think we've arrived to the "blue chip" world as brightree is as "blue chip" as it gets. Thanks.

Nov 4, 2014Director, Recruiting & Onboarding

The nice thing about anonymous feedback like this is it gives our organization yet another chance to see what the team members are thinking. Love the gift sharing comments, and Brightree does ... More