Brightside Academy

Add Photos

Mark Kehoe

Excellent people very supportive

Director (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsI would recommend this company to anyone in this industry

ConsI don't have any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am management.

Decent job with downfalls

Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsSome of the other teachers were very nice and looked out for you.
    At first the bosses seemed to care about you and how you were doing.
    The bosses did check in every two weeks to see how you were doing and made sure that you went to many training's.

ConsThe company itself did not care.
    The building wasn't in the best condition.
    The parents were rude at times and the children were abusive to the staff.
    At times management did not step in when needed.
    They worked you to the last minute they could and at times would keep you over.
    The windows could not open which is a fire hazard.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to be more understanding about their employees and their needs. They also need to check on more often and help in stressful situations. They also need to hire people and not wait till the last minute to do so.

Great in theory, but glad to be gone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe work is rewarding when you think about who you are doing it for. The kids.
    There are some talented people working for the organization.

ConsOverall there's a real lack of structure within the organization and a very high turn over that puts a greater strain on already strained resources. Poor Compensation, Poor leadership and management, overall unprofessional work environment, and disproportion workloads.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A/R Specialist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf anything, the laid back environment.

ConsThis was honestly the worst job I have ever had. The management is terrible and VERY unprofessional. They give no opportunity for growth no matter how hard you work. It's a lot of work for very little pay. All in all this job/company is a joke. Steer clear.

A nightmare

ECE Lead Teacher (Current Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsTeaching underprivileged children and seeing them learn is always a wonderful experience. Planning is done according to the common core standards and the curriculum is creative.

ConsHorrible corporate management. No teacher support. Students are not evaluated before they are allowed in to the center. Many are emotionally disturbed and abusive. There are many cases of neglect and child abuse. If a child is violent and abusive, and a disruption to your class, the corporate office offers NO support. The child can still continue to come to the class, and the RTI process is lengthy and a JOKE. Not to mention, the parents are in denial about their children needing help. It's bad enough that some of these children have to witness horrible things in their neighborhood and at home, but there is no safe haven here in the classroom. By not giving these disturbed children the help and services they need, they allow other children to witness their violent episodes and put them in danger while allowing their learning to be disrupted. It is sad. They don't care about helping them. They would much rather get the money for these kids even though they so desperately need help! There is no "education" here at Brightside They are contributing to the problem in urban communities, not making it better. As a certified teacher, I am disappointed. I would never send my child to a place like this.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up!

Jump off the sinking ship

ProsThe stated mission is admirable. However, the execution of this mission is flawed and failing. They do not succeed on any level.

ConsThis company treats their employees horribly on every level. Staff is underpaid, overworked, required to work long hours and unpaid overtime. The favoritism is clear; supervisors are bullies and abusive to staff. Teachers and academy staff are given no support and then disciplined when they fail due to that lack of support. It is plain that those in power do not care who they hurt.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up!!!! You are the problem, not your staff. The board of directors should clear out management and start over. The problem is at the top!

It feels like they try to sell you a dream but deliver a nightmare.

ProsWork with children
    Easy work
    Friendly coworkers
    Food available at the job

ConsExtremely unorganized
    No support from administration
    Give information last minute
    Low pay for amount of things done
    Ignorant parents
    Horrible benefits
    Little room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more organized.

WORST.COMPANY.TO.WORK.FOR

Ar (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThere isn't one that I can think of. Oh but wait if you have a child and fall into their awful rules you may or MAY NOT get free childcare

ConsI spent 4 and half years with this company. And it turned out to be a total waste. Not too mention the discrimanation I experienced in this job. Supervisors that treated their employees like garbage. Blatent favoritism. They should be ashamed of themselves in the corporate office. Senior management watched as supervisors treated their employees horribly because THEY did not want to deal with having to hire new staff. That sad part is if management took the time to see that they had great workers and fire the supervisors that were awful that company might have a chance. Not too mention a CEO who did not know a single person's name in there. I have never ever in my life seen anything like it. Backstabbing at it's finest. And to make matters worse when you do a good job you get a lot more work dumped on you on top of being talked about and being disrepected. That place is a total joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice fire the supervisors who are on a total power trip. Those people are the worst management I have ever seen. Not too mention a bunch of racist women who have it out for people who are trying to do well for themselves. It was made clear on numerous occassions what was going on and they turned the other cheek. That place is huge lawsuit waiting to happen!!

Enjoying the difference in environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe company is changing a lot of their policies, procedures and staffing. Within the last three months I have seen a large change. The company is based on serving underprivileged families in economically challenged areas, it goes without saying that funding can be tight for staff - but who gets into teaching for the money? I think they work well with the resources they have and they are getting better. They are trying to progress all of their sites to a hire academic credential to receive more funding. I like that they are trying to run a school based on early development not just a daycare where kids run around all day. Maybe people do not realize that why we have the education crisis that we do in the inner-city because people are quick to label and they do not want to reach out and assist. Well, they can continue to enjoy the disparity they see in relation to housing and education if they keep an attitude about what is "ghetto" and not. I don't mind working with the company because they are addressing a need that many others shy away from. You can work for bigger daycare places that pay more money but the underprivileged are not going away and people should see clearly that it will never go away if we do not educate our youth. We all need to live, but shame on you if you think you're better off not teaching children in a lower economic neighborhood. Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth - and Brightside is trying to grow a generation that will be able to "give spoons" to the generations coming.

ConsPay is lower than other places, and so some do not want to work with the company. This equals to less staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay should be more competitive to alleviate some of the stress that current teachers have. In this way staff won't get "burned out"

The Company Has Little To No Respect For Their Centers Staff

Lower End Supervisor (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThey're are NONE...Unless you consider your fellow co-workers are sinking in the same ship you're in!

ConsPoor wages to say a degree is required for most positions. No Real Benefits, No Pension! Childcare teachers are required to have a degree but our thoughts, inputs and suggestions are not taken into consideration. They claim they have the children's best interest is a lie. They don't serve the children a healthy well balance meal, it's all process meals, saturated in fats, sometimes served burnt and cold...For the meals...beware! They don't care how many behavioral children they place in a room, rest assured if the teacher is ratio there is no other help given to her. Teachers have been kicked, hit, spat on by behaviorally challenged children and the children are still allowed to remain in care, if the teacher makes a fuss about the issue, they are reprimanded. Teachers are bounced around from center to center in some cases the centers are on the other side of the city and since we're not given ample pay most teachers depend on public transportation and may not be able to get their...they are then told "Go Home" even though we applied and we're hired at the center that was convenient for us. In addition "Full Time" doesn't mean "Full Time" there are many times you are sent home when the center doesn't have many children. You are penalized if not fired for given your opinion There is nothing I can say positive about this company...nothing at all!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're not going to listen to your teachers, because you feel you're above them, then pay attention to the negative blogs and websites such as this and read the negative publicity you're receiving because this your worst PR. In addition look at other large daycare centers, who truly cares about their staff and the children. Look at their incentives, benefits and pension packages...better yet their pay scale. You place your centers in the worst urban areas, without care of safety for your older staff who use public transportation, to walk through those areas either very early in morning or towards evening alone.

Worked for Brightside Academy? Contribute to the Community!