Brightview Senior Living

Resident Assistant

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Towson, MD

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living part-time

Pros

Very nice senior living facility. The residents are wonderful and like for you to talk to them. The interview process was extensive. It consisted of a series of 3 interviews. The first interview is a group interview, then an interview with the resident director and then the final interview is with the executive director.

Cons

The turnover rate for management and staff is very high. The employees come and go often so you are always working with someone new wether a manager or another resident assistant.

Advice to Management

Try to reduce the turn over rate of staff. It will help employees work together better as a team and allows stability when there are consistent managers.

2. Executive Directors can do what ever they want.

Former Employee - Staff in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Staff in Billerica, MA

I worked at Brightview Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location, benefits, staff, residents and building atmosphere.

Cons

Executive Directors are in a position to treat anyone any way they want regardless if it breaks laws and policies.

Advice to Management

Do a better job hiring Executive Directors; keep tabs on them when you do. You are losing some great Directors.

3. Residents Assistant

Pros

It's nice place to work and the environment is very clean

Cons

No place is perfect everywhere you have their up and downs

5. Growing company

Pros

Past reviews angered me. I am single, mid-twenties mother. I work hard so I see the benefits of that. I've worked at other companies that have ignored my strong tha but found the Executive Director to believe in me. The Executive Director laid out steps for me to follow to be successful and voila! Work hard, be punctual and don't blame on the company on your lack of motivation to be successful. Blame yourself. There are Individual Development Programs to advance with a mentor from corporate ( I don't know another company that does that) and they offer tuition reimbursement. If you find this company does not support your individual goals, you obviously have not worked for another company!

Cons

Sales are tough. So you need to work and you need to work hard. If you are not flexible or willing to go an extra miles, then it's not the job for you. Matter of fact, healthcare in general is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

I do believe caring for people is individual and personalized. I also believe each community is different and therefore should operate separately from corporate

Management is killing this company

Current Employee - Cook in Westminster, MD
    Current Employee - Cook in Westminster, MD

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living part-time

Pros

401k, decent pay, flexible schedule

Cons

Too many policies that make no sense, hiring process takes too long, drama among all employees including management

Advice to Management

Ask for employee input on some policies before implementing

"Vibrant Living Communities" = Stagnation and disappointment

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living full-time

Pros

Decent benifits that include accured PTO for full time associates. Also two teirs for part time associates which can incude some benifits that do not typically come with PT employment

Cons

Each community is unique with it's own issues, however corporate across the board needs to be more active in the operations of each community. My community is operating and mislead by an underqualified ED that neglects thier frontline staff that tirelessly works to achieve goals and is consistantly let down by the lack of uppermanagement support. We are dedicated individuals that just need a fair leader that holds all of our best intrests in mind. Filling empty apartments is the only goal despite what may be best for the residents or staff.

Advice to Management

Coorporate needs to spend more time at the community level, along with, holding executive directors accountable on a regular basis. Broad spectrum policies and engagement surveys do not get to the root of the problem. There needs to be more follow through that is proactive as opposed to reactive. Flat out; corporate needs to know thier communities and the operations that occur in each.

Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful, dedicated employees who want to carryout the company mandate. Rewarding jobs for those who enjoy giving care. Front-line staff works very hard to deliver great service. The espoused values are wonderful.

Cons

Each community is only as good as its executive director and there is little evidence of oversight at this level. Some communities appear to be under the control of executive directors who have little management experience, huge egos, and an inability to focus on anything but their own agendas without regard to what residents or front line staff may need. The core values are articulated but not lived.

Advice to Management

Home office management needs to do a much better job of holding Executive Directors accountable for their communities and also for the retention of mid-level management. Burning people out is unacceptable, as is bullying and intimidation of employees.

Disheartening

Current Employee - Perry Hall in Nottingham, MD
    Current Employee - Perry Hall in Nottingham, MD

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living full-time

Pros

Nice decor and a lot of great workers. If u like human interaction and the elderly it would be a good fit.

Cons

The pay sucks and they want u to go above and beyond but you do not get regnized for it. They have their few token minorities in upper management but if your skin is not the right color there is no real room for growth.

Advice to Management

If you treated your employees like hard working people instead of just the help you would not have a 60% turnover rate.

Wonderful coworkers, questionable management

Former Employee - Health and Wellness in White Marsh, MD
    Former Employee - Health and Wellness in White Marsh, MD

I worked at Brightview Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers "in the trenches" with you are amazing, direct supervisors are easy to talk to, the buildings are beautiful, the health benefits are good, good work/life balance, easy to make your schedule

Cons

Low pay, unreasonable demands from 'home office', more concern on looks than resident care, ZERO support and backup from the higher ups--expect to be thrown under a bus if a family member or resident has a complaint.

Advice to Management

Your 'grunts' are the ones who give your company such a great reputation in the community. Pay them and treat them like the assets that they are, instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel for their pay. Maybe spend some of those annual bonuses and vacations on your lower employees instead of throwing it all at upper management, and you'll find greater loyalty.

Pros

Relationships with residents, fun people to work with, always interesting

Cons

Rushed training, overwork good employees to point of burn out

RSS Feed </> Embed