Brightview Senior Living

Updated August 2, 2014
Updated August 2, 2014

3.1

Marilynn K. Duker

Is perfect for people who like human interaction.

Former Employee - Housekeeper  in  Bel Air, MD
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Bel Air, MD

I worked at Brightview Senior Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the teams were great. Mine happened to be one of them. Free coffee and some other perks. Nice and clean place to work. Pay was great. Co-workers from other teams were always friendly and inviting. A really nice place to work if you have the right position.

Cons

Management was not always on the same page with current events or issues of the team. My shift never rotated and I was unable to become full-time even though I worked the full-time hours. There is no growth or development in certain positions. Especially mine. If you were a housekeeper you would be worked a lot because they do not have enough people to back up the team in case of emergencies or for rotation. Although this may get better as years go on. I sure hope so.

Brightview Senior Living is a great organization to work for

Current Employee - Community Sales Director
    Current Employee - Community Sales Director

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive work environment for associates. Management respects work life balance for associates. While I haven't met everyone at all the locations, those I have met have been great and I have wonderful co-workers at my location. This company lives and breathes it's mission statement, which is a very good thing. They offer a nice benefits package.

Cons

Not really a lot of cons to list, but in certain positions there is not a lot of opportunity for growth.

Spend more time in the communities to better understand what a day in the life of associates is really like.

Great company, Great Benefits, Nice people!

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management team really cares about the reputation of the company and the associates that work here. Opportunities for advancement and training are available. Company is growing and very stable, which is great. Very team oriented and positive place to be everyday.

Cons

Communication gets harder as you get bigger, but there is a real effort to get information out to all of the communities, so I can't complain.

Keep offering growth opportunities for your associates in the communities and a great culture!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work but you must have an awesome team

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living

Pros

Room for growth, relatively good pay, most directors are friendly and home office seems like the actually listen

Cons

Directors aren't qualified for their position which leads to a lack of communication and poor organization

You must hired directors that are qualified for that position!!

Great place to grow!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company has a culture that fosters opportunities for growth. Enjoy working in an environment where emloyess are willing to help each othre. I appreciate flexible schedule and ability to balance work and home obligations.

Cons

Expanded time window for annual review to all for employee self evaluation to become part of the process

Continue to create opportunites to share company performance long tern strategic plans. Continue to create opportunities to educate employees on all aspects of company and how it all fits together.

Better than most assisted living companies but . . .

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bel Air, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bel Air, MD

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living for more than 3 years

Pros

On the positive side, Brightview offers better than average benefits, especially for PT workers; almost unheard of in today's workplace. Management, more so than other such companies, at least pays lip service to listening to employees. For the most part, there isn't the authoritarian heavy handedness and ruthlessness so prevalent in the 'caring" professions. Overall, the work environment is decent. Call outs aren't tolerated, a welcome change from most tertiary health care facilities.

Cons

Pay is below market and the company doesn't offer shift differentials. The corporate culture comes off almost as a cult; with endless retreats and pep rallies for managers that creates an us versus them of insiders versus outsiders. There is also a disturbing lack of diversity, with the majority of management middle-aged suburban white females, which acts as an informally exclusionary good old girls club. Front line staff are forced to carry the internal cell phones with them even on the unpaid lunch break, meaning many people work without getting paid for that half-hour since meal times are constantly disrupted with resident calls. Staff levels aren't always up to resident acuity,

Empty promises

Former Employee - Resident Aide  in  Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Resident Aide in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Brightview Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty building? They sell a pretty picture that's the best I can come up with here. I'm stretching a lot.

Cons

There are no substance to the "leaders" of this company. They are hired if they know the right person. Higher ups turn a blind eye to blatant disregard for policy if you are in the in crowd. Buildings are pretty but the care is subpar.

Hire people who are actually qualified for the position. Break up the rampant cliques throughout the company.

Big let down

Current Employee - Management  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Management in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly associates, nice buildings, thats it

Cons

Executive Director is known to treat his managers badly, yet he is allowed to do it. Those who complain to upper management, get targeted as "difficult."

Listen to your managers and support them instead of condemning them. Why is it ok for the executive Director to behave very poorly towards others, yet if someone is struggling in their role, they are targeted and told it is "personal."

Overall, my experience at Brightview has been disappointing.

Current Employee - Senior Concierge  in  East Norriton, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Concierge in East Norriton, PA

I have been working at Brightview Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I went to Brightview almost 3 years ago because I had a desire to work in human services, specifically with seniors. It is extremely fulfilling on a personal level knowing that my presence there is a comfort to my residents & their family members. On a business level, I have contributed a great deal to the company that I am very proud of.

Cons

I have been let down by this company both personally and professionally. I have been denied advancement in position despite my workload tripling in the last 2 1/2 years. The community is mismanaged, which results in a hostile & negative working environment.

Treat everyone equally - don't ignore one employees' bad behavior and discipline another for the same or lesser offense. Terminate employees whose behavior warrants termination; don't give them 10 more chances to repeat the behavior.

Just Don't

I worked at Brightview Senior Living

Pros

I don't have any best reasons to work there. The buildings are pretty and they provide the same services as every other ALF does

Cons

Unprofessional childish Management. a totally profit driven company with a need to keep their image young and 'vibrant'. That means they don't like employees over 50. They talk a good game, but...the pudding stinks

grow up

Worked for Brightview Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!