Brightwater

Brightwater Reviews

Updated February 12, 2015
Updated February 12, 2015

David Bloch

A great experience and the best job of my career

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Brightwater full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great management, great brand and great fun. It's a company committed to excellence and that takes a lot of work, but I loved being part of a really top-notch and ambitious company. The brand made it easy to make money with almost all my jobs just phoned in. It also meant I could be a proper Consultant, rather than just a salesperson. It was much more fun and satisfying to be treated with respect by client and candidates. The philosophy of the company was all about being an advisor and business partner. It really is/was the best part of my career.

Cons

Like in all recruitment companies there was a high turnover of staff from new people into the industry. It can be disturbing to have people come and go.

Be more careful about who you hire, or tell new people into the industry that half of you will leave within a year. You should also tell new people that if you can do it, there is no better industry than recruitment, and no better company to work for (I worked for 2 others before, and Brightwater was by far the best and most fun).

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A great place to work and like all great companies it strives to offer the best service it can to both candidates and clients alike. I have always been supported both professionally and personally by Brightwater, not only by my direct management but also by the Board, who take a personal interest in their teams. We work in a very competitive industry that is based on developing relationships and credibility, neither of which happen overnight and take time to nurture and develop.
    We work fundamentally in a sales driven environment, which is target driven, financial and non-financial, but certainly not at the cost of integrity or credibility. I'd also like to note that our targets are mutually agreed between ourselves and our direct manager, so they are discussed, realistic and challenging but certainly not above and beyond a ridiculous figure. Each division within the business has certain nuances to its own particular sector or discipline so its difficult to have a one-size fits all approach to targets but it is very fairly managed.
    All of Brightwater's managers are experienced recruiters and have a proven background in developing their teams and their specific divisions. Brightwater extensively invests in its staff both professionally through T&D and socially/personally with our social and company events, which are quite generous, certainly by industry standards. Trust me, we enjoy our fun nights out and events, because we deserve them!
    Being a recruiter is not a career for everyone and it certainly is not an easy option if you are looking at changing careers or starting out in sales/HR. Some would say there are easier ways to earn money but the highs are high and the lows can be low but it certainly is a very rewarding professional career, not only financially but commercially.
    Brightwater has a great bunch of people in its business with a very energetic, positive attitude who want to be the best at what they do. Of course we make mistakes, we're human after all, but we strive to be the best, we have a very honest, ethical, professional approach to how we do business and we will continue to challenge, grow and diversify. It's in our DNA!

Cons

Its a pressurised industry so working at Brightwater is no different but within all the day to day pressure we have fun and everyone is totally supported. Be prepared to not only work hard but more importantly work smart! Rewards are high but it doesn't happen overnight. You got to be prepared to take the time for your client base to grow and of course to develop and hone your recruitment skills.
    If you thrive under healthy pressure then its a role for you. We work hard & smart but we play hard too!

Continue to hire and select for attitude & acumen and then train for skill, certainly for inexperienced/first time recruiters.
    The cost of getting a hire wrong is not only financial but also affects morale, energy and team productivity.

Great company altogether

Former Employee - Team Leader in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Brightwater full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had a really good time at the company. I worked there 3.5 years and made great friends. The company has a great brand which makes it easier because it's always noisy and busy. I found the management to be strong and fair. I would thoroughly recommend Brightwater and really wish I'd never left. That's the truth.

Cons

It's quite pressurised. I didn't mind that, in fact I thrived in the energy, but it's not for everyone.

I thought the company was really well run. I left because I thought I could get a better opportunity and a better title which in a way I did, but I missed the buzz of Brightwater and perhaps the management should explain opportunities better to the staff. It was my first job in recruitment and I thought I could move and get something better elsewhere. I couldn't and thoroughly recommend the company (and don't understand the other reviews at all - not my experience which was great).

A great place to work. Hardworking environment with super people.

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am not one to put pen to paper on occasions like this and I am a firm believer in people voicing their opinions if justified but I do feel compelled to write something here to refute what has been stated in previous comments. The reason I am doing so is that what is written is so overtly opposing to both my own experience and many if not all of my current colleagues.
    I have worked in recruitment for 12 years. I have worked in other agencies and I have never been guided, mentored or respected as a work colleague as much as I have in Brightwater. I have had many successful years recruiting. I have grown desks in different areas and managed teams from 3 to 11 members. I have enjoyed the dizzy highs of getting something over the line, the support from my manager’s and colleagues when that happens, the praise, the constant encouragement. I have loved all of that. I have loved being a supporter too when my colleagues are doing well.
    Not all of my years in recruitment have resulted in me reaching the goals that were clearly set out by both myself and my managers at my reviews. I have struggled often, dealt with enormous disappointments, become frustrated and disheartened, got cross, disconsolate and felt all of the emotions associated with being unsuccessful and not doing well. I have sometimes not accepted full responsibility when I could have done more. However, I have never been supported more, assisted, trained or aided as I have in Brightwater. I have never been micro managed, ordered, spoken to disrespectfully or disregarded when I was below what I should and could have been. I have been helped. I suppose the difference for me is that I wanted to be helped. We all know when we are giving our best. I knew when I wasn’t and was still encouraged and supported to get back on to my path again.
    There is no mention in previous comments about impromptu evenings out or evenings in where we are treated to more than most companies would even consider. Half day’s events and nights away for hitting half-yearly targets, weekends abroad and a Christmas party that most have only ever heard about in time’s passed. Ongoing training, oodles of opportunities to voice if there is a struggle or someone is going through a hard time. Mentoring, guidance and support.
    I am very happy to be employed by a company that promotes personal development and rewards hard work. I am also very grateful that Brightwater have stuck with me when I haven’t given my all. I am indebted that my Managers and Directors afforded me opportunities to try again and supported me every step of the way. I love working in an environment with great people and a healthy and optimistic intention of moving forward. I love the openness of the Brightwater culture for those that want to be a part of it, a CEO and board of Directors that are kind, humble and denouncing of any hierarchy. For all that have not shared my experience I would suggest a look inwardly. Did you do your best? Or were you just someone that expected someone else to make your best happen for you? Did you think you were better than your colleague’s, client’s or candidate’s opinions of you? I have had to look inwardly too and fortunately reached my own answers and I am still here. It is inspiring to read all the testimonials on Linked In from candidates and clients for all my colleagues; Recruitment Consultants, Team Leads, Managers and Directors. I am enormously proud to be part of that team and I look forward to many years more at Brightwater in what is an energetic, dynamic, supportive and wonderful place to work.

Cons

Pressurised environment as with any sales role. However, you are never left to drown or feel alone. Plenty of support, rewards and fun along the way with lots of laughs.

More selective and discerning in new hires. Recruitment is not for everyone and it takes a long time to train someone who may never be successful. It creates disharmony when new hires get frustrated and creates a bad atmosphere.

Great place to work if you are willing to work hard!

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastic support, in particular directors and management are always open and delighted to offer advise. Having worked in agencies and knowing others who have worked in agencies Brightwater is head and shoulders above. No cheesy sales pitches or tactics, honest, up front and candidate focused.

Cons

Recruitment is tough, long hours and not a place for people unwilling to put in the hard yards. Bad days are rough, can be difficult to switch off but that's the business.

Continue with our current plans and the next 12 months and beyond looks very exciting!! Noticed somebody suggested the early finish on a Friday - that's an interesting suggestion : ) ��

A Recruitment Consultancy that values their employees and promotes a professional, ethical approach to recruitment.

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Brightwater Recruitment for over 3 years. My job here has not been easy and definitely challenging every day. However, in an high-pressure sales environment these are things, along with great support from management and colleagues, the newest tools and technology, an established brand and client base, that allow a good recruiter become a superstar. Brightwater does not take the easy approach to recruitment, we choose to do it right, and anything worth doing right is always hard. From day 1, this is something I immediately recognised in Brightwater.

I have found that Brightwater expects all of their staff to be great, not just average. Over my career here, this has stuck with me and my own personal success is a testament to how their business support plan for an employee works - once that person is open to listening, willing to set their sights sky high, understands their strengths and weaknesses, realises that they are always learning/growing and just simply wants to give 100%.

I am surrounded by some brilliant people here; consultants, directors, support staff and everyone in between. What's more, as a recruitment consultant, I am surrounded by some real superstars.

I can honestly say that I can't see myself working anywhere else. Sure there have been times that the pressure made me think "Is this for me?". But as a director once said to me, 'It admirable to push on through when things aren't going to plan. In the face of pressure it is important to be optimistic and that is brave." It is this advice, and plenty more, that has inspired me to reach my potential as a recruitment consultant in Brightwater. I just can't wait now to see what is in store for my next challenge.

Cons

The working hours can be tough but it is worth keeping in mind that this is a trait of the industry that we work in. In fact, my peers in other recruitment companies tell me that we actually have reasonable working hours compared to their own.

I would ask for a half day every Friday but that might be a tall order!!

A great place to work with excellent supportive colleagues.

I worked at Brightwater

Pros

A great place to work with excellent supportive colleagues.
    A strong team environment with a great work ethic. An opportunity to work alongside excellent, experienced recruiters and benefit from 'warm' desks where there are long-term established relationships. Approachable managers, great training and hard work is recognised and rewarded.

Cons

The fast-paced culture and high expectations may not suit everyone but for those willing to work hard, it is a great environment for a successful career in recruitment.

Great place to work

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really good induction and training in general. Internal support departments are excellent. Success-focussed hard-working environment.

Cons

Hard work and healthy stress levels are not for everyone (as you can see from some other posts) but I really enjoyed that part of the job. For me, that's recruitment and I love it!

Cult-like atmosphere - horrible place to work

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Brightwater

Pros

They are on PSL's, have a name in the market and invest in some good training programmes. But this should be a given considering they're around for so long.

Cons

I feel obliged to write something, as this forum for expressing open, honest views has been tampered with internally by management or the CEO. The last several comments painting BW as an amazing place to work are clearly fake. I worked here for nearly 2 years and never (apart from the Owner) met someone who considered this company as a 'great' place to work. I saw bullying, favouritism, unethical behaviour from management with clients/staff. It's a bizarre company - you get given out to like a school child if you are 5 minutes late from lunch or in the morning. There's a frenzy of paranoia from the CEO - no one gets promoted unless they're in the company 10 years, no one has access to emails outside of work, everyone must put on a fake smile or be given out to. Horrible environment that is counter productive for its staff - power hour, you must be on the phone for an hour in the morning to clients and if you're not, your manager will tell you to pick up the phone. Regardless if you're doing something more important! No incentive trips bar one in 2 years for me - and it wasn't all expensed by company, it cost me money. I have seen people break down in there due to the bullying; staff treated like call centre monkeys. People are grossly underpaid. Yes, the commission structure is ok, but it has to be when you're paying someone 25k after years in a company as a basic salary. NO BENEFITS - no healthcare, no mat leave, sick leave, nothing. They literally do not value anyone. Quite astonishing that management below (who have clearly written all the positive reviews) stay with this mad house - they're certainly not paid for it, brainwashed no doubt. The CEO constantly puts down people - nothing is ever good enough, just grinds people and works them until they leave; business model in a nutshell. Everyone is scared of him and it's like being in a cult at times.

Leave. You can work in better organisations for more money and a happier, more enjoyable environment. Value staff, promote people, encourage young people, pay them what they're worth and not what you can chance getting away with. Stop encouraging bully tactics, micro-management style; it's archaic and doesn't work anymore. Stop whispering over in corners talking about staff behind their backs - one of the biggest problems. I was accused of 'talking' about other members of staff after hours before; I felt like I was in a prison. Look at the most successful companies in business these days; they promote happy work-life employees and offer incentive trips etc. Look in the mirror and stop letting your own staff despise who they work for because they do, 90% of them.

Recruitment Consultant Dublin

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Brightwater full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good brand
    Good CEO
    Good Senior Director

Cons

Very small company with very small working space. I understand the negative comments on previous threads. Yes hire better staff

No need to let 50 percent go as directed in all of the positive comments. May be you need to employ a better internal recruiter. Understand your DNA. It's not trial and error. Brightwaterise your hiring process. Maybe the xfactor approach is not the way forward and belongs on TV only

Think quality not quantity to internal recruitment. Your approach is like self harm.

Keep with the grad recruiters. And Teach them to be the Best. But help them swim as opposed to awaiting to see if and when they sink. If 50 percent of your client placements left within 12 months. You would no longer have any clients. Please don't ask your staff to write good reviews to dilute the real issues. Deal with the issues and people would not bother to add negative reviews.

Oh yes. Don't be afraid of change.
    Training helps people to do better and be better
    Best of luck David Bloch. You are a good guy and you can fix it