Brink's, Incorporated

Updated October 17, 2014
1.8

Brink's, Incorporated Chairman President & CEO Thomas C. Schievelbein
Thomas C. Schievelbein

Pros
  • Good people in all ranks, however company is not that profitable anymore (in 12 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be a challenge but the workload is consistent and manageable even if excessive occasionally (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't understand that you can't always do more with less (in 11 reviews)

• benefits slashed for extra profit, stressful upper management, no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

great company!

Former Employee - Vault Clerk in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Vault Clerk in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great pay and the management is awesome. i worked in the vault and the environment was very easy going and laid back as long as you were doing your job. Easy to advance as long as you work hard.

Cons

long work hours. especially during holiday seasons.

To help out when your workers are shot staffed. Management always gets to go home early.

Not A Bad Company To Work For Could Be Worse

Current Employee - Messenger in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Messenger in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of pros with this company. The people I have worked with became a family to me. The branch managers Mark Rose and Clarence are like father figure roles even though they are managers. This company gives you top of the line equipment. They issue you bullet-resistant vest, weapons and duty rig. Not a lot of companies do that In my opinion is which why I recommend this company. Brinks is the most paid company. With paying there messengers 14.23 while Dunbar gets paid 11.00 Garda, and Loomis gets paid 13.00. I'm a driver and a messenger and I love to drive the new Armored drone its awesome. With all the jobs I have I look at this as a blessing, because its just not your typical security job were you stand a post or set at a desk looking at monitors, which it is a fail waiting to happen because I fall asleep very easily and we've all done it whoever worked security jobs like I did.To be honest I hate sitting and feeling trapped in a office. This company teaches you to protect your own while other companies tell you to drive off during a robbery. We have radios which allows us to stay in constant communication while on route. All together IN MY OPINION is a good company. I'm also a workaholic so working 15 hours every day don't bother me. Because in the end my paychecks make up good for it.

Cons

When you get hired or if you haven't herd yet. You will only be granted 5 hours a week overtime. Which in two weeks adds up to 10 hours and then go back to straight time. I get tired of people complaining about this. Mostly the old timers because they are use to making a lot of money. It is hard to get in contact with dispatch but when they radio for you they complain why you didn't answer 5 min ago. Maybe because I was driving is why I didn't awnser. This company is really how you make of it.

Get organized with dispatch. It will make our routes go so much smoother.

Messenger

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated

Pros

Plenty of work unlimited overtime but paid at straight time except for 5 hours per week secure job if you work buy the book

Cons

Plaque of workers KILLED on duty. No family life work minimum 60 hours a week plus holiday management is a joke never 1 district manager last more than 2 yrs. No advancement if you advance they fire you immediately. Will put you in dangerous condition meaning an atm in a bodega in the heart of the ghetto with no backup but driver with no weapon and if you refuse suspension and make you do it anyway and famous line if you don't do it somebody looking for a job will

They won't heed any advice why bother

Publicly traded company in upside phase of a corporate restructuring and turnaround for their North American division.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Relationship Manager in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Relationship Manager in Coppell, TX

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the oldest armored car services providers with a national footprint in most of the nation's top 100 metropolitan markets. North American division of this publicly traded company is focused heavily on a return to consistent quarterly profitability. Company is continuing to diversify it's services being offered to a wide variety of private & public sector companies. Employees across cross-functional teams willing to work together to attempt to resolve customer service issues.

Cons

Sales departments (internal & external) continue to be restructured/downsized along with the associated base pay & quarterly bonus compensation plan. Branch downsizing & occasional closings are producing a significantly higher daily productivity / workload for remaining employees.

Retain employees based on their job performance (management & customer satisfaction rankings). Inside sales layoffs were based on length of service. Invest a larger % of operating profits in areas which more positively enhance client services & account retention/growth efforts.

Good company, great people.

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The new leadership is committed to making this one of the best places to work, and I believe it will happen. We have great people that, when they feel engaged, make a huge difference. Most people take great pride in working for such an iconic company, with its rich history and storied traditions. Brink's is truly an American classic!

Cons

There are still too many naysayers. Every company has them. The kind that are always negative, never satisfied with their lives, and are intent on making everyone else around them as miserable as possible. Luckily, the number of these folks has dwindled over the past year, but a few remain. Here's some advice: if you are truly unhappy about your job, then leave. Life is too short. Go away and hopefully you'll find happiness somewhere else.

Don't be afraid to continue to weed out the naysayers. We don't need them around. They are just getting in the way of our significant progress.

Used to be a great company to work for - Not anymore.

Former Employee - Senior IT Manager in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Senior IT Manager in Coppell, TX

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work-Life balance
    In some places still they have good people.

Cons

Bad management
    Lots of politics
    Not a lot of good people left

Frustrating, Exhausting

Current Employee - Cash Logistics
    Current Employee - Cash Logistics

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I developed a sense of family with my co-workers.

Cons

I had to give up just about everything in my life except for work. A 40-hour work week would easily end with 55-60 hours. My health started to suffer due to the lack of sleep; I was told by management that I would be written up if I called off due to getting sick from working so much. HR does not allow proper staffing, but complains about the amount of overtime worked by each employee. I am also working in a position for which I am not getting paid because HR will only allow one manager and one supervisor when two supervisors are clearly needed. To make up for the second supervisor, I am working in that capacity while getting paid for a lead position (about $4.00 less and hour).

Think about your employees and what you are doing to them. You are treating employees as slaves, which is unacceptable. Hire more employees if a branch says they need more help instead of stretching everyone to their limits.

Good company to work for, would recommend

Former Employee - Messenger in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Messenger in Boston, MA

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Comes with medical, dental, 401k, benefits
    Usually hit overtime with each week
    If you and your driver know where you are going and what to do then you can be done by 3:00 or 4:00pm
    Yearly Raises
    Pay is good to start with

Cons

Days/Shifts can be long if you or your driver do not know where you are going
    Have to provide own GPS
    Not really much room for advancement within the company
    Paid bi-weekly
    Trucks tend to over-heat and breakdown
    As a messenger, you usually work by yourself

Employees should be paid better for performing better

The culture needed to change

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The companies benefits are hard to beat. An excellent 401K at the time I was there and it was difficult to walk away from that. Corporate at one time took care of it's managers and provided excellent training and oppurtunties to learn and excel.

Cons

When I left the company managers were no longer given the oppurtunity for training and or allowed to enhance their skills. Upper management didn't understand that you can't always do more with less. There is a very fine line and management needs to be given the right tools to try and do more with less. Managers are then left doing it all and working very long hours.

Provide the right tools and resources so your mangement and their staff can have a work life balance.

Don't Waste Your Time

Current Employee - Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a paycheck, but nothing else is really good about this employer.

Cons

Sneaky, underhanded management.
    Only hire minorities for manual labor, you will NOT see any in the front office. If you are hired for anything besides manual labor, they WILL watch you like a hawk and there are different rules/ regulations for you depending on how well you play the corporate game.

None, they can't be helped.

Brink's, Incorporated Photos