Brinker Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
3.4

Brinker Chairman, President, and CEO Doug Brooks
Doug Brooks

Pros
  • Flexible hours during down times (in 5 reviews)

• Compensation, structure, ability to move up and be promoted from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours management can treat you like a child (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Brinker

Current Employee - Server Bar Tender  in  La Verne, CA
    Current Employee - Server Bar Tender in La Verne, CA

I have been working at Brinker part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is the ability to make good money with part time work without much required from you as an employee. The big gamble is getting a decent crew of managers at your location, they make the job either fun and easy or simply intolerable.

Cons

Just because a person is smart and can pass the training or is bilingual, does not mean that they have the right personality or even what it takes to be a good manager for this company especially as a general manager.

Great Environment

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

Company provided a great environment

Cons

Team building needs help and management should know that

Enjoyed working here. Great staff. Tough, but good managament

Former Employee - Server  in  Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Brinker part-time for more than a year

Pros

Chilis has a pretty consistent number of people coming through the restaurant which helps with the money that you will make. Most of the people are pretty chill and it is a semi relaxed atmosphere

Cons

The customers can sometime be very difficult to work with. You will need to have a tough skin or develop one. Pay was okay, not great.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A bittersweet experience

Former Employee - Host  in  Gonzales, LA
    Former Employee - Host in Gonzales, LA

I worked at Brinker part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love working with the people. Really, my co-workers were awesome. Chili's is a very laid back place as long as you do your job. I had a great time with other FOH staff and guests.

Cons

Long hours. Management did not keep their promises to me. No chance for advancement within the company. After three years with them as a host not one raise. Not one. I asked multiple times to be trained in multiple roles and all I got were empty promises.

Keep your promises. Help balance work-life better. Managers blocked out EVERY holiday, festival, etc so no one could have time off to enjoy special events with families. I worked 3 Easters in a row.

manager

Former Employee - Managrr  in  Clark, NJ
    Former Employee - Managrr in Clark, NJ

I worked at Brinker full-time for more than a year

Pros

good base pay, fun work environment

Cons

long hours, high turnover, could use more support

more money to managers

Strongly recommend! Great culture! Professional development opportunities!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brinker full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Brinker is a great company to work for! The company offers a flexible work schedule, has a warm and inviting environment and truly cares about its team members. Also, I love how the company is committed to giving back to the community. From a professional standpoint, Brinker offers team members the opportunity to grow professionally and continue to advance their careers!!

Cons

Brinker has more of an unstructured environment. This is great, but the only downfall is that there are moments when expectations become a little fuzzy. However, on the upside, Brinker has tools in place that help us work through these communication challenges.

Like a donkey chasing a carrot on a stick

Former Employee - Prep Cook  in  Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Prep Cook in Sandy, UT

I worked at Brinker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The people you work with become family. Sure, there may be people that you don't especially get along with or even like working with, but you still like and respect them as a person.
    - The lower and mid-management staff are very personable and reasonable. They'll work with you to resolve issues whether it be your schedule, rate of pay, or the relationship with another employee.
    - The overall standard for food quality and cleanliness is high.
    - Extra-curricular activities like the annual softball tournament, dodgeball, and volleyball outings help in building trust, respect, and teamwork among the employees, but can also create rifts between people and help nurture social cliques within a particular store.

Cons

- Work-Life balance is nonexistent. When I transferred to Utah, I was a full-time student used to working 36 hours going to 55 hours for several weeks in a row. Several times I voiced my concern about the negative impact work was having on my studies and, despite how many times I was told there would be a remedy, there never was.
    - Constantly under-staffed. We never had enough people in the kitchen so overtime was a common thing. I expected to work 45+ hours each week simply because we didn't have the manpower.
    - Willful ignorance. There were several instances where I got to meet mid and high-level managers in the Utah market and voice my concerns, the biggest being the language barrier between English and Spanish. Rather than taking action to bridge the gap like offering ESL or SSL classes, their proposed solutions were along the lines of "make sure there is a bilingual team member on staff," or "use the translator app on your phone."
    - All talk and no walk. There's a difference between forgetting to address an issue and hoping a solution presents itself. There were several occasions where I would address issues to management about waste or quality that would seem to never go any further than that. When a team member consistently and constantly goes against health code and company policy without changing their habits, one can only assume that they are never punished for it. Also, If you form a committee with representatives from each department maybe there should be at least one meeting. Lastly, why go through all the trouble to create training modules and training people to train new hires based on these modules when we just throw them to the wolves without ever referring to the modules?
    - Little room to move up. In almost every instance where I got to meet and talk with mid or high-level managers, my studies were brought up as well as my desire to move up into the corporate structure. Every one of those discussions ended on a positive note but, despite applying to several positions and having a formal interview over the phone I never heard anything back from the talent acquisition department. The CEO told me to my face that the company needed more people like me but they let me slip through their fingers.

- Listen to your employees more. If they say that a particular job is becoming overwhelming, find a way to help them cope with it better instead of just comparing them to another store - belittling a person rarely motivates them to do a better job. If a person is in a bad mood and visibly displaying it, ask them about it rather than yelling at them about it. Putting them on the immediate defensive usually ends with disciplinary action.
    - Ask your employees to do things, don't tell them to. The phrase "I need..." is one of the most common ones I've ever heard in the food industry and, for an industry based around the guest, is an exceptionally greedy phrase. Eliminate this phrase from your vocabulary and your employees will respect you more.
    - Assign managers to departments in which they have knowledge. I know this is tough because 90% of managers that moved up in the company came from the FOH but it's extremely tough to respect a kitchen manager that doesn't even know at which temperature (in F or C) water boils. The 3 days per station that managers in training receive is not enough for them to gain an understanding for that station or how to properly operate or organize it.
    - Involve the HOH more in team-building exercises and games. The FOH get games every day and night to help boost their sales and their confidence, but there are rarely any of those types of opportunities offered to the HOH. The closest I've ever seen was "Safety Bingo" and the HOH wasn't even told about it until a week or so into the game.
    - Enforce the channels of communication. If the QA is supposed to serve as a liaison between the FOH and the HOH, then it should be enforced that all communication goes through that channel. Servers and To-Go personnel coming around to the back of the line to ask for a side or to explain a ticket is distracting and unsafe. Servers taking food out of the window and not informing the QA usually leads to it going to the wrong table and screws up somebody else's order.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Server  in  Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Server in Danbury, CT

I worked at Brinker part-time for more than a year

Pros

Teaches great fundamentals on how to be a good server and operate in a fast paced environment

Cons

Not a really great chance to make great money as a server, management will always take away tables on the best shifts

Great company..

Former Employee - Managing Partner/General Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Managing Partner/General Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Brinker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, focuses on people first, strong values.

Moderate room to move up at mid-level. Not much room at the top

Cons

No development. Unrealistic goals and bonus structure. No development programs.

Consider more work life balance. True advantages to being a GM besides pay scale.

For people very passionate about the casual dining industry.

I have been working at Brinker full-time

Pros

work-life balance, casual dress, location

Cons

leadership, not selective in hiring policies

Worked for Brinker? Contribute to the Community!