Brinker

Brinker Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Brinker Chairman, President, and CEO Doug Brooks

Doug Brooks

Pros
  • Flexible hours during down times(in 5 reviews)

• Compensation, structure, ability to move up and be promoted from within(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours management can treat you like a child(in 6 reviews)

Merciless and completely unsupportive management. No job security for even the most loyal workers.

Takeout/Deliveries (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

Pros-Occasionally good tips
    - Nice coworkers

Cons- Management will throw any employee "under the bus" and/or terminate them for any minor reason (if you're not randomly on their good side) without any counseling or correction first.
    - Unreasonable work conditions due to firing people without hiring/cross training additional employees to fill the positions.
    - Cannot speak your mind/voice reasonable opinions without repercussions.
    - Management (as well as the employee New Hire booklet) is unknowledgeable of employee rights and laws.
    - Empty promises of cross-training and promotions, cannot ask for any without getting shot down with no explanation. Only put where they want you without given the chance to prove yourself in other areas they still need someone.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry supporting your employees for once. At least give them a chance instead of always siding with every dissatisfied customer you encounter.

Worked for the company for ten years...

Bartender (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI don't have to work there anymore

ConsNew upper management are the same people that destroyed Macaroni Grill (when was the last time yo ate there?)
    All grills have been taken out (it still says grill above the door though... not too honest) and replaced with infared convection microwaves. But staff is trained to LIE to guests about this...SHADY!!!
    Tenured employees are shown the door because they want to "change the culture" every six months
    Bartenders are required to WATERDOWN drinks!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to fast food where you belong!

A Corporate Mess

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Lafayette, LA

ProsTwo days off a week. Other plus sides are that the current management is so rough that anything looks good in comparison so advancement is available.

ConsLack of management unity and in general a company that seems on the decline. There is a definable lack of quality to the product but quality is preached and yet it is non existant

Advice to Senior Managementthe really rough stores should be closely analyzed and shut down, cleaned, restaffed, retrained. Take management training seriously. If you don't the employees don't.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I havent been there long...

Server (Current Employee) Flanders, NJ

ProsIts work. I Like working with customers and serving them. I also enjoy solving problems and working thru things with the customers.

ConsIf you arent young, you wont get good shifts or promoted.
    The Manager just YELLS.. all the time. The Managers care about making money got themselves but not for anyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up.

Dallas treats their managers like numbers not people

Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFamily life, holidays closed and Salary

ConsWhen it comes down to it, Dallas does not take care of the managers that devote more time to them than their families. It used to be a situation where it was fun to go to work. It was awesome to work at Chili's. In the past 4 years it has turned from a place where you felt appreciated to a place you do not want to be. Bonuses used to be designed to reward their management but have now became a joke. They are not even 30% of what they used to be. Also if you get sick or go on medical leave they will try to find any reason to get you out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what your area managers are doing

For people very passionate about the casual dining industry.

Proswork-life balance, casual dress, location

Consleadership, not selective in hiring policies

It's a server job

Server (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours during down times. Fun crew to work with. Understanding management

ConsWorking on holidays mandatory. Restaurant is beginning to cater more to lower class customers. Identity crisis, do we want to be fine dining or do we want to be casual?

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit catering to the lower class.

Sad and disappointing

Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsWith the right Area Director your job can be enjoyable and rewarding.

ConsWith this company it's not what you know, it's who you know. The General Manager should have experience in restaurant management and work their way up the ladder. Brinker used to hire from within, unfortunately that is no longer the case. Retaliation is prevalent. Micro-managing is abundant. Lying is a daily occurrence.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes to what is going on in each restaurant on a daily basis. Check turnover of hourly team mates, training new people costs money. When someone calls the Whistle Blowers hotline, take their complaints seriously in a timely manner. Most employees complain about their job and move on, those with the passion to call in with an issue usually have valid complaints.

It will serve a purpose...for a time.

Server (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsFlexibility of schedule especially for those pursuing college degrees or other education

ConsBuilt upon a strong foundation some managers fail to carry through on values of the culture

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should thoroughly vet lower level management before hire

Not for those who care or want to succeed

Culinary Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou get a paycheck, that's it.

ConsAs a manager, you are constantly required to cut hours to make your budget/plan. By doing this, you are required to cook, be a dishwasher, be a server, be a host, run the window, etc. we put in 70 hour work weeks and then get the "you need to cut more hours" from the schedule.

Your GM is not held accountable. You will work your butt off to get ahead but at the end of the day, it's just to make them look good. I was recently told to "figure out the solution" for a problem we've had for a year. My GM doesn't care about it. Rather than hold him accountable, it's left to me. It's easier to tell me to do something rather than my boss who is ultimately the one who should be making those decisions

Work life balance is absolutely non existent. They talk a big game but there's no follow through.

I've been promotable for 2 years and have been passed over twice. They don't like promoting women. It's only happened once in my career (almost 8 years).

Advice to Senior ManagementHold GMs accountable for their location, not only their managers. Very few of us are getting the development we need and deserve. You are constantly telling us to. "Look in the mirror". May I suggest you do the same???

We can cut all the hours you want but that work is still there to do. Your managers aren't leaders, they are highly paid hourly workers.

Worked for Brinker? Contribute to the Community!