Brinker Reviews

Reset
4.0
Brinker CEO & President Wyman Roberts
Wyman Roberts

Pros
  • Work/life - flexible hours; often see kids or dogs in office; on-campus gym (in 5 reviews)

• Great culture, career developers, many professional connections (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, high turnover, could use more support (in 8 reviews)

• Work-Life balance is nonexistent (in 3 reviews)

Chili's - a stable job, but not a ton of growth.

Current Employee - Managing Partner in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Partner in San Jose, CA

Pros

1. Balanced Scheduling, which is hard to find in the industry. 2. Committment to Quality of Life throughout the company. 3. Fair salaries. 4. Well-known concept, popular within the community. 5. They give back to the communities that they are in through donations, fundraisers, etc.

Cons

1. A slow down in growth has caused there to be very few opportunities in all departments. 2. Lack of continuity from store to store, region to region. 3. Lots of shifts in what is important, they have a tendency not to stick to their guns. 4. Very bottom line focused currently. 5. Poorly trained learning managers - no ongoing development.

Advice to Management

1. More focus on creating top line sales. 2. Raises based on actual performance of the individual - everyone got the same raises last year! 3. Create better training programs and ongoing training for managers!! Soon!!

2. Need to evaluate the model to ensure the constant change from buying/selling/franchising companies is really necessary.

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

Pros

The people are wonderful. I know a lot of people would say that, but for this company it was so far beyond what I expected that at first I was a little suspicious. Never have I had bosses and coworkers who cared as much about me as a person as they did about me as a professional. That sort of culture is contagious, and I think Brinker has continued to bring in great people. I can also say that I never once saw a decision that was made that was without the best of intentions. While no leadership team ever makes all the right decisions, they always acted in the best interest of the company and were quick to change their path as soon as the result weren't headed in the right direction.

Cons

The restaurant industry is a tough one to be a part of right now and has been for a few years. It's hard to have to say goodbye to friends and coworkers when the results force restaurants to close and people to be laid off. This is not unique to Brinker or even the restaurant industry, and I must say, I felt the employees were treated fairly in each case. Other challenges just include the nature of the industry itself - weekends are the busiest times, few holidays, long hours, etc. But, for those of us who love the industry, I think we thrive on that kind of schedule!

Advice to Management

I would advice Sr. Mgmt that although there have been a ton of changes, they should stay true to who they are and remember their values as they go into new roles, perhaps supporting different concepts and working for new leaders. Brinker is special because of it's history. No company I have worked for had a stronger sense of that history and how it makes them unique. My fear is that in all of the upheaval, this could be lost or forgotten. While I think the leaders who were in place when I left would never forget that family like culture, where it's okay to have fun, because we should have fun taking care of the guests, it can be easy to lose that when too many leadership roles are replaced.

3. Fun place to wait tables

Former Employee - Waiter
    Former Employee - Waiter

Pros

You get to write your name upside down with crayons on their paper table cloths, where goofy ties, and break out into spontaneous italian songs.

Cons

Its a corporate restaurant so they give you three table sections to which you make mediocre pay compared to some private restaurants which give you as many tables as you can handle.

Advice to Management

Performed competently but seemed to switch management a lot. Careful of the line between boss and friends, and don't play favorites.

5. Good job while in college

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI

Pros

flexible hours, most money you'll probably make while going to school. great training system. if you need a day off, there are people there that can take em.

Cons

training takes about a month, can get very stressful. management are sticklers because it is a corporate company. not bad though

Advice to Management

there seemed to be a lot of favoritism, but if I were a manager, I would do the same thing.

Used to be great, but not anymore

Former Employee - Corporate Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Director in Dallas, TX

Pros

Fun business to work in. Encourages a family atmosphere. Very casual environment. Easy to achieve balance between work and personal time. For the most part, fair, equitable, friendly environment.

Cons

Way too laid back about standard processes, procedures and guidelines. Technology sucks -- most things were standard in the 1980s. There is rampant favoritism and people who should have been fired years ago are still hanging on. The casual dining industry needs a complete overhaul and Brinker is definitely behind the times. They are trying some new things, but some of those experiments are totally wacky. Woe to the person who speaks up to the crazy talk. If you aren't part of the wacky in-crowd, you may be out.

Advice to Management

Some of the dinosaurs need to step aside, already.

7. its pretty good

Current Employee - Server in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Austin, TX

Pros

It is good for a college student. I wouldnt make it a career but it was good for me through college. not bad

Cons

Depending on if you work in a big city it can be pretty slow which can be bad especially if you are trying to make this a career which i highly suggest not to.

Advice to Management

Care more about the employees in some cases.

8. It has been satisfactory but not fulfilling to my expectations.

Current Employee - Server in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Server in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Flexible hours, dynamic/energizing environment. Great working with the public. Ability to advance if you show that you want to.

Cons

High turnover rate, which leads to unpredictability in staff, clientele is difficult to work with and overall pay varies day to day

Advice to Management

We need a better solution for customer feedback

Relationship-oriented company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress - flip flops, shorts, tank tops are normal Food/beverage connection - 100% discount at chili's, 50% at Maggiano's; there's always food around; company events often include margaritas, beer, etc. Work/life - flexible hours; often see kids or dogs in office; on-campus gym Relationship-oriented - collaboration culture; building relationships is crucial to success; CEO Doug Brooks sets great example, knows literally every employees' name

Cons

Public company - mood of company is tied to performance; more pressure if sales are down Food connection - "The Brinker 20" is real Large company - culture sometimes feels small, but usually hierarchical and slow in making decisions because have to check off and include everybody Inconsistent leadership examples - Maggiano's president has great personality and very personable, Chili's president is dry, not approachable, intimidating

Advice to Management

Keep culture and fun going even if sales are down Find ways to get decisions made more quickly

10. Excellent

Former Employee - Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Brinker full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great culture, fun place to work

Cons

downsizing, sold brands and jobs were eliminated

Advice to Management

take care of people

11. A great opportunity to further your career.

Former Employee - Area Sales Manager - Atlanta in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Area Sales Manager - Atlanta in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Brinker full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation, structure, ability to move up and be promoted from within.

Cons

Huge company, small budgets, very share holder oriented.

Advice to Management

Put more stock into employee ability to move intra-company.

RSS Feed </> Embed