Brinker Reviews

Reset

1. Sad and disappointing

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Brinker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With the right Area Director your job can be enjoyable and rewarding.

Cons

With this company it's not what you know, it's who you know. The General Manager should have experience in restaurant management and work their way up the ladder. Brinker used to hire from within, unfortunately that is no longer the case. Retaliation is prevalent. Micro-managing is abundant. Lying is a daily occurrence.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to what is going on in each restaurant on a daily basis. Check turnover of hourly team mates, training new people costs money. When someone calls the Whistle Blowers hotline, take their complaints seriously in a timely manner. Most employees complain about their job and move on, those with the passion to call in with an issue usually have valid complaints.

2. It will serve a purpose...for a time.

Current Employee - Server in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Server in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule especially for those pursuing college degrees or other education

Cons

Built upon a strong foundation some managers fail to carry through on values of the culture

Advice to Management

Upper management should thoroughly vet lower level management before hire

3. Not for those who care or want to succeed

Current Employee - Culinary Manager
    Current Employee - Culinary Manager

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck, that's it.

Cons

As a manager, you are constantly required to cut hours to make your budget/plan. By doing this, you are required to cook, be a dishwasher, be a server, be a host, run the window, etc. we put in 70 hour work weeks and then get the "you need to cut more hours" from the schedule.

Your GM is not held accountable. You will work your butt off to get ahead but at the end of the day, it's just to make them look good. I was recently told to "figure out the solution" for a problem we've had for a year. My GM doesn't care about it. Rather than hold him accountable, it's left to me. It's easier to tell me to do something rather than my boss who is ultimately the one who should be making those decisions

Work life balance is absolutely non existent. They talk a big game but there's no follow through.

I've been promotable for 2 years and have been passed over twice. They don't like promoting women. It's only happened once in my career (almost 8 years).

Advice to Management

Hold GMs accountable for their location, not only their managers. Very few of us are getting the development we need and deserve. You are constantly telling us to. "Look in the mirror". May I suggest you do the same???

We can cut all the hours you want but that work is still there to do. Your managers aren't leaders, they are highly paid hourly workers.

5. Server

Former Employee - Chili Head in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Chili Head in Orlando, FL

I worked at Brinker part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There were no pros to ths job

Cons

Exploitation. taking advantage of. all things they specialize in...

Advice to Management

Get an education...then criticize your employees.

6. Disappointing

Former Employee - Bar Tender in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Bar Tender in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Brinker

Pros

Flexible schedule, ability to make good tips and meet new people.

Cons

Corporate does not value longtime employees. Management is constantly changing.

Advice to Management

Get away from putting food into Infrared warmers. Make food fresh ready to order. Focus on building regular customers instead of turning tables.

7. Transitional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Brinker

Pros

large company with growth opportunities

Cons

Inconsistent leadership
    Inconsistent policies and procedures at store level

Advice to Management

Empower managers and team members be to engaged in the direction of the company

8. high pressure

Current Employee - Market Manager
    Current Employee - Market Manager

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

the people and the culture make this company a reat place to work all of the time. Flexibility in roles

Cons

When times are tough, unfortunately the restaurant busy suffers and scrambles to stay afloat. That is the case with Brinker

Advice to Management

Please listen to the folks that work in the restaurants every day. Try promoting from within and providing career counseling

9. Another waiting job that, well, is waiting.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

Flexibility and quick money. Not bad for a part-time worker, full-time college student.

Cons

Customers are demanding since its a chain restaurant. There is a significantly high amount of turnover. Its a rather dirty industry as well.

Advice to Management

Offer more hourly since the economy has crushed tips.

10. Learn and Leave

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Concord, CA

I worked at Brinker

Pros

It was a great place to learn the fundamentals. At times the company was very organized and planned ahead. Some of the policies were strict and easy to follow.

Cons

Very little regard for amount of hours worked by salaried employees. I worked 100 hour weeks and was never given any additional time off.

When new standards or policies were introduced there were few tools available to institute them. One year Catering was made a critical component of our job but no catering training or supplies were offered.

In the last few years of my employment they began making rash decisions with little forethought other than, "We must do this because our competitor is doing it."

Advice to Management

Area Directors can be good or bad but Brinker had several poor Area Directors who were responsible for many of the better people leaving. These same Area Directors OFTEN broke the very rules they maintained (such as fraternization) and showed poor leadership. Who is managing the mid-managers?

11. Restaurant Manager

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Charleston, WV

I worked at Brinker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GOOD STAFF, FUN TO do St. JUDES. LOTS OF COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT. DECENT HOURS

Cons

Always changing, no consistency with rules, menu or ethics. D.m. makes our decisions and puts it on lower management. Bad place for business.

RSS Feed </> Embed