Brinker Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Brinker satisfies it's reputation as an "ok" place to work.

Former Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Brinker

Pros

Large company with many locations. There is a significant feeling of "family" with the area you work in. With the large number of locations, it is easy to move or transfer to a different area if your personal situation requires it. You can get experience in a variety of different environments and with a number of different managements styles. Each location has it's own feel.

Cons

Too much competition for too few jobs. If you are not in a large area and near the leadership team, it is very difficult to be recognized and noticed. Often times they will loose good management to "burnout", simply from being left in the same role without any recognition for such a long time. There is definitely a bit of an "inside" group that you have to fit into to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Spend some time in the restaurants. Spend less time "knee-jerking". Spend more time planning and less time reacting.

2. Macaroni Grill is not a terrible restaurant to work at.

Current Employee - Server Assistant in Mandeville, LA
    Current Employee - Server Assistant in Mandeville, LA

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

It is very easy once you learn the menu, policies, and procedures. The money is not the most you could make working in a restaurant but for the amount of work you have to do it is adequate. Managers are very receptive to time off needs.

Cons

Some of the managers are not very good with people skills. Upper management has completely lost touch with the day to day operations of the stores. The quality of your co-workers can vary from excellent to terrible or creepy. Hourly pay for now back of the house work is always below minimum wage and you will not get a raise no matter what.

Advice to Management

Work in every position for the rate of pay each position receives for a month.

3. exceeds

Former Employee - Server in Cedar Hill, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Cedar Hill, TX

I worked at Brinker

Pros

great fellow employees to work with, we partied all the time and so did the entire team off and on the clock

Cons

had to be at work on time and did not have any smoke breaks for the cooks or servers and the managers did not smoke either

Advice to Management

don't worry so much, be happy life is too short to get all stressed out over things that do not matter when it is all said and done

5. Not much fun anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Brinker

Pros

Used to be a very fun company, low pressure company. When faced with making things difficult or simple, the answer was "We're a burger company!" so simple was better.

Cons

Clung to closely to demands of individuals, both in operations and corporate. Some departments recognized limited resources and planned/filtered accordingly. Other departments thought "it's not my budget that is impacted if I demand the moon".

Advice to Management

Tame the Divas. In the departments that spend the most, look at which other departments are demanding the most from them and evaluate the demands they place on others (HR!)

6. OK>

Current Employee - L2 Analyst, Front Line in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - L2 Analyst, Front Line in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

Comp card allowing free meals at some of their restaurants, supportive coworkers, occasionally able to telecommute

Cons

Split days off, unusual hours, traffic in the area

Advice to Management

Review your salaries and treat your employees a little better, a better work/life balance would be nice

7. High standard,s but a face in the crowd.

Current Employee - Liine Cook in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Liine Cook in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

Very well organized, I was very well trained at my position. Impressed with the high quality of ingredients used and health and cleanliness standards are very high.

Cons

Corporate feel, rigid rules, every minute of your time spent working, no smoke breaks, sometimes you feel like a face in the crowd.

Advice to Management

For the love of god, pay us more. I am a culinary professional and cooks arguably have the worst jobs in the company. It is the love, not the money that keeps us in this profession.

It's Fajita's and Rita's

Current Employee - General Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - General Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

The restaurant business is what you make of it. The great thing about being a manager is that you only need to be self motivated to achieve results on a daily basis. That being said, you need to know when and how to pat yourself on the back for a job well done, and motivate others to follow you. People think, 'How hard can it be?'. Trust me, you don't want to enter this environment with little or no knowledge about the industry.

Cons

Productivity is the key word… while commodity prices continue to go up, instead of passing the cost on to the consumer, Brinker has decided it would be better to do more with less. At some point being productive will break those that are working for you.

Advice to Management

Brinker's Board should decided how to deal with Doug as the ultimate leader of this business. We have been through everyone else, but there sits Doug on his throne. The untouchable king. I know that Norman hand picked the guy, but I believe there is more talented leaders in our industry, that could take Brinker forward quicker. Look how long it has taken Brinker to decide to dump the BRS and got to Aloha… and we can't even do that right...

9. Nothing new at Chili's

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

Mid level management and below you'll find great, smart people who are willing to help you out.

Cons

Cross functional team dynamics are below par. Company fosters an us vs. them mentality between teams. Senior management willing to rest on laurels and often finds themselves behind the curve vs. competition. Difficult for innovative ideas to bubble to the top...more willingness to try what competitors have had success with rather than be first out of the gate.

Advice to Management

It's okay to be first...don't be afraid to step out alone. Second place is last place...and Chili's is approaching third place among it's competitive set.

10. Chilis

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Culture, great people, great tradition, great reputation, job security,

Cons

More and More is put on your plate with tighter regulations and restrictions. Recognition not what it used be for loyal and tenured employees. Doing a great job in a particular area only brings higher expectations for the next year until you are bound to fail.

11. Average

Current Employee - Managing Partner/General Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Managing Partner/General Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love Chili's. Flexible work hours and schedule. Pay for performance, the bette you do, the better you make.

Cons

Health benefits are sub par. Used to be an industry leader in this, but have fallen way behind.

Advice to Management

Think 5-10 years ahead. Unemployment will return to the lows it was 5-6 years ago, at which point you will need something to attract talent.

RSS Feed </> Embed