Brinker Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
3.4

Brinker Chairman, President, and CEO Doug Brooks
Doug Brooks

Pros
  • Flexible hours during down times (in 5 reviews)

• Compensation, structure, ability to move up and be promoted from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours management can treat you like a child (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Has gone from "work hard, play hard" to just "work hard". No one "Play's Restaurant" any more.

I have been working at Brinker full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Although there has been a lot of turnover, there are still phenomenal people at Brinker. I very much enjoy working with them every day and moving the business forward.

Cons

More and more of the new people in the company embody the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. While driving for some monthly result, they drive over coworkers. Several months of this sort of behavior has taken its toll, creating more and more of an "us vs. them" attitude. Brinker is losing its family unity.

The focus on listening to the managers and flattening communication with the field has been great. There is no reason that we had to stop doing the same at the Home Office. The Home Office is smaller than ever, yet the casual face-to-face with leadership is at an all-time low.

They were very impersonal with "lower level" employees

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

They have sporting events for all employees to participate in.

Cons

They're a huge corporation who can't remember someone's name.

Let server's wear better clothes.

Chilis

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brinker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Culture, great people, great tradition, great reputation, job security,

Cons

More and More is put on your plate with tighter regulations and restrictions. Recognition not what it used be for loyal and tenured employees. Doing a great job in a particular area only brings higher expectations for the next year until you are bound to fail.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Money was great

Former Employee - Bartender
    Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at Brinker full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ability to move up within restaurant quickly.
    Money was great
    Fun atmosphere

Cons

Constant changes within menu and policies
    No sense of direction

Try to keep on the same page

Nothing new at Chili's

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

Mid level management and below you'll find great, smart people who are willing to help you out.

Cons

Cross functional team dynamics are below par. Company fosters an us vs. them mentality between teams.
    Senior management willing to rest on laurels and often finds themselves behind the curve vs. competition.
    Difficult for innovative ideas to bubble to the top...more willingness to try what competitors have had success with rather than be first out of the gate.

It's okay to be first...don't be afraid to step out alone. Second place is last place...and Chili's is approaching third place among it's competitive set.

It's Fajita's and Rita's

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - General Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

The restaurant business is what you make of it. The great thing about being a manager is that you only need to be self motivated to achieve results on a daily basis. That being said, you need to know when and how to pat yourself on the back for a job well done, and motivate others to follow you. People think, 'How hard can it be?'. Trust me, you don't want to enter this environment with little or no knowledge about the industry.

Cons

Productivity is the key word… while commodity prices continue to go up, instead of passing the cost on to the consumer, Brinker has decided it would be better to do more with less. At some point being productive will break those that are working for you.

Brinker's Board should decided how to deal with Doug as the ultimate leader of this business. We have been through everyone else, but there sits Doug on his throne. The untouchable king. I know that Norman hand picked the guy, but I believe there is more talented leaders in our industry, that could take Brinker forward quicker. Look how long it has taken Brinker to decide to dump the BRS and got to Aloha… and we can't even do that right...

You work hard, but have fun.

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

The company seems to care about their employees, great training and job advancement but you have to work hard. It is great to interact with different people and every day is different.

Cons

Quality of life is not a priority. You have to work a lot of hours and are stressed most of the time.
    Your scheduale is at the discretion of your general manager.
     A lot of times your area manager will not listen to your ideas/complaints but just tell your GM that you are complaining.
    Things seem to change frequently. They change for the "better", but then change again a couple months later.

Give more reward and recognition to employees who work hard and are dedicated. Stick with one idea instead of changing things every few months. Don't change more than one major thing at a time. A menu change, computer system change and scheduling change all at the same time is not going to be successful.

High standard,s but a face in the crowd.

Current Employee - Liine Cook  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Liine Cook in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

Very well organized, I was very well trained at my position. Impressed with the high quality of ingredients used and health and cleanliness standards are very high.

Cons

Corporate feel, rigid rules, every minute of your time spent working, no smoke breaks, sometimes you feel like a face in the crowd.

For the love of god, pay us more. I am a culinary professional and cooks arguably have the worst jobs in the company. It is the love, not the money that keeps us in this profession.

OK>

Current Employee - L2 Analyst, Front Line  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - L2 Analyst, Front Line in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

Comp card allowing free meals at some of their restaurants, supportive coworkers, occasionally able to telecommute

Cons

Split days off, unusual hours, traffic in the area

Review your salaries and treat your employees a little better, a better work/life balance would be nice

Not much fun anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Brinker

Pros

Used to be a very fun company, low pressure company. When faced with making things difficult or simple, the answer was "We're a burger company!" so simple was better.

Cons

Clung to closely to demands of individuals, both in operations and corporate. Some departments recognized limited resources and planned/filtered accordingly. Other departments thought "it's not my budget that is impacted if I demand the moon".

Tame the Divas. In the departments that spend the most, look at which other departments are demanding the most from them and evaluate the demands they place on others (HR!)

Brinker Photos

Brinker has fun company-wide meetings. This was circus themed, with senior leadership dressed as clowns.
Todd Wilbur filmed the show Top Secret Recipe on Brinker campus.
Chili

+ Add Photo

Worked for Brinker? Contribute to the Community!