Brinker

Brinker Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Brinker Chairman, President, and CEO Doug Brooks

Doug Brooks

Pros
  • Flexible hours during down times (in 5 reviews)

• Compensation, structure, ability to move up and be promoted from within (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours management can treat you like a child (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Has gone from "work hard, play hard" to just "work hard". No one "Play's Restaurant" any more.

ProsAlthough there has been a lot of turnover, there are still phenomenal people at Brinker. I very much enjoy working with them every day and moving the business forward.

ConsMore and more of the new people in the company embody the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. While driving for some monthly result, they drive over coworkers. Several months of this sort of behavior has taken its toll, creating more and more of an "us vs. them" attitude. Brinker is losing its family unity.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe focus on listening to the managers and flattening communication with the field has been great. There is no reason that we had to stop doing the same at the Home Office. The Home Office is smaller than ever, yet the casual face-to-face with leadership is at an all-time low.

They were very impersonal with "lower level" employees

ProsThey have sporting events for all employees to participate in.

ConsThey're a huge corporation who can't remember someone's name.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet server's wear better clothes.

Chilis

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat Culture, great people, great tradition, great reputation, job security,

ConsMore and More is put on your plate with tighter regulations and restrictions. Recognition not what it used be for loyal and tenured employees. Doing a great job in a particular area only brings higher expectations for the next year until you are bound to fail.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Money was great

Bartender (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to move up within restaurant quickly.
    Money was great
    Fun atmosphere

ConsConstant changes within menu and policies
    No sense of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep on the same page

Nothing new at Chili's

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMid level management and below you'll find great, smart people who are willing to help you out.

ConsCross functional team dynamics are below par. Company fosters an us vs. them mentality between teams.
    Senior management willing to rest on laurels and often finds themselves behind the curve vs. competition.
    Difficult for innovative ideas to bubble to the top...more willingness to try what competitors have had success with rather than be first out of the gate.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's okay to be first...don't be afraid to step out alone. Second place is last place...and Chili's is approaching third place among it's competitive set.

It's Fajita's and Rita's

General Manager (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe restaurant business is what you make of it. The great thing about being a manager is that you only need to be self motivated to achieve results on a daily basis. That being said, you need to know when and how to pat yourself on the back for a job well done, and motivate others to follow you. People think, 'How hard can it be?'. Trust me, you don't want to enter this environment with little or no knowledge about the industry.

ConsProductivity is the key word… while commodity prices continue to go up, instead of passing the cost on to the consumer, Brinker has decided it would be better to do more with less. At some point being productive will break those that are working for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBrinker's Board should decided how to deal with Doug as the ultimate leader of this business. We have been through everyone else, but there sits Doug on his throne. The untouchable king. I know that Norman hand picked the guy, but I believe there is more talented leaders in our industry, that could take Brinker forward quicker. Look how long it has taken Brinker to decide to dump the BRS and got to Aloha… and we can't even do that right...

You work hard, but have fun.

Restaurant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe company seems to care about their employees, great training and job advancement but you have to work hard. It is great to interact with different people and every day is different.

ConsQuality of life is not a priority. You have to work a lot of hours and are stressed most of the time.
    Your scheduale is at the discretion of your general manager.
     A lot of times your area manager will not listen to your ideas/complaints but just tell your GM that you are complaining.
    Things seem to change frequently. They change for the "better", but then change again a couple months later.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more reward and recognition to employees who work hard and are dedicated. Stick with one idea instead of changing things every few months. Don't change more than one major thing at a time. A menu change, computer system change and scheduling change all at the same time is not going to be successful.

High standard,s but a face in the crowd.

Liine Cook (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery well organized, I was very well trained at my position. Impressed with the high quality of ingredients used and health and cleanliness standards are very high.

ConsCorporate feel, rigid rules, every minute of your time spent working, no smoke breaks, sometimes you feel like a face in the crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the love of god, pay us more. I am a culinary professional and cooks arguably have the worst jobs in the company. It is the love, not the money that keeps us in this profession.

OK>

L2 Analyst, Front Line (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsComp card allowing free meals at some of their restaurants, supportive coworkers, occasionally able to telecommute

ConsSplit days off, unusual hours, traffic in the area

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your salaries and treat your employees a little better, a better work/life balance would be nice

Not much fun anymore

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsUsed to be a very fun company, low pressure company. When faced with making things difficult or simple, the answer was "We're a burger company!" so simple was better.

ConsClung to closely to demands of individuals, both in operations and corporate. Some departments recognized limited resources and planned/filtered accordingly. Other departments thought "it's not my budget that is impacted if I demand the moon".

Advice to Senior ManagementTame the Divas. In the departments that spend the most, look at which other departments are demanding the most from them and evaluate the demands they place on others (HR!)

Worked for Brinker? Contribute to the Community!